Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nobody's 2013 FA/Mock Draft

Rhodes is a zone corner.

Per Walterfootball...

Rhodes is a big cornerback who is very physical with receivers. He does a good job in press man coverage. Off the snap, Rhodes limits the release with a strong jam and rerouting skills. He has the speed and athletic ability to run with receivers after the jam.

Against Floyd, Rhodes showed the ability to match up with an elite receiver. Floyd couldn't beat Rhodes with speed or size. He is a good run defender who is capable of putting on some nice hits on ball-carriers.

Definitely a press corner.

Free Agency

Main Signings

Ryan Clady- OT Denver Broncos

6'6 315 lbs

It will take a lot of money, but we have that. Clady is the bet pass blocking (maybe best all around) OT in the league. He rejected a big offer from the Broncos.

20081230__broncs_110208__HHR1808~p1.jpg

Andy Levitre- OG Buffalo Bills

6'2 305 lbs

The best OG in free agency. We have the money.

levitre_a_playercard.jpg

Sam Shields

5'11 185 lbs

Rodgers-Cromartie is resigned, so the Colts go after another speed demon CB. He will hopefully fill the void left by Powers at #2 CB.

Jay+Cutler+Sam+Shields+2011+NFC+Championship+G5pn7ui3wywl.jpg

That isn't it, but I'm not getting into it that much. We add plenty of depth, too.

Re-sign

We re-sign Avery, Fokou, Butler, Justice, McAfee, Reitz, Vaughn, and Tevaseu.

1. Matt Elam- SS Florida

5'10 202 lbs

He brings what Bob Sanders brought. A guy who people are afraid to be around. He has the speed, tackling, and power to be an instant probowler. His knocks are size and his tendency to occasionally get lost in coverage.

sleepytime.gif

3. Larry Warford- OG Kentucky

6'3 343 lbs

Can be dominant at times, but needs to finish through blocks more often. Will fall further than his talent because of his position and school.

7_314550.jpg

4. Sean Porter- OLB Texas A&M

6'2 230 lbs

Porter has struggled in his new role as a 4-3 OLB. He was a monster at 3-4 OLB last year, and has great athleticism. He is playing out of position, but he will get to play una 3-4 again with us, and hopefully return to his prior form.

5353996062_d604c7218e_z_display_image_display_image.jpg?1342220868

We sign Dustin Hopkins- K FSU as an UDFA(or use a complimentary pick on him) to compete with Vinatieri. He has the strongest leg in the draft.

Dustin-Hopkins-AP.jpg

Now our secondary, OL, and LBers are set. We still need a WR to replace Wayne and more talent at DL. Eventually we may need to get a good RB, but we'll see how Ballard and Brown play behind this revamped line.

Thoughts? I know I must've missed something.

DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST

That signing strategy WON'T WORK, first off Ryan Clady even though as a Colts fan I would absolutely love to see him blocking for Andrew luck more then any other lineman in free agency, as much as I really hate to say it isn't leaving Denver. Granted the Broncos franchising him (here's for another post about Peyton) with Manning being owed 60 million in the next 2 seasons making him the highest paid player in the NFL and Eric Decker set to become a free agent in 2014 will put them a very rough estimate of 7.8 million over the cap based on contract situations according to rotoworld.com. Which means in order to keep Peyton Manning, Ryan Clady and Eric Decker the Broncos will have to cut some key defenders in the next 2 seasons who could have value to the Colts in the next 2 seasons starting next off season. Because even if Clady re-signs with the team long-term after he's franchised he will still likely be owed franchise tag type money the first 2 seasons of his new contract. Secondly the 2013 free agent class, although it may be stronger then average still has a weak bunch of offensive guards. No way Grigson over pays for Andy Levitre and I doubt the Colts make much of an effort to sign a new face at the Guard position. And finally Sam Shields according to rotoworld.com is a restricted free agent, meaning the Packers can and likely will give him a 2.742 million dollar rfa tender meaning for another team to sign him, that team will have to make him an offer the Packers cannot match then give up a first round pick to get him. No one in their right mind would ever give up a first round pick for Shields.

