Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay is a genius

tyvon19

all this talk about luck, arians, wayne but

gotta give credit to irsay for believing in luck, this organization, the fans, and setting us up for maybe another ten or fifteen years. who thought after releasing manning we would be back in the playoff hunt with a franchise qb. I didnt. i admit i said bad things about irsay but now i know i was wrong.

on top of that he got grigson who drafted a lot of great players, arians has been brilliant etc.

kudos to irsay

I give credit to Irsay! key additon has to be Grigson i mean to draft players that all will have an impact soon (Chapman) and have made key plays for us already. and this was his first draft we have yet to really see what this team will look like in 2 seasons... heck even next season.

Irsay has been classy this whole time and has done what is best for the franchise. He was on the receiving end of many cruel jokes and unnecessary comments, but he did what he believes is best for his franchise and so far, the team is doing well. It also looks as though Grigson is going to be a solid GM and Pagano was an excellent hire too.

Irsay has been classy this whole time and has done what is best for the franchise. He was on the receiving end of many cruel jokes and unnecessary comments, but he did what he believes is best for his franchise and so far, the team is doing well. It also looks as though Grigson is going to be a solid GM and Pagano was an excellent hire too.

Ohh yeah I knew many people that literally hated him after the realease of Manning and so many other beloved players. However, they do not dislike him anymore lol.

I myself personally never really doubted or disliked him. I was always neutral on the situation. It was difficult but I always tried to remain neutral. Some people just completely hated him and I'm sure many pure Peyton Fans still do, who probably became Broncos fans lol. I know a woman like that actually.

I like seeing Manning doing well for Denver and the Colts playing well definitely helped ease the transition. If the Colts had 2-3 wins, it would be somewhat understandable but it would make the fact that we released Manning and scraped the offense that much harder. Winning cures all.

It's just funny now because i remember so many people were calling for Irsays head after he released Manning. But Irsay isn't like other owners. Hes in touch with the game and its fans and understands the balance of the NFL universe as crazy as that sounds.

all this talk about luck, arians, wayne but

gotta give credit to irsay for believing in luck, this organization, the fans, and setting us up for maybe another ten or fifteen years. who thought after releasing manning we would be back in the playoff hunt with a franchise qb. I didnt. i admit i said bad things about irsay but now i know i was wrong.

on top of that he got grigson who drafted a lot of great players, arians has been brilliant etc.

kudos to irsay

Were you one of the people who thought Irsay was a jerk back in January? I personally always had faith.

Irsay is definitely one of the top five owners in the NFL. I would put him right up there with the Steelers, Patriots, and Packers ownership. He made a tough decision letting Manning go, but the right one, this franchise needed an overhaul and he did it at the right time. What have the Colts had, three losing seasons under his ownership? How many teams can say that in 17 years? When he got the team they were the laughing stock of the NFL, now they are one of the top franchises with a solid fanbase.

There have been a number of stories over the last ten years or so how Mr. Irsay followed, studied with great interest, how the older great owners succeded.

He started under his Dad, who was a pretty poor example, and has clearly learned well how to Lead an NFL Organization.

Say what we want about how the Polian era needed to come to a close, but Bill was a BIG part of building a REAL Monster and a Solid Organization.

Watching this go on for so many years, I am sure was a Big Help to Mr. Irsay putting some Real Granite under his Knowledge base and his Wisdom to Lead.

The CAP Problem he faced was something other Teams had faced many times before. I am sure it had been a topic of discussion for many years as they decided who of the veterans to resign for Bigger $$$ and how much closer it would bring them to CAP Armageddon.

Looking at our Pricey aging "Stars", Cap He**, and injured CAP UNFRIENDLY QB, and Andrew Luck, his decision to Clean the Slate was timely & a Winner.

It is always a crap-shoot in the NFL.

But when you look at the Results of his choices that followed, I can only say, Dude, I really appreciate having you as the Leader/Owner of Our Indy Colts!

There were even fans with such a lack of empathy that they sent threatening texts about his person and more. That sickened me.

Thank you Jim for all that you have done.

Did Irsay hire another troll?

Whats with all the pro irsay threads this week?

After a win like that this past Sunday you're really wondering that? That #12 guy who has led all these come backs in this wild successful season was hand picked by Irsay. Your response almost makes me think you're bitter about something toward our owner?

Irsay is most decidedly NOT a genius. He's a copycat, more than anything else. He followed the same blueprint good owners have been following for at least the last decade: hire a good personnel guy, hire a reputable coach, let them fill their staff and roster, make measured money decisions, and cheer like heck. This is the same thing Arthur Blank did in 2008, same thing Bob Kraft has done in New England, same thing the Maras and Rooneys do. And in contrast, it's exactly what Jerry Jones and Woody Johnson and Al Davis refuse to do.

He is undoubtedly a good owner, and an astute businessman.

