Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade up for Star

No, on every level you can think of.... and I'm a fan of Star...

First, we don't have the resources or the means...

Second, even if we did, you don't want to trade up for a position like NT when you have so many other pressing needs on the team. And we have lots and lots of needs.

Third, Star is great against the run, but not great at rushing the QB. You don't want to trade up to get someone great against the run and OK at rushing the passer. Not in today's pass-happy NFL. It's a waste.

Fourth, NT is a position where the player is getting beat up all the time.... dangerous to waste a high pick on him.

Fifth.... a team like the Ravens could do it, because (A) Hloti Ngata can play multiple positions on the line, but, more importantly (B) they didn't have nearly as many needs as the Colts do.... they could afford a 'luxury' type pick. We can't.

Hope that lays out my reasons well enough....

New Colts fan just to the fact about star rushing the passer. He most certianly pressures Qbs and collapes the pocket alot. I dont know what you have been seeing. But he cetianly puts pressure on the QB. Hes off the line a half second before anyone else. But we dont need to trade up for him we need alot more than just him to sacrifice all the pics wed have to give. I agree with ya there.

Should we and do we have the means to trade up for Star loutelie (I have no desire to find how to spell his last name). Clearly the best DE/NT in the draft. He could be our Ngata. What would it cost? Should we do it?

No not worth anything we'd have to give up for it. Most pundits are putting the D-line as the deepest position in the upcoming draft meaning late 1st round-early 2nd round guys may very well be anchoring defenses for years to come. We can give up nothing and still pick up a franchise DT or DE with a high ceiling. Either way, this team has enough needs that it would be very hard to not find a big upgrade wherever we pick. :P There's almost certainly going to be a talented DT, DE, OG, S, OLB, there.

No, on every level you can think of.... and I'm a fan of Star...

First, we don't have the resources or the means...

Second, even if we did, you don't want to trade up for a position like NT when you have so many other pressing needs on the team. And we have lots and lots of needs.

Third, Star is great against the run, but not great at rushing the QB. You don't want to trade up to get someone great against the run and OK at rushing the passer. Not in today's pass-happy NFL. It's a waste.

Fourth, NT is a position where the player is getting beat up all the time.... dangerous to waste a high pick on him.

Fifth.... a team like the Ravens could do it, because (A) Hloti Ngata can play multiple positions on the line, but, more importantly (B) they didn't have nearly as many needs as the Colts do.... they could afford a 'luxury' type pick. We can't.

Hope that lays out my reasons well enough....

he would be a DE not a NT and he has 5 sacks

Star

Star has provided much better pass rush compared to his previous years at Utah, Im sure he would be a DE in our 3-4 and that he could do it but Im also sure that Fili Moala can do it as well, We certainly do need another 3-4 DE I am just not sure we need to give up on Moala because he has done pretty decent this year for playing in this 3-4 for the first time Im thinking draft Margus Hunt at 3-4 DE in the middle rounds and let him compete with Moala and see what happens. We have other huge needs right now in my opinion that can be addressed first such as OLB, Tackle and if Castonzo's multiple awards worthy talent at LT dont show up soon then we will need to move him to RT and draft or franchise LT, Guard, Corner, Safety and I am going to even throw Center in there now