Luck vs rg3

Greenoughrunner

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have looked into the Skins OL as of a couple weeks ago... and ... they have not had one player on IR for the year.

They have been very healthy. One T listed a Q, no OL men on IR.

http://www.mangamesl...12-2013-season/

That is why they are the best rushing team in the league. Health matters.

Also having the personnel (Griffin and Morris) to properly utilize the zone blocking scheme. People have to remember that this is the same team that was close to the bottom of the NFL in rushing last season with the same linemen.

Also having the personnel (Griffin and Morris) to properly utilize the zone blocking scheme. People have to remember that this is the same team that was close to the bottom of the NFL in rushing last season with the same linemen.

Are we talking about Indy? 2 wins or ... Washington?

Actually Wash was 25th ... last season. And Indy was 26th.

Washington 16th in total O last season... Indy 30th.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2011

I am among those who absolutely could not care less how AL stacks up to RGIII. Maybe if Andrew was a bust, I'd pine for RGIII but, he is not a bust and this season has exceeded any expectation I had.

I also don't listen to media opinions much so,,,,maybe that's why people are getting so jazzed on this topic. :scratch::dunno:

The Redskins were completely off my radar until last year when I met a fan and I learned of their terrible tale. I'm happy for their fans.

Whatever the reason, this is clearly a popular topic. Props to those of you who posted on such a potentially volatile topic with no issues whatsoever.

We appreciate your respect for our code of conduct here.

I did have to remove some potentially inflammatory posts along with all those responses that quoted them.

As far as why Redskin and Texan fans are here............you guys can say what you will about being the objectivity police :bossy:. We all know the real reason is you :heart: :luv: :heart: both us and our boards! :grouphug:

LMBO....no way. Throughout the year, they were trying to find ways to get Luck the Heisman. Anyone looking at college football what have know that Griffin was a good QB getting better every year (I mean, he did get Big XII Freshman of the Year) but the way they were piling it on with Luck was crazy. I'm an avid college football fan so I know how they were putting it on with Luck from 2010 until he turned pro.

I feel that it is pure hypocrisy because if Luck was getting the same media attention, none of you would have anything to say about it and would be elated that "your guy" is getting all of the attention. I just wish more people would just flat out say, "I wish the media would talk more about Andrew Luck," instead of hiding behind the guise of him being overhyped.

My thing is, it doesn't seem to be bother Luck, so why is it affecting the fanbase so much? When analyst were slobbering after Luck before the draft, RG3 didn't show any malcontent. He (and Irsay) knew that the Colts weren't going to pick him but I remember people on this forum criticizing him because he didn't work out with the team. Some people just can't win for losing.

Again, not completely true. After RG3 proclaimed himself the Heisman winner the media jumped on board and went full blown crusade for him to win it, and it worked. RG3 was projected to be a WR in the NFL as early as before last yrs. college season. He was no where on anybodies radar and that is why nobody ever heard about him in the Heisman talk.

To your point that I would rather hear the sports media talking about Luck, just not true. As a Colts fan for nearly 30 yrs. now and going through the Manning era here, I have never been and never will be a fan of flashyness. I actually hated when the media talked up Manning all those yrs. and how he was going to finally get the monkey off his back and beat the Patriots. It took forever(it seemed) for him to do it. I didn't like the colts to be the favorite's, I always liked them being the underdog. It just made it that much sweeter when Manning finally got us to the SB and won it.

I would rather the media talk up Russel Wilson just for a change and keep quiet about Luck and RG3. Patriots fans always accused the media of crusading for Manning because he was Mr. Popularity and to some extent they were right.

Again, not completely true. After RG3 proclaimed himself the Heisman winner the media jumped on board and went full blown crusade for him to win it, and it worked.

Baylor was pimping Griffin to win the Heisman before the season started. He became competitive after the Kansas State game. He won it with the Oklahoma game. The Texas game eliminated any doubts.

RG3 was projected to be a WR in the NFL as early as before last yrs. college season. He was no where on anybodies radar and that is why nobody ever heard about him in the Heisman talk.

