Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's get back to running....

lollygagger8

I sure hope Luck doesn't break this record. Give the poor kid a break, and start running the ball. I know it has to do with the O-line, but let's get back to grinding a little bit. We've shown signs we can do it, and your rookie QB shouldn't have to be icing his arm down after games.

Pass-happy Luck

Colts QB Andrew Luck is averaging 41.9 pass attempts per game, the second most in the NFL. The rookie record is 37.7, set by Matthew Stafford in 2009. The NFL record for average pass attempts over a single season is 43.2, set by Drew Bledsoe in 1994. Luck would need to average 47 attempts in the final four games to break Bledsoe's mark.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000106328/10-mindblowing-stats-from-week-14-in-the-nfl#photo=4

Sometimes a bubble screen, quick out, or check down makes 5 yards and is good as a run. I don't have a problem throwing that many times when a lot of them are those types of passes. They matriculate down the field and eat time just like a running game.

Sometimes a bubble screen, quick out, or check down makes 5 yards and is good as a run. I don't have a problem throwing that many times when a lot of them are those types of passes. They matriculate down the field and eat time just like a running game.

Ahhhh, matriculate, my new word for the day.

Well Ballard is the Titan killer.

ballard.0_standard_500.0.gif

Yeah, but that was a pass play, sooo...

I was kind of surprised when the announcers were saying that Ballard's touchdown was his first rushing touchdown of the season. I forgot that the Titans game-winner was a receiving touchdown.

I was kind of surprised when the announcers were saying that Ballard's touchdown was his first rushing touchdown of the season. I forgot that the Titans game-winner was a receiving touchdown.

It was a really short pass, but yeah.

Could go with a number of teams

Texans (Not alot of star talent but they get the job done in both running and passing)

Bucs (Star talent, although some of them are injured, Davin Joseph comes to mind, they also have the numbers to back it up this year, 55 times a defender has got to Freeman total with only 17 sacks also they are one of the better rushing teams in the league, not the best but still good)

I hesitate to say the Broncos, they have not given up alot of sacks this year, but with Manning out there thats to be expected, They dont have the rushing yards though but they do have the rush attempts (316)

To me it comes to running the ball simply because if you have a QB (such as Manning who gets rid of the ball fast) then your O Line wont give up alot of sacks or QB Hits, but not even a great or the greatest QB or even many good or great running backs hide compensate for an O Line that cant open up holes for the run game

Just curious. Which teams have the best olines in the league.? I tend to go by whomever has the best running attack. Ravens, Seahawks, redskins, maybe the giants... 49ers...

You know that question brings up a darn good point. If our o-line is suspect & unreliable, perhaps that is why Arians is so inclined to throw even more than normal even for him.

Arians reminds me of Eagles HC Andy Reid in a lot of ways. Both men seem preoccupied with a neverending ariel assault as opposed to a churn em and burn ground infiltration of enemy territory. Even if your ground game sucks due to a shotty offensive line, a HC still must remain committed to the run. You can't expect Luck to throw every down for crying out loud. Let Ballard our battering ram grind it out with Brown sprinkled in for good measure and speed.

Use the run to set up the pass IMO not vice versa...Old school, bloodbath football baby! :rock:

I will cut Bruce Arians some slack though aside from WR Reggie Wayne, our TE's are our best offensive weapon and the quickest way, other than Luck's feet to move the 1st down chains on the field. If your line isn't generating holes for your RB's, you have to modify the playbook & use the best weapon at your QB's disposal--The TE's. Sometimes, you have no other choice until the draft arrives & your team can solidify holes on the line.

I can't condemn Arians too much. He's just playing the hand he was dealt. Plus, he deserves a ton of credit for winning & holding down the fort in Coach Pagano's absence. Bruce did far better leading this team to an 8-4 record than I thought he would & he deserves a great deal of praise for that. Thank you Bruce! :thmup:

Ditto here, I think the torpedo special move is just a bit more memorable than the pass. Though the pass was darn close to getting picked off.

I'm completely ok with actually throwing passes to our RB's out of the backfield. We always seem to get great gains on those plays and we barely ever do that.

I'm completely ok with actually throwing passes to our RB's out of the backfield. We always seem to get great gains on those plays and we barely ever do that.

That's one of the simplest adjustments we could make to our passing game, which would help Luck's completion percentage improve and reduce the number of stalled drives we suffer. It's something that both Ballard and Brown are really good at, and we don't do it nearly enough.

I sure hope Luck doesn't break this record. Give the poor kid a break, and start running the ball. I know it has to do with the O-line, but let's get back to grinding a little bit. We've shown signs we can do it, and your rookie QB shouldn't have to be icing his arm down after games.

Pass-happy Luck

Colts QB Andrew Luck is averaging 41.9 pass attempts per game, the second most in the NFL. The rookie record is 37.7, set by Matthew Stafford in 2009. The NFL record for average pass attempts over a single season is 43.2, set by Drew Bledsoe in 1994. Luck would need to average 47 attempts in the final four games to break Bledsoe's mark.

http://www.nfl.com/p...the-nfl#photo=4

we cant run...we dont have the line...and ..with Donaldn Brown now out..we're thin at RB

Andrew Luck is fine....I'm guessing he likes throwing 40 times a game..what QB doesnt....?

there is no need for balance in today's NFL...

WE cant run....