Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Al

RG3 "It was totally by design"

162 posts in this topic

I'm not going to lie, I laughed my butt of at 6 just because the gif went long enough to see the missed tackle..lmbo.

But seriously, if you really look at those, you can see that a good portion of those were tipped and/or affected by pressure. Some, he could have used better judgement but we can't see what the QB sees, especially as it relates to hidden coverage and things of that nature. But 6 was funny as crap.

Maybe I'll go back over the tape and post the all-22 views of those plays and check out coverages...maybe the D was sugaring, or maybe the WRs misread coverages and ran a wrong route....pressure....who knows. Then again, that takes a while to put together a post...we'll see how I feel :)

---- as a side note...I got a couple good laughs out of some of the friendly jabs in this thread. :)

Evan Silva who writes for Roto world and NBC sports who I respect because he watches hours and hours of film just tweeted this.

Evan Silva@evansilva

#Redskins are in best position to win NFC East. Better division record than NYG/DAL, wins over both & easiest road. GMen, Boys skeds brutal.

Evan Silva@evansilva

And it will be difficult to continue to pretend that Luck is better than RG3 when Griffin's #Redskins are NFC East champs in a month.

Who was it that said RG3 was gonna get seriously injured because of the way he plays?

Argue what you want.. 'could have happened to any qb'.. but the way he and players like Vick roll, they are far more likely.

Who was it that said RG3 was gonna get seriously injured because of the way he plays?

Argue what you want.. 'could have happened to any qb'.. but the way he and players like Vick roll, they are far more likely.

I think just about everybody has said this. It was only a matter of time. Don't look serious though.

I think just about everybody has said this. It was only a matter of time. Don't look serious though.

That was just a freak injury though. He has taken most of his damage in the pocket this game. And just like that, the Redskins win..lmbo

That was just a freak injury though. He has taken most of his damage in the pocket this game. And just like that, the Redskins win..lmbo

Every injury is a freak injury. It's not like anybody is going out and getting injured on purpose. Point is, with the way he plays, he is in for a lot more of these injuries. BTW, Cousins saved the Skins playoff hopes.

Every injury is a freak injury. It's not like anybody is going out and getting injured on purpose. Point is, with the way he plays, he is in for a lot more of these injuries. BTW, Cousins saved the Skins playoff hopes.

Did you watch the game? He was getting hit more and harder in the pocket than outside of it.

Did you watch the game? He was getting hit more and harder in the pocket than outside of it.

Was the injury in the pocket

1 person likes this

Who cares? The point is, he took off running got nailed in the knee and now he's hurt. It don't matter if he gets hit more in the pocket or not. He got hurt on a play where he took off running. Seriously man, you keep grasping for the excuse straws.

can't deny that one....tried to make a play and exposed himself. Spin it however you want, point is, the people that said he would be more susceptible are correct. Griffin was showing better judgement as the year went on, but when crunch time came and it was on him to make a play, that's the risk.

1 person likes this

Who cares? The point is, he took off running got nailed in the knee and now he's hurt. It don't matter if he gets hit more in the pocket or not. He got hurt on a play where he took off running. Seriously man, you keep grasping for the excuse straws.

I'm not grasping for any excuse. He got hit extending the play when the pocket collapsed and all receivers were covered. Although he got injured, that play proved to be very important. And lets talk about the plays that he still made on a bad knee. Everybody is suspect to injury, but lets not act like a collapsed pocket is the safest place to be playing the Ravens.

keep grasping for the excuse straws.

gonna see a lot of that this week across the entire fan base. Going to split - the "fluke" crowd, and the "quit calling runs" crowd.

I've always considered that an acceptable risk given what he provides the offense. Its gotta be on Griffin to use judgement. Young kid wanting to make a play in a big game...I don't fault him at all. Just unfortunate.

Thing was this didn't have to do with his play style or anything at all. It wasn't a designed run, it was a scramble. Could have literally happened to anyone. Sure, could have gotten down earlier, that's obvious. But he tried to make a play for his team and got injured. Stuff happens. What's more impressive is how he came back on the field and threw a third down strike to Garçon to get them down to the 15.

