Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

304 of 447, 3,502 yards, 29 TDs, 9 INTs

oldunclemark

Obviously the doctor's deserve their fair share of the credit, and so do the trainers, coaches, equipment guys, former teammates(that cared enough about him to show up at Duke), current teammates etc, but the majority of the credit has to go to the heart, will and determination of Peyton himself. He could have easily had the surgery, packed it in, quit like some people wanted and likely begged him to, but he had other thoughts. He wasn't done with this game.

He could easily be sitting in NY/LA/Connecticut calling games/behind a desk/pre-game show, or in a team's building in a front office or possibly coaching, or just taking it easy and being a proud Poppa.

Well, he's not finished writing his story.

Obviously the doctor's deserve their fair share of the credit, and so do the trainers, coaches, equipment guys, former teammates(that cared enough about him to show up at Duke), current teammates etc, but the majority of the credit has to go to the heart, will and determination of Peyton himself. He could have easily had the surgery, packed it in, quit like some people wanted and likely begged him to, but he had other thoughts. He wasn't done with this game.

He could easily be sitting in NY/LA/Connecticut calling games/behind a desk/pre-game show, or in a team's building in a front office or possibly coaching, or just taking it easy and being a proud Poppa.

Very true...

He could have quit ...he is a league champion....I'd bet he spent a lot of time alone in rehab...and that's where you can lose hope...

..all his teammates were released or back in Indy........

.........he had to tune out all who said he couldnt or shouldnt..

I do not rememeber anyone every coming back off an injury this severe in his late 30s

Somewhere in Illinois, I think, the doctors who did his surgery. Might be Northwestern Univ.

Also, that stem cell stuff he got in Europe must have helped. :)

he tried the stem cell to avoid surgery, was experiemental, dont know if helped and what type of stem cells used

My Newphew , one of the research labs he runs is using stem cells to try & get a red blood cell replacement for battlefield injuries but can be applied to all if works, Its just that iit is an army grant so they would own it

Peyton Manning....in 12 games

On pace for 4,700 yards and 40 TDs...

.......a medical miracle....who were the doctors who did that surgery again???

PEYTON BACK ON TOP IN QBR see link below, is seconmd to Rodgers by a touch in QB rating 105 to 104.6, same as RG3 actually, Brady

alex smith 104.1 Brady 102.6

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

The surgery is extremely commonplace at this point. It would have been news if it hadn't worked (aside from the open question about recovery from nerve damage which is out of the doctors control).

The story is more about Peyton's astonishing work ethic and determination, as well as his ability to adapt to what he now admits is a reduction in his physical capabilities. Of course hand in hand with that is the astonishing resources available to a professional athlete with boundless wealth. I had the same surgery, and while it worked just as well in solving the initial problem, there was no physical therapy afterwards, and minimal advice about what one should or shouldn't do. They just boot you out the assembly line door and shout "next". To this day I have little idea what activities are beneficial versus harmful. If something causes discomfort you just go "oh :censored: " and hope that it's gone by morning. It must be nice to have a team of experts evaluating you, advising you, proding you, massaging you ( :P ). Not to mention being able to concentrate on the problem full time ,and having sufficient money to know that even if everything went horribly wrong, you could - I don't know - afford to hire a team of nubile college girls to carry you around and attend to your needs from this day forth.

In short I love and admire Peyton, but there isn't a blessed thing that's miraculous about it. Rather pity the guy who loses his job because of an injury like this and has no resources.

The surgery is extremely commonplace at this point. It would have been news if it hadn't worked (aside from the open question about recovery from nerve damage which is out of the doctors control).

The story is more about Peyton's astonishing work ethic and determination, as well as his ability to adapt to what he now admits is a reduction in his physical capabilities. Of course hand in hand with that is the astonishing resources available to a professional athlete with boundless wealth. I had the same surgery, and while it worked just as well in solving the initial problem,

there was no physical therapy afterwards, and minimal advice about what one should or shouldn't do. They just boot you out the assembly line door and shout "next". To this day I have little idea what activities are beneficial versus harmful. If something causes discomfort you just go "oh :censored: " and hope that it's gone by morning.

It must be nice to have a team of experts evaluating you, advising you, proding you, massaging you ( :P ). Not to mention being able to concentrate on the problem full time ,and having sufficient money to know that even if everything went horribly wrong, you could - I don't know - afford to hire a team of nubile college girls to carry you around and attend to your needs from this day forth.

In short I love and admire Peyton, but there isn't a blessed thing that's miraculous about it. Rather pity the guy who loses his job because of an injury like this and has no resources.

I am stunned , i had surgery in 1988, 4 5 cervical, rehab was intense after, ASK YOUR DR QUESTIONS EVEN NOW

PT & INFO --That's standard practice unless PT your insurance doesn't cover it but u still are supposed to be advised of post op care

Wishing u luck

Luck is better than RG3 in every category except sack estimated points, which is a matter of OL play, not QB play, but Luck is behind Griffin? What?

