Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Rest Luck/Reggie in the Final Game B4 the Playoffs?

King Colt

ive never believed in resting your players. it just has a bad effect on them. their play gets sloppy, the timing isnt there, players are not doing what their suppose to. i say let them play and let them stay sharp. your chancing them getting hurt in every practice let alone a game.

No because I am going to that game and will be my only one this season :)

Lol! Me too, but I've already been to Indy and Tenn once. The holiday games are typically when I take the family so it would be their first time to see Luck.

When my younger one was little she always used to ask me what we'd do when Peyton retired. I'd always tell her I was a fan during very bad times and we'd still go. Now she gets to see a future legend. Life is good for Colts fans.

ive never believed in resting your players. it just has a bad effect on them. their play gets sloppy, the timing isnt there, players are not doing what their suppose to. i say let them play and let them stay sharp. your chancing them getting hurt in every practice let alone a game.

Then explain how having a bye week doesn't hurt, and I don't see people complaining about that.

And it didn't hurt in 2009, so your theory is completely blown out of the water.

Then explain how having a bye week doesn't hurt, and I don't see people complaining about that.

And it didn't hurt in 2009, so your theory is completely blown out of the water.

actually it did we lost super bowl lol in 2006 when we didn't rest starters we won

No....you would rather be the 5th seed than the 6th...

.....the 5th seed wouldnt play Houston in the second rohnd...and, the way I understand it, has a (very small) to host the AFC championship game

thats saying that houston loses a couple games right??? because even their tied with baltimore at the end of the season for the best record in the AFC houston has the tie breaker for the head to head match up in week 7 when they beat up on baltimore. they would have to lose 2 of their last 5 games which could be possible so i wouldnt doubt if it came to the final week that houston HAD to win to keep home field through out if they play their starters the whole game.

People are either for or against the concept of resting players.

There is no concrete evidence on either side of the coin because there are examples of teams resting and winning and teams not resting and winning and the same can obviously said for teams that do/don't rest and losing.

To me it's more of a mindset. It doesn't install the right mentality that the game of football requires. 2 live Crew has a song that seems to fit this mentality it helps install in my opinion, I can't quote the other Luke Skywalker on this board though. I also feel it affects the efficiency of the offense, even though there are examples of teams playing well after a bye week, one could easily argue that they could have played even better without the layoff. Again, there is no concrete proof to one argument or the other.

There are legitimate pros and cons to either choice. Even if the fans weren't part of the equation, and by that I mean fans paying good hard earned money to see their team/favorite players play, and not being given that chance. If you take the fans out of the equation, there is still history that is being stolen from players. Of course that also involves the fans as well, but the point should be clear.

It's easy to say that the Colts lost the Super Bowl in 2009, but they made it so resting didn't effect it and I'm not buying that. Finishing off the Jets and beating Buffalo would have made the stakes different and while they shouldn't need it, it gives the players something else to play for. Just like the 06 title was sweeter because the Colts knocked off the Patriots, an 09 title would have been sweeter with an undefeated season, as opposed to a two loss season, and it would have got that over-rated bunch in Miami to shut up once and for all. On the other side, I doubt the Patriots hurt over their more recent Super Bowl loss to the Giants than they did after their first Super Bowl loss to the Giants. A loss in the Super Bowl is going to suck whether it's your only loss of the year or not.

If a player has a lingering injury then he needs to see limited action, if he plays at all. A rookie quarterback, and the other rookie/young players need every snap they can get out of their rookie year.

Some have mentioned bye weeks. Regular season they are fine, but in the playoffs I would prefer to have 2 more playoff teams in each conference so there isn't any bye weeks. It gives the owners more money(tickets/tv/etc), it gives the fans more football. That's just a personal opinion that I am sure some will share and some won't.

I'm against the resting of healthy players. Some are for it. So be it.

thats saying that houston loses a couple games right??? because even their tied with baltimore at the end of the season for the best record in the AFC houston has the tie breaker for the head to head match up in week 7 when they beat up on baltimore. they would have to lose 2 of their last 5 games which could be possible so i wouldnt doubt if it came to the final week that houston HAD to win to keep home field through out if they play their starters the whole game.

No....... the 5th seed could host the 6th seed in the AFC title game..Check it out

If Indy is 5th and defeats No. 4 Baltimore

If Cincy is 6th and defeats No 3 New England

Indy them tops No.2 Denver at Denver and Cincy upsets No. 1 Houston...at Houston

Indy would host Cincy in the AFC title game.

if the wild card teams meet in the AFC title game (a long shot I know)..the 5th seed hosts the sixth.

