Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Peyton Manning Be The Greatest Quarterback Ever If...

Blue Horseshoe

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

If his team sucks without him and he comes back and the team wins the SB at home, there will be no doubt he is the greatest ever, no matter he keeps playing or not after this season. Otherwise even if he gets 2 more there would still be doubts.

It is indeed very interesting to see how the Colts team reacts without #18, which is a real evaluation of our talent.

Yeah, but realistically, I think we can spot Houston a 2 game lead going 1-2 in the first 3 games with Houston going 3-0 and then Manning comes back and we get them at the end of the year, the division and then the whole nine yards :). The Texans find a way to self-destruct over the course of the season.

Faulk admitted today on the early morning local news, he's the biggest asset and the most valuable player to the Colts than any other player in the league is for their team.

He's right, this is what makes him one of the greatest ever hands down. I still think with Collins in there we should be decent IMO. Hopefully his injury isn't all doom & gloom like the reporters/media are making it out to be. Colts played fairly well last season completely decimated with injuries more than any team I've personally ever seen, even though 18 was in many others starters weren't.

All he needs is another championship and he's the best of all time.

Honestly, I think that it'll take more than one more for most people to say that - probably another 2, maybe even 3 more, I'd guess.

Those carrying pom-poms already think he's it. Unfortunately, they are in the vast minority. I personally think he is maybe there. But - the general populace will clearly expect the Best Ever to have multiple rings; can't imagine that 2 will be enough. Unfortunately #18 has been hindered by average coaching, arrogant leadership and stoned ownership. But he owns the problem too via the cap.

No.

He already is.

I agree, I never thought rings were a way to judge an individual player.

But I'm still routing for the Colts to win every game, as much as I love watching Peyton, it's not who's wearing the uniform.. it's what's on it that matters to me.

Peyton is probably my all time favorite athlete, and to me is the best QB to play the game.

But hypothetically speaking, if this did happen, there would be no DEBATE anymore.

I still think we have a shot, the league isn't what it was last year. Remember, rookies, and new head coaches had very limited time to learn or teach the playbook. I have a feeling, that this years Superbowl will be 2 teams not many people expected to make it there(since we're no longer contenders in the medias eye's we can very well be on of them lol).

I agree with the thinking that he already is. He has changed the way the game is played, has taken an average team and made it great, coaches the offense, and has unbelievable numbers in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Peyton's playoff numbers: (attemps-638, comp-397, percent-62.2, yards-4808, yd/att-7.5, TD-27 INT-17, QB rating-88.3)---http://peytonmanning18.com/prostats.html

For comparison only here are Tom Brady's playoff numbers (att-395 comp-637, percent-62.0, yards-4108, TD-28, INT-15, yd/att-6.4, QB rating-85.5)---http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00_playoffs.htm

He has done everything that is asked of him and more!! I am a Colts fan, but I will morn the day we no longer see number 18 on the field. Hope that is not any time real soon!

I was the 18th voter on the pole. :))

If he comes back and spurs a 14 game winning streak and wins the Super Bowl in Indy, I think the story there will propel him into GOAT status. As much as I love the guy, and I do think he's a top 5 all-time, I don't think he's #1 yet. Not with only 1 ring and the embarrassing disappointments we've suffered.

But to take a team that is obviously nothing without him, come back and go on that type of streak is an unbelievable story. It would instantly be the stuff of legend. That's what they make movies of. It would rival "The Guarantee," "The Drive," "The Catch," and "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in sports lore.

Some people would still try to detract from him based on number of rings, but I think it would probably put him on top of the mountain in history's eye.

GO COLTS!

Trying to figure out if Peyton is the best QB ever? I've said this many times and will say it again here, you will never be able to objectively determine who is the best QB of all time. Most QBs in the NFL have played in different systems with different coaches and different surrounding players, while playing the game at different times with different rules. How can one compare Peyton to Montana? How can one compare Marino to Brady? They played with different players, different coaches, different situations, different everything.

greatest ever was montana

never threw even an int in a superbowl

peyton's sb run was one of the worst statistical qb playoffs i can recall

eli manning's sb run, was actually some dayum good stats for a qb

Friendly reminder you are on a COLTS forum. When you dis our beloved QB, it could start a fight in a time when fans are worried about his health and on edge. Remember to show P. Manning some respect. Like another poster said, Super Bowls are won by team.. not by one individual.

So Peyton's whole career is judged on one game or one post season?

That's pretty harsh. I think you made the arguement for Joe Montana being the greatest Super Bowl QB in history and I would agree. I do think the fact Manning is the only player in the history of the NFL to win the MVP award four times counts for something. Add to that he could very well walk away holding every major QB passing mark and yeah his name is going to be tossed around as the greatest of all time. With that said it's an arguemnt no one is ever going to be able to win because to every person's opinion on what makes you the greatest QB of all time is different.

