Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why's everyone gettin' all emotional about possibly playin' the Broncos in the Playoffs?

coltsgoodin

They way I look at it, HUGE advantage Colts in that case because the only ones that will let it get to them will be Peyton Manning and the Colts fans so, you all know what that means, COLTS win and thats all that matters...Also, Peyton will be confused and throw multiple times to our Colts for plenty of INT's. ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They way I look at it, HUGE advantage Colts in that case because the only ones that will let it get to them will be Peyton Manning and the Colts fans so, you all know what that means, COLTS win and thats all that matters...Also, Peyton will be confused and throw multiple times to our Colts for plenty of INT's. ;)

:facepalm: :slaphead:

yeah wouldn't bet on that...

oh my.

if we play the broncos and lose some * might write an article about why we should have kept manning lol

That is the main reason I dont want it. It would be too much drama that would distract a younger team like the Colts more than the Broncos that have more vets. Unnecessary drama rehashing the Irsay decision all over again. For the sake of a fan base which is still coming to terms with it, and for the sake of Luck and the rookies, I dont want this Colts team to be a focal point for anything other than FOOTBALL.

That is the main reason I dont want it. It would be too much drama that would distract a younger team like the Colts more than the Broncos that have more vets. Unnecessary drama rehashing the Irsay decision all over again. For the sake of a fan base which is still coming to terms with it, and for the sake of Luck and the rookies, I dont want this Colts team to be a focal point for anything other than FOOTBALL.

Good post Chad72 and I agree 100% :thmup:

There are many reasons I don't want to play Denver, but this is reason #1: Peyton would destroy this secondary. He would play them like clowns. Give us Flacco and we might have a game.

The Colts still have to make it though, and that's not guaranteed.

I want this game to happen. I'm crossing my fingers and toes, It will be a good for the Peyton first fans and the Luck fans to come together under the Colts banner!

All I remember is Peyton in America's Game on NFL Network following our SB winning year. He told Mr.Polian or Mr.Irsay before the draft that if you dont draft me, I will kick your butt the next 15 years. If he did really say that, I can imagine what he is thinking now (though the 15 years maybe 5 years for bulletin board material now :)).

I also remember Favre vs Rodgers when they met first. It will actually divide more fans than unite because Peyton did not leave like Favre and left gracefully, IMO. That is why I dont want it to happen.

YES SIR!!! PEYTON WILL CHOCK!! AGAIN!

All I remember is Peyton in America's Game on NFL Network following our SB winning year. He told Mr.Polian or Mr.Irsay before the draft that if you dont draft me, I will kick your butt the next 15 years. If he did really say that, I can imagine what he is thinking now (though the 15 years maybe 5 years for bulletin board material now :)).

I hadn't thought of that, but honestly, he's probably thankful to be in Denver, everything considered. If he's still here, Caldwell and Polian are still in business.

Guess I am in the minority with the crowd that wants to see this game. While the media would have a field day with it, I honestly don't think the Colts would have anything to lose. We would be playing a road playoff game, the first for Luck and the majority of the other Colts players, many of them rookies, against one of the greatest QBs of all time, in one of the toughest NFL venues. We would not be expected to win by a long shot. I think it would be a great learning experience for our rookies especially by giving them an idea of what playoff football is all about. And I would not expect a win, but I would still hope for one.

And yes, Manning would destroy this secondary, but so far this year our defense has not been dominate but has always played well enough for us to win. Outside of Manning, the Bronco offense does not have electric playmakers. I honestly don't think the Broncos would put up a ton of points on us. I think Manning would just have 10 play drives that ate up a ton of time. It would come down to whether Luck and the offense could stay on the field and keep Manning off.

I don't want us to play the Bronco's because the media will have a field day with it. No matter the outcome, the media will make way too much out of it.

Just imagine if the broncos beat the colts and the pats (manning vs. Brady again) and then broncos play giants in the sb. For the media that would be a birthday party at a 3 ring circus on christmas day...times a thousand. Lol

Actually though i agree with you and would prefer we play pats or ravens so it can be just a game. Let them focus on the game without all the distraction the media would cause due to the storylines.

