Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fine game by Coby Fleener

Esquire59

Ok, we've decided the folks who criticize Luck really don't know football. How about those of you calling out Fleener? See his value yet?

Loved that Duane Allen went straight to Fleener to thank him for the block on Allen's big 1st qtr run. Anyone see that block downfield? Probably sprung Allen for 20 yards.

Fleener was open in the endzone and, yet again, Luck missed him early.

Then that 26-yarder showed Fleener's athleticism, getting separation and leaping for that TD.

No more Allen v. Fleener. These two rookie tight ends we have are going to be an immense force for several years.

i just wish they would use both more consistently in the passing game. i know they have to help out in pass blocking, but still....

Me too. Both are big targets that need to be targeted more. I think that will come in the future.

Fleener has to be a mismatch in every game. I thought he and Luck would have had instant chemistry. I still think it's going to be a dynamic combination.

agreed with all y'all on usage increasing. We've never, ever had the legit 6'6" guy who can get jump balls on fade routes. Fleener will serve that role now. That play, when the ball is placed well, is indefensible, especially in this day and age of 5'10" corners.

Hes been progressing as a blocker and the TD was nice. But he still has a ways to go.

Allen is the better TE right now but you can see the talent Fleener has. If he keeps getting better as a blocker the receiving stuff will come.

He made an impact blocks too, which was nice to see.

He needs to have a much bigger impact in the passing game. So he had a couple of good blocks, big deal. I want to see that blocking consistency come from Allen, and I think that's what we and the coaches expect from Allen.

They don't send Fleener on the field for blocking purposes, it's almost always for receiving purposes, and he's not having a big impact there.

If you want a guy for blocking purposes, bring Allen who is proving that he's among the best when it comes to blocking (for tight ends).

Ok, we've decided the folks who criticize Luck really don't know football.

I hope this is sarcasm, from what I've seen of interviews his biggest critic is himself when it's justified. I don't get the burning at the stake of people on here that point out when he does do something wrong. They are entitled to their opinion and on the whole they have a basis for it. If you look back at my posting history I've always been a supporter of Luck (remember the good old days of we should draft Griffin topics?) but I in no way think he's perfect.

Fleener was open in the endzone and, yet again, Luck missed him early.

I hope you're not criticising Luck :P

No more Allen v. Fleener. These two rookie tight ends we have are going to be an immense force for several years.

I wasn't really aware there was this debate, both have played very well as rookies and I agree they will be two of the pillars of our offense for years to come if they keep this up.

I just wonder why Arians didnt have him in the last game winning drive. With his size you would think he would be used as a great red zone weapon.

I was frustrated by this too, although Coach put him in on 4th. Right before Fouts mentioned it, i said "get Fleener in there for a corner fade, jump ball!"

I hope this is sarcasm, from what I've seen of interviews his biggest critic is himself when it's justified. I don't get the burning at the stake of people on here that point out when he does do something wrong. They are entitled to their opinion and on the whole they have a basis for it. If you look back at my posting history I've always been a supporter of Luck (remember the good old days of we should draft Griffin topics?) but I in no way think he's perfect.

I hope you're not criticising Luck :P

I wasn't really aware there was this debate, both have played very well as rookies and I agree they will be two of the pillars of our offense for years to come if they keep this up.

It was somewhat sarcasm and somewhat intentional. Yep, we can all pick apart Andy's play weekly but the stuff about not drafting Luck over some other lesser QB prospect is just nonsensical.

On the Luck/Fleener "debate", yes, there's been plenty of stupid threads about "Allen's better than Fleener, wasted pick...[blah blah blah, blah blah]". My point has always been that the two will compliment each other and dominate defenses. I don't think comparing them is meaningful, as they're two completely different styles/weapons/positions. Love them both.

I was frustrated by this too, although Coach put him in on 4th. Right before Fouts mentioned it, i said "get Fleener in there for a corner fade, jump ball!"

I don't think he was in on the 4th down play. Allen was the only non-receiver in on the final play

He had one catch. It was a nice catch and it was for a touchdown, but it was one catch.

It wasn't a great game, but the catch was nice.

GEEZ....we won the game....I hear Jacksonville is looking for some fans, maybe you should try them....maybe you could feel a little more positive and enjoy the moment.

I do wish Arians would be more creative with Fleener and Allen. The only time he has them both in the game is when we're trying to establish the run. I've rarely seen him line one (or both) up in the slot when Luck is in shotgun. It's always receivers and 1 tight end, or just receivers.

I guess it was good?

1rec for a TD on a well thrown ball.

Maybe he should spend more time in the trainers room and film room and on the practice field....Instead of posing for GQ and holding a ridiculous Twitter contest for his 1st TD celebration.....

This guys has ALOT to prove, and he has yet to start doing it.....

I guess it was good?

Maybe he should spend more time in the trainers room and film room and on the practice field....Instead of posing for GQ and holding a ridiculous Twitter contest for his 1st TD celebration.....

:facepalm:

You do realize the new cba limits how much time players can spend at team facilities right? And the gq thing was back in august.

I guess it was good?

