Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I give up making excuses for Luck's INTS

GoodLuck

Doubtful.

64 hits is still plenty of hits (5.3 average per game) combine that with 26 sacks, But Lucks been hit (and viciously several times) 88 times(7.3 per game averaged) with 28 other sacks for a total of 116 times that opposing defenses have gotten to Luck one way or the other

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh Painter had 9 picks in 8 starts, Painter will never be mistaken for Peyton obviously, but his play was overblown, he had 9 TD's playing in his first 8 starts, He threw 6 touchdowns also, behind an O Line that was being shuffled a ton. many of the decisions made by coaching staff

were awful at best

"I don't think Painter would be that bad of a backup option with a team that used his skills right." --Gavin [For some reason, the quote button loads a different copy of the original statement you made. Odd...]

As much as I pick on QB Curtis Painter & his interception tendencies overall, yeah, in the right offense with simple, easy reads, & a fast release; Painter might have a slim chance as a 2nd or 3rd string QB. But, I highly doubt than any NFL GM would pick him up even dirt cheap though

Even the Salvation Army would give Painter back & say no thanks.

salvation-army-logo.jpg

"Another Pick? Come on Painter!!!" [some things never change do they?]

Peyton+Manning+Curtis+Painter+Atlanta+Falcons+4w1_q5pMkv4l.jpg

64 hits is still plenty of hits (5.3 average per game) combine that with 26 sacks, But Lucks been hit (and viciously several times) 88 times(7.3 per game averaged) with 28 other sacks for a total of 116 times that opposing defenses have gotten to Luck one way or the other

Yeah, true. But still, in the words of John Madden, Football!!! Lol.

So knowing that that we have Stanton as our backup, do you think we are 8 and 4 with him? Also the whole interception debate is nonsensical, he has 16 while being forced to carry the load throwing it in the air 40 times per game, he already has 503 pass attempts with 4 games to go so of course he will throw some interceptions especially when throwing down field down after down

When did I ever say that I wanted Stanton and not Luck? I like Luck - he is our QB of the future, but I have no problem openly admitting he has a long way to go and this far he is not having the best rookie QB season - might be third on that ilst.

Golly sure would be nice if Luck could fake a hand off behind the best rushing attack in the NFL and throw to "HIS FIRST READ" .. which is exactly what they do..

It has been mentioned constantly but some talking head s are RG3 drunk...

And only need to throw half as many passes and run it a lot more. Despite the 17 picks, there are 9 starters in the NFL that throw more interceptions per attempts than A. Luck.

Some of them are just horrible. Forget RG3, Mark Sanchez and Tebow would make better decisions. Hopefully he improves next yr.

kinda looks like Peyton in his rookie year, right?...I think it was 28 nits....I'm not worried at all..I think Rex would love to take the podium after a game and explain luck'S bad int's instead of enduring the soap opera that won't end in new york

Some of them are just horrible. Forget RG3, Mark Sanchez and Tebow would make better decisions. Hopefully he improves next yr.

kinda looks like Peyton in his rookie year, right?...I think it was 28 nits....I'm not worried at all..I think Rex would love to take the podium after a game and explain luck'S bad int's instead of enduring the soap opera that won't end in new york

Some of his picks - like both of today's - have been dreadful. Inexcusable. He needs to get better on the road.

yes,..not a good game for him...3 picks.. But found a way to win the game..he's a winner..I look at the glass half full..most teams lose the game if you lose turnover battle...this April, our first pick will be 3hrs into the draft, and its all because of Luck..that's a good thing, isn't it??...most likely double digit wins this year and an invitation to the dance,..I can't speak for everyone , but this team has met my expectations, ..and then some

The problem is Peyton was playing with a much worse team his Rookie season than Luck. Im sick of this mirage that people see saying Luck brought a 2-14 team to all these wins. Its a mirage because it wasnt a real 2-14 team that same team won double digit games for years and years. The only reason they won 2 games is because your front office gave 2 %s about the backup qb position because they had the iron man starting at QB. If Peyton starts last season the Colts would have won 11 games and Andrew Luck would have been elsewhere. And I know you got rid of some players but Addai was a bum your rb's now are better. Dallas Clark was old you replaced him with 2 blue chip TE prospects. And you kept key leaders in Mathis Freeney and most importantly Reggie Wayne. And it seems you hit on a stud WR that makes big plays in TY Hilton. The team last year was a playoff team with a good QB and I think the team this year is better. On the other side of things the Redskins have been a disaster for the last 20 years. And whoever it was that said on this board they ran the redskins offense in highschool...I didn't know you ran Mike Shanahans offense from the pistol formation....John Elway and Jay Cutler would be proud.

