Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady, Patriots go to great lengths to prepare for Texans

bayone

" using guys with racquetball paddles and stick those up in the air,” to mimic Texan defenders on DL especiaally jj watt from battering down balls Brady throws

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/12/brady-patriots-go-to-great-lengths-to-prepare-for-texans/

Tom Brady: Patriots going the extra length to prepare for Texans

The Texans have come to rely on stud defensive lineman J.J. Watt, who has 15.5 sacks this season, second best in the league. He’s also accounted for 15 passes defensed, batting down passes from the line of scrimmage. He’ll move around on Monday and test each of the team’s offensive linemen, Brady said.

“He’s an incredible player. The way that he gets after the quarterback, stops the run. I think he does both those things well, stopping the run, rushing the quarterback, as well as defending the pass game with those balls batted down. So he’s as impressive a player as you could see on film with his agility, his quickness, his length, his instinctiveness to get his hands in the air to jump and bat balls down.”

To prepare, the Patriots will likely use racquetball paddles to simulate Watt’s length and ability to knock passes down, Brady said.

“I know coach [bill] Belichick likes to bring guys with racquetball paddles and stick those up in the air,” he said. “I’m sure there will be a whole bunch of those this week, which doesn’t always make me very happy. But that’s probably a good way to prepare for it. It’s like throwing over this (pointing) wall, it’s hard. We’ve played other big lines before. Tall guys that are rangy. The Giants did a great job of that last year. This is another team that really challenges you to do that.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2012/12/05/tom-brady-patriots-going-the-extra-length-prepare-for-texans/UMTGTAHdCfEkyKJsPDUCBJ/story.html

Love this gimmicky stuff Belichick does in practice.

Prior to SB36 (against the Rams), he had the scout team offense lining up with their receivers intentionally offsides by about three yards. That was intended to get New England's defensive backs used to the explosiveness of the Rams' receivers off the line. I think it worked. ;)

Love this gimmicky stuff Belichick does in practice.

Prior to SB36 (against the Rams), he had the scout team offense lining up with their receivers intentionally offsides by about three yards. That was intended to get New England's defensive backs used to the explosiveness of the Rams' receivers off the line. I think it worked. ;)

new u would like this

as I always said Brady is Great , BB is an innovative genius allowing Brady too flourish and the Pats in general

I am not saying Brady wouldn't flourish anyway , anywhere

Just saying BB thinking out of the box is a thing of beauty & that's something during in game situation one cant prepare for

No offense to Brady or Manning & other players but arguments can be made that if BB takes the KNEE for the win at games end, he is then a player and stats aside his intangibles make him a runner for MVP

Its a coaching and QB mismatch..

I agree. I think the Patriots have the ability to neutralize Houston's greatest defensive strengths. On the other hand, the Texans can move the ball, and the Patriots give up a lot of yards. The key for Houston is going to be scoring at the end of long drives, staying away from turnovers.

This game will not come down to Brady, it will come down to Schaub. If Schaub goes for 300 yards and 3 TDs with no INTs, I'd have to bet the Texans are favored. Schaub has been considerably overlooked and the Pats' D's strength is not having to commit extra men in the box to play the run so that they can play zone and limit the Texans' passing. Texans need to run and finish drives. They are tops in time of possession in the league, I think, and they should strive for the same vs the Pats.

I read a stat about Wade Philips - when he has sent 5 or more rushers, 43.7% of the time, the Texans have given up either 30+ yard passes or TDs. That is an alarmingly high number. Plus, when Wade Philips sent extra blitzers while playing Brady as DC of the Cowboys, Brady lit them up. But then, the Pats lit everyone up in 2007, except a handful of teams including the Colts (thanks to Frathis :)).

Wade Philips' and the Texans' D best bet is to pressure Brady and play very good coverage. Line J.J.Watt across different guards so that Brady does not have a specific lane he gets comfortable with throwing in and has to be aware constantly. If the edge rushers cannot get to Brady, let them jump for the ball and tip it, that helps too.

This game will not come down to Brady, it will come down to Schaub. If Schaub goes for 300 yards and 3 TDs with no INTs, I'd have to bet the Texans are favored. Schaub has been considerably overlooked and the Pats' D's strength is not having to commit extra men in the box to play the run so that they can play zone and limit the Texans' passing. Texans need to run and finish drives. They are tops in time of possession in the league, I think, and they should strive for the same vs the Pats.

