Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unwarranted criticism of Colin Kaepernick

chad72

This is a writer's article applying a broad brush to Kaepernick, IMO:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-28/colin-kaepernick-tattoos-49ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

This is an article about his parents' opinions (who I thought were way more gracious):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/11/29/49ers-colin-kaepernick-tattoo-criticism-sporting-news/1736671/#

You would expect a journalist to be less judgemental and portray the facts for what they are. Oh well, stereotyping never ends.

I have no problem with this opinion. I don't agree,mostly because I don't care, but he's was plenty self deprecating and in trying to not come of as racist, he probably made it easier for the usual cries of racism.

He sounded considerably ignorant, IMO, more than racist.

I can understand why owners would not want their most marketable person on the team inked up like Kaepernick or like Shockey.

A lot of people are judgmental and closed minded when it comes to tattoos. It is like if you have some ink on you that magically makes you some thug or bad person. I have seen it first hand how people can treat people who have tattoos differently because they have preconceived notions. In a lot of cases it just takes them meeting the person once for that all to go out the window. The problem is Kaepernick cannot meet every so people are probably just going to judge him as some thug or bad person.

This guy is a bit over the top. Yes, I feel people do need to watch how they appear and what they wear, in clothes and body art, and be prepared for consequences of such decisions. However, times they are changing and some things are just more acceptable now than previous. If your employer(s) is OK with it, then others just have to deal. Write a different (and better, hopefully) column next time bud.

OTOH, Does this mean CK won't ever be considered for the Panther's QB job? Hmmmm.....

A tattoo is a personal thing. He can get one if he chooses. Some people don't like them, others do. Let Colin be himself and express himself how he wishes. He hasn't done any harm to anyone and tattooing doesn't cause harm to greater society. If the writer has a pre-conceived notion of people with tattoos before even getting to know them, then that's unfortunate for the writer. Let Kaepernick be himself instead of making him be what you want hmi to be. He has been nothing but classy and he has done well. Give the guy a break

Writer needs to find a new hobby if he rather focus on whats on a persons body rather then that persons playing ability

Let Kaepernick be himself instead of making him be what you want hmi to be. He has been nothing but classy and he has done well. Give the guy a break

A lot of people are judgmental and closed minded when it comes to tattoos. It is like if you have some ink on you that magically makes you some thug or bad person. I have seen it first hand how people can treat people who have tattoos differently because they have preconceived notions. In a lot of cases it just takes them meeting the person once for that all to go out the window. The problem is Kaepernick cannot meet every so people are probably just going to judge him as some thug or bad person.

Well said gentlemen! Focus on Colin's talent as a QB not markings on his exterior. Having a tattoo does make a person a criminal or drug dealer. Relax sports writers & NFL owners okay. :facepalm: Chill people chill...

Well said gentlemen! Focus on Colin's talent as a QB not markings on his exterior. Having a tattoo does make a person a criminal or drug dealer. Relax sports writers & NFL owners okay. :facepalm: Chill people chill...

Just happen to have a very nice one myself case in point,and i gaurantee im no criminal

Just happen to have a very nice one myself case in point,and i gaurantee im no criminal

I like people with tattoos because there is always a story behind why they got it in the 1st place & both the person & the story are usually very entertaining IMHO. Bring on the tattoos...I'm not afraid! :thmup:

You know, if people are that uneasy about tattoos, they should have to hang out in a tattoo parlor or military unit for over a month at least maybe 2. People who get tattoos still have car payments to make or mortgage payments anyway...We're not all motorcycle rebels okay. haha

These foolish owners & writers need to get out more & broaden their horizons IMO.

No, there's nothing wrong with riding motorcycles either...I was merely playing around with this unfounded stereotype that's all. ;)

He sounded considerably ignorant, IMO, more than racist.

It was a fluff piece. I thought that he was just trying to be funny - which unfortunately for him it wasn't.

Personally I don't care what people choose to stencil on their bodies, but think of it like this: As humans we are attracted to people (or not) by essentially how healthy they look. When you cover your entire body with tattoos - even if they are all of the Easter bunny, many people are going to react to it as if you are a skinhead with body piercings. It's just unnatural and distracting. I'm sure that's exactly what the tatooee wants from the deal (look at MEEEEEEEEEEEE), but it's not a great idea in many lines of work to alienate a significant percentage of those whom you are relying on to provide your income. Perhaps this includes being "the face of the franchise". Of course he can just put a dress shirt on off the football field and it all goes away.

The point is that he has every right to do it, and nobody should stop him from doing it, and I'm not going to judge him for doing it, but that doesn't mean that I want to look at it either. Perhaps it inhibits his chances of being the face of the franchise in the first place. (IE: would Peyton have been Peyton if he shaved his head and had body piercings, but everything else stayed the same? It's all part of the deal.)

This is a writer's article applying a broad brush to Kaepernick, IMO:

http://aol.sportingn...-contract-draft

This is an article about his parents' opinions (who I thought were way more gracious):

http://www.usatoday....g-news/1736671/#

You would expect a journalist to be less judgemental and portray the facts for what they are. Oh well, stereotyping never ends.

yes David Whitley ..(sp)

how is this article judgmental?

I totally get where he is coming from. Would you hire a kid sleeved? In your insurance office? Or bank?

Perception is everything... I think tats are tacky as all get out. But .... whatever.

and bye the way Whitley (sp) has 2 African American adopted kids....

so......... stop with the R word.

Personally... I think tats should mean something. And a 17 year old kid rolling down the street.... sleeved?

ok.... :)

I have to admit I dont understand why anyone would get a tattoo....

I dont blame any employer who would not want an inked-up employee.

You cant ask people to think like you do

I agree... do what you want to your back upper arm ... but the lower arm, and neck..

You better be REALLY GREAT at what you do... because I will tell you 90% of employers will pass you bye.

Image is everything.......

yes David Whitley ..(sp)

how is this article judgmental?

I totally get where he is coming from. Would you hire a kid sleeved? In your insurance office? Or bank?

Perception is everything... I think tats are tacky as all get out. But .... whatever.

and bye the way Whitley (sp) has 2 African American adopted kids....

so......... stop with the R word.

Personally... I think tats should mean something. And a 17 year old kid rolling down the street.... sleeved?

ok.... :)

I did not use the R word. I used ignorant and judgemental.

Adopting African American kids does not mean he is going to understand and be able to associate himself with everything that goes on in African American culture. I dont understand everything myself but I do feel there is a need to tolerate and I feel, he should expand his horizon a bit more.

A pre-conceived notion of an image is what he is basing his article on. In a midwestern culture, yeah, Peyton with his head shaved off with piercing and tattoos would not work. In a more liberal state like California and city like San Fran, it can easily fly without a doubt. So, when someone puts out their perception of image, they are seeing it through the prism of their eyes, based on what they have been brought up with. Besides, hiring someone with tattoos or not, that would entirely depend on the job they are being hired for, and the culture of the organization that is hiring that person.

There is always going to be this battle of perception vs reality with respect to people's image and who they are. Yes, we live in a society where medium precedes the message but sometimes, getting hung up on medium can result in shallow perceptions as well. Just my two cents. :)

It was a fluff piece. I thought that he was just trying to be funny - which unfortunately for him it wasn't.

Personally I don't care what people choose to stencil on their bodies, but think of it like this: As humans we are attracted to people (or not) by essentially how healthy they look. When you cover your entire body with tattoos - even if they are all of the Easter bunny, many people are going to react to it as if you are a skinhead with body piercings. It's just unnatural and distracting. I'm sure that's exactly what the tatooee wants from the deal (look at MEEEEEEEEEEEE), but it's not a great idea in many lines of work to alienate a significant percentage of those whom you are relying on to provide your income. Perhaps this includes being "the face of the franchise". Of course he can just put a dress shirt on off the football field and it all goes away.

The point is that he has every right to do it, and nobody should stop him from doing it, and I'm not going to judge him for doing it, but that doesn't mean that I want to look at it either. Perhaps it inhibits his chances of being the face of the franchise in the first place. (IE: would Peyton have been Peyton if he shaved his head and had body piercings, but everything else stayed the same? It's all part of the deal.)

Nicely written piece MAC! Although, my father who studies Archeology & the evolution of ancient civilizations would say that body art and the vitality of the human species/health, eye color, and muscle tone does play a crucial role in the longevity of specific races of society spanning several generations etc. etc. But, we are not here to discuss climate change, weather patterns, migration habits, or evolution over time either...Human biology and the laws governing physical attraction is another discussion for another day...

I agree 100% with what you said though MAC especially the part I bolded. An interesting slant on the tattoo topic my friend. :thmup:

Adopting African American kids does not mean he is going to understand and be able to associate himself with everything that goes on in African American culture. I dont understand everything myself but I do feel there is a need to tolerate and I feel, he should expand his horizon a bit more.

A pre-conceived notion of an image is what he is basing his article on. In a midwestern culture, yeah, Peyton with his head shaved off with piercing and tattoos would not work. In a more liberal state like California and city like San Fran, it can easily fly without a doubt. So, when someone puts out their perception of image, they are seeing it through the prism of their eyes, based on what they have been brought up with. Besides, hiring someone with tattoos or not, that would entirely depend on the job they are being hired for, and the culture of the organization that is hiring that person.

There is always going to be this battle of perception vs reality with respect to people's image and who they are. Yes, we live in a society where medium precedes the message but sometimes, getting hung up on medium can result in shallow perceptions as well. Just my two cents. :)

Very well thought out & written Chad!

I guess it boils down to this: If an NFL owner is paying millions of dollars to a starting QB, who is the figure head of your franchise, how much control or jurisdiction can that owner impose on that player and all players in the organization's locker room? If the owner cuts the check, the following Golden Rule applies: "He/She who has the gold makes the rules."

I remember Colin Kaepernick, when drafted, was at his home barefoot, slouched on the couch, with a baggy white T-shirt. You add that up with the tattoos and basically he could care less what the media sees in him. @ 6:46

Since he's a QB, I think he could have dressed a tad more professional, considering his on-stage peers are dressed in suits. He also didn't seem that excited. I remember Anthony Castonzo was so pumped when we took him. Kaepernick, however, looked bored. When I saw all that, I thought I'm glad we didn't take Kaepernick like some rumors suggested. However, now that I see him play, he's beginning to make me a believer that looks aren't everything, even for a QB.

Well, maybe I'd like to converse with an individual rather than read and decipher the billboard first. People with tats are making loud statements before their mouth ever opens. Just saying...

I remember Colin Kaepernick, when drafted, was at his home barefoot, slouched on the couch, with a baggy white T-shirt. You add that up with the tattoos and basically he could care less what the media sees in him. @ 6:46

Since he's a QB, I think he could have dressed a tad more professional, considering his on-stage peers are dressed in suits. He also didn't seem that excited. I remember Anthony Castonzo was so pumped when we took him. Kaepernick, however, looked bored. When I saw all that, I thought I'm glad we didn't take Kaepernick like some rumors suggested. However, now that I see him play, he's beginning to make me a believer that looks aren't everything, even for a QB.

Nice draft day footage there ReMeDy! I ran out of likes. I like CK a lot. Like you, this kid is growing on me like a fuzzy fungus, but in a good way. This kid is has the "It factor" IMO. :thmup: Keep an eye on Colin in the next few years...

Well, maybe I'd like to converse with an individual rather than read and decipher the billboard first. People with tats are making loud statements before their mouth ever opens. Just saying...