Malarkey. Griffin was already one of the most exciting players in college football before his junior season and was seen as a late second round pick. It was his massive improvement in his passing mechanics and accuracy that put him into overdrive.

I would rather the media talk up Russel Wilson just for a change and keep quiet about Luck and RG3. Patriots fans always accused the media of crusading for Manning because he was Mr. Popularity and to some extent they were right.

Peyton was and is a very first class individual. I still miss him.

Baylor was pimping Griffin to win the Heisman before the season started. He became competitive after the Kansas State game. He won it with the Oklahoma game. The Texas game eliminated any doubts.

Malarkey. Griffin was already one of the most exciting players in college football before his junior season and was seen as a late second round pick. It was his massive improvement in his passing mechanics and accuracy that put him into overdrive.

You can say "Malarkey" all you want, but Mike Mayok, Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay all evaluated RG3 as a WR before the 2011 college football season.

Here is 1 article, there were more but couldn't find them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/NextLevel120419/doubters-drove-robert-griffin-iii-make-big-leap

It is sickening to see how RG3 is being plastered all over ESPN. Yes he is a great QB but let's talk about the big catches Pierre Garcon made. Let's talk about how the defense stopped Eli and Giants. Let's talk about how AWESOME of a job the Oline did at blocking the Giants and allowing Griffin & Morris to rush for so many yards.

But instead, all I see is RG3.

Luck's team is 8-4 and the #1 wildcard team. You would think the way RG3 is on ESPN that the redskins are a top 3 team in the NFC. They don't even have a playoff spot right now, they are sitting on the outside. I wonder when Luck makes the playoffs will he get his shine.

Nope, all they will talk about is how RG3 carried his team nearly to a playoff berth and how they will be championship contenders next year.

For God's sake, they have a RG3 montage on ESPN playing right now. SMH

You can say "Malarkey" all you want, but Mike Mayok, Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay all evaluated RG3 as a WR before the 2011 college football season.

http://espn.go.com/n...i-make-big-leap

Fair enough. Regardless, I would imagine many scouts who aren't high profile did not share this opinion. The only of those that you mentioned that I personally trust is Mayock because he is the only among them that actually has experience.

It is sickening to see how RG3 is being plastered all over ESPN. Yes he is a great QB but let's talk about the big catches Pierre Garcon made. Let's talk about how the defense stopped Eli and Giants. Let's talk about how AWESOME of a job the Oline did at blocking the Giants and allowing Griffin & Morris to rush for so many yards.

Luck's team is 8-4 and the #1 wildcard team. You would think the way RG3 is on ESPN that the redskins are a top 3 team in the NFC. They don't even have a playoff spot right now, they are sitting on the outside. I wonder when Luck makes the playoffs will he get his shine.

Nope, all they will talk about is how RG3 carried his team nearly to a playoff berth and how they will be championship contenders next year.

Redskins have played on national TV two weeks in a row vs big divisional opponets with the world watching. RGiii played very well in those games. It's the way the media works, if the Detroit game was nationally televised with the world watching that phenomenal comeback you would hear people spamming all over the networks about Luck and the Colts, which are still getting decent media attention as it is anyways.

Andrew does not seek the camera. He is a team player. He knows that the games are harder than practice.

He is ...... mature.

RG3 plays in the most glamorous division in sports, the NFC East

Although the AFC South with such popular teams as the Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texas and Tennesee Titans is a close second /sarcasm

Also, RG3 plays in one of the premire football towns in the NFL

His team has beat 2 of the most popular teams and in the New Giants, one of the best teams in the NFL and they have won 3 divisonal games in a row.

Also, RG3 is just more marketable than Luck. If Luck was more marketable, Im sure he would be all over the place as well.

It is what it is.

I'm not a Luck fan. Nor am I Griffin fan. I'm a Colts fan. And an NFL fan.

It must be hard to cheer for the Colts then if you don't like Luck.

