Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think B Arians will be the hot name for a HC job next season. So...

bluephantom87

I don't think Arians will leave after this yr. simply because I don't really think any teams will call him for a HC gig. Most teams want a younger guy that can potentially grow with the team and not an older guy that may retire in a few yrs.. If there were a team that offered him a HC job, I don't think there is any way on earth Clyde would get another shot at OC. He showed absolutely no creativity at all last yr. and never even made the slightest of adjustments for 3 different QB's that couldn't even dream of running a Manning style offense.

Bet when the season is over Andy Reid might be licking his chops hoping Bruce moves on to a hc position somewhere because most head coaches end up as coordinators again if they lose their jobs and aren't fortunate enough to grab the top spot immediately. So with Grigs here and a franchise qb in Luck it might not be a bad spot for Andy if the cards fall into place.

2) because cancer isn't a death sentense...and for people to keep mentioning "he might not be back" is in poor taste.

It is kind of morbid to talk about, but it is a realistic possibility. It's just a possibility most of us are ignoring because we are hoping with all of our hearts that he makes a full recovery and rejoins our team.

Andy Reid is going to have a HC gig somewhere, he is too good to not have one. If for some reason Arians does get a HC job, which I dont see happening. I'd like to get someone with experience in coaching QBs. If not then Earnest Byner seems like a good candidate, his RBs are always producing under him.

It is kind of morbid to talk about, but it is a realistic possibility. It's just a possibility most of us are ignoring because we are hoping with all of our hearts that he makes a full recovery and rejoins our team.

his type of cancer is very treatable when caught early..and they caught it early...and he is ahead of schedule and looking pretty well for a guy who is going thru chemo. i see his return as almost a sure thing

Bet when the season is over Andy Reid might be licking his chops hoping Bruce moves on to a hc position somewhere because most head coaches end up as coordinators again if they lose their jobs and aren't fortunate enough to grab the top spot immediately. So with Grigs here and a franchise qb in Luck it might not be a bad spot for Andy if the cards fall into place.

there is a 0% chance andy reid takes a coordinator job. if i was him i would take a year off.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/44467/focused-arians-hopes-for-head-coach-shot

Will the Colts' offensive coordinator and interim head coach, who's filling in for Chuck Pagano, be in line for a head-coaching job when the season ends? Does he want to be?

“You always do,” he told Tennessee reporters on a conference call today. “I mean, if you’re coaching, that’s one of your goals. As long as you in are in the business. When I was a young assistant in college, I wanted to be a head coach in college. And every since I’ve been in the NFL I’d love to have had a chance.

“This might be my only chance and I’ve really had a great time with it. But I can’t wait for Chuck to get healthy and to get back."

Would Arians expect a team looking for a quarterback-developing head coach to call him? Has he earned that?

"Well I don’t know," he said. "That’s up to the owners and the general managers at this point to decide what they are looking for. I’m not going to hold my breath at my age and where I am at in my career. I’d love to have the opportunity to talk to one, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m cool with it.”

Agreed. But, if it were me, I would be greedy...I want more than 1 ring. Yes, you are correct Superman. That's not my decision to make. The ball is literally in Bruce's court now...

No one remembers the coordinatos. The head coach is the one with the glory. Most people don't mention Charlie weiss and Romeo crennel when talking about the patriots super bowls. Plus I'm sure he would get a hefty pay raise. I hope he stays though

No one remembers the coordinatos. The head coach is the one with the glory. Most people don't mention Charlie weiss and Romeo crennel when talking about the patriots super bowls. Plus I'm sure he would get a hefty pay raise. I hope he stays though

True jvan1973, I can't argue with your sound point. However, sometimes it's better to be a BIG fish in a small pond than a minnow in the ocean. My point is some coaches/coordinators are perfectly content to stay with a winning program and still win Lombardi trophies & division titles in a secondary role. Starting all over in a new city and installing a new program & mindset is not always a spectacular thing to do when a coordinator now HC is 60 year etc. etc. especially if you now have strong family roots in Indianapolis too.

