Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck vs rg3

Greenoughrunner

Ok, I as most of you think Luck is much better than Rg3. But what im counfused about is why more people think that. Luck has throw alot more passes and completted i belive 56.3% of them. And RG3 has a 66.3% passer ratting. But rg3 has a better line imo and a lot more experinced team. And Luck(with help) took a 2-14 team to possible the playoffs. RG3 the playoffs are nearly out of reach. Hes just an exsitting player to watch dont get me wrong. Luck is better and it should be him at the way top of the rookie of the year award next should be Doug Martin truffly. Hes done a great thing for a rookie RB.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RG3 had two mediocre games and then too statistically good games. But when I guy only has to throw 15 passes and 4 are TDs, that is a luxury. This week he is going against a Giants defense that hounded Aaron Rodgers Monday night. Now, if he can do that to them I will be impressed.

I think when it is all said and done, Luck will win rookie of the year because he will have gotten his team tot he playoffs and will come on as the season goes. He is handicapped a bit by not playing a dink and dunk offense like RG3.

Dear Green,

:neener:

Love,

RGIII

RG3 had two mediocre games and then too statistically good games. But when I guy only has to throw 15 passes and 4 are TDs, that is a luxury. This week he is going against a Giants defense that hounded Aaron Rodgers Monday night. Now, if he can do that to them I will be impressed.

I think when it is all said and done, Luck will win rookie of the year because he will have gotten his team tot he playoffs and will come on as the season goes. He is handicapped a bit by not playing a dink and dunk offense like RG3.

I'd say that Griffin has had two poor games, seven good games, and two phenomenal games of the type that Luck has yet to match (his 400 yard performance against Miami comes awfully close, of course). Luck is certainly handicapped by being in a one-dimensional offense (something I've been saying since the first few games of the season). His numbers should be much better but you don't give guys credit for what they should be doing when it comes to these awards, you give them credit for what they are doing and right now Griffin is leading his offense to more points against tougher competition in more efficient fashion. If Luck truly is better than Griffin, then you can go ahead and blame Arians for the fact that - if the season ended today - Griffin is almost certainly the rookie of the year. There are still games left in the schedule, though, so anything can happen.

As for the Giants, we've played them already and actually spent a good portion of that game embarrassing their pass rush, so they're going to have to make some serious adjustments to us for this rematch.

As of right now RGiii has it indeed. However still plenty of time for things to change, all it would pretty much take to even everything back up is an incredibly outstanding performance by Luck and a poor performance by RGiii because in this age things flip flop every week.

I am however more impressed with Luck leading a primarily one dimensional offense with rookies, second year players and a patchwork offensive line and new offensive scheme into an offense ranked 5th in total offense. Much credit to Arians and the great Reggie Wayne as well. All 3 create a nice synergy.

This rookie class of QBs overall has been unprecedented.

Well to me when I look at the whole picture I dont see how anyone can say Luck isnt #1 for ROY. Lets make this easy, if RG3 had been drafted to the colts would we be 7-4 or better just think about it could RG3 do all the things the Colts have asked Luck to do. Think about all the things Luck has had to deal with from being on the worst team to missing training camp time in the offseason due to Stanfords quarter system to replacing Manning to playing with lots of rookies which mean less vets on the team. Remember and this is key, the Colts were the #1 pick in the draft the skins before the trade were what 8 or 9. Out of all of the Colts losses there is only one game we shouldnt of lossed and that was against the Jags but the Redskins have losses against the Rams,Bengals and panthers. RG3 still has time but its clear Luck might not have the stats but so far he has the wins and the Colts chances of making the playoffs are very strong, not to mention Luck has more wins than any other rookie in NFL history.

I wasn't expecting one of these till at least Sunday evening after Griffin throws for 16 TDs and rushes for another 8 and the usual troll comes out in his latest name. Sigh we can back on forth on this one forever and still get nowhere. Stats say Griffin is the best, Colts fans say who needs stats watch the tape, Tannehill fans say look at the sprinklers huh huh. Weedon's fan says hey we beat the Steelers, can we have another year in the NFL pretty please.

As for the OP I do think there was a little of bias though perhaps not worthy of being called a:

220px-Homer_British_Museum.jpg

Ok, I as most of you, think Luck is much better than Rg3. what im counfused about is why more people think that. Luck has throw alot more passes and completed i belive 56.3% of them. And RG3 has a 66.3% passer ratting. However rg3 has a better line imo and a lot more experinced team. Luck(with help) might take a team that was 2-14 to the playoffs. For RG3 the playoffs are nearly out of reach. He's an exciting player to watch, don't get me wrong. Luck is better and it should be him at the top for rookie of the year award next should be Doug Martin truly. He's done a great thing for a rookie RB though.