I noticed several times he was either down the field getting blocks or helping out blocking on the line which is an area he has improved greatly since the start of the season. So I would say he is putting in the work. Stats don't tell the whole story so while he might have only had one catch it doesn't mean he wasn't doing other things. All and all I think both him and Allen played very well yesterday. Add in Saunders who goes largely unnoticed when he is in there because he is pretty much just a sixth o-lineman and I think we have a really good group of young tightends.

^^^Fleener messed up what should have been his first touchdown. I think Fleener could be good but this is the first game he has shown anything that would make sense picking him as high as the Colts did. I was really excited when we got him but he wasnt playing very good before he got hurt.

And the gq thing was back in august.

And really has zero impact on how he plays.

I always get a kick out of the "maybe he should spend more time doing X and less time doing Y and Z, and then he'd be a better player." These guys probably spend 70 hours a week working on their craft. I think it's okay if they spend some time doing normal, everyday things from time to time.

Meh; it was his first game back, and Allen has been very good all season long. Not only that, what we did worked, so, I have no complaints.

And really has zero impact on how he plays.

I always get a kick out of the "maybe he should spend more time doing X and less time doing Y and Z, and then he'd be a better player." These guys probably spend 70 hours a week working on their craft. I think it's okay if they spend some time doing normal, everyday things from time to time.

what next you are going to be suggesting that they should be aloud to sleep and eat too! If a guy doesn't eat, breath, and become football it's clear he'll never be any good it's not like guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have ever made a commercial or posed for a magazine in their life!

Just to be clear to everyone the above was written in complete and total sarcasm and is not meant to be taken serious.

As much as I realize a very near 1st rd pick has done virtually nothing all season.

LOL

Why can't he just be a high second round pick, like he actually is? That's still pretty significant.

And it's also noteworthy that he's been hurt for several weeks now, and even still, has pretty similar stats to most other rookie tight ends over the last three or four years.

^^^Fleener messed up what should have been his first touchdown. I think Fleener could be good but this is the first game he has shown anything that would make sense picking him as high as the Colts did. I was really excited when we got him but he wasnt playing very good before he got hurt.

From what i saw luck overthrew him on the first attempt. I wasnt able to watch it on dvr so couldnt rewind and watch again but thats what i remember thinking when watching the game live.

LOL

Why can't he just be a high second round pick, like he actually is? That's still pretty significant.

And it's also noteworthy that he's been hurt for several weeks now, and even still, has pretty similar stats to most other rookie tight ends over the last three or four years.

And just to add to what you said, here are the averages for Fleener and Allen so far:

Allen - 3 catches per game played for an average of 36.25 receiving yards per game and an average of 0.166666666667 TD per game

Fleener - 2.75 catches per game played for an average of 31 receiving yards per game and an average of 0.125 TD per game

Yes, Allen's numbers are slightly higher but Fleener missed 4 games due to injury and who knows if his shoulder may have been bothering him before he actually started missing time. With their numbers being so similar, I don't see how Fleener can get so much criticism while Allen gets nothing but praise. They've had virtually the same amount of offensive production. I too, like others have said, would like to see them both incorporated more into the passing game and hopefully they will be. I'd actually like to see more 3 WR and 2 TE sets when they go empty backfield and pass more from the 2 WR and 2 TE sets.

No one is saying he's going to be a pro bowler this year, but he certainly has the skill set to reach that point very soon. IMO both he and Allen will be great TE's for a long time, but I do think Fleener has more upside.

And just to add to what you said, here are the averages for Fleener and Allen so far:

Allen - 3 catches per game played for an average of 36.25 receiving yards per game and an average of 0.166666666667 TD per game

Fleener - 2.75 catches per game played for an average of 31 receiving yards per game and an average of 0.125 TD per game

Yes, Allen's numbers are slightly higher but Fleener missed 4 games due to injury and who knows if his shoulder may have been bothering him before he actually started missing time. With their numbers being so similar, I don't see how Fleener can get so much criticism while Allen gets nothing but praise. They've had virtually the same amount of offensive production. I too, like others have said, would like to see them both incorporated more into the passing game and hopefully they will be. I'd actually like to see more 3 WR and 2 TE sets when they go empty backfield and pass more from the 2 WR and 2 TE sets.

No one is saying he's going to be a pro bowler this year, but he certainly has the skill set to reach that point very soon. IMO both he and Allen will be great TE's for a long time, but I do think Fleener has more upside.

It's because Fleener was "a very near 1st rd pick," whatever that means. To me, we have both of them. Why not just be glad that Allen is doing so well, and hope that Fleener takes advantage of his opportunities?

But people (not anyone in particular, but "people") were critical of Fleener after the very first game, because "all of his production came in garbage time!" Never mind that that's not true, but who cares? He didn't dominate the game from bell to bell in his first ever pro opportunity, and that means that there's something wrong with him.

And really, what it boils down to, is that people didn't like the pick. They wanted a corner (Janoris Jenkins, Casey Hayward) or a lineman (Cordy Glenn). I don't blame them; we're weak at corner and offensive line. But why can't we just judge Fleener for what he is?