Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrann Mathieu To Enter NFL Draft [Merge]

NFL | Tyrann Mathieu to declare for draft Thu Nov 29, 10:12 AM

Former Louisiana State CB Tyrann Mathieu plans to announce Thursday, Nov. 29, he is entering the NFL Draft, according to a source close to the player.

Link to story

One heck of a player, but the kid seems to have a big issue with smoking Mary Jane. That has ruined a number of promising NFL careers. If it wasn't for that issue I'd love to see him as a Colt. He's definitely a red flag. With his potential he'll probably still get drafted at a respectable spot I think.

Former Louisiana State CB Tyrann Mathieu plans to announce Thursday, Nov. 29, he is entering the NFL Draft, according to a source close to the player.

Link to story

Great player, but seems to have a considerable issue with marijuana. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a Colt if he could get it fixed. So far he hasn't shown that yet.

He has all the talent in the world. He just needs to get his head on straight. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing us draft him, but I think that would only happen with a lower round pick. If he is there in the 3rd round, I would be all for drafting him. But I can't see him being on the board that late

I disagree...he's kinda small for the position.

I don't think size means much. Revis is only about 5'8" I believe. There are lots of guys in the NFL that some said were too small and have done pretty well for themselves

Edit: nope, Revis is 5'11". However, Mathieu is 5'9", so it's arguably not a huge difference

I don't think size means much. Revis is only about 5'8" I believe. There are lots of guys in the NFL that some said were too small and have done pretty well for themselves

Edit: nope, Revis is 5'11". However, Mathieu is 5'9", so it's arguably not a huge difference

Bob Sanders was 5 foot 8. I agree, the height issue doesn't mean much.

Bob Sanders was 5 foot 8. I agree, the height issue doesn't mean much.

Most fans have seen Bob Sanders in real life...I had the fortunate opportunity of gettin a media pass during the Colts Falcons game in 2007 and met Bob Sanders....I'm 6'2" 270 with mostly muscle...but to say that Bob Sanders is huge/intimidating would be an understatement...he's small like pipe bomb is small ....The "Honey Badger" is no Bob Sanders......

Most fans have seen Bob Sanders in real life...I had the fortunate opportunity of gettin a media pass during the Colts Falcons game in 2007 and met Bob Sanders....I'm 6'2" 270 with mostly muscle...but to say that Bob Sanders is huge/intimidating would be an understatement...he's small like pipe bomb is small ....The "Honey Badger" is no Bob Sanders......

But can the Honey Badger play football? The answer is yes. Sanders arms and muscles had very little to do with his football instincts. The Honey Badger has football instincts like Sanders, and I'd say he's more athletic than Sanders. Sanders hit harder than Mathieu does, but Mathieu is no punk.

There are much better safeties in this draft...he'll be a low round pick more of a project. I wouldnt be surprised if Grigs picked him up because i think the draft strategy, a lot like this year, will be singularly focused.

Much better safeties such as who? I think because of his off the field stuff, that will be the only reason why he may get drafted lower. I don't think he's a project. I have big questions about his off the field stuff.

Link to story

One heck of a player, but the kid seems to have a big issue with smoking Mary Jane. That has ruined a number of promising NFL careers. If it wasn't for that issue I'd love to see him as a Colt. He's definitely a red flag. With his potential he'll probably still get drafted at a respectable spot I think.

he has ruined his draft stock much like janoris jenkins did with his off field issues while in college. he is worth a gamble and i would like to see the colts draft him. he still is a decent CB reguardless. i think pagano could straighten him out.

Much better safeties such as who? I think because of his off the field stuff, that will be the only reason why he may get drafted lower. I don't think he's a project. I have big questions about his off the field stuff.

There are much better safeties in this draft...he'll be a low round pick more of a project. I wouldnt be surprised if Grigs picked him up because i think the draft strategy, a lot like this year, will be singularly focused.

you guys do know Mathieu is a CB and not a safety right??

I have to admit, for some reason I was thinking he played safety! Anyway he's still a heck of a football player, and he displays the type of tenacity that Grigs likes. I noticed that he is from New Orleans, so playing football in his home state may have had a larger than normal influence on his off the field antics. If he changed cities and environment it may bring the best out in him.

He is a FS at the next level, he doesn't have the cover skills to play CB.

I never saw a game where he was being burned all over the place. The guy had multiple defensive accolades.

Not sure if there is proof he couldn't play cornerback on this level. If he had to play safety he'd probably do well

there too though.

So was Ronnie Lott. Kind of hard for a Colt fan to be concerned about a 5 foot 9 player when Bob Sanders was 5 foot 8 and could play FS and SS. If you can play, you can play!

Excuse me? When was Ronnie Lott EVER considered small by anyone? He was 6'0" 200 and that was 30 years ago. That's decent size now. I've heard lots of description of Lott over the years.... but can't EVER remember anyone calling him small, or undersized, or anything that wasn't a compliment....