That was never mention to be anything against luck, would want him over RG3 anyday, I was just noting the QB rating for Peyton , & added same as RG3 actually ( meaning to my suprise, RG3's was just thrown in as i was listeing the top few, but it was about peyton my entire comment

shows u cant go by stats all the time

That was never mention to be anything against luck, would want him over RG3 anyday, I was just noting the QB rating for Peyton , & added same as RG3 actually ( meaning to my suprise, RG3's was just thrown in as i was listeing the top few, but it was about peyton my entire comment

Oh I know, I was just talking about how in the link you provided it said that, I knew you didn't mean/say anything bad about Luck.

Peyton Manning....in 12 games

On pace for 4,700 yards and 40 TDs...

.......a medical miracle....who were the doctors who did that surgery again???

wish i had his doctors i had the same surgery within a month of his.still no feeling in right arm even after additional surgery to relieve pressure in elbow.now 2 surgeries 3 physical therapies and meds no relief.oh what money can buy.

wish i had his doctors i had the same surgery within a month of his.still no feeling in right arm even after additional surgery to relieve pressure in elbow.now 2 surgeries 3 physical therapies and meds no relief.oh what money can buy.

could be worse, i had 5 cervical vertebre operated on for stenosis, back in 1988, techniques worse then, then dropped by pregnant resident & got infected, all 4 of my limbs are affected and when they ask if i feel dull or sharp when test with needles its always dull, ( though i now what sharp is after so many years, but when actually uses needle on an area that still has feelings , i cant belive how hard he was pressing and basically yell as is so sharp in fe spots with feelings, this basically over all of body but head

recent scans show need 2 areas re operated on but Dr is to hesitant to go in as so much scarring there and basically whats left of my spinal cord is already nill

I had great Dr,but resident was an ^*%#%@#@^!#!^ before dropped I waas doing greaat, already walking better

once on floor the chairman of rehab , thats where resident was rotating threw at the time tried to pick me up by grabing head & pulling not realizing neck was the surgical site, thats what finally ruined it & caused infection , he must of thought surgery was lower back

all bodies are different and all heal differently too, not always the surgeon's issue

The story is more about Peyton's astonishing work ethic and determination, as well as his ability to adapt to what he now admits is a reduction in his physical capabilities. Of course hand in hand with that is the astonishing resources available to a professional athlete with boundless wealth. I had the same surgery, and while it worked just as well in solving the initial problem, there was no physical therapy afterwards, and minimal advice about what one should or shouldn't do. They just boot you out the assembly line door and shout "next". To this day I have little idea what activities are beneficial versus harmful. If something causes discomfort you just go "oh :censored: " and hope that it's gone by morning. It must be nice to have a team of experts evaluating you, advising you, proding you, massaging you ( :P ). Not to mention being able to concentrate on the problem full time ,and having sufficient money to know that even if everything went horribly wrong, you could - I don't know - afford to hire a team of nubile college girls to carry you around and attend to your needs from this day forth.

I would disagree..and actually..you did, too. Its most definetly a miracle Manning is back and playing this well, this soon.

There was no guarantee Peyton's recovery from nerve damage.....which, as you accurately portray, the doctors cannot control, was going to occur.

If there was, he'd still be in Indianapolis. Its not either/or. He did work hard, as we said..but some of it was out of his hands. as he has admitted himself.

We are lucky to still have him on the field playing at NFL MVP levels this soon and he's lucky to still be there.

Aside from that.I feel for you. I has shoulder surgery and rehab lasts as long as you can pay for it, which for me, wasnt very long..

no matter how common place any surgery is no matter how simple let alone a neck , complications can & do occur

never take a procedure for granted

I would disagree..and actually..you did, too. Its most definetly a miracle Manning is back and playing this well, this soon.

There was no guarantee Peyton's recovery from nerve damage.....which, as you accurately portray, the doctors cannot control, was going to occur.

If there was, he'd still be in Indianapolis. Its not either/or. He did work hard, as we said..but some of it was out of his hands. as he has admitted himself.

We are lucky to still have him on the field playing at NFL MVP levels this soon and he's lucky to still be there.

Aside from that.I feel for you. I has shoulder surgery and rehab lasts as long as you can pay for it, which for me, wasnt very long..

absolutely true, once healed Drs just said he could take the hit, that meant fusion went well, didnt cover the ongoing recovery

So true my freind,the stats dont always tell the whole story

I disagreed with myself? :P Don't tell my wife.