True jvan1973, I can't argue with your sound point. However, sometimes it's better to be a BIG fish in a small pond than a minnow in the ocean. My point is some coaches/coordinators are perfectly content to stay with a winning program and still win Lombardi trophies & division titles in a secondary role. Starting all over in a new city and installing a new program & mindset is not always a spectacular thing to do when a coordinator now HC is 60 year etc. etc. especially if you now have strong family roots in Indianapolis too.

All that is true. I just posted the article because Arians confirmed that he would at least take interest seriously. Who knows what would happen after that...

I hope the door hits him on the way out. I completely understand the Steelers frustrations with the guy and its quite obvious why he was shown the door there. A WCO especially with the TE's we have now would do Luck wonders. I would have no doubts the guy could beat Drew Brees completion percentage record and average ~30 points with this offense.

This offense could be so much better than 22 points per game.

I hope the door hits him on the way out. I completely understand the Steelers frustrations with the guy and its quite obvious why he was shown the door there. A WCO especially with the TE's we have now would do Luck wonders. I would have no doubts the guy could beat Drew Brees completion percentage record and average ~30 points with this offense.

This offense could be so much better than 22 points per game.

Doesn't even have to be a WCO. If he would simply add more checkdowns to his route combinations, this offense could thrive. I wouldn't mind keeping the offense, just ditch him as a play-caller. He's way too obsessed with 5-wide and vertical routes. I'm sure he'd send the 5 linemen out on go routes too, if he could.

Doesn't even have to be a WCO. If he would simply add more checkdowns to his route combinations, this offense could thrive. I wouldn't mind keeping the offense, just ditch him as a play-caller. He's way too obsessed with 5-wide and vertical routes. I'm sure he'd send the 5 linemen out on go routes too, if he could.

I couldn't agree more. So many elite QB's make a living biting off chunks of yardage to march down the field. I believe with some more check down routes, we wont have so many stalled drives earlier in games.

haha true.. I mentioned in another post that if we did upgrade our O-line next year he'd just want to throw it more with even longer routes we would be even worse off than this year.

I just think a more simplistic approach to the game makes more sense and would mask quite a few deficiencies on our O-line. Let alone the fact we don't run enough to help take pressure off the O-line. I mean seriously the first 7 plays in the Jacksonville game a couple Thursdays ago were pass plays and I believe 3 or 4 of them were play action.. wth!?! How can you believe that you could possibly fool a defense with play action 1 time let alone 3 or 4 when you haven't even attempted a running play.

The guy absolutely amazes me sometimes with how he gets a job..

Wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm often frustrated by his playcalling, though he's done a fantastic job as interim HC.

There are other candidates, too. Norv Turner should never get another HC job so he'd be a realistic target, David Shaw is another I'd like (just to keep robbing the Cardinal)...

Arians would never leave this team. This is his last stop. He will retire before going anywhere else. Irsay is going to give him a HUGE raise. Enough to where he can make it rain with the players. Just dont ever tell me he will end up with :flyingelvis:

It would take less than a handful of games of Brady constantly getting hit or sacked before he would be asking for Arians head. However, as a Colts fan I would love to see it.

It would take less than a handful of games of Brady constantly getting hit or sacked before he would be asking for Arians head. However, as a Colts fan I would love to see it.

I can tell you don't like the guy. By the way, what was the inside word as to why he left Pittsburgh? Did he not get along with Tomlin? Or was his play calling bad or something?

Checkdowns and quick hitters, and some "Indy" routes (we ran a few of these in the Lions game, which was encouraging). Less empty backfield in the red zone, involve the backs in the passing game a little more.

We ran something that looked like this last week, and it was pretty effective.