Sorry..... just my two cents....

Excuse me? When was Ronnie Lott EVER considered small by anyone? He was 6'0" 200 and that was 30 years ago. That's decent size now. I've heard lots of description of Lott over the years.... but can't EVER remember anyone calling him small, or undersized, or anything that wasn't a compliment....

Sorry..... just my two cents....

I'll accept your 2 cents. I stand corrected. I made an assumption without looking closely.at how tall he really was

The experts have always said he'd be a Safety in the league so I guess that's how I've always viewed him..however if we were to have a project pick at Satety I'd like Ray Ray Armstrong.....kid is a baby Sean Taylor. He messed up at Miami by taking favors and blasting it on Twitter...kid's a knucklehead but has a great deal of upside.

I'll accept your 2 cents. I stand corrected. I made an assumption without looking closely.at how tall he really was

No worries.... and apologies from me if it seemed like I jumped down your throat.... your post was one of the first things I saw when I woke up... don't think I had quite cleared my head yet... I'm not much fun when I'm cranky...

Sorry...

IMO, Mathiue is a very, very hard player to project.

He's not big. 5'9" and 175. He's reportedly not fast, approx 4.6 He's not very polished as a Corner and he needed a good senior year to improve.

But....

Then you turn on the tape and you see hi-lite level plays from all over.... (though, less from corner) He blitzes like a Safety, and hits like one too. He returns punts. He's always, always around the ball.

But....

Can you play him at Safety at 5'9" and 175? Even if he could gain 5-10 pounds, he'd be very undersized.

Can you polish him enough to play corner? With so many receivers being tall these days, he's at something of a disadvantage. Even if you believe he plays faster than his 40 time and he's 'game fast'... OK.... but then your technique better be darn good because you can't afford to give up any ground.

And with so much hype around the guy, you run the risk of over-drafting him... he's likely a 3rd round talent.... but now he may go lower with all his baggage.... he's going to have to have a great combine and pro day and individual workouts and psychological testing...

I don't think he'll be able to get away with a very low Wonderlic score like Morris Claibourne reportedly had.... he's really going to have to clean up his act in the next 4-5 months....

The experts have always said he'd be a Safety in the league so I guess that's how I've always viewed him..however if we were to have a project pick at Satety I'd like Ray Ray Armstrong.....kid is a baby Sean Taylor. He messed up at Miami by taking favors and blasting it on Twitter...kid's a knucklehead but has a great deal of upside.

Actually I kind of like Reid from LSU.

After being suspended for this year one of the games most exciting college players CB Tyrann Mathieu will be declaring for the NFL Draft.If this guy didn't get busted for drugs he would have sure been a 1st rd pick, but now... no one knows. I think he can go in the 3rd or 4th rd but this guy has major talent on the field. Would you be willing to take him even with his problems off the field? (considering we need a CB too.)

Not for me. Not because of character concerns, which are significantly higher in his case than Janoris Jenkins last year, but because he was incredibly overrated to begin with, he is not a physical press corner which is what we need, and I don't care about his punt return ability (no problem with TY in that regard).

Plus he is a tool....some guys you just get that vibe from.

LSU-Mathieu-is-permanently-ineligible-NR22GQ7G-x-large.jpg

After being suspended for this year one of the games most exciting college players CB Tyrann Mathieu will be declaring for the NFL Draft.If this guy didn't get busted for drugs he would have sure been a 1st rd pick, but now... no one knows. I think he can go in the 3rd or 4th rd but this guy has major talent on the field. Would you be willing to take him even with his problems off the field? (considering we need a CB too.)

Nearly every "expert" had him, at his peak, a second or third rounder. Not a first rounder. He is tiny. 5'9" 167. Getting kicked out of school, multipe legal run-ins later, he might be a sixth or seventh rounder. Fifth by a team deep in the secondary and looking for a return guy I could see. I was not in favor of Janoris Jenkins, and I feel the same way about Mathieu. I don't think he will transition well at CB in the NFL. He could be a dynamic return guy, if not high.

But can the Honey Badger play football? The answer is yes. Sanders arms and muscles had very little to do with his football instincts. The Honey Badger has football instincts like Sanders, and I'd say he's more athletic than Sanders. Sanders hit harder than Mathieu does, but Mathieu is no punk.

bob was built like a brick % house and hit llike a cannonball...i don't see many similarities honestly. and look at bob's combine numbers...the guy was a freak athletically

Actually I kind of like Reid from LSU.

I like Reid too but I was speaking more on project picks....like 6-7th round low risk picks, because if Ray Ray doesnt go back to Miami that's what he'll end up being. I wouldnt be surprised if the Colts made multiple pics for DB's and DT's so we'll have a variety of studs and project picks