Fixed ;)

Well to me when I look at the whole picture I dont see how anyone can say Luck isnt #1 for ROY. Lets make this easy, if RG3 had been drafted to the colts would we be 7-4 or better just think about it could RG3 do all the things the Colts have asked Luck to do. Think about all the things Luck has had to deal with from being on the worst team to missing training camp time in the offseason due to Stanfords quarter system to replacing Manning to playing with lots of rookies which mean less vets on the team. Remember and this is key, the Colts were the #1 pick in the draft the skins before the trade were what 8 or 9. Out of all of the Colts losses there is only one game we shouldnt of lossed and that was against the Jags but the Redskins have losses against the Rams,Bengals and panthers. RG3 still has time but its clear Luck might not have the stats but so far he has the wins and the Colts chances of making the playoffs are very strong, not to mention Luck has more wins than any other rookie in NFL history.

more than any rookie drafted number 1 overall big ben has most wins as rookie steelers went 15-1 that year

RGIII's and Luck's games are nothing alike. That's what makes this such an interesting discussion.

RGIII fans will ask you to look at his completion percentage and QB rating, and in fact, they are better than Luck's. But that doesn't tell you the whole story. What if I told you that there is a QB in the league right now with a 70% completion percentage and a QB rating of 104% with numbers similar to RGIII's. You might think, Rogers? Manning? Brady? No, it's Alex Smith, a guy, much like RGIII who plays in a "Safe" dink and dunk offense. Both RGIII and Alex Smith have similar numbers. Before Alex Smith went out with a concussion, they nearly the same amount of downfield throws in which both are ranked at the bottom of the league.

It's easy to have a high completion percentage when your passes don't travel too far in the air, as evidenced by both Alex Smith and RGIII. Occasionally, RGIII will air it out for a very deep pass, helping his YPA, but overall, he's a lot like Alex Smith-- a dink and dunker. Sorry but no one thinks that Alex Smith is a gun slinger. His stats and RGIII's are very similar.

RGIII's and Luck's games are nothing alike. That's what makes this such an interesting discussion.

RGIII fans will ask you to look at his completion percentage and QB rating, and in fact, they are better than Luck's. But that doesn't tell you the whole story. What if I told you that there is a QB in the league right now with a 70% completion percentage and a QB rating of 104% with numbers similar to RGIII's. You might think, Rogers? Manning? Brady? No, it's Alex Smith, a guy, much like RGIII who plays in a "Safe" dink and dunk offense. Both RGIII and Alex Smith have similar numbers. Before Alex Smith went out with a concussion, they nearly the same amount of downfield throws in which both are ranked at the bottom of the league.

It's easy to have a high completion percentage when your passes don't travel too far in the air, as evidenced by both Alex Smith and RGIII. Occasionally, RGIII will air it out for a very deep pass, helping his YPA, but overall, he's a lot like Alex Smith-- a dink and dunker. Sorry but no one thinks that Alex Smith is a gun slinger. His stats and RGIII's are very similar.

First off...new guy here... *waves*

But I just wanted to comment on this based from an unbiased perspective. Looking at both play, yes, they have different offensive styles but it's kind of unfair to attempt to discredit one while raising up another. No one questions New England's pass attack, with Welker usually leading the league in completions. That being said, if you think Griffin dink and dunks all game, you haven't seen a Redskins game. His YPA can be attributed to his YAC, which shows that a QB puts the ball in the best place for a receiver to make a play.

Also, Alex Smith and Griffin's stats aren't similar. Smith has around 100 less passes, 700 less yards, 3 less touchdowns, and 1 more interception.

Honestly, I just can't wait for everyone to see Luck and Griffin as great QBs and leave it as that. They both are performing above what many thought that they would, regardless of systems and deficiencies.

Ok, I as most of you think Luck is much better than Rg3. But what im counfused about is why more people think that. Luck has throw alot more passes and completted i belive 56.3% of them. And RG3 has a 66.3% passer ratting. But rg3 has a better line imo and a lot more experinced team. And Luck(with help) took a 2-14 team to possible the playoffs. RG3 the playoffs are nearly out of reach. Hes just an exsitting player to watch dont get me wrong. Luck is better and it should be him at the way top of the rookie of the year award next should be Doug Martin truffly. Hes done a great thing for a rookie RB.

5 games to go......there's no real answer yet

First off...new guy here... *waves*

But I just wanted to comment on this based from an unbiased perspective. Looking at both play, yes, they have different offensive styles but it's kind of unfair to attempt to discredit one while raising up another. No one questions New England's pass attack, with Welker usually leading the league in completions. That being said, if you think Griffin dink and dunks all game, you haven't seen a Redskins game. His YPA can be attributed to his YAC, which shows that a QB puts the ball in the best place for a receiver to make a play.

