Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck vs. Manning

LoudandProud

by the end of his career luck may well end up putting up better numbers than peyton if he has the same longevity, lets face it, the way the game is evolving, luck may have the benefit of starting at the 20 after every kickoff, and the way they are protecting the QB he may never see a pass rush again in a few years lmao

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Im as big of a Luck fan as the next guy, but the kid hasn't even played a playoff game yet. We have no idea how he will perform when he gets there. I think the kid has greatness written all over him, but Im going to wait and see what the future holds before I declare him better than Manning.

can`t find it now, posted it once before: Manning was at the BOTTOM of the list for the Playoffs, of great QB`s, when their Defenses held the opponent to 20 points or less.

What seperates LUCK ALREADY from Manning is that Manning played SCARED in the pocket for his 1st 5+ Years. We all witnessed it!

And he won over 40% of his Regular Season games against the worst 5-6 teams.

The Case Against Manning: Peyton Manning is a lot like Dan Marino—tremendous regular-season success with the “can’t win the big one” label. Manning does have a ring, but it was as a result of a less than spectacular performance in ’06, and it’s safe to say Dominic Rhodes (or Rex Grossman) deserved the MVP for the game.

Manning is a shocking one-and-done seven times in the postseason, and his losses are brutal—blowout losses to Chad Pennington in ’02 and Tom Brady in both ’03 and ’04, an upset loss to Ben Roethlisberger in ’05 and close one-score losses to Philip Rivers in both ’07 and ’08 and Mark Sanchez in ‘10.

Bottom Line: The Indianapolis Colts are a strange organization in that they build their team more around one player than any team ever has in the history of the NFL. While it usually works in the regular season, Peyton Manning’s postseason performances are hard to justify. In nine of the team’s 10 losses, Manning has led the Colts to fewer than 20 points, and his interception to Tracy Porter in the ’09 Super Bowl was possibly the most costly turnover in the history of the NFL.

Manning is a tremendous regular-season quarterback—maybe the best ever—but it’s pretty evident his play in the playoffs is subpar.

can`t find it now, posted it once before: Manning was at the BOTTOM of the list for the Playoffs, of great QB`s, when their Defenses held the opponent to 20 points or less.

What seperates LUCK ALREADY from Manning is that Manning played SCARED in the pocket for his 1st 5+ Years. We all witnessed it!

The Case Against Manning: Peyton Manning is a lot like Dan Marino—tremendous regular-season success with the “can’t win the big one” label. Manning does have a ring, but it was as a result of a less than spectacular performance in ’06, and it’s safe to say Dominic Rhodes (or Rex Grossman) deserved the MVP for the game.

Manning is a shocking one-and-done seven times in the postseason, and his losses are brutal—blowout losses to Chad Pennington in ’02 and Tom Brady in both ’03 and ’04, an upset loss to Ben Roethlisberger in ’05 and close one-score losses to Philip Rivers in both ’07 and ’08 and Mark Sanchez in ‘10.

Bottom Line: The Indianapolis Colts are a strange organization in that they build their team more around one player than any team ever has in the history of the NFL. While it usually works in the regular season, Peyton Manning’s postseason performances are hard to justify. In nine of the team’s 10 losses, Manning has led the Colts to fewer than 20 points, and his interception to Tracy Porter in the ’09 Super Bowl was possibly the most costly turnover in the history of the NFL.

Manning is a tremendous regular-season quarterback—maybe the best ever—but it’s pretty evident his play in the playoffs is subpar.

Oops, From the "Case against Manning" on down is from Bleacher Report.

I'm bookmarking this, for future reference...

Why do you love to hate him...???

Oops, From the "Case against Manning" on down is from Bleacher Report.

This is basically all I meant. In addition, by saying Luck would have 3 or 4 rings I meant even an average postseason QB would have at least 2 given the same set of circumstances. Luck will likely have better success in the postseason while Manning will have all-time great regular season numbers. I, for one (and it really does seem like I am the only one or one of a few) think the rings are the true judge. Some of Manning's teams could have been better but they were good enough and individuals can, and often do, elevate their teams in the postseason. I like Manning by the way so have mercy! :)

and why are people so quick to respond with insults and hatred? It's a discussion board meant for...discussion. I wanted to hear everyone's opinion. These are all opinions. I find it most interesting that Luck seems to be viewed as a "step-dad" in Indy with most of the love currently going to Manning. I have a feeling that will change when Mr. Lombardi becomes a frequent visitor!

