Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does WR Chad Johnson Deserve A 2nd Chance In The NFL?

southwest1

We live in a country of forgiveness, rebirth, & resurrection. Off the field issues, even domestic violence disputes, can be overcome as long as a person gets the proper professional help, agrees to modify their lifestyle, and they come completely clean acknowledging the error of their ways.

Recently former Bengals and Dolphins WR sat down to discuss his indiscretions off the field and validate his ability to play football in the NFL. If I was an owner or a GM of a franchise, I want to know are you a team player?, How do you handle conflict resolution issues? When things fall apart on the field and off of it how do you respond? When somebody questions your commitment what is your reaction? Sadly, in my view, Chad is done in the NFL...Why should I hire you?This s a legitimate question Chad. Convince me...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8713851

Listen to this clip from 4:35 on regarding Johnson's tenure in Miami & New England...If you were grasping the playbook well and making plays, neither the Dolphins or the Patriots would have released/cut you.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8714277

Chad appears to have a short fuse, refuses to answer direct questions as they pertain to him as a player and what he has learned. Also, this public forum on ESPN would have been the perfect platform to begin rectifying his professional NFL career. Instead, Chad turned this vital opportunity into into a public relations nightmare.

I remember a discussion I had with a friend of mine on Colts Form with BrentMc11 shortly after Chad Johnson was cut by the Dolphins and he was arrested on a domestic violence charge regarding his recently wed wife. I was worried about Johnson's mental health and suicidal tendencies. I care about the person and I never define a person by their occupation or how much money they make on an annual basis. I give a darn about the individual person; forget the celebrity status. Forget the the fame. Forget the headlines. Naturally, I never condone physical violence against anyone, especially a woman. Everyone except serial killers, rapists, the pedophiles is capable of redemption in my book.

Chad Johnson made a huge mistake in judgement, is getting psychological help, and he seems to be a goodnatured person. However, Mr. Johnson is no where near ready to admit his mistakes and if I were an owner, GM, or corporation, I would NOT go anywhere near Chad right now. His wounds from the incident/dissolved marriage are too fresh and he is just too toxic right now.

Good luck Chad Johnson. Just disappear, reflect, and heal for awhile please. You desperately need to get away and resurrect yourself sir.

Good question. Does he deserve a second chance? I think he does. Worse things have happened to other players and they have gotten second chances. With that said, I think it becomes a question of whether or not he gets a second chance. He is 34 and hasn't played football this year. He has been a distraction in the locker room and while he was fairly quiet in New England, he looked as though he was reverting back to his old ways in Miami. During his time in New England, while he was quiet, he was unable to find the field. I don't think he will get another chance unless a team is desperate due to injuries or they think they are a slight piece away from a Super Bowl.

First take was uncomfortable this morning no doubt.

It was like having a friend you know has a temper, but pushing his buttons anyways.

Answering your question though. I don't think his antics should keep him out of the NFL, I just don't think he's good anymore. I may be wrong, but when it's time to leave as a wide out, party is over pretty drastically.

I think Chad's issue is not his personality, but rather the market for WR's sucks. If your team doesn't have a QB, then WR's aren't going to be a big help, certainly not this late into the season, so the real question is even if he does deserve a 2nd chance, why would anyone give it to him? Some WR's can adjust quickly to a new scheme and QB, but evidently Chad isn't one of those WR's if he can't even work with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Let's figure out what QB/team could use him...

Jags - (Gabbert) Nope. Gabbert sucks, they lack identity, and they passed on Tebow! Apparently, Jags hate drama.

Cardinals - (Insert QB here): Nope. They can't even perform with Fitzgerald, so Chad wont work either.

Jets - (Insert QB here): Nope. Need to figure out their QB issue first and they tried this with Plaxico already.

49'ers - (Smith or Kaepernick?): Again, figure out who the QB is. Plus they have Davis and must make Crabtree work.

Colts - (Luck): Nope, receivers too stacked, and we have Wayne.

Minnesota - (Ponder): I'd stick to the ground game with Peterson. Plus, they have talent at receiving already.

Steelers - (Roethlisberger, when healthy): Plaxico Burress joined. No room for Chad.

Eagles - (Vick? Nick?): With QB injuries and a coach on the hot seat, they lack stability to risk Chad.

Houston - (Schaub): Already have Foster's ground game and Andre Johnson. Chad would just detract from that.

Chiefs - (Insert QB here): In a state of turmoil, period. Plus, they have Bowe, who has proven talent.

Titans - (Locker or Hasselbeck): Locker is proving to be a dud and Hasselbeck is too old. Cant picture him with Bud Adams.

Browns - (Weeden): I doubt they'll hook a rookie QB up with Chad. Plus, the Browns already have talent at WR.

