Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock FA/Draft

These choice may not be to everyone's taste and they're certainly not the most glamorous, but they're based on scheme fit, relationship with coaches and $.

FREE AGENCY

Mike Wallace, WR, Steelers - may come at a higher price than what his 2012 play deserves, but Wallace is a legit deep threat receiver who is familiar with Arians/the offense.

Louis Vasquez, OG, Chargers - huge guy who fits our blocking scheme. Manusky will have faced this guy in San Diego so maybe he'll bang the table for him. Only 25 too.

Antwan Barnes, OLB, Chargers - with Freeney bound to leave, we need to fill the defense will players who can play in a 3-4, and Barnes can. Had 11 sacks in Manusky's D last year. Also been with Philadelphia and Baltimore (whilst Grigson and Pagano were there, respectively)

Mike Jenkins, CB, Cowboys - openly said he wants to play man coverage, and has success in such a scheme. We targeted him in the summer and could do again.

DRAFT

Trade down from 21-24 to 28-32, pick up a third rounder (see Cincy/Pats trade from 2012 for a vague reference).

First Round: Barrett Jones, OG/C, Alabama - another guy who fits our blocking scheme well. Impeccable character, versatile and should be a solid NFL starter. Not sure his athleticism will blow people away, but he's proven he can pass and run block.

Third Round: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - could've been a first/second rounder had he stayed at 3-4 OLB. Now playing in a 4-3, his productivity has slipped, as has his draft stock. He's a speedy guy off the edge who can get after the QB.

Third Round (via trade): Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State - corner who excels in man coverage, solid tackler and can also be a ballhawk.

Fourth Round: Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State - big guy who's played DE and NT for Miss State. Just a depth guy really, because I think Moala, Johnson and Mathews are FA's in 2013?

Late Round Comp pick (tba) - Dustin Hopkins, K, FSU - Vinatieri is on his last legs (no pun intended), so drafting his successor might just come this year.

These choice may not be to everyone's taste and they're certainly not the most glamorous, but they're based on scheme fit, relationship with coaches and $.

FREE AGENCY

Mike Wallace, WR, Steelers - may come at a higher price than what his 2012 play deserves, but Wallace is a legit deep threat receiver who is familiar with Arians/the offense.

Louis Vasquez, OG, Chargers - huge guy who fits our blocking scheme. Manusky will have faced this guy in San Diego so maybe he'll bang the table for him. Only 25 too.

Antwan Barnes, OLB, Chargers - with Freeney bound to leave, we need to fill the defense will players who can play in a 3-4, and Barnes can. Had 11 sacks in Manusky's D last year. Also been with Philadelphia and Baltimore (whilst Grigson and Pagano were there, respectively)

Mike Jenkins, CB, Cowboys - openly said he wants to play man coverage, and has success in such a scheme. We targeted him in the summer and could do again.

DRAFT

Trade down from 21-24 to 28-32, pick up a third rounder (see Cincy/Pats trade from 2012 for a vague reference).

First Round: Barrett Jones, OG/C, Alabama - another guy who fits our blocking scheme well. Impeccable character, versatile and should be a solid NFL starter. Not sure his athleticism will blow people away, but he's proven he can pass and run block.

Third Round: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - could've been a first/second rounder had he stayed at 3-4 OLB. Now playing in a 4-3, his productivity has slipped, as has his draft stock. He's a speedy guy off the edge who can get after the QB.

Third Round (via trade): Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State - corner who excels in man coverage, solid tackler and can also be a ballhawk.

Fourth Round: Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State - big guy who's played DE and NT for Miss State. Just a depth guy really, because I think Moala, Johnson and Mathews are FA's in 2013?

Late Round Comp pick (tba) - Dustin Hopkins, K, FSU - Vinatieri is on his last legs (no pun intended), so drafting his successor might just come this year.

Switch Jones with Warmack or Cooper.

Matt Elam would be an awesome Secondary addition, if we could grab him some how. Could possibly help us against the run right away in his rookie year.

I love Elam, think he's gonna be a really good player. Just not sure Pagano will move on from Zbi already...he should, but not sure he will.

I love Elam, think he's gonna be a really good player. Just not sure Pagano will move on from Zbi already...he should, but not sure he will.

I thought the same thing initially, but then logic got the better of me. Pags had no problem benching Zibs in Baltimore, so I'm thinking (hoping) that he is committed solely to fielding the most effective team regardless of allegiances.

I thought the same thing initially, but then logic got the better of me. Pags had no problem benching Zibs in Baltimore, so I'm thinking (hoping) that he is committed solely to fielding the most effective team regardless of allegiances.

Not a bad point actually, hadn't thought of that.

I like your free agency signings other than Wallace. I dont think we need another deep threat WR. We already have Hilton and Brazill even if we dont resign Avery. Plus I dont wanna overpay for a guy who isnt even a top 10 WR in my book.

Replace the Wallace signing with SS Kenny Phillips and Im happy there. I would also try and sign Sam Shields as well.

Not crazy about the 1st round pick either. I would rather have us get help on the DL. Guys like Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd are guys I like.

Yeah.....

Why in the world would we want to re-sign Avery.... I mean, what has that guy done for the Colts lately???

Yeah.....

Why in the world would we want to re-sign Avery.... I mean, what has that guy done for the Colts lately???