Thing was this didn't have to do with his play style or anything at all. It wasn't a designed run, it was a scramble. Could have literally happened to anyone. Sure, could have gotten down earlier, that's obvious. But he tried to make a play for his team and got injured. Stuff happens. What's more impressive is how he came back on the field and threw a third down strike to Garçon to get them down to the 15.

A running quarterback will run and will run more than a pocket passer. In a vacuum pocket passers tend to get hit less.

Adrenaline is a powerful thing.

A running quarterback will run and will run more than a pocket passer. In a vacuum pocket passers tend to get hit less.

Adrenaline is a powerful thing.

Inside the pocket is also where many QB injuries happen..lol

Just thinking, probably the worst injury I've seen a QB take was in the pocket. I still cringe when I think about the Joe Theisman hit.

Inside the pocket is also where many QB injuries happen..lol

Because most quarterbacks are pocket passers.

Because most quarterbacks are pocket passers.

But yet, we are talking about RG3's style. If you can, tell me how many "running" QBs faced devistating/career ending injuries running? I'm not even an RG3 apologist but the injury that occurred today could have happened to anyone. Again, the circumstance was he was flush out of the pocket on 2nd and long and didn't have any open receivers downfield. Instead of taking the sack, he extended the play and the rest is history, both good and bad.

But yet, we are talking about RG3's style. If you can, tell me how many "running" QBs faced devistating/career ending injuries running? I'm not even an RG3 apologist but the injury that occurred today could have happened to anyone. Again, the circumstance was he was flush out of the pocket on 2nd and long and didn't have any open receivers downfield. Instead of taking the sack, he extended the play and the rest is history, both good and bad.

Not sure if you comprehended that I added the phrase in a vacuum. I'm not going to do research on something I could care very little for. I added my opinion. If you don't agree then super.

Not sure if you comprehended that I added the phrase in a vacuum. I'm not going to do research on something I could care very little for. I added my opinion. If you don't agree then super.

I understood what you meant and I understood you using the word vacuum, but you responded to my post as it relates to an injury. So, while I can agree that "running" QBs get hit more, I also understand that more hits does = injury, which is what you missed in matugi's post. This wasn't a designed run. Matter of fact, he stayed in the pocket long enough but when it is less than 2 minutes to go and your playoff chances are on the line, what QB who wants to win wouldn't make this run. Again, this had nothing about being a running QB. Peyton Manning and his grandma speed would have tried to make a run for it in the same situation..lol.

I understood what you meant and I understood you using the word vacuum, but you responded to my post as it relates to an injury. So, while I can agree that "running" QBs get hit more, I also understand that more hits does = injury, which is what you missed in matugi's post. This wasn't a designed run. Matter of fact, he stayed in the pocket long enough but when it is less than 2 minutes to go and your playoff chances are on the line, what QB who wants to win wouldn't make this run. Again, this had nothing about being a running QB. Peyton Manning and his grandma speed would have tried to make a run for it in the same situation..lol.

If injuries can happen on any hit, then more hits increases the potential for injuries.

Another QB may have thrown the ball away, taken a sack, slid earlier. Because of Griffin's style, he's going to expose himself more often than a typical QB. Its also that same style that makes the offense effective.

Another QB may have thrown the ball away, taken a sack, slid earlier. Because of Griffin's style, he's going to expose himself more often than a typical QB. Its also that same style that makes the offense effective.

I don't understand the defensiveness to this topic.

He's already suffered 2 injuries this season, and both times when he tucked the ball and ran it.

Yes injuries can and do happen in the pocket, but you open yourself to more hits, and more dangerous hits when you run as a QB. It's not a knock on RG3 its just reality.

With that amount of time left, I've seen slower QBs try to get extra yards. Looking at the play...

1. Throwing the ball away would have put them in 3rd and Long

2. Taking the sack would have taken time off the clock and and put them further back

3. With sliding, if you go back and look at the play, when he saw 3 Raven, he started to go down. He got hurt while going down and it was a split second thing. If you go back and look at it at real time, you will see what most people saw looking at it.

I agree, he should have slid but he did acknowledge the Ravens and started to go down.

He's already suffered 2 injuries this season, and both times when he tucked the ball and ran it.

Yes injuries can and do happen in the pocket, but you open yourself to more hits, and more dangerous hits when you run as a QB. It's not a knock on RG3 its just reality.

not sure if you're response was directed at my quote or just a general, but I'm not defending anything. We're saying the same thing.