I read a stat about Wade Philips - when he has sent 5 or more rushers, 43.7% of the time, the Texans have given up either 30+ yard passes or TDs. That is an alarmingly high number. Plus, when Wade Philips sent extra blitzers while playing Brady as DC of the Cowboys, Brady lit them up. But then, the Pats lit everyone up in 2007, except a handful of teams including the Colts (thanks to Frathis :)).

Wade Philips' and the Texans' D best bet is to pressure Brady and play very good coverage. Line J.J.Watt across different guards so that Brady does not have a specific lane he gets comfortable with throwing in and has to be aware constantly. If the edge rushers cannot get to Brady, let them jump for the ball and tip it, that helps too.

it will come down to that as he & andre make a stellar combo when on, or Brady may light up the CB's as theyy are injured

this year , sometimes when expect high scoring firepower u get the reverse, Quite a strange year indeed

“They certainly get after the football,” Brady said. “They can rush a quarterback. They do a great job stopping the run. I think coach said they have pretty much every statistic you could name. They’re on tops of the league. That’s why they’re 11-1... They’re 6-0 on the road. I think our guys understand the challenge and I think we have to play our best game.”

"Well they’re a great football team,” Brady said...They’re an excellent football team in all three phases."

I love the respect to UW-Madison Alumni/Texans DE JJ Watt too BTW Tom Brady. :thmup: See Below:

“He’s an incredible player. The way that he gets after the quarterback, stops the run. I think he does both those things well, stopping the run, rushing the quarterback, as well as defending the pass game with those balls batted down. So he’s as impressive a player as you could see on film with his agility, his quickness, his length, his instinctiveness to get his hands in the air to jump and bat balls down.”

This is why I respect Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, & the NE Patriots. There are accurate, truthful, & they give credit where credit is due. Thank you :flyingelvis:

I hope the Pats beat the crap out of the Texans.

Actually, I have a feeling that this game could easily come down to the final possession. Whoever has the ball in the last remaining 30-45 seconds. Bring the heat full throttle Wade Phillips a heck of a DC! I'm still so jealous Houston and my pals QuizBoy & Vance87 landed him. haha I laughed so hard when NFL Network's commentator Mike Mayock referred to JJ Watt as JJ WhAAAATT?!! As in, "what the Hades do you mean he collapsed our pocket & sacked Tom Brady?!!" Belches Belichick in disgust & angry defiance!!!

On the flip side, how is QB Matt Schaub gonna handle Mayo & Chandler Jones? This game is going to be an NFL Films Classics Game. I can feel it down to my bones baby. I can hear bones snapping like crisp celery sticks right now. :thmup:

I agree with the notion that this game kind of lies with how Schaub does. If he puts up some good numbers, doesn't turn the ball over, and takes what the Patriots' defense gives him, the Texans will be very hard to beat. If he pees down his leg, then obviously New England will capitalize on any mistakes. They will not let the Texans run all over them, even if they have to load up on the run and leave themselves vulnerable in the secondary. They'll make the QB win this one. Schaub hasn't really played in any "huge" games in his career... this may be one of the biggest. Let's see how he does.

I agree with the notion that this game kind of lies with how Schaub does. If he puts up some good numbers, doesn't turn the ball over, and takes what the Patriots' defense gives him, the Texans will be very hard to beat. If he pees down his leg, then obviously New England will capitalize on any mistakes. They will not let the Texans run all over them, even if they have to load up on the run and leave themselves vulnerable in the secondary. They'll make the QB win this one. Schaub hasn't really played in any "huge" games in his career... this may be one of the biggest. Let's see how he does.

I'll be curious to see if the Patriots' defense is allowed to blitz Schaub regularly. Obviously it's not as easy to do with such a great running game, but if the Patriots score first, I'd like to see the defense pin their ears back and go after Schaub.

Exactly, Schaub's ability to withstand the pass rush & convert critical 3 downs will define this game & Matt Schaub's toughness & his worthiness of being mentioned as a top tier QB in the NFL. Be patient, throw the ball away, don't turn the ball over, & always know where Mayo, Jones, & Wilfork are at all times. Brady has experience in gritty situations like this Schaub not so much.