That's pretty harsh. I think you made the arguement for Joe Montana being the greatest Super Bowl QB in history and I would agree. I do think the fact Manning is the only player in the history of the NFL to win the MVP award four times counts for something. Add to that he could very well walk away holding every major QB passing mark and yeah his name is going to be tossed around as the greatest of all time. With that said it's an arguemnt no one is ever going to be able to win because to every person what makes you the greatest QB of all time is different.

Well said. I don't think there is a greatest of all time. It's all subjective. Different QB's have different talents. That being said Peyton is definitely in the mix of the top 5 or so. If he can get another SB he can elevate himself even more.

Well said. I don't think there is a greatest of all time. It's all subjective. Different QB's have different talents. That being said Peyton is definitely in the mix of the top 5 or so. If he can get another SB he can elevate himself even more.

See I don't buy into the whole rings arguement makes you great. Is anyone really going to believe Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, or Dan Marino just because he won a Super Bowl and they didn't? I think the number of rings measures how great the team was you played on and even then it's only a part of the arguement. It's a big part but it's not the only part. Also anyone else notice the rings arguement only gets attached to the QB arguement, when was the last time you heard someone say Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever because he won four Super Bowls or that Cris Carter wasn't great because he never won one?

See I don't buy into the whole rings arguement makes you great. Is anyone really going to believe Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, or Dan Marino just because he won a Super Bowl and they didn't? I think the number of rings measures how great the team was you played on and even then it's only a part of the arguement. It's a big part but it's not the only part. Also anyone else notice the rings arguement only gets attached to the QB arguement, when was the last time you heard someone say Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever because he won four Super Bowls or that Cris Carter wasn't great because he never won one?

Maybe I should have worded that different. I didn't mean get a ring as much as have a great playoff run. That is still Manning's achilles heal somewhat. Overall he hasn't elevated his game in the playoffs. He's had good playoff games here and there but some of the other greats played some of their best football when it mattered most.

i always believed that this man is the ultimate champion or greatest. in times of need he always comes through. with not so great overall football companionship, and a poor defensive consistency, he broke records, won more games than anyone in a decade, created miraculous comebacks that made every pats fan say holy crap! he has perfect attendance, not a stupid clown that shoots himself in the leg off the field, is a great role model, and the truest of leaders, has the mind of an offensive genius. blah blah blah blah ,there are so many things you can say about peyton manning , it seems like the list goes on and never ends. People can ask about tom brady, all they will say is, yeah he has 3 superbowls , (2 of which came frome adam vinatieri field goals) broke the td record in 07 and lost an undefeated season. what else can u say about tom brady? he had 4 picks last year ! so what? and they went 14-2 and lost. The guy got drafted into an already good football team with drew bledsoe as quarterback and great defense. he was blessed to have an good team and had the skills to utilize on the field. these two teams play each other every frickin year man. it goes back and forth. colts couldve won sb's in 04 or 05 easily but nope. Why do you think even top football analysts still debate over peyton manning or tom brady as whos the better quarterback? , even when tom brady has 3 out of 4 and manning 1 of 2. Because they know that tom brady could never do what manning did and change the whole franchise around. thats why they cant ever decide whos better. tom lost two straight appearances in 06 , afc championship game against manning #1 to go to the super bowl, then 07 lost to manning #2 again in super bowl. If manning wins one more championship it will seal the deal. If he wins 2 more hahahaha...

Maybe I should have worded that different. I didn't mean get a ring as much as have a great playoff run. That is still Manning's achilles heal somewhat. Overall he hasn't elevated his game in the playoffs. He's had good playoff games here and there but some of the other greats played some of their best football when it mattered most.

That's fair I would agree Manning hasn't been the best post season QB ever but honestly if you start to look at his numbers he is moving up some of the post season charts and there have been times in the playoffs he's played great football and we still lost. Most recently the two Chargers losses and frankly the Jets loss. I would say we lost those games because the players around Peyton didn't play well enough for us to win. Frankly since Peyton got the monkey off his back about the Super Bowl he has been a very different QB in the playoffs. He has thrown for an average of 315 yards a game, 11 TDs vs 4 INTs, a compltion % of 67% and has a QB rating in the middle 90's over his last six playoff games. Those are pretty good numbers we just haven't won a lot of those games. It's not like we lost because of Manning, frankly most of the time he kept us in games we would have never been in without him in the first place.

Also I would agree that clearly the playoffs is the most important football there is but I debate rather it's when it mattered the most. Yes the playoff game last year was huge but we don't get there if we don't win our last four games of the seaosn and Manning clearly elevated his play in those last four games from where it was just weeks before that.

