Photo

Andrew Luck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheJACKCOLT

TheJACKCOLT
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I have been a Colts fan for over 45 years.What we are seeing now with Andrew luck is truly remarkable. Johnny Unitas was my childhood hero,he changed the game,he brought the NFL into the passing era, he was the toughest football player I had ever seen, mentally and physically.Decan Jones said he was an assasian, it wasn't enough for him to win, he had to beat you.Jones said he was the toughest player he ever played against and Decan is not known for complaments.Then along comes Bert Jones and I know alot of people on this board are not so high on Bert Jones,but he is still the most physically gifted quarterback I have ever seen, he was 6'4" 225 lbs in the 70's when quarterbacks were 6'1" and 190 lbs. He was Elway before Elway,but injuries cut his career short.During the time he was healthy he was called (the franchise)in his prime he was the best player in the NFL.Years later comes along Peyton Manning,the most cerebral player to ever play the game. I don't have to tell you anything about #18 you all know about him and what a great player he is.For years I thought Johnny Unitas was the greatest football player I had ever seen and then along comes Peyton,it took a few years for me to put Peyton in the same class as Unitas, but eventually I did, and now believe that Peyton may be the best that I have ever seen, and that is not easy for me to say,because as a child I thought Johnny Unitas was a god. Now along comes Andrew Luck, and now I don't put him in the same class as Unitas, Peyton or even Jones at this point, its to early in his career for that, but I can tell you now that we are seeing something really special, this kid blows me away. He has the guts and toughness of Unitas, the physical ability of Jones and the cerebral talents of Peyton. I don't think there is another franchise in history of NFL football that has had the lineage of quarterbacks that the Colts have had. Hear I am all these years later getting to see the next great Colt quarterback, its like someone took all the best qualities of all the great Colts quarterbacks before and put them into one,and you just don't know how happy that makes an old man like me. Unitas won 3 titles and Peyton won 1. I don't know how many titles Luck will win or how great he will be, but I've got a good feeling,and its sure gonna be fun to watch and see. This guys really special and I'm sure glad he's a Colt "GO COLTS"

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 coltsguy510

coltsguy510

Military Brats FTW!!!

• 1194 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

I have been a Colts fan for over 45 years.What we are seeing now with Andrew luck is truly remarkable. Johnny Unitas was my childhood hero,he changed the game,he brought the NFL into the passing era, he was the toughest football player I had ever seen, mentally and physically.Decan Jones said he was an assasian, it wasn't enough for him to win, he had to beat you.Jones said he was the toughest player he ever played against and Decan is not known for complaments.Then along comes Bert Jones and I know alot of people on this board are not so high on Bert Jones,but he is still the most physically gifted quarterback I have ever seen, he was 6'4" 225 lbs in the 70's when quarterbacks were 6'1" and 190 lbs. He was Elway before Elway,but injuries cut his career short.During the time he was healthy he was called (the franchise)in his prime he was the best player in the NFL.Years later comes along Peyton Manning,the most cerebral player to ever play the game. I don't have to tell you anything about #18 you all know about him and what a great player he is.For years I thought Johnny Unitas was the greatest football player I had ever seen and then along comes Peyton,it took a few years for me to put Peyton in the same class as Unitas, but eventually I did, and now believe that Peyton may be the best that I have ever seen, and that is not easy for me to say,because as a child I thought Johnny Unitas was a god. Now along comes Andrew Luck, and now I don't put him in the same class as Unitas, Peyton or even Jones at this point, its to early in his career for that, but I can tell you now that we are seeing something really special, this kid blows me away. He has the guts and toughness of Unitas, the physical ability of Jones and the cerebral talents of Peyton. I don't think there is another franchise in history of NFL football that has had the lineage of quarterbacks that the Colts have had. Hear I am all these years later getting to see the next great Colt quarterback, its like someone took all the best qualities of all the great Colts quarterbacks before and put them into one,and you just don't know how happy that makes an old man like me. Unitas won 3 titles and Peyton won 1. I don't know how many titles Luck will win or how great he will be, but I've got a good feeling,and its sure gonna be fun to watch and see. This guys really special and I'm sure glad he's a Colt "GO COLTS"

?
Keep Building The Monster Grigson!!!!