I actually disagree completely with the boldfaced part. And it's probably kind of silly to debate the meaning of the word "miracle". I'm just saying that it was an exercise in probability, and it wasn't a long-shot at all that he would recover. Call it what you want - the fact is that this was a medical procedure to relieve pressure on the nerve. Once the pressure was off, there was a high probability that he would see significant improvement - IF the nerve hadn't been permanently damaged to a degree that would prevent him from functioning as an NFL QB. And the phrase "this soon" is miss-leading because either the nerve was going to work or it wasn't. Since it did, he had ample time to rehab. He insinuates that he has lost some function, and at point I suspect that the odds are that he will never get it all back. However through the wonders of intensive rehab, building up every relevant muscle that can be built up, and apparently altering both technique and tactics, he is still playing at an MVP level. Based on everything that I read and my own personal experience, I expected him to (and thus endlessly advocated his return on this board. I wanted the #1 pick to be traded) which is why I shrug at the depiction of it as miraculous. A lot of that is just Peyton - his entire career has been pretty miraculous. The comeback "story" is more about the soap opera with the Colts than about his health. I would replace your boldfaced line with "If there was no Andrew Luck, he'd still be in Indianapolis".

Manning does suggest (and you're right, he doesnt say it) that he isnt what he was physically and he has overcome it..

But I sense from his words that he isnt sure he'll never regain more strength in his arm. I dont think he wants to be the guy who throws darts..He liked being the rocket armed guy....and there was no 'now or never' moment ever stated that I heard.....If you recall..some suggested it might take one or two years for his nerve to regenerate completely..and he seems to say that even now..

Maybe 'miracle' is strong...but to me....any surgery is a risk of maximum status. Th 'operation can be a success and the patient dies' theory..

My first choice was to trade Luck for the No,.2 pick and extras ..draft RG3...who would have happily sat on the bench 3 years (he said so)//and kept Peyton.

Or draft Luck and kept Peyton....I still think that was the best choice...for the franchise

I would never have released an icon..and the city's favorite son...I thought, that if he was lucky, he'd return to this level buy the end of this year....or the start of 2013..

..the only thing I dont want to see is an Indy-Denver game this season....too soon

Manning does suggest (and you're right, he doesnt say it) that he isnt what he was physically and he has overcome it..

But I sense from his words that he isnt sure he'll never regain more strength in his arm. I dont think he wants to be the guy who throws darts..He liked being the rocket armed guy....and there was no 'now or never' moment ever stated that I heard.....If you recall..some suggested it might take one or two years for his nerve to regenerate completely..and he seems to say that even now..

Maybe 'miracle' is strong...but to me....any surgery is a risk of maximum status. Th 'operation can be a success and the patient dies' theory..

My first choice was to trade Luck for the No,.2 pick and extras ..draft RG3...who would have happily sat on the bench 3 years (he said so)//and kept Peyton.

Or draft Luck and kept Peyton....I still think that was the best choice...for the franchise

I would never have released an icon..and the city's favorite son...I thought, that if he was lucky, he'd return to this level buy the end of this year....or the start of 2013..

..the only thing I dont want to see is an Indy-Denver game this season....too soon

Easy to suggest things now, that we've all seen him play again this season, Hard to say back at the time it was all coming down.

I, much like MAC, wanted him to stay in Indianapolis, that's never been a secret to anyone that knows me and reads my posts.

Bottom line ~ I am thrilled :excited: to watch him in action again, and also very excited watching the Colts winning games again.

WIN WIN

:agree:

Easy to suggest things now, that we've all seen him play again this season, Hard to say back at the time it was all coming down.

I, much like MAC, wanted him to stay in Indianapolis, that's never been a secret to anyone that knows me and reads my posts.

Bottom line ~ I am thrilled :excited: to watch him in action again, and also very excited watching the Colts winning games again.

WIN WIN

That's what I say......some now are sayingt hey '

knew' he'd come back to this levek this on.

But that's not the way it was in August or before that.

..we are all lucky....Peyton included....and I agree. I'd have kept him.....and drafted Luck or RG3, too

WIN WIN

Luck has turned out to be what he was billed at , " Lucky " for us ( LOL )

Peyton turned out to be peyton enough for sure

I just wonder if traded 1st pick for a slew of picks & supposedly according to another post and article in it Colts were offered a blank check of draft picks / players, if we would of had a complete team finally for Peyton & won SB with it , just wondering of course never would know and nerve damage chancy , then again would we been able to handle the cap ???

so many variables

Just an exercise of wonderment, still I take Unitas just an opinion of someone who watched them all, but it sure is close and cant go wrong in any direction

no matter how common place any surgery is no matter how simple let alone a neck , complications can & do occur

never take a procedure for granted

absolutely true, once healed Drs just said he could take the hit, that meant fusion went well, didnt cover the ongoing recovery

Well Bayone i hope the best for you,For myself i was told this is the last thing they can do.Just have to pray now that nerves heal Doctors can do no more to them.And i cannot have additional neck operation except to fuse more.

Well Bayone i hope the best for you,For myself i was told this is the last thing they can do.Just have to pray now that nerves heal Doctors can do no more to them.And i cannot have additional neck operation except to fuse more.

take it day by day & do best u can but understand your position , took me years before could get out of bed before 11 am & actually function to a decent degree

I am progressive in my neurological,condition since 1988 , so in same boat basically , keep the faith, it helps no matter what the Drs say