Lions - (Stafford): They already have Calvin Johnson. Chad would not be a priority.

Patriots - (Brady): Obviously no. They give 2nd chances to other receivers, but Chad is an exception.

Chargers - (Rivers): Another coach on the hot seat. I don't like Chad with this team one bit.

Bengals - (Dalton): LOL uhh... no. Bengals drafted to get away from Chad. They have a huge disdain for him.

I could go on, but basically too many teams have other needs. WR is not a priority for 95% of them, and for the teams that do need a WR, why risk it in an older player, like Chad?

First take was uncomfortable this morning no doubt.

It was like having a friend you know has a temper, but pushing his buttons anyways.

Answering your question though. I don't think his antics should keep him out of the NFL, I just don't think he's good anymore. I may be wrong, but when it's time to leave as a wide out, party is over pretty drastically.

Good question. Does he deserve a second chance? I think he does. Worse things have happened to other players and they have gotten second chances. With that said, I think it becomes a question of whether or not he gets a second chance. He is 34 and hasn't played football this year. He has been a distraction in the locker room and while he was fairly quiet in New England, he looked as though he was reverting back to his old ways in Miami. During his time in New England, while he was quiet, he was unable to find the field. I don't think he will get another chance unless a team is desperate due to injuries or they think they are a slight piece away from a Super Bowl.

I know fellas. It was strange watching the interview unfold...All the while I was thinking "Denial [The Nile] ain't a river in Egypt" son. Chad had to expect some tough questions. I thought both Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless did him a huge favor by saying everything an NFL front office would be thinking, pondering, and contemplating and Chad kept getting angry and frustrated. Not a good move IMO.

The beauty of this debate is that it worked on 2 levels: Where is your head at? and How do you respond to those critics who say that you have lost a step & cannot digest a complicated playbook anymore? Personal priorities vs an individual skill set...Saying that you can still play doesn't cut it, let alone prove anything in my mind...Blaming your failure to digest NE's complicated playbook on a loss of mojo is petty, pathetic, and small...

Chad Johnson didn't own up to anything. He thought the questions would be easy, softball ones & when they weren't he got angry, cut Stephen & Skip off, & then he says he is taking responsibility... "

Child Please" who are you kidding... :slaphead: :facepalm:

I think Chad's issue is not his personality, but rather the market for WR's sucks. If your team doesn't have a QB, then WR's aren't going to be a big help, certainly not this late into the season, so the real question is even if he does deserve a 2nd chance, why would anyone give it to him? Some WR's can adjust quickly to a new scheme and QB, but evidently Chad isn't one of those WR's if he can't even work with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Let's figure out what QB/team could use him...

Jags - (Gabbert) Nope. Gabbert sucks, they lack identity, and they passed on Tebow! Apparently, Jags hate drama.

Cardinals - (Insert QB here): Nope. They can't even perform with Fitzgerald, so Chad wont work either.

Jets - (Insert QB here): Nope. Need to figure out their QB issue first and they tried this with Plaxico already.

49'ers - (Smith or Kaepernick?): Again, figure out who the QB is. Plus they have Davis and must make Crabtree work.

Colts - (Luck): Nope, receivers too stacked, and we have Wayne.

Minnesota - (Ponder): I'd stick to the ground game with Peterson. Plus, they have talent at receiving already.

Steelers - (Roethlisberger, when healthy): Plaxico Burress joined. No room for Chad.

Eagles - (Vick? Nick?): With QB injuries and a coach on the hot seat, they lack stability to risk Chad.

Houston - (Schaub): Already have Foster's ground game and Andre Johnson. Chad would just detract from that.

Chiefs - (Insert QB here): In a state of turmoil, period. Plus, they have Bowe, who has proven talent.

Titans - (Locker or Hasselbeck): Locker is proving to be a dud and Hasselbeck is too old. Cant picture him with Bud Adams.

Browns - (Weeden): I doubt they'll hook a rookie QB up with Chad. Plus, the Browns already have talent at WR.

Lions - (Stafford): They already have Calvin Johnson. Chad would not be a priority.

Patriots - (Brady): Obviously no. They give 2nd chances to other receivers, but Chad is an exception.

Chargers - (Rivers): Another coach on the hot seat. I don't like Chad with this team one bit.

Bengals - (Dalton): LOL uhh... no. Bengals drafted to get away from Chad. They have a huge disdain for him.

I could go on, but basically too many teams have other needs. WR is not a priority for 95% of them, and for the teams that do need a WR, why risk it in an older player, like Chad?

You do make an excellent point ReMeDy. All NFL WR vacancies have already been filled on all 32 NFL rosters and age wise Johnson is considered old by professional football standards.