Also, Alex Smith and Griffin's stats aren't similar. Smith has around 100 less passes, 700 less yards, 3 less touchdowns, and 1 more interception.

Honestly, I just can't wait for everyone to see Luck and Griffin as great QBs and leave it as that. They both are performing above what many thought that they would, regardless of systems and deficiencies.

Welcome to the board, we're glad to have you! And, I really am not Anti-RGIII, but I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

Regardng the comparison between Alex Smith and RGIII, you have to go back two weeks and compare their stats at that time. Alex Smith has not played the last two weeks due to the concussion he's sustained. You'll find that they are very similar and Smith's might actually be superior up until that point.

Secondly, many RGIII supporters will state YAC as a baramoeter of how accurate RGIII is. In reality, RGIII's YAC is a function of the design of the play. Many of his YAC comes from screen passes behid the line of scrimmage to a receiver or RB, or quick slant patters off of a quick play-action fake. They are designed to generate YAC by putting the ball in the "play maker's hands" with quick and safe passes. As for his YPA-- he does throw very deep. That causes his average to go up, but he does not consistantly throw deep and intermediate routes. And Lasty, I've watched every game RGIII has played on NFL Rewind, so I'm trying my best to use numbers and informed opinions to discuss RGIII. It makes for far much better discussion.

Welcome to the board, we're glad to have you! And, I really am not Anti-RGIII, but I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

Regardng the comparison between Alex Smith and RGIII, you have to go back two weeks and compare their stats at that time. Alex Smith has not played the last two weeks due to the concussion he's sustained. You'll find that they are very similar and Smith's might actually be superior up until that point.

Secondly, many RGIII supporters will state YAC as a baramoeter of how accurate RGIII is. In reality, RGIII's YAC is a function of the design of the play. Many of his YAC comes from screen passes behid the line of scrimmage to a receiver or RB, or quick slant patters off of a quick play-action fake. They are designed to generate YAC by putting the ball in the "play maker's hands" with quick and safe passes. As for his YPA-- he does throw very deep. That causes his average to go up, but he does not consistantly throw deep and intermediate routes. And Lasty, I've watched every game RGIII has played on NFL Rewind, so I'm trying my best to use numbers and informed opinions to discuss RGIII. It makes for far much better discussion.

I didn't think you were Anti-Griffin at all. Just had a lil Luck bias..lol. I'm not as much a supporter as much as I recognize someone is good. I like Russell Wilson because he is doing everything people didn't expect him to but that's another topic for another day on another website..lol. I always root for the underdog.

It's crazy because their roles have basically been flipped since coming into the league. Luck was usually the short to intermediate guy but it's what the offense calls for. I just learned not to short change anyone. The league's best offense, IMO, thrives off the YAC. Like I stated in my previous post, Welker is always in the top 3 for completions but many people don't use that as a knock against Brady, and if I'm not mistaken, the Broncos leads the league in YAC. I think that is one thing that the Colts is lacking; the short pass. The thing is, that requires good up front blocking. I swear, if you could dial up a bubble screen for Hilton...smh. That guy is crazy quick.

Now with Alex Smith, he just can't make the throws. Not a knock against him but everyone loves the downfield threat. But when you have a defense and effective running game like SF, sometimes that is all that is needed. I mean, that same type of play had them one play from the Super Bowl.

Alot of people compare RG3 to Cam. And I see alot of prople thinking RG3 runs a simple college offense with quick reads while Andrew Luck runs a more pro style complex offense. Im here to tell you the Redskins offense is far from simple. RG3 is more Aaron Rodgers than Cam Newton. I think they get compared unfortuneately because they are both Black andreally athletic QBS. Check out this breakdown of th big play RG3 made to Aldrick Robinson against Dallas it will show you that the offense is alot more complex than people think. The guys at httr24-7 do a heck of a job breaking down plays and although they are redskins fans are not biased and like I said they know there stuff when it comes to football. http://httr24-7.com/?p=3792

I've never been a huge fan of player debates like Manning/Brady, Luck/RGIII, etc, because they always turn into put one down to raise the other one up. But I will say I really like how we're handling the development of Luck MUCH more than the Redskins are handling RGIII. We're basically saying, "Screw it, be aggressive, take your lumps and learn", while the Skins are insanely protecting RGIII. I haven't watched a TON of RGIII this year, but the only time I've seen him throw it more than 5 yards downfield is when the WR is open by 15 yards (something I give him a degree of credit for because the defense has to spy him). Who knows, RGIII may end up being better, but the stat gap is purely because he's not asked to take chances, and I think the ability to take and learn from those chances is gonna make Luck progress more in his sophomore year