And for everyone saying the Redskins offensive line is so great and thats why RG3 is playing so well read this article from today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/05/rgiii-is-vastly-outperforming-his-offensive-line/

The problem is Peyton was playing with a much worse team his Rookie season than Luck.

Possibly, but Peyton doesn't need excuses. His next season he went 13-3. I hope we go 16-0. ;)

**thecardiacrll- "Im sick of this mirage that people see saying Luck brought a 2-14 team to all these wins. Its a mirage because it wasnt a real 2-14 team that same team won double digit games for years and years." **

Newsflash, this team is hardly anything like last season. Mathis, Freeney, Bethea, Angerer, Castonzo, Wayne, Brown about only key pieces left over. The rest are all new rooks or FA brought in or IR'd early.

**thecardiacrll- "The only reason they won 2 games is because your front office gave 2 %s about the backup qb position because they had the iron man starting at QB. If Peyton starts last season the Colts would have won 11 games and Andrew Luck would have been elsewhere." **

Another newsflash: No backup QB could run the Tom Moore/Peyton Manning offense is what it boils down to. Heck, I'd wager not even most starters could not come in and do it! That we likely didn't have a full offensive scheme on a playbook built for backups, true. Only by end of the year did Dan Orlovsky have a scheme in place that gave us a real opportunity of competing. K. Collins got hurt, and C. Painter proved to be worse than M. Sanchez on his worst day.

**thecardiacrll- "And I know you got rid of some players but Addai was a bum your rb's now are better. Dallas Clark was old you replaced him with 2 blue chip TE prospects. And you kept key leaders in Mathis Freeney and most importantly Reggie Wayne. And it seems you hit on a stud WR that makes big plays in TY Hilton." **

Addai started over Brown, and we still have Brown. Both get hurt often. Both limited that way. V. Ballard is a rookie. Jacob Tamme is a go to guy for Peyton in Denver, Dallas Clark is now a go to guy for Josh Freeman in TB, RG3 is 1-5 without P. Garçon, and 5-1 with him. Austin collie went out early this year(1 Rec for 6 yds) after 54 rec for 514 last year. And you have the gall to say 4 more rookies Allen, Fleener, T.Y. Hilton, and Lavon Brazil are better replacements? Really? So our five rookies (including Luck) are better than all of those the vets that are now playing vital roles on their new team? WOW!! Ridiculous. (and/or extemely good news for the Colts future as they all learn and become knowledgeable and savvy vets together!)

**thecardiacrll- "The team last year was a playoff team with a good QB" **

Yes, Peyton, or Luck in a scheme developed for him. Though I'm not so sure that he couldn't run the no huddle with all those vets already knowing it... I don't think our rookies besides Luck can do it yet except on a limited basis. Hmmmmm.

**thecardiacrll- "and I think the team this year is better." **

There you go again. The Defense? Certainly not the offense (besides Luck). We've covered that ground. Now back your opinion with some good evidence or its just bloviating that reduces your credibility.

**thecardiacrll- "On the other side of things the Redskins have been a disaster for the last 20 years. And whoever it was that said on this board they ran the redskins offense in highschool...I didn't know you ran Mike Shanahans offense from the pistol formation....John Elway and Jay Cutler would be proud." **

I didn't say this, so I cannot address it.

**thecardiacrll- "And for everyone saying the Redskins offensive line is so great and thats why RG3 is playing so well read this article from today."

http://www.washingto...offensive-line/ **

Both our lines are lower tier. At least the Redskins have a ground game. We often do not, and it really hurts the aerial attack.