It's interesting you say this: "Bengals - (Dalton): LOL uhh... no. Bengals drafted to get away from Chad. They have a huge disdain for him." When Chad spoke about what he would have done differently prior to going to NE, he actually sounded sincere when he said "I'd talk to Marvin [Lewis HC of the Bengals] & ask him 'how can we work this out so I can stay here?" "You don't know what you've got til it's gone" Chad. But, I agree 100% ReMeDy; that organization was ready to cut bait & sever all ties with Johnson at that point.

Great point & post BTW! :thmup:

I still don't think everything with that domestic violence thing sits right with me. Something smells fishy.

I was very surprised that the producers of "ESPN First" allowed Stephen A. Smith to speak for an extended period of time regarding the double standard of women who get shielded from any criticism regarding domestic violence as if they are completely immune from any & all responsibility for it. I am not making any judgements here at all. Just that popular shows on TV and their producers always worry about losing millions of dollars in corporate sponsors if the public gets upset & decides to boycott the show for an long period of time that's all. I expected them to cut Smith off at the knees much earlier than they did.

I like it when they just let the cameras roll. That's when the real ratings magic happens. Controversial words always move the interest meter. I live for that personally.

The other thing that fascinated me about this Johnson debate that didn't come up til after Chad left was the dichotomy between privacy and public access or the need to know on a grand scale.

Can celebrities like Chad have it both ways with TV shows, twitter followers, and universal product pitchmen while still saying leave me/my family alone? No, not really. I liken it to women who marry dare devils or race car drivers. Danger, typically the very thing that attracted you to that person, later makes them worry that their spouse may now die or get critically injured or disfigured. My point is you can't love the cameras which bring you fame and fortune and then complain because they follow you everywhere and won't leave you alone either.

And the public, by their consumer decisions what magazines they buy and what shows they watch daily on TV and the internet, has a funny way of deciding exactly what is or isn't fair game and open for wide spread scrutiny. Domestic violence and dissolved marriages not withstanding...

At what point are cases of infidelity among celebrities off limits? Rarely never, sorry to say, unless it affects young children at least in America anyway.

What the Hades...Let's open up this can of worms shall we? Skip Bayless said to Stephen A. Smith, "You have some real anger issues when it comes to women." Skip was referring to Stephen's soliloquy on how star athletes in sports sometimes get taken advantage of by a few select women/gold diggers who play the victim role to generate public sympathy, press, and huge paydays. Now again, I want to be clear I never condone domestic violence against anyone and I will readily admit that in a significant number of cases 75-85% women are the true innocent victims of domestic violence along with children.

But, I want to ask women on here an honest question: Would they ever admit that in some remote instances a few select women can be capable of emotional manipulation that exacerbates a volatile situation and makes an unsettling circumstance even worse?

Again, I am not trying to create division here, anger, or an altercation of any kind whatsoever. The vast majority of women I know are fine, upstanding people with no anger management issues or short tempers.

My point is why blame Stephen A Smith for bringing up a media double standard that a few select greedy women have been known to take advantage of? Smith doesn't hate women. What an outlandish assertion Skip Bayless...What do the rest of you think? Again, no judgements here just authentic, truthful debate. Keep it polite and civil please. Yes, feel free to disagree, but please explain your reasoning. Thank you.

Let the debate begin...

I am fully aware that few men will decide to chime in on this media double standard debate topic as it pertains to altercations and large financial settlements. Believe me, I completely understand the reason for remaining silent. But, I wanna see how women feel about domestic violence on the other foot. Again, if they think I am way off base here that is perfectly fine.

Surprisingly enough, disabled people like myself, can be an easy mark for manipulation too so I can appreciate how women can feel uneasy or uncomfortable in relationship disputes/shortcoming as well.

Naturally, there is no silver bullet or right or wrong answer here. Just real dialog and hopefully real growth and understanding. That's all, I'm shooting for.

BTW: No question is off limits Skip Bayless... :facepalm::sigh:

I still don't think everything with that domestic violence thing sits right with me. Something smells fishy.

They asked him about it, and he flat out admitted to hitting her. I think he might have used the words "and then I beat her", but he might have been using beat and hit like they were the same words.

All because she found a condom......

But, I want to ask women on here an honest question: Would they ever admit that in some remote instances a few select women can be capable of emotional manipulation that exacerbates a volatile situation and makes an unsettling circumstance even worse?

That's why I love my wife. She believes that a lot of times, women put themselves in that situation to be handled like a man, even sometimes inviting it because they know the overall perception of domestic violence. I don't believe in being the aggressor but I dang shole ain't (the Southern draw came out..lol) about to be a victim neither.