Normally a fan of a team is going to root for the guy leading said team. Especially a team that is 8-4.

It's pretty obvious to me who you truly are a fan of.

Redskins fans will always be for RG3 just like Colts fans will lean towards Luck. That will never change, even with a 1000 more posts, each making their own arguments with stat's, etc. Until that is accepted by both, this thread will continue on and on.....

RGIII is an exciting player but there are no long term prospects there. Luck is who you will still see dominating the NFL 10 and 15 years from now.

Flash in the pan.

RG3 has WAYYYYYYYYY too much talent as a passer and is wayyyy to smart to be a flash in the pan. This isnt Michael Vick lol

http://espn.go.com/n...i-make-big-leap

You mean the Mel Kiper that drooled all over Jimmy Clausen. LOL....Alll I know is Steve Young Troy Aikman Merrill Hodge Ron Jaworski guys that studied film and actually played at a high level some HOF'ers said RG3 is a superstar in this league and are amazed how good he is when they watch his film. Jimmy Johnson said he would take RG3 #1 overall right now out of any player in the league if he was starting a team now. heck if you want me to use * media people Wilbon said hes the most exciting player in the league and is an MVP candidate.

Although the AFC South with such popular teams as the Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texas and Tennesee Titans is a close second

Wait wait wait wait wait wait..........................................................

Your ridiculous accusations are crazy!

So let me get this, I can't believe it. You are saying the Jaguars aren't a popular team????!!!!!!

How dare you!

haha

I will tell you what would have made the Jags popular and that would've been if they acquired and started Tim Tebow.

You mean the Mel Kiper that drooled all over Jimmy Clausen. LOL....Alll I know is Steve Young Troy Aikman Merrill Hodge Ron Jaworski guys that studied film and actually played at a high level some HOF'ers said RG3 is a superstar in this league and are amazed how good he is when they watch his film. Jimmy Johnson said he would take RG3 #1 overall right now out of any player in the league if he was starting a team now. heck if you want me to use * media people Wilbon said hes the most exciting player in the league and is an MVP candidate.

Well, Jaworski said last night on ESPN that Luck is better than RG3 and should without doubt be ROTY. Take it all for what it is. all just a bunch of talking heads. Guarantee that if RG3 has a bad sophomore season like Cam Newton is this season, they will all jump off the bandwagon so fast their heads will spin. And please don't come back with the RG3 is better than Newton and he won't have a bad season next yr., because you don't know, I don't know and nobody knows. Luck could struggle next yr. too. Thats why I've said a dozen times or more that neither can be truly judged till after next season. IMO history is not on RG3's side, teams will learn how to defend him and he will either adjust or collapse on his face. Don't say you know he won't fall flat on his face either. Any of the rookie's could.

Well, Jaworski said last night on ESPN that Luck is better than RG3 and should without doubt be ROTY. Take it all for what it is. all just a bunch of talking heads. Guarantee that if RG3 has a bad sophomore season like Cam Newton is this season, they will all jump off the bandwagon so fast their heads will spin. And please don't come back with the RG3 is better than Newton and he won't have a bad season next yr., because you don't know, I don't know and nobody knows. Luck could struggle next yr. too. Thats why I've said a dozen times or more that neither can be truly judged till after next season. IMO history is not on RG3's side, teams will learn how to defend him and he will either adjust or collapse on his face. Don't say you know he won't fall flat on his face either. Any of the rookie's could.

Balzer I agree with everything you just said. Finally you said just like RG3 might have a sophmore slump anyone else including Luck or even Russel Wilson might have one as well. Luck is having a brilliant season but he is getting away with lots of picks and deservingly so because your team isn't the most talented and he throws the ball 50 times a game. But what if in the offseason they upgrade his weapons and he's still throwing tons of INT's? Will Colts fans worry he's a Brett Favre type gunslinger. Because like I said in past posts you CANNOT win in the playoffs if you turn over the ball. One more question if next season RG3 runs the same offense and its still super affective and he leads the Skins to the playoffs will the stigma of "GIMICKY" offense that teams will learn to stop go away? How long will it take to end that stigma 2 years 3 years 4 years?