I would give him more credit than that. The whole way the illness to our coach has been handled is a testimate to Jim Irsay. His decisions to change Coltstrong to Chuckstrong were very smart, in many ways. It showed the coach himself the kind of support that this fanbase and community is capable of and it has solidified the Indy region for years to come it appears. That was a move not may owners would have made. His decision to state to the community that he had no intentions of moving the team to L.A. was also a smart move that I wouldn't hold my breath for owners to make.

I would give him more credit than that. The whole way the illness to our coach has been handled is a testimate to Jim Irsay. His decisions to change Coltstrong to Chuckstrong were very smart, in many ways. It showed the coach himself the kind of support that this fanbase and community is capable of and it has solidified the Indy region for years to come it appears. That was a move not may owners would have made. His decision to state to the community that he had no intentions of moving the team to L.A. was also a smart move that I wouldn't hold my breath for owners to make.

All of that makes him a good owner. I think he's among the very best in the league, and in pro sports. I don't think any of it makes him a genius. He made common sense decisions that have been made before, recently.

The only unprecedented move was the Manning release, and the jury is still out on that. Not only that, but part of the reason he was stuck with the Manning decision was the questionable structure of the contract to begin with. He and Polian (and Condon) kind of painted themselves into a corner, forcing a move to be made. I respect his decision with Manning, but there was nothing genius about it.

Guess we see it differently. There are many good owners in the league, but I do not believe they would have handled it the way Jim did. I also don't think that he painted himself into a corner with the Manning contract. I think it was a "call" situation, and Peyton looked him and Bill in the eye and said, "I'll be ready to play". BTW, I think he meant it.

So...perhaps genius isn't the descriptive word, but he is far from just a good owner. He is a rare, smart, savvy, gutsy, and classy owner. There are few owners in the NFL that I would give all those descriptions to. That is my opinion that will not likely change.

I wasn't very fond of him releasing PM but he had the foresight to pull the trigger. Gotta give him credit.

Edit: I also think the PM situation could've backfired in a NY minute if it also hadn't of been for PM being the gracious person he is too.

I wasn't very fond of him releasing PM but he had the foresight to pull the trigger. Gotta give him credit.

Edit: I also think the PM situation could've backfired in a NY minute if it also hadn't of been for PM being the gracious person he is too.

How so?

@Gavin

I just imagine that most other BIG stars play the circus CONSIDERABLY MORE than PM. Whether it be for leverage on a contract or just fan support, I think PM handled it with grace whereas i Imagine if it had been a few of these other QBs, they'd of made a bigger deal about it.

@Gavin

I just imagine that most other BIG stars play the circus CONSIDERABLY MORE than PM. Whether it be for leverage on a contract or just fan support, I think PM handled it with grace whereas i Imagine if it had been a few of these other QBs, they'd of made a bigger deal about it.

Im not so sure he did not play it for fan support, for money? no, fan support perhaps, The reason I say that was because of the "everyone walking around on eggshells" comment which I believe, thats not what I question and we found out everyone had a right to walk around like that, but to make a public comment like that and not keep it behind closed doors seemed like a well played strategy at the time to me but however we all look at it, everyone probably sees it a little different its all in the past, its worked out for both sides

Guess we see it differently. There are many good owners in the league, but I do not believe they would have handled it the way Jim did. I also don't think that he painted himself into a corner with the Manning contract. I think it was a "call" situation, and Peyton looked him and Bill in the eye and said, "I'll be ready to play". BTW, I think he meant it.

So...perhaps genius isn't the descriptive word, but he is far from just a good owner. He is a rare, smart, savvy, gutsy, and classy owner. There are few owners in the NFL that I would give all those descriptions to. That is my opinion that will not likely change.

Nice job of putting a Christmas bow on the whole situation in INDY there Warhorse! Well said... :thmup::colts:Yoda, AKA Peyton Manning, never jokes about NFL football. haha Ready to play indeed...

I think I'd agree with the bolded, for the most part. I just wouldn't say "genius."

Regarding the Manning contract, they could have simply changed the date the option bonus was to be paid on. If it had been due in June instead of in March, even if the decision to release him was the same, the team would have avoided having such a large dead cap hit. And so on. I don't think I'll ever be critical of the decision; that's not fair. But if they -- meaning Irsay, Polian and Condon -- had been more prudent, they could have avoided some of the contract trouble that Manning's release has caused. It's not a big deal, but it could have been done better.

I think I'd agree with the bolded, for the most part. I just wouldn't say "genius."

Regarding the Manning contract, they could have simply changed the date the option bonus was to be paid on. If it had been due in June instead of in March, even if the decision to release him was the same, the team would have avoided having such a large dead cap hit. And so on. I don't think I'll ever be critical of the decision; that's not fair. But if they -- meaning Irsay, Polian and Condon -- had been more prudent, they could have avoided some of the contract trouble that Manning's release has caused. It's not a big deal, but it could have been done better.

could have been done better from a pr perspective as well.