#3 SOMDColtsfan

SOMDColtsfan
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I wasnt old enough to see Unitas play but grew up with the idea with what everybody said that he was the greatest QB to ever play the game. Bert Jones was "the god" for me though, I got a Colts/Bert Jones full uniform for Christmas full with helmet, shoulder pads and pants when I was 7 years old. Man I lived in that thing. Peyton revolutionalized the game but much like Dan Marino never had a decent defense for playoff football, its a shame because he deserves to have multi-championships.Agree about Luck, he seems like such a great guy and makes you want to see him succeed. Hopefully Luck can get a team built around him and the Colts can win multi championships during his career

#4 tfunky14

tfunky14
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I wasnt old enough to see Unitas play but grew up with the idea with what everybody said that he was the greatest QB to ever play the game. Bert Jones was "the god" for me though, I got a Colts/Bert Jones full uniform for Christmas full with helmet, shoulder pads and pants when I was 7 years old. Man I lived in that thing. Peyton revolutionalized the game but much like Dan Marino never had a decent defense for playoff football, its a shame because he deserves to have multi-championships.Agree about Luck, he seems like such a great guy and makes you want to see him succeed. Hopefully Luck can get a team built around him and the Colts can win multi championships during his career

wow, pretty much in the same boat with your comment.. good old Bert Jones...

#5 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

i grew up with Unitas, all said abouit him true, just may have been the greatest, 2 pre SB world chmps & SB as well

((( BY THE WAY LIKE THOSE THAT COMMENTED ABOVE ME I TOO LOVED BERT JONES )))

many have read this But I will copy & paste & post again for those that havent, for those who have
skip too the 1 thing i just added

titled

1 pass I will never forget ( its towards the end )

=========================

Unitas in his prime was awesome

This is copy & paste so various type

UNITAS should forever be in that conversation Re the greatest

, He was unique esp for his time & could make every throw imaginable as well as all the film study back then
2 NFL Championships before the superbowl & 1 superbowl,
developed the 2 minute offense in greatest game ever on the fly on last drive
---------------------------
Unitas story,
have this on my computer as been asked before
I wish i had time to tell u all as grew up with him playing and his rookie card was in my 1st pack of football cards bought
he did all the film study as Peyton , did it with Ray berry
just 1 thing

BEST EXAMPLE THAT COMES TO MIND WAS IN GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED

As Many Know

as far as his skill set & playing in a era of running the ball in the greatest game ever he put the NFL on the national stage for the ist time with the first ever 2 minute drill to tie the game and going for the TD in OT instead of basically an extra point distance FG
ALSO
Unitas was one of the smartest players football wise to ever play. Unitas called the offense to and adjusted based on the defense

even when Unitas coaches said above all dont do this he still did what he wanted anyway & usually worked. He would study for hours on end with ray berry and they had the Manning Harrison Communication with a look

THIS IS HOW THE FIRST BEVER 2 MINUTE DRILL CAME ABOUT- FILM STUDY
'That 58 game champ game on the first ever 2 minute drive to tie ,

Well in that final tying drive's start there was a defense they never saw before on the playing field designed to take away the sideline throw to berry to the outside & letting him get out of bounds after a catch using 2 defenders & keeping the clock going as Giants Knew with little time a sideline pass would be done

way before this they saw that same defense in film that is after studying tons of film, & not on the Giants but in general and said if we ever see this lets do this

Well they each looked at each other and wondered if the other remembered what they discussed one time in the past
, the play started, and instead of going to the outside Berry cut across the middle of the field where when he turned to look the ball was there right in his hands , Berry in full stride and the same on the nexrt few plays & they marched down the field to tie
Remember for the win he could of called a FG, and called a run & got a TD in first ever OT game , not just OT in championship
--------------------

In the book Johnny Unitas Americas QB, 2 forwards 1 by teamate Art Donovan & 1 by Peyton ,, peyton said
You hear about players from other eras, & some wonder if thgey would be as good today. Well let me tell u, there's no wondering about Johnny Unitas. He was a superstar then. He would be a superstar today. The NFL should name an award after him for all that hes meant. He put the NFL on the map.
--------------------------------
Coaches often said whatever u do dont do this, Unitas would do it anyway based on what he saw and it worked
he was an earlier version of Peyton smarts way ahead of his time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there was 1 game he was mauled but legal then, he stood up , blood flowing from his nose & I think was Mackey but not sure who stuffed mud up his nose to slow it but while still bleeding and blood flowing down face he didnt miss a down and led the team downfield to score. So when u were out of a game back then u really were hurt