The way I understand it...

.....the sixth seed in the AFC can not possibly host anyone anytime in the post-season.

That's why the Colts want to win as many as they can and be the 5th seed.

No....... the 5th seed could host the 6th seed in the AFC title game..Check it out

If Indy is 5th and defeats No. 4 Baltimore

If Cincy is 6th and defeats No 3 New England

Indy them tops No.2 Denver at Denver and Cincy upsets No. 1 Houston...at Houston

Indy would host Cincy in the AFC title game.

if the wild card teams meet in the AFC title game (a long shot I know)..the 5th seed hosts the sixth.

The way I understand it...

.....the sixth seed in the AFC can not possibly host anyone anytime in the post-season.

That's why the Colts want to win as many as they can and be the 5th seed.

thats assuming if both wild card teams make the AFC Champ. game. its highly unlikely that BOTH make the AFC Title game. both would have to go through NE,Baltimore,Denver, and Houston. thats a gauntlet of a playoff schedule. especially for the colts to run through. we saw how new england handled the colts once already. and were still waiting to see how the game against the texans will pan out.

actually it did we lost super bowl lol in 2006 when we didn't rest starters we won

We won two playoff games before the Super Bowl in 2009, and pretty convincingly. And then we started out pretty doggone well against the Saints. You're telling me the "rust" didn't show up until the second quarter of the Super Bowl, six weeks after the last meaningful regular season game?

Stop it.

People are either for or against the concept of resting players.

I am neither for nor against it, unless there are significant historical achievements in the balance. Never -- NOT EVER -- would I have been okay with shutting it down with a chance to go 16-0.

Outside of that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Like you said:

There is no concrete evidence on either side of the coin because there are examples of teams resting and winning and teams not resting and winning and the same can obviously said for teams that do/don't rest and losing.
I also feel it affects the efficiency of the offense, even though there are examples of teams playing well after a bye week, one could easily argue that they could have played even better without the layoff. Again, there is no concrete proof to one argument or the other.

Or, they could have played worse. Butterfly Effect: You'll never know, one way or the other, what would happen if you had made a different decision.

The Dwight Freeney injury in the 2009 AFCCG is a perfect example of why this is a two-sided coin. It showed that injuries can happen at any time; avoiding them is impossible. But it also showed why teams are sometimes cautious with their key players in games that "don't matter."

It's easy to say that the Colts lost the Super Bowl in 2009, but they made it so resting didn't effect it and I'm not buying that. Finishing off the Jets and beating Buffalo would have made the stakes different and while they shouldn't need it, it gives the players something else to play for. Just like the 06 title was sweeter because the Colts knocked off the Patriots, an 09 title would have been sweeter with an undefeated season, as opposed to a two loss season, and it would have got that over-rated bunch in Miami to shut up once and for all. On the other side, I doubt the Patriots hurt over their more recent Super Bowl loss to the Giants than they did after their first Super Bowl loss to the Giants. A loss in the Super Bowl is going to suck whether it's your only loss of the year or not.

I think the Super Bowl is enough. We didn't lose to the Saints because we weren't hungry enough. We lost because we made too many mistakes. And I don't think the decision to shut it down at the end of the regular season had anything to do with the outcome of that game.

Some have mentioned bye weeks. Regular season they are fine, but in the playoffs I would prefer to have 2 more playoff teams in each conference so there isn't any bye weeks. It gives the owners more money(tickets/tv/etc), it gives the fans more football. That's just a personal opinion that I am sure some will share and some won't.

Teams work hard to secure a top two seed and get that wild card bye. I can't understand the thinking that the bye is bad for the teams that earn it. If there were some legitimate correlation, I think it would have been suggested through numbers by now. But it's like you said, there's nothing to suggest that there's a link between the bye and winning or losing. If there were, teams wouldn't want the bye; they'd want to play.

No. Not unless the game is meaningless and one needs to heal an injury and even in that case I have a tough time seeing either guy wanting to sit if they can play with the injury. We all know everyone is aching this time of year anyway.

Basically.... NOOOOOOOOOOO

We need the experience regardless of the playoffs and playing Houston will be a good measuring stick at home. This is no well oiled machine. It's just oil with a machine next to it. lmao I just cracked myself up.