Photo

Lincoln

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 BNS

BNS
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

I plan to see this movie this weekend. Have any of you seen it already? If so, can you provide some feedback? I've heard it's fantastic and Daniel Day Lewis portrays Lincoln very well.

I'm a Civil War era history buff, so I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Thanks.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Indyfan4life

Indyfan4life

King Optimistic

• 1346 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

The Civil War was a incredibly boring topic to me in US History. I am however looking forward to seeing this movie.

#3 Nadine

Nadine

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 7967 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

my sister saw it and loved it. We plan on seeing it as a family over the holidays.
The previews I've seen for it are compelling

We went to the Lincoln museum in Springfield Illinois a couple of summers ago and if you are a lincoln buff you should go. Made that period of time come alive for me

If we think politics are nasty now, they are nothing compared to how they were then

IMPORTANT GAME DAY POSTING: On Game days, you can post about the game in the GAME DAY FORUM http://forums.colts....e/game_day.html or in the chat room Game talk in the Colts Forum will be locked during the game. Post game discussion threads: You can create them, please have a clear title. redundant threads will be merged or locked Let's keep this joint organized

#4 BNS

BNS
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've always wanted to visit Springfield, IL and plan do to so soon.

#5 Let there be Luck

Let there be Luck
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I went to see it on Saturday. Great movie that I have seen in years. I never heard a bad thing about this movie.

#6 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12817 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Great post, Barry! I think we are seeing it this weekend as well. I had not seen Gettysburg, and plan to watch it too!!! Enjoy your day at the movies!!!! :)

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

#7 Nadine

Nadine

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 7967 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I've always wanted to visit Springfield, IL and plan do to so soon.

My husband knows someone who volunteers there and he was supposed to get us into the Presidential Library to see the Emancipation Proclamation but, we couldn't get in. I forget why.

I guess they normally only let scholars into the presidential library part.

We went on a Sunday and I tell you that part of springfield is shut down except for the libary. We had a hard time finding a place to have lunch

If you go, go on a weekday. Maybe saturday is better.

IMPORTANT GAME DAY POSTING: On Game days, you can post about the game in the GAME DAY FORUM http://forums.colts....e/game_day.html or in the chat room Game talk in the Colts Forum will be locked during the game. Post game discussion threads: You can create them, please have a clear title. redundant threads will be merged or locked Let's keep this joint organized

#8 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6750 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

#9 BNS

BNS
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Saw the movie on Saturday and it was impressive!! Daniel Day-Lewis was phenomenal!!

#10 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12817 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Saw the movie on Saturday and it was impressive!! Daniel Day-Lewis was phenomenal!!

I also saw the movie on Saturday and was mesmerized by the precise historical references and the likeness of the known Lincoln 'wit.' As Barry says, Daniel Day Lewis was truly "phenomenal," and Tommy Jones as Thaddeus Stephens was breathtaking at times....an awesome movie. 2 thumbs up :thmup: :thmup:

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

#11 Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk
  • 3917 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

My favorite President,wish we had some like him in this present age.I too am a Civil War and Native American history buff.I love these actors and cant wait to see it :thmsup:

#12 jahsoul

jahsoul
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm on the fence about this one. The previews look awesome but I have a gut feeling it will not give an accurate view of Lincoln regarding the Civil War and slavery. *shrugs*
*believes in the neck beard*

#13 BNS

BNS
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'm on the fence about this one. The previews look awesome but I have a gut feeling it will not give an accurate view of Lincoln regarding the Civil War and slavery. *shrugs*

I suggest you go see it and then decide if it's accurate or not.

#14 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12817 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I agree with Barry. If on said "fence," go see the movie. I feel that it shows history solidly. I wondered how a president could be so focused on eliminating something so many people believed in no matter how sad, cruel and degrading to a human being.