1 pass I will never forget
RB Lenny Moore runs to the sidelines and them upfield, Unitas sees him and delivers a pass that in my memory traveled 50 yards to hit Moore perfectly in stride who ran another 20 for the 70 yard TD, I think that sticks in my mind over some of Berry's highlights as the way Unitas often did that with Moore out of the Backfield, Unitas, Berry & Moore were the triplets of the time
-----
Unitas dumped after draft Picked in 9th round, many rounds back then , actualy that was pick # 102 overall in 55 , Steelers evaluated their pick and dumped him, colts picked him up in 56 after he was playing in sandlot games for $ 6 a game, and seen by Colt CM who sent a postcard to invite unitas ti try out , Colt players lauighed when 1st saw skiny kid with a bad right shoulder

Now why did he even get to play
Colts had # 1 draft choice in 55 & picked a QB George Shaw, ( BTW also got ameche in that draft )
Colts likeed Shaw and was building a team with Shaw designed as the leader , but he got hurt, Unitas came in , all were stunned & Shaw never again was the starter, Thats Sandlot Vs # 1 drafdt pick

The skinny kid unitas was picked up just for a backup and nothing expected of him,
OF NOTE
Unitas 1st pass IT pick 6 , 2nd play fumbled handoff , then all turned around and thuss became the golden arm
Thats all could go on forever but u get my feelings
Forgive any typos, try to catch, but have multiple progressive disabilities

#6 Coltsfanman1953

Coltsfanman1953
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Unitas is the reason that I am a COLTS fan. I watched a game in which the COLTS were in the shadow of there own goal, first down and 15 after a penalty and instead of running to get more room. He lofted the ball to the 45 yard line and the reciever did the rest. No fear and very confident in his ability. I think someone asked him if that was a dangerous pass and he said not if you know what you're doing. Positively the best.

#7 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Unitas is the reason that I am a COLTS fan. I watched a game in which the COLTS were in the shadow of there own goal, first down and 15 after a penalty and instead of running to get more room. He lofted the ball to the 45 yard line and the reciever did the rest. No fear and very confident in his ability. I think someone asked him if that was a dangerous pass and he said not if you know what you're doing. Positively the best.

He definitely has said that line, I dont remember if only the time u note or others as well , but that was his philosophy and know I heard it at least once from him, Thanks for reminding me, I will have to add it with your permission to my computer saved article above for future reference if ever asked or need to use again

BACK TO LUCK

Colts have a great future with him behind center &mistakes of not having a well balanced team with Peyton wont be done again so he may have more than 1 Colt SB win, time will tell but the potential is there

#8 Playoffs2013

Playoffs2013
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

you left out Jeff George and curtis the franchise painter
Sign Avril over Kruger

#9 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

He definitely has said that line, I dont remember if only the time u note or others as well , but that was his philosophy and know I heard it at least once from him, Thanks for reminding me, I will have to add it with your permission to my computer saved article above for future reference if ever asked or need to use again

BACK TO LUCK

Colts have a great future with him behind center &mistakes of not having a well balanced team with Peyton wont be done again so he may have more than 1 Colt SB win, time will tell but the potential is there

THE LINER U SAID I KNEW I ALSO READ something else similar , In the book I mentioned & I will copy word for word

In the OT win in the greatest game ever played

wanting to win such a game with a td,, not a fg, as such a game deserved a td victory, and knowing he was being pressured much up, the middle in OT especially on pass plays , NEARING THE GOAL LINE after a run for no gain, then a 12 yard pass to berry to the 8 ,Coach ewbanks wanted a fg, not unitas though , he was thinking td from the drives start

A timeout called & Coach Ewbanks told Unitas in no uncertain terms to keep it on the ground and knew if didnt get in had a FG in his pocket, & as he feared an unfortunate IT wanted to eliminate the possibility, Unitas did run it but only for 1 play, AMeche got only 1 yard and was tiring So the last 2 runs netted 1 yard and Unitas wanted more

He threw a daring 6 yard pass to Mutscheller who was shoved out of bounds at the 1, Then on the next play fooled the giants by having Ameche not run behind the great OT , HOFer , Parker as they expected but sent him to the other side toward OG Sandusky & OT George Preas. the 2 opened a monstrous hole for Ameche who crossing the goal line actually fell in under his own tired momentum

Unitas then ran off the field, job done, he did what was expected of him by others but more importantly by himself * & didnt want to be engulfed with rest of team at the goaline, he went to the visitors locker room for safety which then became a bedlam of reporters

Unitas said " they couldn't of stopped us if we needed 10 yards " .