This

as will I and in defense of Peyton he should have two rings. Garcon blew the Saints Super Bowl along with what some say brilliant...I say cowardly...onside kick. Peyton does seem to have gotten his jitters under control a bit but we will say how it goes with the Broncos.

Manning... is a living legend. That's that.

In your mind. Manning is a football player, an occupation which hardly deserves the term "legend" associated with it. His achievements are hardly legendary. Someone wins the SB and the MVP every year. There are a handful of QBs in his era who have eclipsed or matched his achievements. He is a very good football player, ONE of the top players of this era.

as will I and in defense of Peyton he should have two rings. Garcon blew the Saints Super Bowl along with what some say brilliant...I say cowardly...onside kick. Peyton does seem to have gotten his jitters under control a bit but we will say how it goes with the Broncos.

and even then when put in the position of leading the team back in the face of adversity there was an ugly pick 6 to seal the deal.

and why are people so quick to respond with insults and hatred? It's a discussion board meant for...discussion. I wanted to hear everyone's opinion. These are all opinions. I find it most interesting that Luck seems to be viewed as a "step-dad" in Indy with most of the love currently going to Manning. I have a feeling that will change when Mr. Lombardi becomes a frequent visitor!

So it wasn't your intention to :stir: . When you make off-the-wall / ignorant / wildy confrontational statements about arguably the most beloved figure in franchise history, people are going to flock to it like :mod:. Does this really astonish you? When a poster appears to have bad intentions, people feel free to let go of their social mores.

Similarly the bold-faced line is so ridiculously that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. (Even ignoring the fact that you likely meant "step-child"). My perspective is a bit different. "I find it interesting that Luck seems to be viewed by some as manna from heaven brought here to salvage a distressed franchise long suffering from the failures of an overpaid dead-weight leader, when in fact we JUST had one of the most extraordinary periods of success in the history of professional sports." The VAST majority of people here are head over heels in love with Luck, and eager to espouse his virtues. Perhaps you are reading the wrong posts, I could link you to several thousand that might make you feel better.

Edited by shecolt

I doubt if there is a bigger fan of Peyton Manning on this board than I am, but the fact is, his well documented history is that he struggled in the big games. It took him game after game to figure out Bellicheck and Brady and he never could figure out the Chargers while he was at Indy. His post season record speaks for itself and frankly, looks pretty pale compared to the regular season, as we all know.

I think the reason he came back was to prove that he CAN consistently win the big ones. Of course, the jury is out and it sure will be a lot of fun to see how that goes for him.

PS: I think Denver is overrated and I hope we get a shot at them in the playoffs.

ColtsHappy

In your mind. Manning is a football player, an occupation which hardly deserves the term "legend" associated with it. His achievements are hardly legendary. Someone wins the SB and the MVP every year. There are a handful of QBs in his era who have eclipsed or matched his achievements. He is a very good football player, ONE of the top players of this era.

Hey OldManP love ya profile picture!! Now that's the greatest QB ever!! Man if he were to play in these times I don't know if we would be having any of these discussions. I count it a great privilege to have gotten to see him play though out most of his career

I guess like most have gotten to see manning but I do count it a privilege to have seen both!! But the times have change where

because of money for the most part they protect these guys to much. What a man to have stuffed mud up his nose to stop the bleeding and keep playing, bowl you over to get a TD. And if you intercepted his pass he was coming at you to knock your block off!!! The times are a changing.

Your right in a broad sense, you're completely in the clear on your wanting to discuss this.

It's just that people have been talking nonstop about this in every single friggin thread! Luck vs.daffy duck or whoever! It's all about what is, what was, what might be. There are no shortage of opinions here, but to say that Peyton underachieved is wrong, and while some of us are still a bit disappointed there isn't more hardware to show for that greatness, to assume Luck will be demonstrably better is just..... not smart.

I doubt if there is a bigger fan of Peyton Manning on this board than I am, but the fact is, his well documented history is that he struggled in the big games. It took him game after game to figure out Bellicheck and Brady and he never could figure out the Chargers while he was at Indy. His post season record speaks for itself and frankly, looks pretty pale compared to the regular season, as we all know.

I think the reason he came back was to prove that he CAN consistently win the big ones. Of course, the jury is out and it sure will be a lot of fun to see how that goes for him.

PS: I think Denver is overrated and I hope we get a shot at them in the playoffs.

ColtsHappy

I hope so too!! Are anyone for that matter. And if for some reason we don't go to any playoffs I'm sure we will be having another

discussion on that I'm sure. Can't wait to see how this all plays out and what people have say about it. God I love this place!!