I have been reading more about it, and the popularity of Abraham Lincoln was amazing (as the movie represents) yet so many were still against the 13th Amendment. I loved this excerpt:

Much of Mr. Lincoln's actions regarding emancipation were dictated by timing. Illinois attorney Leonard Swett said he spoke to President Lincoln in October 1863 about a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery: "I told him ...I believed the result of this war would be the extermination of slavery; that Congress would pass the resolution; and that it was proper at that time to be done. I told him if he took that stand, it was an outside position and no one could maintain himself upon any measure more radical, and if failed to take the positions, his rivals would. Turning to me suddenly he said, 'Is not that question doing well enough now?' I replied that it was. 'Well', said he, 'I have never done an official act with a view to promote my own personal aggrandizement, and I don't like to begin now, I can see that time coming; whoever can wait for it, will see it — whoever stands in its way, will be run over by it.' .....from:

Douglas L. Wilson and Rodney O. Davis, editor, Herndon's Informants: Letters, Interviews and Statements about Abraham Lincoln"

Not everyone liked Lincoln for sure just as not everyone likes a certain Democrat or Republican today. If you go, I hope you enjoy the movie. The acting was fantastic, and the use of 'operatives' to get the 13th Amendment to fruition was intriguing and priceless.

Edited by BrentMc11, 05 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

#15 jahsoul

jahsoul
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I agree with Barry. If on said "fence," go see the movie. I feel that it shows history solidly. I wondered how a president could be so focused on eliminating something so many people believed in no matter how sad, cruel and degrading to a human being.

I have been reading more about it, and the popularity of Abraham Lincoln was amazing (as the movie represents) yet so many were still against the 13th Amendment. I loved this excerpt:

Much of Mr. Lincoln's actions regarding emancipation were dictated by timing. Illinois attorney Leonard Swett said he spoke to President Lincoln in October 1863 about a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery: "I told him ...I believed the result of this war would be the extermination of slavery; that Congress would pass the resolution; and that it was proper at that time to be done. I told him if he took that stand, it was an outside position and no one could maintain himself upon any measure more radical, and if failed to take the positions, his rivals would. Turning to me suddenly he said, 'Is not that question doing well enough now?' I replied that it was. 'Well', said he, 'I have never done an official act with a view to promote my own personal aggrandizement, and I don't like to begin now, I can see that time coming; whoever can wait for it, will see it — whoever stands in its way, will be run over by it.' .....from:

Douglas L. Wilson and Rodney O. Davis, editor, Herndon's Informants: Letters, Interviews and Statements about Abraham Lincoln"

Not everyone liked Lincoln for sure just as not everyone likes a certain Democrat or Republican today. If you go, I hope you enjoy the movie. The acting was fantastic, and the use of 'operatives' to get the 13th Amendment to fruition was intriguing and priceless.

*quick digression into history*
My issue with Lincoln was twofold, and me being a male of African decent (I think..lol), it was a tough thing to find out.

1. Lincoln really didn't care anything about slavery, in the beginning. This was all about bringing the Confederate States back into the Union. Lincoln said that he didn't care, if they came back into the Union with slaves or not, as long as they came back. He also took the role of a dictator during those times. The CSA legally seceded from the Union and Lincoln used slavery as a coverup to his true intent.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not to either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also so that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

2. The end of the Civil War began the destruction of the 10th Amendment.

It all sucks because if people would have just realized that we all are human beings, afforded the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that would be one less stain in US History.

#16 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12817 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

*quick digression into history*
My issue with Lincoln was twofold, and me being a male of African decent (I think..lol), it was a tough thing to find out.

1. Lincoln really didn't care anything about slavery, in the beginning. This was all about bringing the Confederate States back into the Union. Lincoln said that he didn't care, if they came back into the Union with slaves or not, as long as they came back. He also took the role of a dictator during those times. The CSA legally seceded from the Union and Lincoln used slavery as a coverup to his true intent.

2. The end of the Civil War began the destruction of the 10th Amendment.

It all sucks because if people would have just realized that we all are human beings, afforded the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that would be one less stain in US History.

