Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HOF Morten Andersen YES or NO?

ThorstenDenmark

Hello

I´m a Colts fan from Denmark and therefore a big Morten Andersen fan.

He´s among the last candidates for the HOF, and i really hope he will make it.

Not only because he's a dane, but because he have the NFL point record with 2544 points.

I know he´s a kicker and there are kickers who have made a bigger difference than him for teams, such as Adam Vinatieri. But still I think he should be in the HOF, and that Adam Vinatieri also deserves a spot when he retires.

My question is simple.

Do you think Morten Andersen deserves a spot in the HOF and why or why not?

Merry Christmas from Denmark and go Colts

Um, YES!

Morten Andersen was awesome, I got to see him with the Saints when I was young, and he would nail those super long 50-55 yard field goals. Most the time, he was the turning point for us during the "Dome Patrol" era.

Kickers are players too and they deserve the HoF. Often times they are the little guys who receive little to no credit over the years for their accomplishments.

I would say..no...he did nothing but kick and while he was great at that....

I'm not sure kickers should be in the hall of fame..

Like designated hitters in baseball.

I would say, no.

Kickers are as big a part of football as QB´s are. Why you may ask?

Well look at how many football games who are decided by kickers. I know they play like 0,1 % of a game, but the have a huge impact on the results in the end.

Your argument is just typical for people who don´t see the bigger picture in football and you might not know what it would say to be a team sport, where all contribute as much as they can to the team. Take away kickers and punters and you have a whole different game, but as long they are a part of the game, they deserves as much credit as everyone else on the team.

But you say kickers do not belong in the HOF, what if a say QB´s don't because they throw the ball and that´s not using their foot like the game is called. QB´s play handball, and not football. Get my point?

Kickers are as big a part of football as QB´s are. Why you may ask?

Well look at how many football games who are decided by kickers. I know they play like 0,1 % of a game, but the have a huge impact on the results in the end.

Your argument is just typical for people who don´t see the bigger picture in football and you might not know what it would say to be a team sport, where all contribute as much as they can to the team. Take away kickers and punters and you have a whole different game, but as long they are a part of the game, they deserves as much credit as everyone else on the team.

But you say kickers do not belong in the HOF, what if a say QB´s don't because they throw the ball and that´s not using their foot like the game is called. QB´s play handball, and not football. Get my point?

Not my words..

I did not say that kicker are not a big part of the game (like DHs are in baseball) I said all he does is kick. Anedrson didnt even punt

I also did not suggest you take away kickers (like I would want to see the DH eliminated) Cant have football without kickers...I agree

But I feel that kickers are not enough of a part of the game to be included in the Hall-of-Fame..which is for the absolute elite.

There are very few Hall-of-Famers, to me

Not my words..

I did not say that kicker are not a big part of the game (like DHs are in baseball) I said all he does is kick. Anedrson didnt even punt

I also did not suggest you take away kickers (like I would want to see the DH eliminated) Cant have football without kickers...I agree

But I feel that kickers are not enough of a part of the game to be included in the Hall-of-Fame..which is for the absolute elite.

There are very few Hall-of-Famers, to me

So kickers are not enough part of the game when they kick the winning field goal for a possible super bowl title?

Kickers are as good as QB´s to what needed of them in the game. But everyone can kick a field goal from 63 yards out, you don´t have to be elite to do that. Well I say if you can kick from 63 yards, then you are definitely Elite and deserves a place in the HOF.

You just don´t like kickers and don´t seems to care about them contributing to the game, when you think they do not belong in the HOF.

I would say..no...he did nothing but kick and while he was great at that....

I'm not sure kickers should be in the hall of fame..

Like designated hitters in baseball.

I would say, no.

Let's keep inducting the same old players then, and not the guys who's leg kicked game winning field goals.

if people here think adam v should be in the hof then so should anderson. when you have the record for most points all-time considering how many greats played this game its unbelieveable. i dont understand why kickers dont get respect because most often then not the game comes down to them.

He absolutely should be in the HOF. Kickers, while not as important as QB (what position is?), are still an important part of the game of football. (Perhaps we should exclude linemen because all they do is block??)

As a side note, he is a great person as well. I have met him and he is very humble, generous, and easy to talk with. He is an all around great football player and person.

He absolutely should be in the HOF. Kickers, while not as important as QB (what position is?), are still an important part of the game of football. (Perhaps we should exclude linemen because all they do is block??)

As a side note, he is a great person as well. I have met him and he is very humble, generous, and easy to talk with. He is an all around great football player and person.

We should exclude guys who only play 7 or 8 plays a game if that......from the Hall-of-Fame...

Gotta have standards or the Hall means nothing...

if people here think adam v should be in the hof then so should anderson. when you have the record for most points all-time considering how many greats played this game its unbelieveable. i dont understand why kickers dont get respect because most often then not the game comes down to them.

Kickers dont play.

Most dont even kick off and punt...

That's not anywhere NEAR Hall-of-Fame material...

Is there a long snapper in the Hall?

Kickers dont play.

Most dont even kick off and punt...

Is there a long snapper in the Hall?

Pats fans disagree with this statement. As do Colts fans when they beat Baltimore in 2006 with 5 FGs on the Super Bowl run

We should exclude guys who only play 7 or 8 plays a game if that......

Hmm... so how do you define what is anywhere near Hall of Fame material. If you are not going to leave it up to a vote then surely you must have some criteria?? Perhaps a player has to play 9 plays per game on average? By the way, I have seen a certain punter/kick-off guy make a TD saving tackle or two this season. So does the play have more weight if a player makes a tackle like this?

Hmm... so how do you define what is anywhere near Hall of Fame material. If you are not going to leave it up to a vote then surely you must have some criteria?? Perhaps a player has to play 9 plays per game on average? By the way, I have seen a certain punter/kick-off guy make a TD saving tackle or two this season. So does the play have more weight if a player makes a tackle like this?

Are they one field field more than 5 or 6 times a game,,

Hall of Fame has to be players who dominated eras at full time positions....offense or defense..

You cant argue that kickers win games..they dont..they dont play..

Players win games

Every team has a long snapper..they do as much as the kickers do....

But they dont do enough to be immortalized with the all-time greats of the game...

They do finish off victories..but so do long snappers

so are you saying you wanna see a long snapper in the HOF?

Are they one field field more than 5 or 6 times a game,,

Hall of Fame has to be players who dominated eras at full time positions....offense or defense..

You cant argue that kickers win games..they dont..they dont play..

Players win games

Ask the 1990 Bills how much "players win games".

A definate no for Anderson. U put him in then u have to think about Vanderjack who was a really good his first few yrs w/the Colts but then off. Anderson has no SB appearances. There's currently only 1 K in the HOF. Venitari seems to have the best chance of getting in. Best case scenario IMO he has a 50-50 chance

A definate no for Anderson. U put him in then u have to think about Vanderjack who was a really good his first few yrs w/the Colts but then off. Anderson has no SB appearances. There's currently only 1 K in the HOF. Venitari seems to have the best chance of getting in. Best case scenario IMO he has a 50-50 chance

ROFL

http://www.pro-footb...99901310atl.htm

Looks to me he did have a Super Bowl appearance.

No....Im with Mark on this one....

His pts record is a bit over exaggerated....This guy played 25 years....25 years!!...That is an absurd amount of time....

And he wasnt even the best kicker during those years....

In 25 years, he led 8 kicker stats.......and of those 8, 2 were extra point attempts....2 were extra points made....2 were field goal attempts....Which are ALL directly related to his team play, and have nothing to do with his kicking.....he led the league ONCE in FG%, in 25years.....