Guess I am in the minority with the crowd that wants to see this game. While the media would have a field day with it, I honestly don't think the Colts would have anything to lose. We would be playing a road playoff game, the first for Luck and the majority of the other Colts players, many of them rookies, against one of the greatest QBs of all time, in one of the toughest NFL venues. We would not be expected to win by a long shot. I think it would be a great learning experience for our rookies especially by giving them an idea of what playoff football is all about. And I would not expect a win, but I would still hope for one.

And yes, Manning would destroy this secondary, but so far this year our defense has not been dominate but has always played well enough for us to win. Outside of Manning, the Bronco offense does not have electric playmakers. I honestly don't think the Broncos would put up a ton of points on us. I think Manning would just have 10 play drives that ate up a ton of time. It would come down to whether Luck and the offense could stay on the field and keep Manning off.

The Colts wont have anything to lose, regardless of who we play. It is all about matchups in the playoffs.

The problem is that the Broncos are a team with D and ST capabilities. The Broncos' D will force a lot of turnovers against Luck with that pass rush. The Ravens and the Patriots do not have nearly the pass rush that the Broncos have, if you have been paying attention to Von Miller and company but the Pats have the super efficient O to make us pay for our O's mistakes, so do the Broncos. :)

By virtue of bad field position our O will generate for our D, Peyton would probably get a few gimme TDs like Brady did against us at Foxboro due to turnovers. And then, before you know it, on the road, it gets one sided pretty soon. Originally, I thought the Broncos might be an OK matchup for us but then after seeing their D vs the Bucs, I'd prefer to play the Ravens, being honest here.

Normally, Ravens are a very good wild card team. But this year, with Ray Lewis banged up, Suggs banged up and Ngata missing, we stand the best chance vs their D because the strength of our team is still in our O primarily and our D matches up better against their run oriented O that does not use zone blocking as much like the Texans or Redskins. Even if we have setbacks on O, the Ravens' O is not efficient enough to take advantage of it, if I think about it.

Peyton would eat our secondary alive... Only shot to stop him would be to actually get some pressure on him.

Peyton doesn't always play as dynamite in the playoffs as he does in the regular season. I think we would be more competitive than some people are giving credit for. With Mcgahee hurt, I don't think the Broncos would have very much of a running game. Of course that's not saying a whole lot because Peyton doesn't really need a running game. Peyton often takes a while to get going, and as the game progresses he warms up.

The Broncos would probably win, but I think Luck could put some points up on Denvers D. Give our team some credit for crying out loud. We were only down by 7 points to Tom Brady and the Patriots(#1 offense in the NFL) at half time, and some of the commentators felt like we had a real shot before the second half collapse. I don't know why people on this forum insist on saying we won't have a shot everytime the next Goliath is presented. We've already proven more than once we can play with anybody. If we lose it's usually based on some dumb mental errors or bad tackling. Not so much lack of talent......

The main reason I wouldn't want a game against the Broncos is that I honestly don't believe we have a prayer. Look what NE did to us with their overrated running attack. I think it is a matchup nightmere. Manning would just destroy our defense. And Von Miller and Elvis Dumervill would destroy our weak offense line. I think the best match for the Colts is the Baltimore Ravens. I hope that game goes down. Flacco is no Manning and their defense isn't what it used to be.

Just imagine if the broncos beat the colts and the pats (manning vs. Brady again) and then broncos play giants in the sb. For the media that would be a birthday party at a 3 ring circus on christmas day...times a thousand. Lol

Actually though i agree with you and would prefer we play pats or ravens so it can be just a game. Let them focus on the game without all the distraction the media would cause due to the storylines.

I prefer the Ravens out of any other team. Even though the Colts have exceeded my expectations this season, I'm not real sure we have the firepower to go up against the Bronco's or the Pats. I think we would match up great with the Ravens, plus hopefully Pagano can be back by then and he'll have the knowledge to know how to best combat the Ravens defense.

The Colts wont have anything to lose, regardless of who we play. It is all about matchups in the playoffs.