With that amount of time left, I've seen slower QBs try to get extra yards. Looking at the play...

1. Throwing the ball away would have put them in 3rd and Long

2. Taking the sack would have taken time off the clock and and put them further back

3. With sliding, if you go back and look at the play, when he saw 3 Raven, he started to go down. He got hurt while going down and it was a split second thing. If you go back and look at it at real time, you will see what most people saw looking at it.

I agree, he should have slid but he did acknowledge the Ravens and started to go down.

not telling me anything I don't already know and I saw it live too :) My only point is that the result of the play is in part a function of play style. In that situation, I tend to think pocket QBs (the Mannings and Bradys of the world) would have most likely gone to the 3rd and long. If you disagree with that, then so be it.

I don't think it's a defensive thing but a lot of people here are so stuck on him being a "running" QB that they totally miss how the injury happen. He got flushed out the pocket on a delayed blitz. Him taking that sack would have made that a 3rd and around 20, and their 3rd down success has been documented enough on here to know that wouldn't have been the best situation. I'm just telling people that this isn't a matter of him being a "running" QB as much as him trying to extend the play with his feet. Injury happened on a hit while he was going down. Again, he was going down and got hit.

To put it into proper perspective, if he was a "pocket" QB who was injured by getting hit while sliding, the type of QB he is wouldn't be brought into question. But similar situation happened today and the first the that people bring up is "it's just his style of play" without even seeing the play.

not sure if you're response was directed at my quote or just a general, but I'm not defending anything. We're saying the same thing.

haha no I was agreeing with you.

My comment about the defensiveness is just an observation about this thread.

Sorry if I was confusing lol.

1 person likes this

not telling me anything I don't already know and I saw it live too :) My only point is that the result of the play is in part a function of play style. In that situation, I tend to think pocket QBs (the Mannings and Bradys of the world) would have most likely gone to the 3rd and long. If you disagree with that, then so be it.

I disagree just because of your last sentence. ;) lol

I actually touched on this in my last post.

Thing is, if I didn't see both Manning and Brady scramble this year, when a game wasn't on the line, why would I think they wouldn't run in that situation seeing as important this game was to the Redskins? I just tend to look at the situation before I look at the person.

Thing is, if I didn't see both Manning and Brady scramble this year, when a game wasn't on the line, why would I think they wouldn't run in that situation seeing as important this game was to the Redskins? I just tend to look at the situation before I look at the person.

I didn't see what down it occured on but if it wasn't third then the smart move is throw it away and live to play another down as far as a traditional passer goes in this league

I didn't see what down it occured on but if it wasn't third then the smart move is throw it away and live to play another down as far as a traditional passer goes in this league

It was 2nd and 14 I think, with a little under 2 minutes left. Any of time, I would be like throw it away, but with the game, and possible playoff, on the line, I don't fault him for taking off.

my point though is that a manning scramble does not equal a griffin scramble, much more conservative and measured in his approach - if Manning would even scramble in that situation....and Manning hurdling a defender is an outlier :) I've seen them all scramble plenty, and those guys are more judicious once they leave the pocket.

my point though is that a manning scramble does not equal a griffin scramble, much more conservative and measured in his approach - if Manning would even scramble in that situation....and Manning hurdling a defender is an outlier :) I've seen them all scramble plenty, and those guys are more judicious once they leave the pocket.

I agree mainly you will see they head towards the sidelines and run which in turn usually means they will be pushed out of bounds

to me this is babying the qb. that is why cam is having a bad year. defenses adopted to his college offense.

uh no..the reason Cam is having a bad year is because of his *ic OC..Cam didn't run the option last year but for some reason they started implement it this year..inconsistency in play-calling hurt him because last year he proved to everyone that not only can he run he can also throw from the pocket and run a pro-style offense..

LMBO.....I just pictured Manning scrambling and its painful everytime.

I mean, we are essential in 75% agreeance. My thing is, the first thing that someone will say is, "he is just a runner" totally ignoring the fact that he got hit trying to go down. He couldn't go out of bounds because of defender location so he got like 2 more yards and tried to go down safely. He just happened to get hit while trying to go down safely..lol.

Just read the report that the MRI came back and it was just a sprain.

you were saying