So Colts needs going into the draft and free agency and how they will address them in the order needed for the starters/future starters

G-Rietz first round RFA tender, other Guard position addressed in the draft w/first round pick (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

T-Free agency

#1 CB-Free Agency

NT-Free Agency

SS-Draft (third-forth round pick) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

DLE-Draft (third-forth round pick) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs), Fili Moala re-signed for next to nothing (a few million (possibly not even 2 mill).

P-McAfee re-signed (long term deal)

K-Draft (5th round or lower) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

Projected draft pick for the Colts in 2013-First round playoff exit, 10-6 record low to mid 20's first round selection.

Other free agents the Colts will re-sign-Mosie Fokou (low lever contract), Winston Justice as a backup if money is right, Cassius Vaughn (RFA 2nd round tender (1.9 mill), team may also bring back Martin Tevaseau with the executive rights tag 50/50 chance on him.

That signing strategy WON'T WORK, first off Ryan Clady even though as a Colts fan I would absolutely love to see him blocking for Andrew luck more then any other lineman in free agency, as much as I really hate to say it isn't leaving Denver. Granted the Broncos franchising him (here's for another post about Peyton) with Manning being owed 60 million in the next 2 seasons making him the highest paid player in the NFL and Eric Decker set to become a free agent in 2014 will put them a very rough estimate of 7.8 million over the cap based on contract situations according to rotoworld.com. Which means in order to keep Peyton Manning, Ryan Clady and Eric Decker the Broncos will have to cut some key defenders in the next 2 seasons who could have value to the Colts in the next 2 seasons starting next off season. Because even if Clady re-signs with the team long-term after he's franchised he will still likely be owed franchise tag type money the first 2 seasons of his new contract. Secondly the 2013 free agent class, although it may be stronger then average still has a weak bunch of offensive guards. No way Grigson over pays for Andy Levitre and I doubt the Colts make much of an effort to sign a new face at the Guard position. And finally Sam Shields according to rotoworld.com is a restricted free agent, meaning the Packers can and likely will give him a 2.742 million dollar rfa tender meaning for another team to sign him, that team will have to make him an offer the Packers cannot match then give up a first round pick to get him. No one in their right mind would ever give up a first round pick for Shields.

So Colts needs going into the draft and free agency and how they will address them in the order needed for the starters/future starters

G-Rietz first round RFA tender, other Guard position addressed in the draft w/first round pick (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

T-Free agency

#1 CB-Free Agency

NT-Free Agency

SS-Draft (third-forth round pick) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

DLE-Draft (third-forth round pick) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it based on how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs), Fili Moala re-signed for next to nothing (a few million (possibly not even 2 mill).

P-McAfee re-signed (long term deal)

K-Draft (5th round or lower) (opened to first round suggestions on who the Colts could draft based on their record and if they make it how they do/are projected to do in the playoffs).

Projected draft pick for the Colts in 2013-First round playoff exit, 10-6 record low to mid 20's first round selection.

Other free agents the Colts will re-sign-Mosie Fokou (low lever contract), Winston Justice as a backup if money is right, Cassius Vaughn (RFA 2nd round tender (1.9 mill), team may also bring back Martin Tevaseau with the executive rights tag 50/50 chance on him.

TL;DR.

And thanks for quoting my post that I explicitly said not to quote.

and what the heck is executive rights tag? if by that you mean Franchise Tag thats plumb nuts

I'm not sure, but I believe the ex rights tag allows the Colts to match any offer another team gives a player to get that player back. I think it's like a first refusal tender on an RFA. I was also under the impression that NFL teams are allowed to place ex rights tags on 3 of their own players. But for the Colts the only player they'll need to place an ex rights tag on is Pat McAfee.

Btw, when I said Clady rejected a large offer from Denver, I was telling the truth. He rejected a 5 year 50 million dollar deal, and he and the Broncos stopped contract talks. When I said DRC was re-signed in the Sam Shields post I was predicting.

There is a chance we do get Clady.

