Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck vs. Manning

LoudandProud

I've heard a lot of talk about Luck stepping into some big shoes and I can't help but think that for all of Manning's greatness he probably underachieved in Indianapolis to a fairly large degree. He was a regular season genius but Luck looks like he's much better suited for the postseason and my expectations for him are much greater than with Manning. If Luck was at the helm during the recent run the Colts probably have 3 or 4 rings. What is the general feeling in Indianapolis about Manning's tenure? All the regular season stats are wonderful but I'm not that thrilled with the one ring.

Thanks.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a lot of talk about Luck stepping into some big shoes and I can't help but think that for all of Manning's greatness he probably underachieved in Indianapolis to a fairly large degree. He was a regular season genius but Luck looks like he's much better suited for the postseason and my expectations for him are much greater than with Manning. If Luck was at the helm during the recent run the Colts probably have 3 or 4 rings. What is the general feeling in Indianapolis about Manning's tenure? All the regular season stats are wonderful but I'm not that thrilled with the one ring.

Thanks.

Lets talk in a few years, shall we? Shakes his head and walks away :)

What do I think about Manning's tenure?

He's the greatest quarterback in Colts history. He revolutionized the game. That's what he's remembered for.

Him having only one ring (where he could have had more) is not because of him, it's because of the coaching, the supporting cast (defense wasn't great). He could have gotten more had he had good coaches to make it clearer. That's right, I said coaching was a problem. Tony Dungy is a very nice guy, but he's the reason the Colts only have 1 SB. There have been so many playoff games that the Colts have won and lost where Dungy has been out coached. All the Pats games are great indicators of being out coached. I look to that Steelers game in 05, not doing anything to prevent the blitzes (PM can't do everything in 25 seconds).

Gosh, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

I am beginning to get the feeling that more and more Colts fans would probably relish Peyton losing, even if it is not at the hands of Colts (you know who you are).

Some will do so to say "I told you so" from an anti-Peyton stance. Some will do so, hoping to keep away the "I told you so" fans from the pro-Peyton stance.

This is precisely the reason I dont want a Colts-Broncos playoff game soon because I feel it will do no good towards uniting this fan base under the horseshoe.

At some point, the new era Luck fans will also start realizing that SB rings are not handed out like candy in a store, even with good teams assembled.

Peyton will one day go down as the greatest regular season QB to ever play the game if he remains healthy no amount of postseason shortcomings will erase that as most Im sure would agree. The reason Peyton did not have more rings was not Peytons fault primarily although his numbers in the playoffs were not that great. our defense was always the problem. We had below average Corners at best throughout the Peyton era, brought in two defensive tackles (Simon, Mcfarland)who were studs before they came to the Colts but largely did not pan out the 3 combined years they were here (Simon 2-with his first year being his best year but not reaching his level of play from his Philly days, Mcfarland 1-was a factor during that season, recording 2 sacks but only managed 11 games played and previous to that year had not played in a full season since 2003 at Tampa, so we did try to make improvements at DT they just did not work out very long. It is what it is, we had a dangerous offense especially when Edge was healthy but Peyton was forced to carry the team way to much, the year we won the Super Bowl I was borderline shocked that it was our defense that stepped up in the playoffs

why cant we just be happy we are one of the few lucky franchises to go from one franchsie qb to another. look at the dolphins. their still looking for the next dan marino and its been 14 years of suffering. browns havent had a decent qb since koser and that was the 80s.

He's the greatest quarterback in Colts history. He revolutionized the game. That's what he's remembered for.

Him having only one ring (where he could have had more) is not because of him, it's because of the coaching, the supporting cast (defense wasn't great). He could have gotten more had he had good coaches to make it clearer. That's right, I said coaching was a problem. Tony Dungy is a very nice guy, but he's the reason the Colts only have 1 SB. There have been so many playoff games that the Colts have won and lost where Dungy has been out coached. All the Pats games are great indicators of being out coached. I look to that Steelers game in 05, not doing anything to prevent the blitzes (PM can't do everything in 25 seconds).

I completely agree.

Thanks.

:scorebad:

Thanks.

I don't think any Colt's fans are thrilled that Peyton only obtained one ring while with the Colts. Although one is much greater than zero when it comes to something that is not easily obtained.

However, I have always viewed football as the ultimate team sport which is why I have never understood any of these Manning vs Brady, Luck vs Griffin threads, and now this thread. Perhaps, I am just more stupid about football than I thought; but I just don't get it.

And, I do agree with those who say it is too early to make any comparisons. I think Peyton played 13 seasons (can't count last year) as a Colt. That equals to 208 regular season games whereas Andrew has played in 12.

I don't know how many post season games Peyton played in as a Colt, but I know that Andrew hasn't played in any yet. So, will Andrew be more successful at the helm? Only time will tell. I hope he is and I think even Peyton would hope so.

But, just like Peyton; Andrew can't play the game by himself. He needs coaches/teammates to help him be successful . . . which brings me back to the "I just don't get" when it comes to all these comparisons. Perhaps, someone can give me a clue.

I think you guys should be satisfied with Luck. You're 8-4 and still talking about Peyton, let it go already. Sorta like all the "RGIII vs Luck" crap, again you're 8-4, while the Skins are 6-6 clinging to their lives.

