Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady, Patriots go to great lengths to prepare for Texans

bayone

Schaub is going to hand the ball of regardless of what zone blitz schemes the Patriots want to show early. The Patriots will sell out to stop the run. Once that is a confirmed component of that side of the game you'll see Schaub gamble down field with Johnson a bit. The Texans have nothing to gain by exposing Schaub and they won't. If the Texans win it will be a close low scoring game, so the outcome will be determined elsewhere.

With Vince Wilfork, the run is already nearly dead anyway. Believe me, Bill Belichick isn't going to do anything exotic here. The key for NE is hit Shaub often & disrupt Houston's WR's & TE's off the line of scrimmage. Eventually, Schaub will see LB's & DE's bearing down on him even in time outs.

The Texans have nothing to gain by exposing Schaub and they won't. If the Texans win it will be a close low scoring game, so the outcome will be determined elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with "exposing Schaub." If you disrupt WR & TE routes off the line of scrimmage & Matt isn't fast on his feet, NE either gets a coverage sack or a QB sack. It's as simple as that.

I agree GoPats 100% However, what is Houston's biggest offensive weapon? WR Andre Johnson or RB Arian Foster? Who is more important for NE to stop? That's the real question IMO.

A valid case could easily be made for both men. Both are equally dangerous.

That's a good point.

I remember reading about Belichick coaching the Giants' D in the "wide right" Superbowl. He went into the first defensive meeting with his game-plan ready. He had decided that if the Giants focused on the passing game and gave the Bills the run game, that would be their best shot. He told his players, "If you allow Thurman Thomas pick up 100 yards, you'll win this game." They all sort of looked around the room as if to ask, "He crazy?" But that's exactly how it played out. The Giants gave the Bills the run, but did enough to disrupt the run-and-shoot and held Kelly and the passing game in check.

In SB 36, he decided the focal point of the Rams' offense was Marshall Faulk, not Warner. So he had his players hit Faulk at every opportunity to throw him off his routes, throw his timing off, etc.

Maybe it's Schaub-Johnson and the feeling will be that the Texans won't be able to keep up with just the ground game. But Foster is just so good... I've got to believe it'll be about stopping him first and foremost.

That's a good point.

I remember reading about Belichick coaching the Giants' D in the "wide right" Superbowl. He went into the first defensive meeting with his game-plan ready. He had decided that if the Giants focused on the passing game and gave the Bills the run game, that would be their best shot. He told his players, "If you allow Thurman Thomas pick up 100 yards, you'll win this game." They all sort of looked around the room as if to ask, "He crazy?" But that's exactly how it played out. The Giants gave the Bills the run, but did enough to disrupt the run-and-shoot and held Kelly and the passing game in check.

In SB 36, he decided the focal point of the Rams' offense was Marshall Faulk, not Warner. So he had his players hit Faulk at every opportunity to throw him off his routes, throw his timing off, etc.

Maybe it's Schaub-Johnson and the feeling will be that the Texans won't be able to keep up with just the ground game. But Foster is just so good... I've got to believe it'll be about stopping him first and foremost.

2 valid points my friend. Today, I will be writing a book review of "The Education Of A Coach" by David Halberstam. I will be posting it on my blog entry "The Grey Hoodie, Bill Belichick, & the Patriot Way" be sure to check it out GOPats & all my friends on here as well. Thank you. :thmup:

2 valid points my friend. Today, I will be writing a book review of "The Education Of A Coach" by David Halberstam. I will be posting it on my blog entry "The Grey Hoodie, Bill Belichick, & the Patriot Way" be sure to check it out GOPats & all my friends on here as well. Thank you. :thmup:

That's a great book... any look inside the very reclusive world of Bill Belichick is usually a good time. He's a lot more personable than people give him credit for and like many people at the tops of their fields, he's a bit misunderstood I think.

Is your blog URL posted with your profile?

That's a great book... any look inside the very reclusive world of Bill Belichick is usually a good time. He's a lot more personable than people give him credit for and like many people at the tops of their fields, he's a bit misunderstood I think.

Is your blog URL posted with your profile?

Actually, once I am done with it, I will post the exact link in an e-mail to all my NE friends on here etc. True genius is always misinterpreted. Very sad really.

The real question is when NE goes no huddle and hurry up....what does Houston do...

They arent an especially quick 'D' anyway and that 'downhill' quick step attack shredded Denver...

Houston, which has faded since midsesaon defrensively, has to find an answer that many other teams have not found

'nuff said :woah:

I agree GoPats 100% However, what is Houston's biggest offensive weapon? WR Andre Johnson or RB Arian Foster? Who is more important for NE to stop? That's the real question IMO.

A valid case could easily be made for both men. Both are equally dangerous.

Foster was held to 46 yards on 15 carries. He had a TD and a handful of nice runs, but the Pats' D did a real nice job of containing him and not letting him get outside.

I sort of expected that.

What I most certainly did NOT expect was to see them blitz Schaub on more than half of the Texans' passing plays, rattle him badly, and basically throw him entirely off his game. He was all over the place with his accuracy and looked very limited in terms of his ability to see the field (especially on the INT). I really thought Schaub was better (and he probably is) than he showed the other night. Just a bad game for him, I think. But the Patriots certainly contributed to that.