Coltsince4

Dude... we are talking football. Not the history, accomplishments, and revolutionaries of the human race.

In the football world, he has revolutionized the game. He has paved the way for QB's. The man is a living legend in football.

ColtsHappy

Yes, he did have issues with Belichick coached teams that seldom made mistakes but he made more mistakes vs them. He rarely took checkdowns and went for something longer range than what was available for the longest time in the playoffs till 2006 when Addai and Rhodes caught a lot of checkdowns in our SB run other than running well. Guess who else is going for more long range shots and not taking checkdowns now. Yep, you guessed it, Andrew Luck??? What happened to Luck in his first showdown vs BB??? Yep, a shellacking, much like Peyton has had early in his career. At some point, people have to open their eyes and acknowledge the coaching and team balance disparities the Colts have had in the past decade vs other elite teams. I bet if Luck plays the Pats another time in the playoffs, the results wont be different. They may score only 38 and not 59 but it will still be one sided. If Peyton would have played the Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers every single year of the last decade, the Colts would have struggled in the regular season as well thus putting the regular season numbers on par with what to expect in the playoffs.

Chargers - STs including Sproles and Scifres, not being able to run the ball vs them, their D-line dominating our O-line, our midget CBs not being able to cover their tall WRs, our LBs never being able to cover screen passes and dumpoffs to RBs like I have seen the Steelers and Ravens LBs do etc. are only a few mismatches we had ON THE FIELD that Peyton could not overcome through playing offense alone. From 2005 to 2010, we were 1-5 vs the Chargers, I think and the only game we won was in the regular season, a 23-20 win vs the Chargers and was the only game we average more than 4 YPC vs the Chargers on the ground. Every other game, it was much lower. Why is it that Peyton and the Broncos swept the Chargers in the AFC West if Peyton could never figure out the Chargers? It was because Colts could never match up well vs the Chargers and kept losing.

When you play elite Ds, points will be at a premium in the playoffs (this refers to the guy who said Peyton did not put up 20 points enough times in the playoffs). Not to mention, when a dome team is built around passing and a QB, the run offense and other elements are going to be suffering when playoff football comes around in January. If Luck has the fortune of Grigson building a more balanced team than Peyton had (I am seeing enough signs of it already), Luck will have more SB chances than Peyton from a weaker AFC. Peyton's era - the AFC was definitely a stronger conference for the major part of the decade.

Getting rid of the Polians and the Dungy/Caldwell regime was the best thing that could have happened for the Colts franchise. Luck will benefit from that immensely with possibly better coaching (hopefully) and a possibly better built TEAM around him.

So it wasn't your intention to :stir: . When you make off-the-wall / ignorant / wildy confrontational statements about arguably the most beloved figure in franchise history, people are going to flock to it like :mod:. Does this really astonish you? When a poster appears to have bad intentions, people feel free to let go of their social mores.

Similarly the bold-faced line is so ridiculously that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. (Even ignoring the fact that you likely meant "step-child"). My perspective is a bit different. "I find it interesting that Luck seems to be viewed by some as manna from heaven brought here to salvage a distressed franchise long suffering from the failures of an overpaid dead-weight leader, when in fact we JUST had one of the most extraordinary periods of success in the history of professional sports." The VAST majority of people here are head over heels in love with Luck, and eager to espouse his virtues. Perhaps you are reading the wrong posts, I could link you to several thousand that might make you feel better.

Brilliantly written!!!

Lordy wordy there are some serious 'short term' memory issues around these boards..

I say shame on all of you that degrade the QB that gave you all 10+ win seasons year after year after year. Helped give you a fancy new stadium. Re wrote the record books for the Colts and the NFL. Gave nothing but his best and all every dang game. Brought the city of Indy and the fan base world wide honor abd professionalism.

You can love Luck all you want, but get real. Give credit where its due. These threads are ridiculous and I would have no problem saying that I think Luck would agree, this is preposterous!

Hello Chad72 and the board....

Thanks so much for breaking it all down for us, really appreciated, but my post still stands. I think we all know the history, after all most of here I assume LIVED through it.

We all have to see now how Peyton will do now that (supposedly) all the proper "pieces" are around him and we will see how great that Denver team really is. I personally think the Broncos are overated as previously suggested, and also believe that they have holes - holes that others will find as likely excuses should the Broncos fail to at least reach the super bowl. It will never be Peyton's fault - and I suppose that is as it should be - the man has earned the right for it NOT to be his fault after all those years of amazingness.