Right now, the slight edge goes to NE IMO. Man, I wish Brian Cushing was in the lineup for Houston...

I'll be curious to see if the Patriots' defense is allowed to blitz Schaub regularly. Obviously it's not as easy to do with such a great running game, but if the Patriots score first, I'd like to see the defense pin their ears back and go after Schaub.

The real question is when NE goes no huddle and hurry up....what does Houston do...

They arent an especially quick 'D' anyway and that 'downhill' quick step attack shredded Denver...

Houston, which has faded since midsesaon defrensively, has to find an answer that many other teams have not found

This game has little do with Schaub needing to be great.. Arian Foster is the guy the Pats have to sell out and stop or Brady isn't going to get enough ToP.

I respectfully disagree here... the Patriots will take away the Texans' best option, which is Foster. That's been the hallmark of Belichick's coaching career, going all the way back to his days as a DC with the Giants. They'll load up to try to contain Foster and will make the Texans throw. If they can get an early lead that will play right into it.

But it seems like half the times I listen to my gut, I only learn later that my gut has **** for brains, lol... so you could be dead on too. How's that for waffling? ;)

I respectfully disagree here... the Patriots will take away the Texans' best option, which is Foster. That's been the hallmark of Belichick's coaching career, going all the way back to his days as a DC with the Giants. They'll load up to try to contain Foster and will make the Texans throw. If they can get an early lead that will play right into it.

But it seems like half the times I listen to my gut, I only learn later that my gut has **** for brains, lol... so you could be dead on too. How's that for waffling? ;)

So BB tell's the D sell out on the run. We agree on that. I think they'll have their hand's full doing it, but it's better than ignoring the run. This is one of those games where I think a high scoring game favors the Pats big time. The Texans D had better have some answers for Welker, because like Foster, he is the primary target right now for your guys.

It should be interesting. I won't say who ever scores first wins, but I'd guess that this will be a game won on special teams and turnovers battle.. (that's what they say when they can't figure out who's got the advantage on either side of the ball)

We're all interested in this game. Should be good.

I agree GoPats 100% However, what is Houston's biggest offensive weapon? WR Andre Johnson or RB Arian Foster? Who is more important for NE to stop? That's the real question IMO.

A valid case could easily be made for both men. Both are equally dangerous.

This game has little do with Schaub needing to be great.. Arian Foster is the guy the Pats have to sell out and stop or Brady isn't going to get enough ToP.

I respectfully disagree here The Fish 100%. As disgraced DC of the New Orleans Saints Gregg Williams said "Kill the head of the snake & the body will fall." Contain the QB, confuse the QB, & bewilder the QB & the game is over. If the QB is flustered & can't lead his troops into battle toward a victory, the enemy is halfway home. "Every battle is won before it's ever fought." Sun Tzu.

Rattle the field general & victory is nearly guaranteed IMHO.

I respectfully disagree here The Fish 100%. As disgraced DC of the New Orleans Saints Gregg Williams said "Kill the head of the snake & the body will fall." Contain the QB, confuse the QB, & bewilder the QB & the game is over. If the QB is flustered & can't lead his troops into battle toward a victory, the enemy is halfway home. "Every battle is won before it's ever fought." Sun Tzu.

Rattle the field general & victory is nearly guaranteed IMHO.

Schaub is going to hand the ball of regardless of what zone blitz schemes the Patriots want to show early. The Patriots will sell out to stop the run. Once that is a confirmed component of that side of the game you'll see Schaub gamble down field with Johnson a bit. The Texans have nothing to gain by exposing Schaub and they won't. If the Texans win it will be a close low scoring game, so the outcome will be determined elsewhere.

Now, before anyone says that SW1 contradicted himself, I agreed with GOPats that Coach Belichick loves to stop his opposition's #1 weapon. But, I wasn't exactly sure just who that #1 weapon was. Foster or Johnson? Even if you stop Foster, RBs Ben Tate & Justin Forsett are still capable ground game work horses & let's not forget the screen game or catching the ball out of the backfield or on slant patterns either.

Let's not forget also that WR Andre Johnson is Matt Schaub's #1 security blanket in clutch situations like 3rd & long either. The quickest way to rattle a QB & make them feel uneasy take away their favorite security blanket.