The problem is that the Broncos are a team with D and ST capabilities. The Broncos' D will force a lot of turnovers against Luck with that pass rush. The Ravens and the Patriots do not have nearly the pass rush that the Broncos have, if you have been paying attention to Von Miller and company. :)

By virtue of bad field position our O will generate for our D, Peyton would probably get a few gimme TDs like Brady did against us at Foxboro due to turnovers. And then, before you know it, on the road, it gets one sided pretty soon.

I agree with you. Honestly, with Luck's track record on the road this season and with the pass rush you mentioned for the Bronco's, I am guessing Luck would throw a couple of interceptions. I think if Luck could somehow be turnover free, then I think the Manning and the Bronco's would probably score 24-28 points, and we would have a chance, however slight, to win. I don't think it is impossible, but agree it is very unlikely. And like you pointed out, there probably would be some INTs or a fumble due to the Bronco D that would allow Manning to get easy points and push that figure above 30 points for the Bronco's. And if that happens, then the Colts would have no chance.

The Colts definitely match up better with the Ravens or Patriots-- especially the Ravens who I feel have trouble scoring. However, I just would like to see Colts-Broncos. The media would be annoying, but it would just be an exciting game. But I am happy as long as we make the playoffs at this point.

I prefer the Ravens out of any other team. Even though the Colts have exceeded my expectations this season, I'm not real sure we have the firepower to go up against the Bronco's or the Pats. I think we would match up great with the Ravens, plus hopefully Pagano can be back by then and he'll have the knowledge to know how to best combat the Ravens defense.

Very good point. Our safeties coach Roy Anderson is a former Raven too, so is Zbikowski. We have enough info on their system that they run. Plus, they are banged up on D with an O not efficient enough to make our O pay for our mistakes. After the Pats, they have the most difficult schedule down the last 3 game stretch with back-to-back home games vs Broncos and Giants (both Mannings) plus a road game vs the red hot Bengals (they are not converting a 4th & 29 there :)). It is a distinct possibility they end up #4, IMO, and would be good for the Colts, match up wise if we stand pat at #5.

What you guys aren't thinking through is that teams and quarterbacks play differently in the post season. Once the wild card starts, all those 59 point beatings etc. are worthless. We got cocky in 2010 after laying a 45-3 beating on the Jets only to lose in the post season against them.

Look at Eli, he becomes an absolute monster in the post season. Peyton on the other hand looks awful. Brady historically has not played well in the AFCCG (2006, 2007, 2011). Mark Sanchez plays really well. Flacco was the best QB last year statistically in the AFC even with the dropped TD that would have sent them to the SB.

If you boil it down to which teams/qbs don't play well in the post season, the numbers and history point to Peyton. Yes Brady hasn't played all that well either but the difference is he advances his teams throughout the playoffs and eventually to the big game. Peyton has a knack of just going one and done.

What you guys aren't thinking through is that teams and quarterbacks play differently in the post season. Once the wild card starts, all those 59 point beatings etc. are worthless. We got cocky in 2010 after laying a 45-3 beating on the Jets only to lose in the post season against them.

Look at Eli, he becomes an absolute monster in the post season. Peyton on the other hand looks awful. Brady historically has not played well in the AFCCG (2006, 2007, 2011). Mark Sanchez plays really well. Flacco was the best QB last year statistically in the AFC even with the dropped TD that would have sent them to the SB.

If you boil it down to which teams/qbs don't play well in the post season, the numbers and history point to Peyton. Yes Brady hasn't played all that well either but the difference is he advances his teams throughout the playoffs and eventually to the big game. Peyton has a knack of just going one and done.

Exactly!

right now... i would not want to face the Broncos. their D has been playing VERY well. We have 4 weeks to improve and hopefully stay healthy. right now i would want the ravens but a ton of time and games left to see how things play out. but i would not mind seeing a Colts/Broncos match up if it happened that way. I would go to the game not sure how Denver fans are but it would be exciting to see #12 and #18 in that setting.

There's only one problem with that theory: Manning is no longer playing on the Colts. He is no longer playing on what passed for a football team under Polian. Brady's not winning three Super Bowls with Jim Mora and the Colt defenses either.