Wait wait wait wait wait wait..........................................................

Your ridiculous accusations are crazy!

So let me get this, I can't believe it. You are saying the Jaguars aren't a popular team????!!!!!!

How dare you!

haha

I will tell you what would have made the Jags popular and that would've been if they acquired and started Tim Tebow.

Yea, but the Jags are stupid so...that team is bad lol

I don't know. It appears many of Griffin's (note the choice to not use the childish Stars Wars moniker) big plays result from horrific defensive breakdowns leaving gaping holes and wide-open receivers. Perhaps that's because he presents quite a challenge to the defense because of his running ability - darned if they do, darned if they don't.

I don't know. It appears many of Griffin's (note the choice to not use the childish Stars Wars moniker) big plays result from horrific defensive breakdowns leaving gaping holes and wide-open receivers. Perhaps that's because he presents quite a challenge to the defense because of his running ability - darned if they do, darned if they don't.

Actually, it comes from the defense biting on the play action.

Balzer I agree with everything you just said. Finally you said just like RG3 might have a sophmore slump anyone else including Luck or even Russel Wilson might have one as well. Luck is having a brilliant season but he is getting away with lots of picks and deservingly so because your team isn't the most talented and he throws the ball 50 times a game. But what if in the offseason they upgrade his weapons and he's still throwing tons of INT's? Will Colts fans worry he's a Brett Favre type gunslinger. Because like I said in past posts you CANNOT win in the playoffs if you turn over the ball. One more question if next season RG3 runs the same offense and its still super affective and he leads the Skins to the playoffs will the stigma of "GIMICKY" offense that teams will learn to stop go away? How long will it take to end that stigma 2 years 3 years 4 years?

Their O won't be gimicky when the pistol and designed read keep QB carries stop. He has 105 carries this year. 105. As a QB. Clearly many of those are scrambles, not pistol keep reads, but 105 carries from a NFL QB isn't normal. Newton running a strikingly similar offense has 95. Wilson at 66 is next. I'm ok not calling it gimicky, but when there are designed runs by a QB in the NFL, it isn't normal, the norm, how the vast majority do it. And that isn't because others can't, it's because teams actually want their QB on the field playing, not concussed or ligamentless after some hideous hit. The larger issue there is will the Skins make Cousins run that O if Griffin gets hurt? I doubt it. So then what? I'd suggest that someone with 160 carries a season in the NFL will get hurt at some point. There will be teams with RBs who won't have that many carries this season - Panthers, Saints, Arizona, possibly even the Colts if Brown takes carries away from Ballard down the stretch. The amount Griffin runs is as crazy as the number of passes the Colts have asked Luck to throw.

John Clayton writes in the ESPN power rankings and one of his articles on ESPN.com.

Andrew Luck might go down as the greatest rookie quarterback in NFL history. John Clayton

Offense: Andrew Luck likely locked up rookie of the year honors by leading the Colts back from a 12-point deficit to beat the Lions 35-33. Luck completed 24 of 54 passes for 391 yards and four touchdowns.

The media tide, which is very fickle, looks to be seeing who the hot hand is. They were sure it would be Griffin, until Luck turned in this latest performance. And because it was such a doosy, you are starting to see MVP articles for Luck, like the Adam whatshisname guy.

The media tide, which is very fickle, looks to be seeing who the hot hand is. They were sure it would be Griffin, until Luck turned in this latest performance. And because it was such a doosy, you are starting to see MVP articles for Luck, like the Adam whatshisname guy.

The Adam whatshisname guy also wrote this dumb article. It seems he has an agenda against RG3 for some reason http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059014/article/new-orleans-saints-will-pound-robert-griffin-iii-plus-upset-picks

Plus RG3 just locked up the NFL MVP because he's so magical when he goes to Wizards games they beat the Heat...hahahaha

The Adam whatshisname guy also wrote this dumb article. It seems he has an agenda against RG3 for some reason http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059014/article/new-orleans-saints-will-pound-robert-griffin-iii-plus-upset-picks

Plus RG3 just locked up the NFL MVP because he's so magical when he goes to Wizards games they beat the Heat...hahahaha

Well if that's the case you got me there. Cause I absolutely HATE the heat!!

