Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ball Distribution

Flash7

At the beginning of the season, I thought that as the offense progresses, we would show more balance with our passing/ball distribution. Early on, Luck relied heavily on Reggie Wayne and it made it a little easier for defenses play against us, although both (Reggie and Luck) were still very successful.

Recently, with the emergence of guys like Avery, Hilton and Allen, and now Brazill and Fleener once again we've had a more even ball distribution among our pass catchers. Considering the last game, Brazill scored his first TD, as did Fleener. Avery scored twice, and all of this makes it harder for teams to focus on just one guy. To me, this signals growth both for Luck and our receiving corps. We have speed and good hands now all over the field. How are teams going to defend against us now?

At the beginning of the season, I thought that as the offense progresses, we would show more balance with our passing/ball distribution. Early on, Luck relied heavily on Reggie Wayne and it made it a little easier for defenses play against us, although both (Reggie and Luck) were still very successful.

Recently, with the emergence of guys like Avery, Hilton and Allen, and now Brazill and Fleener once again we've had a more even ball distribution among our pass catchers. Considering the last game, Brazill scored his first TD, as did Fleener. Avery scored twice, and all of this makes it harder for teams to focus on just one guy. To me, this signals growth both for Luck and our receiving corps. We have speed and good hands now all over the field. How are teams going to defend against us now?

It was trust and timing, Luck and Wayne got on the same page early in the season, most likely due to Wayne being a veteran and Luck being a cerebral assassin.

Now that the rookies are catching up and catching on, things will only get better from here.

How are teams going to defend against us now?

By keeping Luck in the pocket and sticking to their zones hoping he makes a mistake.

Like Romo and Big Ben, Luck's accuracy improves on the run, IMO. By keeping them in the pocket, you stand a better chance than flushing them out, unlike with pocket passers like Peyton and Brady who move well within the pocket and rarely get outside because you are fair game to hits once you get outside the pocket too.

What has me excited is that I see some *potential* similarities with the Packers team that won the Superbowl a few years ago. They had so many receiving options and a mobile and accurate QB. Also, that year, they had a good defense.

I think with the improvmements that we are seeing on offense, including improvments in the run game; and hopefully with more additions to our defense, we can be just as deadly. I can't be more excited about this team.

And also if they can catch them...

Very good thread and observations Flash777!!! :thmup:

Just wanted you to know....I do not just criticize.....great observations. It sure helps to have Hilton and Allen step up.....yesterday with Brazill and Fleener too......priceless....and of course an old guy named Reggie Wayne 87!!!!! :coltslogo: :coltslogo: :coltslogo:

I don't think we'll be what we can be until we start running the ball better. We need that dynamic to really make these people see how much punch we really have.

I agree. I think the guys we have now are 3rd down and specialty backs, but we need a Doug Martin, Ray Rice kind of guy to really make defenses honest.

I agree. I think the guys we have now are 3rd down and specialty backs, but we need a Doug Martin, Ray Rice kind of guy to really make defenses honest.

we dont know what we have at running back because we dont have an O Line, I personally think if Brown had the majority of carries behind a good O Line then he would be a stud, Maybe Ballard would if he continues to hold onto the ball like he has the last two games, But regardless if you dont have an O Line to run behind and obviously we dont then it doesn't matter who you have at RB

Now Colts need a HUGE offensive line to give time for Luck and to open holes for Ballard and a stable feared ground attack and play action that opens it more up down field ;} When Luck was running and that stopped the DB for a second and gave Brazil that second to run by and to get a pass from Luck :} TD!!!!!

Brown runs thru an open hole assigned to him pretty well. I can`t remember a back having worse vision. A speed back with NO Cutback in his game. Pitiful!

I want a better D ASAP too, but I think focusing on the Offensive Line First next off-season must be the Priority.

And finding a RB. I do LIKE Ballard. Someone similar with just a little more quickness.

Protect the QB and get a running game.

Then season 3 load up on D. Then you are looking at a Beast, the MONSTER!

I do not think we are 'distrubuting the ball' by design...

Luck seems to be taking what options he has that day...

..There's 2 schools of thought..The Bears and Lions dont spread the ball around..They target one guy and they do fine.

We dont have one great game-breaker so we need our QB to take the option of least resistence

Note on the final series last week...Luck threw to Reggie twice before he tried someone else..

I think that one of our priorities, aside from addressing needs on the defense, is improving our O-line. It will open up our running game and protect Luck. I hope that with the cap space that we have this upcoming year, and with our draft picks, we can address these areas. I think we're okay at RB for now. We'll be able to evaluate them once we have a good O-line in place.