1 reporter asked Unitas about gambling with that throw to Mutscheller & risking an IT. Unitas politely answered but with calculated assuredness:

" It wasn't a gamble. They didn't see what I saw . When you know what you're doing, you're not intercepted. The Giants were jammed up at the line and not expecting a pass. If Jim ( Mutscheller ) had been covered, I'd have thrown the pass out of bounds, It's just that I would rather win. a game like this by a touchdown than a field goal. It was no sweat. They were playing one on one, looking for a run. All I had to do was flip it up there for Jim and let him catch it. I dont expect a pass like that to fail & it didnt. No matter how good a defense is you can always find a weakness somewhere. You find it and start hitting it. When they close it up, you have to then find the next weakness "

A # of Qb's could throw long but Unitas could Pass long, there's a difference, but the complete QB is the one who can also think. Unitas won every inch of that game with his head

Post game The Great Giant HOF defender Sam Huff said; " the man was a genius, I never saw a QB that good on those two drives " (meaning the tying FG ^& winning OT drives )

That answer Unitas gave above could easily have come from Peytons Mouth

#10 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

That answer Unitas gave above could easily have come from Peytons Mouth

I one day Luck will say the same as well

#11 BleedingBlue

BleedingBlue
  • 1010 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hahah, I WISH I had the helmet. Man you are so lucky. I was also about 7 and also rooting for Bert Jones. We couldn't afford the helmet, so my dad took me to a 2nd hand Sporting Goods store in Baltimore and got me a 1950s helmet with a red stripe. It was terrible.

To the OP, you forgot Captain Comeback!!!!

Peyton Manning was the greatest Quarterback to ever wear the colts helmet, no doubt. I am rooting for Andrew, and I too see promise, but we have to hope he learns not to press. He is pressing because he wants to win, and I respect that, but pressing leads to turnovers and turnovers leads to losses and losses leads to lack of confidence.
Calvin Johnson drops 2 passes in the 4th Quarter? Really?

#12 Stephen

Stephen
  • 2863 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

lets not talk about painter

#13 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I try to wipe that name from my mind, u " ort"n " not speak of him too

#14 jwilli69

jwilli69
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hahah, I WISH I had the helmet. Man you are so lucky. I was also about 7 and also rooting for Bert Jones. We couldn't afford the helmet, so my dad took me to a 2nd hand Sporting Goods store in Baltimore and got me a 1950s helmet with a red stripe. It was terrible.

To the OP, you forgot Captain Comeback!!!!

Peyton Manning was the greatest Quarterback to ever wear the colts helmet, no doubt. I am rooting for Andrew, and I too see promise, but we have to hope he learns not to press. He is pressing because he wants to win, and I respect that, but pressing leads to turnovers and turnovers leads to losses and losses leads to lack of confidence.

All rookies press and get tricked into throwing bad balls. PM did it a lot in his first year and several times after actually. A bad oline will force u to press as well and we certainly have that.
John Williams

#15 cjrulli

cjrulli
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I one day Luck will say the same as well

Bayone I always appreciate reading your posts. You are a true fan with a lot of passion. Hope your doing well!

#16 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Bayone I always appreciate reading your posts. You are a true fan with a lot of passion. Hope your doing well!

As best as can each & every day, trying is half of it, thanks, Barry

#17 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

I ran out of likes or would of given ya one, same with others posters, Have to count how many are allowed, but other day ran out in early am and in PM got more again but not today

#18 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Got likes back again this is weird so gave u one

#19 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7945 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image

Houston Texans, 2011, 2012, 2014 AFC South Champions

#20 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6750 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

And there was Andrew's teacher Jim Harbaugh

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      25 Oct
    Skelly

When I look at the news all I see is sadness, sickness, and complete and utter stupidity. I think I might sign up for the first flight to Mars.

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      24 Oct
    Bogie

Retro throwback week for Halloween - Mercyful Fate and Black Sabbath. I forgot how fun melodic metal albums were.

Show comments (11)
View All Updates