Unfortunately as much as I hate to say it no there isn't unless we want to give up 2 first round picks and an ungodly amount of money. The Broncos have already said they will use the franchise tag on him if a deal cannot be agreed on by the deadline to use the tag according to rotoworld.com and as we both know Clady is likely going to demand to be the highest paid O-lineman in the league. The Colts with the offensive guard class being so weak these next 2 seasons cannot afford to give up 2 first round picks the team could use on a guard for a LT even one as good as Clady. And oh yeah btw, just for the record my estimated numbers on Denver's salary cap in terms of the team keeping Manning and Clady are with the team releasing DJ Williams counting the full 6 million he is owed next season.

Resign-

1.Donnie Avery-Not a great route runner or perfect hands but he has been as productive through 11 games as I thought he would be all year long and he has remained healthy this year, Would like him to find the end zone more because he has alot of potential in my opinion and its not all coming out

2.A.Q Shipley-Has not played eye popping but has played much better then the current starter Satele in my opinion, at least Shipley has balance which if you focus on Satele you can clearly see he leans to far forward off the snap of the ball and is not nearly as physical as advertised (and looking at a few games that Oakland played last year you can see the same thing)

3.Fili Moala-Was not playing spectacular but was coming along well in the new scheme, would be a decent starter if we did not get a 3-4 DE in the draft or FA, If we did go the draft route for that position then he would be a solid backup option

4.Antonio Johnson (we dont know when Chapman will be able to play or how good he will be after injury,) also Mckinney is a huge man who injured his knee who was not even real good pre injury, Tevasue is also in the last year of his deal as well, Johnson while not our NT of the future is still our best backup option for the future unless we take a NT in the draft somewhere or in FA.

5.Josh Gordy-Has not done much thats relevant this year outside of a sack vs Jacksonville but he is still young, aggressive Corner who is not afraid to jump a route and can blitz from the Nickel, I'd keep him on a minimal deal for depth and see what he can do with it in a 2nd year in this system

6.Darius Butler-showed flashes of very good talent vs Jax with 2 picks and then followed that up with a forced fumble vs New England, Could be a #2 perhaps but I'd bring him back to compete with Gordy for Nickel

7.Winston Justice-While not the answer going forward, he could provide us with some sort of decent depth

8.Drew Stanton-Outside of Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Matt Moore Drew Stanton would be the best option as a backup QB behind Luck. I'd be alright with Batch or Stanton or Moore but will stick with Stanton

9.Jeff Linkenbach- While Link has no business at Right Tackle he has played pretty decent at Guard and would provide us with some decent depth, nothing great but I wouldnt be worried if he was subbed in at RG or LG

10.Matt Overton-ya need a long snapper and Im not investing money in another guy just to hike a ball on field goals, he is cheap, he stays for now.

11.Pat Mcafee-Good but not a great Punter and is a pretty good tackler (unfortunately we have seen that one to many times)

12.Moise Fokou-Nothing spectacular about him, Seems to be a thumper, not good in coverage but has done pretty decent when called upon to play, saves us from having to unnecessarily go for depth

Releasing

1.Tevasue

2.Hickman (I think we will be looking elsewhere for a backup but to me can be a Wild Card in terms of staying or going)

3.Tony Hills

4.Cassius Vaughn

5.Mario Harvey ( I think he is a heavy hitter though and do like him)

6.Clifton Geathers

7.Dwight Freeney, Still has good but not elite pass rushing ability in him in my opinion but at 32 and soon to be 33 the time has passed for him in terms of him having to learn a new defense and rethink his instincts to pass rush but now also play the run, Great Colt, will miss him, cant wait for him to retire to say goodbye properly but situations change and unfortunately Freeney nor anyone else can turn back the clock, if we could then I could see him getting this new defense he is in in time, unfortunately ya just cant

Disagree some

RE-sign

Pat McAfee-With the type of offense the Colts run, he's too valuable to let hit the free agent market. Plus he's fun to listen to on Bob And Tom and cares about his fans.

Joe Reitz-RFA first round tender, the guard class is way too weak

Fili Moala-Agreed not the best, but a must re-sign since he will likely give the team a small home team discount and will come cheap. Plus signing another DE for more wouldn't be too wise of a decision for the Colts since they are pretty desperate for a NT but not as desperate as they are for a T, G, or #1 CB.