Why is he more accurate? Shorter easier throws. Not a like for like comparison. Next year, teams will game plan better for Griffin, which will make it tougher. Well, that's the theory....

Via ESPN insider..

.RG3 has thrown a high share of short passes, with 153 of his 205 completions (74.6 percent) thrown fewer than 10 yards. But he's just a tree in an NFL forest of QBs throwing short passes. Consider that Tom Brady, with a passer rating of 105.2, is throwing short at a far higher rate. Brady has thrown fewer than 10 yards on a whopping 222 of his 308 completions entering Week 13, or 81 percent, far ahead of Griffin. Matt Ryan, with perhaps the NFL's best downfield options in Julio Jones and Roddy White (as well as Tony Gonzalez), throws short 73 percent of the time, essentially the same as Griffin. Peyton Manning (74.1), Rodgers (73.4) and even Joe Flacco (70 percent) are all thriving on the short ball at a rate virtually the same as RG3.

Then consider the "running QB" critique.

....So far in 2013, of RG3's league-leading 100 carries, a full 63 of them were designed runs. That means through 11 games, and 367 drop backs, Griffin has actually chosen to scramble only 37 times. According to Pro Football Focus, Griffin is pressured at a somewhat scary rate of 35.1 percent of drop backs thanks to Washington's offensive line. Think of it this way: RG3 has seen pressure at an almost identical rate as Luck, and has scrambled on average about one more time per game. (Again: with 4.41 speed.) Given his ridiculous talents as a runner, the stronger case to be made is that RG3 is actually showing restraint as a runner, not too much confidence in his legs. His Run EPA is lower than even Jay Cutler's.....

....The accuracy stands up under another level of scrutiny -- pressure. Against five or more rushers, RG3 has completed 67.4 percent of passes, a higher rate than the impossible-to-blitz Peyton Manning. His accuracy percentage under pressure is an obscene 81.9 percent, an NFL high....

.....According to PFF, RG3's accuracy percentage (which accounts for drops, throwaways, spikes, batted passes and passes where the QB is hit while throwing) is at an NFL-leading 80.5 percent. The lead itself is impressive, but to put that number in context, since PFF began tracking the stat in 2008, only Rodgers has a higher rate -- 80.6 percent. In other words, RG3 through 11 games is as accurate a passer as we've seen in the NFL over a five-year period when virtually every passing record has been torched. Among rookies in that time, Ryan has the best full-season mark, at 74.6 percent. How deterministic is that number? This season, the guys directly trailing RG3 are Rodgers, Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Matt Schaub and Brady. Pretty good company....

Robert Griffin III beats Luck in a majority of metrics that measure QB play. Luck is good and probably will be great but Robert will be better.

I suggest some people actually learn about the skins offense before you chalk it up to " college offense" .. That is a lazy argument. Redskins are running most of the Shanahan offense out of college formations like the pistol.

Listen, I know no matter what I say about Luck and the hype he received last season, that you are going to disagree. There are a few people here that are stuck on the hype that surrounded him and hold it against him to some extent, but there is no way that Luck's hype last yr. is anywhere even close to what RG3 is getting now and even back before the draft.

Well, I disagree, but frankly don't really care anymore. They hype around Luck all last year was out of control both in the media and on this message board. I firmly believe the reason you didn't notice it was just as bad is that you are such a big Luck fan. So all the hype and media attention didn't bother you. Now, the attention is on someone else that you don't care for and that's why that bothers you.

RG3 was the most talked about player about 2 weeks leading up to draft and it has exploded into full blown ridiculousness now. I haven't at anytime seen ESPN or NFL network running polls to get Luck into the probowl. Not one time have I seen them claim him to be the best rookie ever in the history of football.