Addai started over Brown, and we still have Brown. Both get hurt often. Both limited that way. V. Ballard is a rookie. Jacob Tamme is a go to guy for Peyton in Denver, Dallas Clark is now a go to guy for Josh Freeman in TB, RG3 is 1-5 without P. Garçon, and 5-1 with him. Austin collie went out early this year(1 Rec for 6 yds) after 54 rec for 514 last year. And you have the gall to say 4 more rookies Allen, Fleener, T.Y. Hilton, and Lavon Brazil are better replacements? Really? So our five rookies (including Luck) are better than all of those the vets that are now playing vital roles on their new team? WOW!! Ridiculous. (and/or extemely good news for the Colts future as they all learn and become knowledgeable and savvy vets together!)

What I said about the rb's were that this years RB depth chart is better than last year ballard amd Brown are better than Addai and Brown. Secondly IMPACT PLAYER Dallas Clark? lol he has 341 yards and 4 TD's Dwayne Allen has 435 and 2 td's Yeah Clark is a huge loss lol (SARCASM).. And Fleener has been hurt but he still has 248 Yds. and a TD. So yes i think the young bucks right now are better than the old

replacements they took over for.

Both our lines are lower tier. At least the Redskins have a ground game. We often do not, and it really hurts the aerial attack.

Why do we have a ground game? Because RG3 is a duel threat with one of the best play actions in all of football. Don't say Alfred Morris because I'll use your excuse that he's a rookie and can't be better than the guys we had last year. Arians for some reason gets away from the run that's the problem he did this in Pitt as well.

"Sometimes, the young guys make mistakes. Hilton ran behind a Lions defender instead of cutting in front of him on one of Luck's three interceptions Sunday. Brazill ran an outside route instead of cutting inside of the safety to the middle on what became another turnover.

But Luck doesn't lose faith."

http://www.indystar....ense-tough-stop

Well you can make excuses for at least 2 of his picks from the Lions game.

"Sometimes, the young guys make mistakes. Hilton ran behind a Lions defender instead of cutting in front of him on one of Luck's three interceptions Sunday. Brazill ran an outside route instead of cutting inside of the safety to the middle on what became another turnover.

But Luck doesn't lose faith."

http://www.indystar....ense-tough-stop

Well you can make excuses for at least 2 of his picks from the Lions game.

Exactly. I mentioned the first one last night in this thread after re watching the game on NFL network. It was absolutely Hilton's fault.

The scary thing is that Hilton did it again on the play right before the Brazil TD. Should have been another INT and likely the ballgame.

Golly sure would be nice if Luck could fake a hand off behind the best rushing attack in the NFL and throw to "HIS FIRST READ" .. which is exactly what they do..

It has been mentioned constantly but some talking head s are RG3 drunk...

Hey John, can you send me a copy of the coaches tape? You must have it since you know he only gos through his first read. When I watch RG3 play, looks like he looks off safetys or goes through his progressions. But as I said in another thread, if RG3's first read is wide open, whats the point in scanning the field?

I'm going to preface this by saying that I understand that this is a Redskins' fan site, and I understand that they are some choice .GIFs, but nevertheless they show many of Andrew Luck's picks.

http://httr24-7.com/?p=3921

What I notice from here is that his mechanics have a tendency to get REALLY sloppy. He goes a little bit of a leg kick after his delivery, and just with anything a good delivery is supported by a strong base. By lifting his back leg, he takes a lot of velocity off his throws, especially towards the sideline, and they tend to float. The majority of the interceptions in these clips are caused by poor mechanics or a lack of velocity on his throws, and often enough a combination of both. Several of the interceptions are also bad decisions: on one of them in the Lions' game, he stares down his primary receiver while the defense is in zone, then tries to lead the receiver back towards the middle of the field, which is a big no-no when the defense is in zone. Rather than hitting the receiver square in the chest, where the defender cannot get it, he floats it to the receiver's right shoulder and the defender is easily able to jump the route and get the pick.

