Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think B Arians will be the hot name for a HC job next season. So...

bluephantom87

If we happen to lose Bruce next season ( I hope not ) will Clyde be named the oc again? Wasn't a fan of Clyde C the first time. Putting Reggie in motion has done wonders for his game this year. That is what Clyde lacked; creativity. Once the goat went down Clyde was exposed with that lackluster playcalling. I hope Irsay learned from the last go round and Clyde WON'T be the next man up... again! Thoughts?

If we happen to lose Bruce next season ( I hope not ) will Clyde be named the oc again? Wasn't a fan of Clyde C the first time. Putting Reggie in motion has done wonders for his game this year. That is what Clyde lacked; creativity. Once the goat went down Clyde was exposed with that lackluster playcalling. I hope Irsay learned from the last go round and Clyde WON'T be the next man up... again! Thoughts?

I don't think that's really fair to place all of last year's failures on Clyde. Polian made him start Painter most of the season. Clyde only maintained the offense that was installed years before he even became the coordinator. I will fault him some for not being able to reinvent an offense that catered to the strength's of his personnel, but on the same token, his starting QB was Curtis Painter. Bill Walsh wouldn't have been able to make our offense look respectable last year with Painter starting, so cut Clyde a little slack.

I honestly don't think the offense would fall off at all if Clyde took over. Arians isn't much to write home about as a coordinator himself. At the very least, Clyde probably wouldn't be as obsessed with the vertical game as Arians is, currently. That is a major plus, in my book

Yep Arians was on PTI yesterday and was asked about past Head Coaching job offers. B.A. said after each Superbowl win with the Steelers he thought he would get some offers, but no one called. So he thought his chance had passed. He was asked if he thinks some one will call after this year. He said he doesn't care. He has satified his HC ambitions this year.

In another interview before Thanksgiving he was asked what he was thankful for this year. He said the Steelers for not resigning him. He fills like he was ment to be in Indy this year. I'm glad he's here to.

Read, heard several times that Roethlisberger begged him for the last few years to come back. Sounded like he was ready to hang it up.

Who knows if he would rather be a head coach than an OC, or if this move to the Colts makes him happy.

I am a bit concerned with all these deep passes he calls.

Then again he has two SB Rings lately, and Belichick hasn`t won one since he was caught and since they quit letting the CB`s HOLD all the time.

Just because Arians said that doesn't make it true. Im sure he is being professional, and not wanting to be a distraction during this trying time with Chuck Pagano issues.

I certainly doubt that he'd be talking about how eager he would be to leave if he were offered a top job.

At the same time, he's been pretty effusive about how happy he is in Indianapolis. Seems much more than the token "I'm happy where I'm at" kind of response, and Arians is a really sincere kind of guy. I think we can take him at his word that he wants to be here.

Doesn't mean the right offer wouldn't change his mind, and I'm kind of hoping he gets it. I'd be happy for him to finally be a head coach, and I'd hope we could graduate to a more efficient offense early in Luck's career. But I would be nervous that Christensen would be promoted back to the OC job, and I'd rather keep Arians.

Unlike many, id love to have arians for the long haul...but if he were to leave, i know it would be a lateral move for him bug carmichael from thje saints id like to have...and why would he come? to have HIS offense.

When people talk about the saints offense, they think of Payton, not Pete. it may be his shot to get recognized.

a dark horse...David shaw or Jason garret ;)

Unlike many, id love to have arians for the long haul...but if he were to leave, i know it would be a lateral move for him bug carmichael from thje saints id like to have...and why would he come? to have HIS offense.

When people talk about the saints offense, they think of Payton, not Pete. it may be his shot to get recognized.

a dark horse...David shaw or Jason garret ;)

No thanks on Carmichael. I'd like to see him go prove himself for someone else, not us. I don't believe in him right now, and the Saints didn't give him a vote of confidence with their coaching carousel this season.

I'd also pass on Jason Garrett. I hate his offense. Too much cuteness and nonsense, a lot like Brian Schottenheimer when he was with the Jets.

I'd take David Shaw, but I think another year or two with the Cardinal performing at such a high level and he'll get a head coaching gig in the NFL, if he wants it. I doubt he leaves now to be a coordinator.

I'm in the camp that says Arians was being polite and diplomatic and did not want to stir things up now by talking about a HC position. Keep the focus on the here and the now.

If he gets an interview, he'll talk to a team. If he's offered a HC job, I'd expect he'd take it.

If he left, I'd be surprised if Christensen were elevated back to OC. Not shocked, but surprised. I'd hope for someone like Norv Turner. Terrible as a head coach. outstanding as a coordinator. I'm sure there would be other candidates as well.

Having a QB like Andrew Luck is going to make some people seriously want to be the Colts OC if/when it comes open.

Seriously.

I certainly doubt that he'd be talking about how eager he would be to leave if he were offered a top job.