Interesting insights. I like your quote:

"It all sucks because if people would have just realized that we all are human beings, afforded the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that would be one less stain in US History."

If you go to the movie, I hope that you enjoy the movie. It made me want to learn more than I 'thought' I knew :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

#17 jahsoul

jahsoul
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Interesting insights. I like your quote:

"It all sucks because if people would have just realized that we all are human beings, afforded the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that would be one less stain in US History."

If you go to the movie, I hope that you enjoy the movie. It made me want to learn more than I 'thought' I knew :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

No problem. You know what made me look deeper into history. Sadly, it was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives and we die, his truth becomes written-and ours is lost.

That line made me wonder if the United States took that approach. Lo and behold, facts about the Civil War and both World Wars begin to come up. So now, I've taken up a keen interest in history.

I will check the movie out because the acting looks downright awesome!

#18 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 8484 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Saw the movie.... loved it.

If any of you who are Lincoln admirers ever get to Washington, DC, please be sure to get to the Lincoln memorial. You'll be glad you did.

But, it's more than just the giant statue of him sitting in this big chair. You go downstairs, inside the memorial and you get to see Lincoln's writings and speeches up close. There are excerpts of his famous, and even not so famous speeches and writings. Read those. You read those and it'll make you realize how special the man was and how fortunate this country was to have had him as President.

DC is a great, Great, GREAT city to be a tourist. So much to see. You could literally be there for weeks and not see everything.

Go and have a great time! :thmup:

#19 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13825 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

The Civil War was a incredibly boring topic to me in US History. I am however looking forward to seeing this movie.

Boring topic? Really? I think you unfortunately just had a poor American History professor Forever18.

This time period is fascinating to me. 1861-1865...Manifest Destiny, slavery, railroads, primitive transportation and communication typically on horseback or by buggy or stage coach, simplistic firearms, The Emancipation Proclamation, and of course Ford Theater & assassin John Wilkes Booth shouting ""Sic semper tyrannis" [Latin for "Thus always to tyrants"] attributed to Brutus at Caesar's assassination and the Virginia state motto, while others said he added, "I have done it, the South is avenged!

Posted Image
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#20 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 17159 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

I will wait until I can buy
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#21 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12817 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I will wait until I can buy

I hear ya......it was the first movie I have seen in years. I prefer your approach.....I was glad I went though :)

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

#22 Indyfan4life

Indyfan4life

King Optimistic

• 1346 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Boring topic? Really? I think you unfortunately just had a poor American History professor Forever18.

This time period is fascinating to me. 1861-1865...Manifest Destiny, slavery, railroads, primitive transportation and communication typically on horseback or by buggy or stage coach, simplistic firearms, The Emancipation Proclamation, and of course Ford Theater & assassin John Wilkes Booth shouting ""Sic semper tyrannis" [Latin for "Thus always to tyrants"] attributed to Brutus at Caesar's assassination and the Virginia state motto, while others said he added, "I have done it, the South is avenged!

Posted Image

US History is boring to me period. I was always more interested in World Civ classes and what was being taught.

#23 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Lincoln didn't give a dang about the slavery issue. He did what he had to so the UNION would survive.

Honest Abe 1862 "If I could save the union without freeing any slaves I would do it, If I could save it by freeing some and leaving others I would do that also"

There are many other quotes out there stating his stance on the issue.

The civil war was all about MONEY and ECONOMICS. England was financing BOTH sides and trying to destroy the US. Before we got too powerful. It almost worked.

The movie previews look a bit boring and wordy .... but I thought the same about "There Will Be Blood" ... and WOW that movie was one of the best I have EVER seen.

I will wait until a DVD rip hits the internet.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
Aldous Huxley

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      29 Oct
    COLTS449

Anyone who is interested in music check out my friend's band. Their called 4forty9. I'm just trying to help them get their name out there. They have videos on you tube.

View All Updates