Again I am not trying to rag on you I just think sometimes Colts fans have been beaten into submission by some of the myths other teams fans throw out there about Manning in the name of not wanting to be homer. The turth is anyway you slice it Manning is one of the all-time greats in the history of the NFL.

Hahahahaha...thats like saying robert horry is the greatest basketball player ever because he has 7 and michael jordan only has 6, and magic johnson has less...not a good argument at all. pointless to debate...

I agree he has gotten better in the playoffs. I still would like to see him dominate a Super Bowl because the last one we won he didn't have a particularly good game.

Enh if he doesn't he doesn't. Dan Marino didn't have a great Super Bowl but it doesn't seem to hurt what people thought about him for the long run.

I see so you're only including his 1st SB run? Well he played against 2 top 5 defenses, and his first SB was in the pouring rain. I know it wasn't the best, but the Ravens and Bears had ridiculously good defenses that year.

I still don't recall Montana leading the leagues worst run defense into the playoffs.

Jo Mo is a legend, and is arguably the best ever. But people left out all his flaws or his not so good times. I guess his 4SB wins makes everyone completely oblivious to them.

No.

He already is.

He is 1 of an 11 man unit! Its amazing he is so good that despite Colts flaws year to year, he puts them in a position to win. So I completely agree with this. Course, for Mannings sake, a return and lead team to a SB.. I am definately ready for Mannings defining moment.. and that might just be worthy of makin up for all the crap he's went through. What a statement it would make

It's been a while since I posted here.

I have to admit that I am still hurting because of Manning's streak ending. I wanted him to crush all o Favre's record (also due to my loathing of Mr Brett). I even contemplated whether Id rather have Peyton play and lose than Kerry play and win (until I came back to my senses). I am a diehard Colts fan and Ill be rallying around Kerry to steer the ship until Peyton is back.

If Peyton comes back and wins it all, not only will he silence all his critics and close the "whos the greatest" debate, but it will show the world how one sacrifices individual accomplishments and records to reserve his best for his teams need. Do it Peyton!! Come back healthy with a vengeance and win it all in Lucas Oil!!

I am envisioning this song in the background as he lifts the Lombardi trophy already:

Friendly reminder you are on a COLTS forum. When you dis our beloved QB, it could start a fight in a time when fans are worried about his health and on edge. Remember to show P. Manning some respect. Like another poster said, Super Bowls are won by team.. not by one individual.

It's not a diss if it's statistically true.

That's pretty harsh. I think you made the arguement for Joe Montana being the greatest Super Bowl QB in history and I would agree. I do think the fact Manning is the only player in the history of the NFL to win the MVP award four times counts for something. Add to that he could very well walk away holding every major QB passing mark and yeah his name is going to be tossed around as the greatest of all time. With that said it's an arguemnt no one is ever going to be able to win because to every person's opinion on what makes you the greatest QB of all time is different.

Based on this argument, Brett Favre is the 2nd best QB of all time.

God, I hope that's not true.

Hard to knock Montana - guy had like 19TD 1INT in back-to-back Superbowl play-off runs (too lazy to look it up but it really is that insane) but he also played on teams stacked with talent on both sides of the ball and played in a system that was in it's hey-day at the time, and caught NFL Ds by surprise

Manning's individual stats weren't great, in particular his TD-INT ratio, but what the stats don't reflect is the fact the Colts had the best offense in the play-offs that year, which was roughly on par with their regular season efficiency, even if Manning's individual stats weren't great. The Colts had the highest 3rd down conversion rate, highest yards and points per drive thanks to Manning. Plus he had his career-defining, dragon-slaying game against the Patriots while calling nearly a perfect game against the Bears in torrential rains against the league's best D that year on the way to Superbowl MVP honors.

He might not've had the greatest post-season run individually, but if not for Manning the Colts don't win a Superbowl - the difference that year was that his team actually rose to the occasion when he struggled. If not for Manning the Colts don't even make the play-offs that year, being saddled with a HISTORICALLY BAD (not just bad, I mean HISTORICALLY bad) run D and delivering multiple 4th quarter comebacks.

Eli's run was awesome - that one INT wasn't even his fault. No one should ever say Eli was carried to his Superbowl because he sure as heck did his part that year.

If he comes back and spurs a 14 game winning streak and wins the Super Bowl in Indy, I think the story there will propel him into GOAT status. As much as I love the guy, and I do think he's a top 5 all-time, I don't think he's #1 yet. Not with only 1 ring and the embarrassing disappointments we've suffered.

But to take a team that is obviously nothing without him, come back and go on that type of streak is an unbelievable story. It would instantly be the stuff of legend. That's what they make movies of. It would rival "The Guarantee," "The Drive," "The Catch," and "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in sports lore.

Some people would still try to detract from him based on number of rings, but I think it would probably put him on top of the mountain in history's eye.

GO COLTS!

Forgive my ignorance please, but what is GOAT status?