At the same time, he's been pretty effusive about how happy he is in Indianapolis. Seems much more than the token "I'm happy where I'm at" kind of response, and Arians is a really sincere kind of guy. I think we can take him at his word that he wants to be here.

Doesn't mean the right offer wouldn't change his mind, and I'm kind of hoping he gets it. I'd be happy for him to finally be a head coach, and I'd hope we could graduate to a more efficient offense early in Luck's career. But I would be nervous that Christensen would be promoted back to the OC job, and I'd rather keep Arians.

Nice reply Superman! If I were sitting in Arians shoes, the offers to coach can roll in, but I stay firmly planted in Indy because Andrew Luck is the real deal, quality pieces are being assembled around him, fix the o-line, & when we make our SB run in 2-3 years Arians head coaching stock will rise dramatically once the Colts hoist the Vince Lombardi trophy. Naturally, I can't guarantee a Championship. However, I feel confident that once we enter the Playoffs good things will undoubtedly unfold.

Nice reply Superman! If I were sitting in Arians shoes, the offers to coach can roll in, but I stay firmly planted in Indy because Andrew Luck is the real deal, quality pieces are being assembled around him, fix the o-line, & when we make our SB run in 2-3 years Arians head coaching stock will rise dramatically once the Colts hoist the Vince Lombardi trophy. Naturally, I can't guarantee a Championship. However, I feel confident that once we enter the Playoffs good things will undoubtedly unfold.

He's 60 years old. This offseason would probably be his last -- and definitely his best -- chance at a head coaching gig.

If -- IF -- he wants it, and IF it's offered to him, I doubt he'd turn the opportunity down in the name of trying again in two or three years.

I'm in the camp that says Arians was being polite and diplomatic and did not want to stir things up now by talking about a HC position. Keep the focus on the here and the now.

If he gets an interview, he'll talk to a team. If he's offered a HC job, I'd expect he'd take it.

If he left, I'd be surprised if Christensen were elevated back to OC. Not shocked, but surprised. I'd hope for someone like Norv Turner. Terrible as a head coach. outstanding as a coordinator. I'm sure there would be other candidates as well.

Having a QB like Andrew Luck is going to make some people seriously want to be the Colts OC if/when it comes open.

Seriously.

I think he was being sincere when he said he wants to stay, but I don't think that means he won't seriously consider leaving if the opportunity arises.

I could see him turning down a bad job, like Cleveland (that division is impossible to win in, and the Browns aren't a very attractive destination) or even San Diego (assuming AJ Smith is still there, and he might not be). He'd probably be more likely to take the Eagles job, and I think Grigson might be able to help him out in that regard.

When you say you'd like someone "like" Norv Turner, I'll take that literally. Someone "like" Norv Turner would be pretty good, so long as it's not the real Norv Turner. You're right that he's been a much better coordinator than a head coach, but I tend to think that the game has passed him up at this point. More than that, I think we could do better. Like you say, a vacancy at offensive coordinator probably wouldn't be difficult for us to fill, given the circumstances.

I mentioned Marc Trestman in another thread. Probably won't happen, but he's on my list.

He's 60 years old. This offseason would probably be his last -- and definitely his best -- chance at a head coaching gig.

If -- IF -- he wants it, and IF it's offered to him, I doubt he'd turn the opportunity down in the name of trying again in two or three years.

Okay sure, Arians age is a factor. However, at the end of the day, and yes this is a bit presumptuous on my part since I am not Bruce himself, I would have statistically a better shot at winning a SB ring staying put in INDY vs relocating to a new city and starting over with different player personnel on the field. Yes, I know Arians won a ring with the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII February 1, 2009 vs the AZ Cardinals. it just depends on his overall drive and personality traits I guess. I stay with the winning QB Luck at my disposal as OC.

Okay sure, Arians age is a factor. However, at the end of the day, & yes this is a bit presumptuous on my part since I am not Bruce himself, I would have statistically a better shot at winning a SB ring staying put in INDY vs relocating to a new city & starting over with different player personnel on the field. It just depends on his overall drive & personality traits I guess. I stay with the winning QB Luck at my disposal as OC.

Maybe. But he has a ring as the Steelers OC, and another as their WR coach. If he actually wants a chance as a head coach, this is probably going to be his best chance to actually get the job.

The decision whether to stay with Luck or not doesn't take into consideration his possible ambition to have the top job. If he really does want it, this is the time to go for it.

Maybe. But he has a ring as the Steelers OC, and another as their WR coach. If he actually wants a chance as a head coach, this is probably going to be his best chance to actually get the job.

The decision whether to stay with Luck or not doesn't take into consideration his possible ambition to have the top job. If he really does want it, this is the time to go for it.

Yes Superman, I am aware that Arians already has SB hardware on his finger in Pittsburgh, but the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. You don't deviate from the easiest course to win another Vince Lombardi Championship.

Yes, I know that Arians won a ring with the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII February 1, 2009 vs the AZ Cardinals. Professional sports is all about winning Championships & Lombardi Trophies secure and cement legacies.

In the words of Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, every NFL player/coach is trying to win "my precious" VLT...

Yes Superman, I am aware that Arians already has SB hardware on his finger in Pittsburgh, but the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. You don't deviate from the easiest course to another Vince Lombardi Championship.

Yes, I know Arians won a ring with the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII February 1, 2009 vs the AZ Cardinals. Professional sports is all about winning Championships & Lombardi Championships secure and cement legacies.

I think we understand each other. I'm just saying there's a difference between winning a ring as a coordinator and having a chance to build your own program as a head coach. He's already done one, and has never had the opportunity to do the other. Either way it goes, I'm sure he'll do what makes him the most happy.

I think we understand each other. I'm just saying there's a difference between winning a ring as a coordinator and having a chance to build your own program as a head coach. He's already done one, and has never had the opportunity to do the other. Either way it goes, I'm sure he'll do what makes him the most happy.

Agreed. But, if it were me, I would be greedy...I want more than 1 ring. Yes, you are correct Superman. That's not my decision to make. The ball is literally in Bruce's court now...

i dont think bruce would want to halt luck's progress like that. having to learn mutilpe offenses takes a bad toll on a qb ala bradford and alex smith

Come on now...Arians isn't going to make any decisions about his own future based on what's best for Andrew Luck. ;)

I don't think that's really fair to place all of last year's failures on Clyde. Polian made him start Painter most of the season. Clyde only maintained the offense that was installed years before he even became the coordinator. I will fault him some for not being able to reinvent an offense that catered to the strength's of his personnel, but on the same token, his starting QB was Curtis Painter. Bill Walsh wouldn't have been able to make our offense look respectable last year with Painter starting, so cut Clyde a little slack.

I honestly don't think the offense would fall off at all if Clyde took over. Arians isn't much to write home about as a coordinator himself. At the very least, Clyde probably wouldn't be as obsessed with the vertical game as Arians is, currently. That is a major plus, in my book

And I"m on the opposite side of he fence and think it's unfair to blame Painter because he was being asked to run the Manning offense. Clyde and Caldwell should have altered the offense long before they did. The offense didn't really change until they finally made Dan O the starter. IMO that's a total fail by the coaching staff. I was upset that Clyde was kept around this year. IMO he should have been fired with all the other coaches from the previous regime and honestly I hope he is gone after this season.

And I"m on the opposite side of he fence and think it's unfair to blame Painter because he was being asked to run the Manning offense. Clyde and Caldwell should have altered the offense long before they did. The offense didn't really change until they finally made Dan O the starter. IMO that's a total fail by the coaching staff. I was upset that Clyde was kept around this year. IMO he should have been fired with all the other coaches from the previous regime and honestly I hope he is gone after this season.

We all know the entire coaching staff failed as a whole last year. I'm not trying to excuse Clyde from that completely. I'm saying that I don't think we've really got a chance to see what he's capable of as a coordinator, given the circumstances. I blame the Polian's more than anyone for last season. They didn't set the players or the coaches up to be successful at all if Manning went down. I'm not entirely sure the decision to stick with the Manning offense last year was Clyde's call. At least he shifted the offense more towards the run when Dan O was inserted as starter. The Arians approach would be to stick to the script, regardless of results. That's why we're currently trying to throw 40 yard bombs without a pocket for Luck to stand in.

I think he will be gone this year, I also think he was brought here as more of a QB Coach for Luck more then anything else

Ummmm, I think it's pretty obvious he was brought in to call the plays and build a new offensive system, and as part of that develop Luck. Pagano's lack of experience basically made him the offensive HC prior to the current situation....much more than primarily being a QB coach.

Also, I've heard BA say that play calling is what he enjoys the most and he wouldn't be a HC without calling plays...not that this rules out him taking a HC job but it shows where his passion is.

This thought comes up every other week..

1.) Why would Bruce A. want to leave a team with Andrew Luck....?

2.) How do you know Chuck Pagano is ever coming back or that he wont relapse?

I see no chance that Bruce A isnt in Indy next season../.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want CC to even be an option as oc again is why I wanted him gone with the rest of the previous staff. Nice guy but Iike Caldwell was in over his head when the goat went down. Like Superman stated in an earlier post I would like to see Marc Trestman IF we were to lose Bruce (hope not) but also keep in mind Andy Reid as a darkhorse because of his relationship with Grigs. Andy seems to be on the outs in Philly and loves having a big time qb to groom.

This thought comes up every other week..

1.) Why would Bruce A. want to leave a team with Andrew Luck....?

2.) How do you know Chuck Pagano is ever coming back or that he wont relapse?

I see no chance that Bruce A isnt in Indy next season../.

2) because cancer isn't a death sentense...and for people to keep mentioning "he might not be back" is in poor taste.