There were a lot of injuries and our boy Luck learned a LOT in the Patriot's game. We also have the possibility of having Chuck back on the sidelines for the playoffs and it is unmeasurable the boost that could bring to this young team. I tend to disagree with you about the outcome - should we be blessed enough to get another shot at the Patriots this year - I honestly believe that under the right circumstances we could prevail. Yes, it would also take some LUCK along with a nearly perfect performance by Andrew! But that is what makes this board so much fun and so special. It's all speculation - fairly useless discourse for the most part - but so much fun and so entertaining to speculate - and see who is right and who is wrong. But in the end, one of my other heroes Johnny U. said it best and he said it before every Colts game right before they took the field: "Talk is cheap, let's play the game".

Facts are facts and regardless of circumstances Peyton's pattern is that he has generally struggled in the big games.

Best,

ColtsHappy

In nine of the team’s 10 losses, Manning has led the Colts to fewer than 20 points, and his interception to Tracy Porter in the ’09 Super Bowl was possibly the most costly turnover in the history of the NFL.

Eli Manning's Giants, in his 2 SB runs, NEVER gave up more than 20 points in any playoff game.

2 critical games he won 17-14 - SB 42 and the 2011 NFCCG vs 49ers 20-17

No one is here criticizing Eli. Why, because his TEAM won? Because his STs forced 2 turnovers that led to 2 FGs that allowed him to win it??? Guess what, when Peyton's D finally stepped up, he won the SB. But then, it is twisted around and people say Peyton won because of his D and running game, not because of him.

All I can is there are too many ungrateful and/or ignorant folks on this board that I wish to ignore. I am grateful for what Peyton has done for this franchise and like any other player that has donned the horseshoe, I will always wish him well except when he plays the Colts, same thing for Dallas Clark or Jeff Saturday etc. If you are thankful for what Unitas did for the franchise, the same respect and appreciation has to be given to Peyton too, IMO. Whether Peyton does well or not, it is upto him and his new team. I can only talk intelligently about the Colts' playoff losses in the past few years unfortunately, not about any other teams' losses. Peyton has had plenty of faults, but to state that the Colts' team make up and coaching has had nothing to do with the playoff losses would be ignorant and short sighted.

Hello Chad72 and the board....

Thanks so much for breaking it all down for us, really appreciated, but my post still stands. I think we all know the history, after all most of here I assume LIVED through it.

We all have to see now how Peyton will do now that (supposedly) all the proper "pieces" are around him and we will see how great that Denver team really is. I personally think the Broncos are overated as previously suggested, and also believe that they have holes - holes that others will find as likely excuses should the Broncos fail to at least reach the super bowl. It will never be Peyton's fault - and I suppose that is as it should be - the man has earned the right for it NOT to be his fault after all those years of amazingness.

There were a lot of injuries and our boy Luck learned a LOT in the Patriot's game. We also have the possibility of having Chuck back on the sidelines for the playoffs and it is unmeasurable the boost that could bring to this young team. I tend to disagree with you about the outcome - should we be blessed enough to get another shot at the Patriots this year - I honestly believe that under the right circumstances we could prevail. Yes, it would also take some LUCK along with a nearly perfect performance by Andrew! But that is what makes this board so much fun and so special. It's all speculation - fairly useless discourse for the most part - but so much fun and so entertaining to speculate - and see who is right and who is wrong. But in the end, one of my other heroes Johnny U. said it best and he said it before every Colts game right before they took the field: "Talk is cheap, let's play the game".

Facts are facts and regardless of circumstances Peyton's pattern is that he has generally struggled in the big games.

Best,

ColtsHappy

You can say that again and again and again...:)

Most on here defend Viniateri as clutch. We know why. If we use the same rationale, Peyton was / is not clutch. We need to make up our minds guys.

The OP reference to Luck etc is as ludicrous as it is funny. He's not even posted a winning season yet..... (edit: review Monday morning...)

Actually he has. They can't do no worse than 8-8, so technically it can't be a losing season. I know what you're saying though. :thmup:

you just had one of the best regular season runs in professional sports history. Luck offers you a chance at sustained playoff success. My post wasn't confrontational at all.

Edited by shecolt

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, December 9, 2012 - response to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, December 9, 2012 - response to removed post

some of you have no manners whatsoever. Grab some manners and we can have a real debate!

I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show from here...... :popcorn: