Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL to investigate Arians for tampering

Case

Just saw they are going to investigate Arians for tampering because of his comments on suh. I don't understand why.

Link, please?

I've seen speculation from the mediots, but not the definitive statement that you reference.

Media:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/29/league-not-commenting-on-whether-arians-violated-tampering-policy/

"The league has declined comment on whether Arians’ comments violate the anti-tampering policy."

I’d love to have him on my team,” said Arians regarding Lions defensive tackle Ndamukon Suh. “I like the way he plays. He plays aggressive, hard, fast and physical.”

Since Suh remains two years away from free agency, it’s not tampering in the classic sense. But it could be tampering in the literal sense.

The league’s anti-tampering policy prohibits “[a]ny public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player . . . to a member of the news media.” The policy includes this specific example of a forbidden statement: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”

Seems pretty cut and dried that what Arians said could be considered tampering if that's an example of it. Anybody know what the fine is for it? Is it just cash, or could we be out a draft pick?

Well, according to one commenter on that article, the punishment is that Suh will be allowed to use a baseball bat to cripple Andrew Luck on Sunday.

Well, according to one commenter on that article, the punishment is that Suh will be allowed to use a baseball bat to cripple Andrew Luck on Sunday.

Yeah that comment had over 20 dislikes and 2 likes. Obviously he's biased against the Colts.

Based on the rule and example given by the NFL he clearly violated the rule, but I don't believe there is any malicious intent or recruiting going on it. It was in response to Schaub saying he wouldn't want Suh on the Texans.

It's no big deal, but will likely end up with a fine anyway. They have rules like this for a reason, so if you have the rule in place it needs to be enforced, or nothing will prevent someone for doing something more serious.

It's a lot like that speeding ticket I got thrown out of court on Tuesday. It was just a waste of time.

I’d love to have him on my team,” said Arians regarding Lions defensive tackle Ndamukon Suh. “I like the way he plays. He plays aggressive, hard, fast and physical.”

Since Suh remains two years away from free agency, it’s not tampering in the classic sense. But it could be tampering in the literal sense.

The league’s anti-tampering policy prohibits “[a]ny public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player . . . to a member of the news media.” The policy includes this specific example of a forbidden statement: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”

Yep, it's pretty clear he violated the rule to some extent. I hope they keep in mind the context of his statement.

Based on the rule and example given by the NFL he clearly violated the rule, but I don't believe there is any malicious intent or recruiting going on it. It was in response to Schaub saying he wouldn't want Suh on the Texans.

It's no big deal, but will likely end up with a fine anyway. They have rules like this for a reason, so if you have the rule in place it needs to be enforced, or nothing will prevent someone for doing something more serious.

It's a lot like that speeding ticket I got thrown out of court on Tuesday. It was just a waste of time.

On the other hand, this happens all the time. I've never seen this type of comment punished before, not that I can remember at least. Someone else mentioned Rex Ryan's comments about Peyton Manning, and there's many other examples.

A few comments:

1. The NFL has not said they would investigate BA, so it's all speculation
  2. How could the NFL possibly do anything to BA after giving Suh no more than a trivial slap on the wrist after several years of dirty play?
  3. AND most important of all: What is BA thinking? Suh does NOT belong on the Colts! Can't believe Irsay would allow it.

It's stuff like this that makes me hate the NFL. You can't say "he's a great player who wouldn't want him", or "he's ten pounds of dog crap in a five pound bag." The league needs to be investigated for being ridiculous. A word of warning to all.... don't compliment women if they are married because it can be considered tampering because she "could" get divorced in two years.

On the other hand, this happens all the time. I've never seen this type of comment punished before, not that I can remember at least. Someone else mentioned Rex Ryan's comments about Peyton Manning, and there's many other examples.

I guess it would all depend on exact quotes. I know that if I were Arians and I were fined then next week when asked about what are his thoughts about Chris Johnson or Jake Locker, I would be like. "Mr. Johnson & Mr. Locker are under contract with the Tennessee Titans, therefore NFL rules prohibit me from talking about a player under contract with another team". It would suck for the reporters, but it would prove a point. Then I would appeal the fine, and make it know that would be my stance for the rest of the season. "Mr. Schaub & Mr. Foster are under contract......"

In the least he might be fined 5-10k, but for those talking about losing draft picks, that is going a bit overboard.

It's stuff like this that makes me hate the NFL. You can't say "he's a great player who wouldn't want him", or "he's ten pounds of dog crap in a five pound bag." The league needs to be investigated for being ridiculous. A word of warning to all.... don't compliment women if they are married because it can be considered tampering because she "could" get divorced in two years.

I'm out of Likes today, bravo sir.