As is anyone wearing a jacket, shirt or hat with any type of slogan or saying on it. And the only thing that could stop you from conversing with the person and getting to know them is....you. Just sayin ;)

I like people with tattoos because there is always a story behind why they got it in the 1st place & both the person & the story are usually very entertaining IMHO. Bring on the tattoos...I'm not afraid! :thmup:

unfortunately, the story usually involves prison......i kid

As is anyone wearing a jacket, shirt or hat with any type of slogan or saying on it. And the only thing that could stop you from conversing with the person and getting to know them is....you. Just sayin ;)

True, (and personally, I try to honor that) but everyone (can) wears hats and jackets, and they are changeable or optional. And people make assumptions regarding that too, at times. Less than 20% of the population wear it permanent on their skin, however. Things that are common aren't that noticeable and/or more easily ignored. And vice vesrsa. My wife even got one on her ankle recently, so it is becoming more and more prevalent, but it is still in the minority.

unfortunately, the story usually involves prison......i kid

I'm 1/4 Shawnee. When my mother was murdered in 1991 I was 9. When I turned the age she was killed, I got a tattoo of the End of the trail with her name on my upper arm. Btw.. I'm a former LE officer and haven't even had a seatbelt ticket let alone anything else.

I can't believe they are giving him such heck for bible verse tattoos.post-8493-0-73353100-1354391854_thumb.jp

I'm 1/4 Shawnee. When my mother was murdered in 1991 I was 9. When I turned the age she was killed, I got a tattoo of the End of the trail with her name on my upper arm. Btw.. I'm a former LE officer and haven't even had a seatbelt ticket let alone anything else.

I can't believe they are giving him such heck for bible verse tattoos.post-8493-0-73353100-1354391854_thumb.jp

So sorry to hear the melancholy news about your mother my friend...That is a beautiful tattoo and a nice tribute to Tammy Jo Broncolt. :thmup: People with tattoos in my experience are diverse, cultured, bright, & well rounded people. Not thugs okay. Far, far, from it.

The writer has a point though. Most QBs are pretty clean. But, CK, from what I've heard, is a polite and well-hearted kid, so yeah, the point that the author was trying to make is fairly mute. But, it's not really racist. Just pointing out some of the reality.

The writer was doing the same thing JMV and Dakich have said on air 1070.. "Golly is this dude the most tatted QB in the history of the NFL"? Whit was simply trying to be funny IMO and it came back on him in a negative way. And the answer is yes. C Kap is the most tatted dude to run a team ever.

But so what? Athletes and musicians can look any way they want.

Us every day simpletons .... depending on the occupation must be aware.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 2, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, December 2, 2012 - personal argument

Imagine that. A giant man covers his arms in lame tattoos and wonders why people think he looks like a convict. Shocking.

I can relate though....everytime I go to the mall dressed in my fireman costume, people always think I'm a fireman. The nerve of some people!!

Imagine that. A giant man covers his arms in lame tattoos and wonders why people think he looks like a convict. Shocking.

I can relate though....everytime I go to the mall dressed in my fireman costume, people always think I'm a fireman. The nerve of some people!!

Do you have a clue as to what 'lame' tattoos he has on his arms Ruk?? They are bible versus. So I guess to you Bible Versus are lame. If the man wants to show his Christianity by showing his love for God and the Good Book, who are you to judge?

Look out folks.. us with tattoo's are convicts.. I must have been in a coma while I did my time in the State Pen. Can someone tell me exactly what I was convicted of? I dont seem to remember.

If the man wants to show his Christianity by showing his love for God and the Good Book, who are you to judge?

Religious comments are against forum rules

Look out folks.. us with tattoo's are convicts.. I must have been in a coma while I did my time in the State Pen. Can someone tell me exactly what I was convicted of? I dont seem to remember.

Relax. Take a deep breath.

What a bogus reply. Smh

You don't want me to reply honestly to your post. You really don't. I'd drop it if I were you.

The issue is about Collin's tattoos, not his choice in subscribed fairy tale lore.