Cassius Vaughan-(2nd round RFA tender) Him and Gordy are the only to RFA D-backs the Colts have on their roster and the given how much they need to address the CB position (even if they land a huge name FA CB in 2013) in the draft. The team needs to make a choice between Gordy and Vaughan as their #3 cover corner for next season.

Winston Justice-Agree with everything you say and he should bring a small home town discount with him as a backup. But if he wants to get paid like a starter, let him go.

Mosie Fokou-Agree with everything you said and the fact that he should bring a small home town discount to the Colts.

Tavasue-too restricted too easy to keep for next to nothing even though he sucks, he can always be cut in training camp.

Gone

Donnie Avery-Good receiver, needs to stay healthy and Grigson drafted too many guys for the Colts to invest any money at the position in the free agent market. And I am perfectly aware most Colts fans disagree with me that Hilton and Brazil will be good 2 and 3 receivers next season.

A.Q. Shipley-Team needs to make room for draft picks at the G position plus Olsen can play Center

Antonio Johnson and Jeff Linkenbach on your keepers list. Really? After how poorly they've played in the team's new system?

Drew Stanton-Gone, the team doesn't need to invest in 3 QB's on their roster. Plus given how weak the free agent QB class is with thus far Flaco (who will likely get franchised) being the only starting caliber free agent, Stanton will likely get over paid as a backup else ware.

Darius Butler-Gone, will likely want too much money for his Jacksonville performance.

Freeney-Agree with everything you say, him leaving for another team may be a tougher pill to swallow then Peyton leaving since sadly Jacksonville and Tennessee should be the top 2 contenders for him in the free agent market. But he doesn't fit a 3-4 and we already have Mathis who fits a 3-4 well as our needed wiley veteran in the LB core.

Agree with you on Hills too, other player mentioned in releasing not free agents according to rotoworld.com.

You forgot Collie too, agree with you on both too btw.

In a Man Blocking scheme (like the Colts have in place for the most part) I see Olsen going back to his natural Tackle spot he played at Iowa, just does not have the size and strength and was abused before his season was ended (mercifully I think for many of us fans). Shipley has not played great but he has played better then Satele, if Satele was set to be a FA along with Shipley then I'd let Satele go, as it is I'd have an open competition next yea between Satele and Shipley, I think Shipley has played much better. Also Avery has been the more productive of thew two (Hilton. Avery) his draw back is age. Linkenbach has been our best Guard this year, has no business at RT though, Vaughn is also awful, I'd pick Gordy

In a Man Blocking scheme (like the Colts have in place for the most part) I see Olsen going back to his natural Tackle spot he played at Iowa, just does not have the size and strength and was abused before his season was ended (mercifully I think for many of us fans). Shipley has not played great but he has played better then Satele, if Satele was set to be a FA along with Shipley then I'd let Satele go, as it is I'd have an open competition next yea between Satele and Shipley, I think Shipley has played much better. Also Avery has been the more productive of thew two (Hilton. Avery) his draw back is age. Linkenbach has been our best Guard this year, has no business at RT though, Vaughn is also awful, I'd pick Gordy

I'll agree with you on Avery and Shipley but only because Satele has had injury problems this season and missed allot of ota's, next season I expect Satele to be better then Shipley. But even though Avery is playing better then Hilton and Brazil, something to keep in mind is that Hilton and Brazil are both rookies drafted no higher then late third round, they'll both be better next season. Plus given his history or injuries everyone knows Avery is just going to get injured once someone signs him long-term. So I guess I'm comfortable with the Colts re-signing Avery to a one year deal even though they have much bigger needs to address in free agency then WR. As for Olsen, well lets just say that if he gets moved to tackle Justice will be gone and the Colts will look for a starting guard and backup center in the draft. As for Linkenbach, well lets just be completely honest, he always just plain sucked and even though he sucks at both guard and RT I still think he's better suited for RT and I'll take Rietz or Shipley any day over him at both positions. But either way I expect him not to receive any tender from the Colts next season and sign with a new team and I think every sports writer for the Colts would agree with me here. Now as for Gordy vs. Vaughn, I'd take Vaughn because at least he plays well on special teams.