Ok so here's a thought. Change the freaking channel. If you don't like what's being reported then don't watch it. And there's no reason to take out your frustration towards the media on people here on the forum. I do agree with you that there have been a couple of posters going over the top trying to ram RG3's greatness down our throats, but as I've tried to point out before, often times it's merely in response to the over the top and often times ill-informed criticisms that some of the homers on this site make about him. Bottom line, if people don't want the trolls here defending RG3, then people need to stop bashing RG3.

I know you will just come back with some remark about how I must be jealous or some other silly crack at me, but thats ok, I really do not care. Also I would just prefer Skip Bayless keep his ill informed, complete lack of football knowledge mouth quiet than say anything at all. I would like to watch ESPN for more than 5 minutes without hearing of how great RG3 is.

Again, so stop watching the shows that contain commentary by Bayless. It's really not that hard.

I find it funny that you try so hard to defend RG3 over Luck at every opportunity especially when it comes to my posts. Its pretty obvious to me(and a few others I think) that you have a special agenda to respond to my posts that I make about RG3 or Luck either one.

If I have ever defended RG3 it's because I think many of the criticisms and outlandish remarks about him from some of the people on this site are completely inaccurate, ill-informed, and often times just downright stupid. I do firmly believe people try to put him down to make them feel better about Luck. Everybody was SOOOOOOO sure that he was head and shoulders above all the rest but now it's being proven that he really isn't...which is what I believed all of last year. I never said he wasn't a good QB. I never said he wasn't a great QB. I never said he didn't have a ton of potential. What I did say was that I had some reservations about him because of things that I hadn't personally seen from him and I also never got that same feeling that he was so much better than all the rest. Now we have Tannehill playing well, Weeden playing well considering the lack of talent on that team and RG3 is playing extremely well, much better than I thought he'd be playing this early. So yeah I do believe that a great deal of the RG3 bashing comes from insecurity.

And though you think I am trying to defend RG3 over Luck, let me clear something up....I believe right now and have always believed since I started watching them both that Luck is the better QB of the two. I don't think he's vastly superior but I do think he is the better QB. I just don't think a lot of the criticisms from several people on here in regards to RG3 are fair or accurate.

I'm not a basher of either but to totally disregard all of the hype that Andrew Luck has been getting since 2010 is crazy. Everything college football was Andrew Luck for 2 straight years. Analyst slobbered over him saying he is the greatest prospect since Elway. And all you heard about before the draft was Andrew Luck. I don't see how anyone looking at TV can try to disregard that fact. Like guy said earlier, nobody thought Luck was overhyped when it was all Andrew Luck, all the time. Matter of fact, I remember everybody blasting Merrill Hodge (analyst and fans) because he said he would take Griffin first, holding on to the Luck hype. I don't know about you personally, but it is looking like a huge bowl of hypocrisy. "Hype is ok as long as its our guy." I mean, Griffin is getting love from the media but who was against it when analyst were dang near prepping Luck for Canton? I'm just saying.

Agreed. I remember all the flack against Merrill, and also towards Phil Simms as well after he made the comment about not having seen Luck make many big time throws. And for the record, yes I heard Simms say he was wrong, but then he (correctly) rephrased and said he simply hadn't seen those big time throws at the time he made that statement, but now he's seeing those types of throws from Luck. I see nothing wrong with the statement Simms made back when he made it but so many people on this board talked about how stupid he was for making such a blasphemous comment about Andrew Luck. Simms was just making an honest comment about what he had seen personally from Luck and he was blasted for it.

Give it time. They'll get sick of Rg3 eventually and then they'll need their next "hot topic". I'm sure it'll be Wilson next. :)

Personally, I would prefer if Luck made OROY and Griffin just does his thing, takes his team deep into the playoffs and surprise the heck out of a team in the Superbowl...ala Rothlisberger's rookie year.

That simple.

Forget about the hype and holler. Just give me the wins baby.