1-Quick-Slant.png

This is called Levels, and it's probably my favorite one:

3-Levels.png

http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense

Like you, I don't dislike the offense. It has a lot of explosive potential, and we have some fast receivers. But the route combinations too often develop way down the field, they require the quarterback to hold the ball too long, and the backs are rarely considered. With some tweaks, I think I'd love this offense.

Almost blew orange out my nose I laughed so hard with that statement, cause its true :funny::lol:haha

Checkdowns and quick hitters, and some "Indy" routes (we ran a few of these in the Lions game, which was encouraging). Less empty backfield in the red zone, involve the backs in the passing game a little more.

We ran something that looked like this last week, and it was pretty effective.

1-Quick-Slant.png

This is called Levels, and it's probably my favorite one:

3-Levels.png

http://smartfootball...s-colts-offense

Like you, I don't dislike the offense. It has a lot of explosive potential, and we have some fast receivers. But the route combinations too often develop way down the field, they require the quarterback to hold the ball too long, and the backs are rarely considered. With some tweaks, I think I'd love this offense.

Yeah, I miss levels, as well. In some ways, I wish Clyde was allowed some input into the scheme, being that he's familiar with the Manning offense concepts. Having a "short-to-intermediate passing coordinator" or a "ground game coordinator" would actually help Arians quite a bit, but he doesn't strike me as the type of coach to allow anyone to alter his scheme, whatsoever

Andy Reid will be a head coach again before he winds up as a coordinator.

I can tell you don't like the guy. By the way, what was the inside word as to why he left Pittsburgh? Did he not get along with Tomlin? Or was his play calling bad or something?

The Steelers were not happy with their offense under Arians. His exit was closer to a firing than a retirement.

He's 60 years old. This offseason would probably be his last -- and definitely his best -- chance at a head coaching gig.

If -- IF -- he wants it, and IF it's offered to him, I doubt he'd turn the opportunity down in the name of trying again in two or three years.

Cough Cough 60 how old is Coughlin ?

Cough Cough 60 how old is Coughlin ?

Coughlin is 66. He was 58 when he was hired by the Giants. But his first NFL head coaching job came in 1996 with the Jaguars, and he was 50 then. Plus, he had been a collegiate head coach twice before that, most recently at Boston College. He didn't get his first look when he was 60 years old.

Beyond that, there's been a movement in the NFL recently toward younger guys for head coaching jobs.

• 5 weeks later...

On a slightly different note, what is the status of Bruce Arians health wise right now? Is he okay? I pretty much avoid all media coverage on TV after the games are over until Monday. Did he catch the flu? Was it a heart attack? 

I just want to know that Bruce is going to make it & be fine I guess. Thanks.

Andy Reid will be a head coach again before he winds up as a coordinator.

The Steelers were not happy with their offense under Arians. His exit was closer to a firing than a retirement.

He finished his contract with back to back 12-4 seasons, call plays in two Super Bowls, win one of them.  I Hope we can be as unhappy here about that record as they were in Steel country. Players, especially Ben Roethlisburger, liked the guy and respected him very much.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681828/spaeth-arians-helps-qbs-succeed

Arians wanted to stay in Piitsburgh, but Rooney decline to offer a contract when Arians had run out.  Definitely a force out, (not really a firing), by Rooney.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681828/spaeth-arians-helps-qbs-succeed

Cant see Arians staying. Wont be upset if he does and wont be upset if he leaves. Dont get me wrong. I think Arians did a fine job with this team this year. We would not have won 11 games without him doing a heck of a job filling in for Pagano.

I do think Arians' offense with a good O-line and stable of WRs could be really tough to stop with a talent like Luck slinging it around. But I do think its going to be alot harder to assemble that type of talent quickly. We have alot of pieces to find to get there.

Id like to see a more "west coast" style offense. More horizontal shorter passing game with the vertical and deeper intermediate passes sprinkled in. Obviously id like to see a better running game but that will come with a better O-line either way. I think the commitment to the running game was mostly there this year.