Oh nothing really just caught the game winner against the Detroit Lions is all

I like it except Im not sold on Porter and it has little to do with production and more to do with his 6'2" 230lbs frame. in the 3rd I would consider drafting Brandon Jenkins instead while trading a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft for 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft and draft Ricky Wagner or Robert Lester

I like it except Im not sold on Porter and it has little to do with production and more to do with his 6'2" 230lbs frame. in the 3rd I would consider drafting Brandon Jenkins instead while trading a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft for 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft and draft Ricky Wagner or Robert Lester

Porter production went down because A&M switched defenses, he doesn't play 3-4 olb there anymore, he plays 4-3 OLB there now thats why his sacks are down because he didn't get as many oppurtunities as last year but he has pretty much the same tackles from last year. Im not really concerned with his size he is the same size as Von Miller when he played for A&M

Porter production went down because A&M switched defenses, he doesn't play 3-4 olb there anymore, he plays 4-3 OLB there now thats why his sacks are down because he didn't get as many oppurtunities as last year but he has pretty much the same tackles from last year. Im not really concerned with his size he is the same size as Von Miller when he played for A&M

I know why it went down and I also know weight can be gained but I guess I just got this thing with Brandon Jenkins, he was a stud pre injury, Honestly I think we will be drafting low enough in the rounds( that we do have draft picks in) that we wont have a shot at Porter and probably even Jenkins if he is healthy by then

I know why it went down and I also know weight can be gained but I guess I just got this thing with Brandon Jenkins, he was a stud pre injury, Honestly I think we will be drafting low enough in the rounds( that we do have draft picks in) that we wont have a shot at Porter and probably even Jenkins if he is healthy by then

yea Brandon Jenkins is a beast and should fall a little bit because of his injury(but how far will he drop is the question). Also Grigson said we will get a conditional draft pick from Miami in that Vontae trade(hopefully its a 5th round pick) but that would none the less give us another pick in the draft

yea Brandon Jenkins is a beast and should fall a little bit because of his injury(but how far will he drop is the question). Also Grigson said we will get a conditional draft pick from Miami in that Vontae trade(hopefully its a 5th round pick) but that would none the less give us another pick in the draft

what do ya think about my idea of giving up a 2nd round 2014 pick for a 2nd round 2013 pick and drafting Jenkins with that pick if he is healthy by then

what do ya think about my idea of giving up a 2nd round 2014 pick for a 2nd round 2013 pick and drafting Jenkins with that pick if he is healthy by then

Definitely wouldn't mind it at all.

but why would a team want to give up their current 2nd round pick just for our 2nd round pick next year. we would have to add something/someone to that trade in order for that to happen

but why would a team want to give up their current 2nd round pick just for our 2nd round pick next year. we would have to add something/someone to that trade in order for that to happen

Drake Nevis to Bucs or Bengals or Lions (D Line depth for Lions and they are an aggressive 4-3 team) , I'd plan on drafting Margus Hunt in the 4th or Vellano in the 5th or Baker Steinkuhler in the 5th

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/vellano_joe01.html Info on Vellano from Maryland site

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1515331 Info on Baker from Nebraska site

Drake Nevis to Bucs or Bengals or Lions (D Line depth for Lions and they are an aggressive 4-3 team) , I'd plan on drafting Margus Hunt in the 4th or Vellano in the 5th or Baker Steinkuhler in the 5th

http://www.umterps.c...lano_joe01.html Info on Vellano from Maryland site

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=1515331 Info on Baker from Nebraska site

also Brandon Williams out of Missouri Southern in the 4th round, he is 6'3 325lbs and plays 3-4 NT and 3-4 end in college. He is the Division II Defensive player of the year, and he got his invitation to the senior bowl today so look for him at the senior bowl.

i would like mike jenkins and vasquez but that's about it. barret jones will go in the 2nd round lacks elite strength and if we were gonna go o-line in the 1st round i would rather it be eric fisher or jonathan cooper.

Cooper is better fit for a Zone Blocking scheme from the looks of it he is mobile but undersized for a Man Blocking scheme, I also think he is a 2nd round pick, I like Cooper but would have liked him better as our pick on 2011 draft when we had a Zone Blocking O Line scheme(I wish we would go back to that for the most part to instead of using it some but not much

Cooper is better fit for a Zone Blocking scheme from the looks of it he is mobile but undersized for a Man Blocking scheme, I also think he is a 2nd round pick, I like Cooper but would have liked him better as our pick on 2011 draft when we had a Zone Blocking O Line scheme(I wish we would go back to that for the most part to instead of using it some but not much

cooper is still bigger than barrett jones...if the measurables are correct

cooper is still bigger than barrett jones...if the measurables are correct

but Jones is already familiar with the Man scheme (everything I read on both Zone Scheme and Man leads me to think Zone is easier to grasp then Man. According to WalterFootball Jones is 6'5" 311 and Cooper is 6'3" 295lbs, if those measurabes are correct, who knows until Pro Daay comes around or Combine, Walter Football also noted he could be a better fit in a Zone scheme, I haver never seen him play so I dont know about him, But have several Alabama gams on DVR

but Jones is already familiar with the Man scheme (everything I read on both Zone Scheme and Man leads me to think Zone is easier to grasp then Man. According to WalterFootball Jones is 6'5" 311 and Cooper is 6'3" 295lbs, if those measurabes are correct, who knows until Pro Daay comes around or Combine, Walter Football also noted he could be a better fit in a Zone scheme, I haver never seen him play so I dont know about him, But have several Alabama gams on DVR

most of the measurables i have seen have jones at 6'4 305 and cooper at 6'3 310, but i have seen the 295 on cooper also. but yeah, i have read the same thing on cooper being a perfect fit for a zone scheme.