Luck has been awesome, no question; however, there is still room for improvement in terms of his mechanics and accuracy.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I understand that this is a Redskins' fan site, and I understand that they are some choice .GIFs, but nevertheless they show many of Andrew Luck's picks.

http://httr24-7.com/?p=3921

What I notice from here is that his mechanics have a tendency to get REALLY sloppy. He goes a little bit of a leg kick after his delivery, and just with anything a good delivery is supported by a strong base. By lifting his back leg, he takes a lot of velocity off his throws, especially towards the sideline, and they tend to float. The majority of the interceptions in these clips are caused by poor mechanics or a lack of velocity on his throws, and often enough a combination of both. Several of the interceptions are also bad decisions: on one of them in the Lions' game, he stares down his primary receiver while the defense is in zone, then tries to lead the receiver back towards the middle of the field, which is a big no-no when the defense is in zone. Rather than hitting the receiver square in the chest, where the defender cannot get it, he floats it to the receiver's right shoulder and the defender is easily able to jump the route and get the pick.

Luck has been awesome, no question; however, there is still room for improvement in terms of his mechanics and accuracy.

Peyton kicks his leg also.. That hasn't really been an issue for him

This was the first post that started this crummy thread. It now comes out that 2 of the 3 ints were the fault of the rookie WR's. So myself and others that made "excuses" for luck are right at least as far as this game was concerned. If not for the bad routes we could have seen 4 TD's and 1 INT. Not all that bad ... right ?

Peyton kicks his leg also.. That hasn't really been an issue for him

True enough. Peyton was never the king of mechanics, though. I don't think you want to show your high school quarterback the kind of happy feet that Peyton gets :P What he lacked in pure arm strength and mechanics though he made up for by being the most cerebral player on the field. Right now, being a rookie, Luck doesn't have those same skills as yet which is why we're seeing these throws. It's something that I do not doubt will vanish in due time but nevertheless it's a problem right now.

This was the first post that started this crummy thread. It now comes out that 2 of the 3 ints were the fault of the rookie WR's. So myself and others that made "excuses" for luck are right at least as far as this game was concerned. If not for the bad routes we could have seen 4 TD's and 1 INT. Not all that bad ... right ?

Exactly! And I shudder to think that there are some out there that feel Luck has it better this year than if he had a chance to throw to Wayne, Garçon, Collie, Clark, and Tamme. Really? As Luck and the other rookies who also make mistake learn and improve their craft, these INT numbers will drop considerably, and completion % will increase. Hopefully, that will translate into even more wins.

I wonder if that is why Reggie Wayne was targeted so much, especially on, and is having a banner season. I doubt Wayne runs incorrect routes.

It's funny, Indy Colts fans never got tired of making excuses for Mannings many key interceptions.

Luck will be just fine.

"I don't think Painter would be that bad of a backup option with a team that used his skills right." --Gavin [For some reason, the quote button loads a different copy of the original statement you made. Odd...]

As much as I pick on QB Curtis Painter & his interception tendencies overall, yeah, in the right offense with simple, easy reads, & a fast release; Painter might have a slim chance as a 2nd or 3rd string QB. But, I highly doubt than any NFL GM would pick him up even dirt cheap though

Even the Salvation Army would give Painter back & say no thanks.

salvation-army-logo.jpg

"Another Pick? Come on Painter!!!" [some things never change do they?]

He has skills, and some even thought he was going to make 1st round material (before his senior year). But these guys had him nailed, even back in the day, and why his holes in the college game led to a miserable Pro career.

http://www.fftoolbox...rospect_id=1264

Bear in mind, I think Painter set records at Purdue, and these are some of the QB's that played there (though Jeff George QUIT and went to Illinois after freshman year) through the years-

Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Scott Campbell, Mark Herrman, Jim Everitt, Jeff George, Kyle Orton, Drew Brees, Curtis Painter.

In the past, Purdue has been consider a Quarterback U.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_U

LOL You know, Sunday's just around the corner. What Topic holds the record for most posts on this forum? I think we can break it.

many of us had a topic about a player we were possibly gonna sign in the offseason I believe it was, Vontae or Jenkins oe DE Cullen Jenkins just to name a few players, forget how many pages that went, 39 or something...turned out to be a trade for Davis

many of us had a topic about a player we were possibly gonna sign in the offseason I believe it was, Vontae or Jenkins oe DE Cullen Jenkins just to name a few players, forget how many pages that went, 39 or something...turned out to be a trade for Davis

Yeah this topic isn't even close. That other one had over a thousand replies.