I absolutely will not be rooting for the Broncos during the playoffs weather they have Peyton or not, I absolutely despise that team.

Thanks.

I would like to start this off by stating my original screen name was colts18288. I read this post and thought to myself............. self, how best could you point out.................................You know what????? I aint got the words.............You sir, are responible for this screen name. For 30 days I dedicate this to you.

Thanks.

Let's just wait to see Luck in the playoffs first before we make that assumption. I hope so, but he has a lot to prove.

Thanks.

What?? WOW

When Manning is at the top of his game, there isnt a more feared quarterback in NFL history. That guy is a human computer.

I think you guys should be satisfied with Luck. You're 8-4 and still talking about Peyton, let it go already. Sorta like all the "RGIII vs Luck" crap, again you're 8-4, while the Skins are 6-6 clinging to their lives.

I absolutely will not be rooting for the Broncos during the playoffs weather they have Peyton or not, I absolutely despise that team.

I am I am satisfied you just don't know how much I am with Luck!

When Manning is at the top of his game, there isnt a more feared quarterback in NFL history. That guy is a human computer.

Beautifully stated Andy & rdskns4eva! Doubting Yoda's AKA Peyton Manning's intellectual prowess just makes him stronger...An NFL roster is composed of 53 players; #18 is not an island. A little help is necessary every now & then. :thmup:

I like what i've seen from Luck so far,but he hasn't played a playoff game yet,kinda hard to say he will be more clutch.i've been around a long time,i enjoyed the Peyton era despite "only" one superbowl ring.I've seen great quarterbacks who never won any(Dan Marino,Dan fouts,ect.).

Good point Robert Johnson! Only 1 thing defines NFL clutchness: Playoff victories. Let's see how Luck performs when both the stakes & the temperate rise dramatically shall we...

Saying Luck would have 3-4 rings is just plain crazy. U might as well slap Peyton in the face. How many yrs u giving Luck before u think he should have a SB ring? According to u he should win a SB ring by his 3rd year. I'll give him 5 yrs

Thank you Vltrophy1 for that very astute & sharp observation. I appreciate that. :hat::D Just like the GB Packers, I still love #63 Jeff Saturday & want him & his new team to perform well.

Thanks.

alot of post sesaon was

Colts 1. Never having a really balanced team,

& 2. never fully healthy , I mean key players , in playoffs save for 2006 SB win

Peyton was reason Colts got to playoffs in first place ,m he cant make the run alone

That is nothing against Luck, Team will learn from past mistakes, Irsay will, dififferent minded coaches want monster team, build that line and fight in trenches

new philosophy will go well & Luck has shown great ability when it counts most and I think Colts do have shot for multiple wins as a TEAM but will not quaraantee it, This year out of all has shown many a strange Sunday win

BUT NEVER TAKE AWAY ANYTHING FROM PEYTONS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

alot of post sesaon was

Colts 1. Never having a really balanced team,

& 2. never fully healthy , I mean key players , in playoffs save for 2006 SB win

Peyton was reason Colts got to playoffs in first place ,m he cant make the run alone

That is nothing against Luck, Team will learn from past mistakes, Irsay will, dififferent minded coaches want monster team, build that line and fight in trenches

new philosophy will go well & Luck has shown great ability when it counts most and I think Colts do have shot for multiple wins as a TEAM but will not quaraantee it, This year out of all has shown many a strange Sunday win

BUT NEVER TAKE AWAY ANYTHING FROM PEYTONS ACCOMPLISHMENTS

In 2008 or 2009, when #18 had a bursa sac removed from his knee, Peyton almost singlehandedly won something like 7 or 8 games straight just to reach the post season alone. Never & I mean never short change or second guess the almighty Yoda. Plus, GM Bill Polian was never that great at replenishing defensive players either except for 2005-2006 maybe. Defense not offense wins Championships in my book.

Far too early to consider this and using SB wins as the differentiator to compare individual players just doesn't cut it.

To continue the Yodaisms...

yoda-patience1.jpg

Like your omnipresent wisdom I do SCC! :thmup:haha I ran out of likes my friend. I will rectify this situation on your behalf tomorrow. You have my word.

Far too early to consider this and using SB wins as the differentiator to compare individual players just doesn't cut it.

To continue the Yodaisms...

yoda-patience1.jpg

I hate using SB wins as a comparison as its a TEAM WIN OR LOSE NOT AN INDIVIDUAL

In 2008 or 2009, when #18 had a bursa sac removed from his knee, Peyton almost singlehandedly won something like 7 or 8 games straight just to reach the post season alone. Never & I mean never short change or second guess the almighty Yoda. Plus, GM Bill Polian was never that great at replenishing defensive players either except for 2005-2006 maybe. Defense not offense wins Championships in my book.

also after the infected knee bursal sac removal

Peyton sat out all four preseason games and missed most of training camp.

was 8 straight I believe with super performance on a Thursday night Vs Jaxsonville, late in Seasoon to secure 5th seed in playoff I belive and won offensive player of week & fed ex air playerr that week & 3rd MVP that t year & finally wwon like 7 games with late 4th quarter drives

Not to shabby

Thats all for me , busy day ahead , Go Colts

My Holiday,

Hanukkah ( spelled many ways ) starts tonight at sundown ,