Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nobody's 2013 FA/Mock Draft

Free Agency

Main Signings

Ryan Clady- OT Denver Broncos

6'6 315 lbs

It will take a lot of money, but we have that. Clady is the bet pass blocking (maybe best all around) OT in the league. He rejected a big offer from the Broncos.

20081230__broncs_110208__HHR1808~p1.jpg

Andy Levitre- OG Buffalo Bills

6'2 305 lbs

The best OG in free agency. We have the money.

levitre_a_playercard.jpg

Sam Shields

5'11 185 lbs

Rodgers-Cromartie is resigned, so the Colts go after another speed demon CB. He will hopefully fill the void left by Powers at #2 CB.

Jay+Cutler+Sam+Shields+2011+NFC+Championship+G5pn7ui3wywl.jpg

That isn't it, but I'm not getting into it that much. We add plenty of depth, too.

Re-sign

We re-sign Avery, Fokou, Butler, Justice, McAfee, Reitz, Vaughn, and Tevaseu.

1. Matt Elam- SS Florida

5'10 202 lbs

He brings what Bob Sanders brought. A guy who people are afraid to be around. He has the speed, tackling, and power to be an instant probowler. His knocks are size and his tendency to occasionally get lost in coverage.

sleepytime.gif

3. Larry Warford- OG Kentucky

6'3 343 lbs

Can be dominant at times, but needs to finish through blocks more often. Will fall further than his talent because of his position and school.

7_314550.jpg

4. Sean Porter- OLB Texas A&M

6'2 230 lbs

Porter has struggled in his new role as a 4-3 OLB. He was a monster at 3-4 OLB last year, and has great athleticism. He is playing out of position, but he will get to play una 3-4 again with us, and hopefully return to his prior form.

5353996062_d604c7218e_z_display_image_display_image.jpg?1342220868

We sign Dustin Hopkins- K FSU as an UDFA(or use a complimentary pick on him) to compete with Vinatieri. He has the strongest leg in the draft.

Dustin-Hopkins-AP.jpg

Now our secondary, OL, and LBers are set. We still need a WR to replace Wayne and more talent at DL. Eventually we may need to get a good RB, but we'll see how Ballard and Brown play behind this revamped line.

Thoughts? I know I must've missed something.

DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST

Btw, when I said Clady rejected a large offer from Denver, I was telling the truth. He rejected a 5 year 50 million dollar deal, and he and the Broncos stopped contract talks. When I said DRC was re-signed in the Sam Shields post I was predicting.

There is a chance we do get Clady.

I would replace your signing of OG Andy Levitre with OLB Connor Barwin and then I would love that free agency. Getting a stud LT in Clady would make our OL so much better when Costanzo is moved to RT. If we draft a good OG in Warford in the 3rd, we dont need Levitre. McGlynn or Reitz can play the other OG spot.

In the draft, I would rather have 3-4 DE Sheldon Richardson over Matt Elam, and dont me get wrong, Elam would be fine with me if Richardson was gone. I just think we need more talent and depth on our DL to make this defense better. Having better guys on the DL would keep our LBs free to rome.

I would take Vaccaro over Elam, partially because I'm a Longhorn fan and partially because I think he has better coverage ability and more prototypical size. I need to look up this Warford guy, he seems to be getting a lot of pub around here. Can't say as I've watched a UK football game in my life.

Love it, real good job man. Addresses everything. Only rub is I doubt that we get Clady but it would be great if we could put him on Lucks blindside, and move Castonzo to RT. Levitre would be great inside. Although I like Shields I also like Cary Williams from Baltimore.

I like the thoughts Nobody but have 2 concerns, and while this will sound "complainy" overall I really like your mock.

1st: free agency is all about overpaying veterans with success and then leaving the modest pay to under-performers. We have some nice cap room incoming, but picking up the 3 you named and then resigning the guys you named some of whom will likely ask for longer-better contracts just doesn't seem technically feasible. I could be wrong... I'd like to be wrong. I think you're player selection is great.

2nd:I like your later round picks, but I'm not feeling the value of Elam. I wouldn't be upset if we got Elam, but I'd rather sacrifice Elam's hard-hitting, good tacking for a well rounded better-in-coverage safety, but they still wouldn't have a desired value, IMO. So, alternatively, instead of signing shields in free agency I might try signing Byrd from the Bills or another top safety, and instead opt to pick up a CB in the 1st round where I think the talent option is better than the safeties.

Wharford I like but thats it out of the draft picks and Vaughn resigning is a waste of a roster spot, the others guys you have us resigning would at the very least make for decent depth .

Porter at 230lbs makes me hesitate on him, I would take Brandon Jenkins over him

Not real big on breaking the bank for Clady. Castonzo is in his 2nd year and will continue to improve his pass blocking. Plus it's not like switching to the right side when you've been on the left your whole life is easy. I would like to get Vollmer since he will be a lot cheaper and he has been right on par with Eric Winston as best RT in the league. Between Levitre, Urbik, and Rinehart, Buffalo has a lot of talented OGs, and they won't be able to keep them all...especially with Byrd being a must sign. My preference would be Urbik. The rest of my wish list is Randy Starks, Desmond Bryant, Aubrayo Franklin, Bradley Fletcher, and William Moore.

By my estimates...

Vollmer - 4 year/22....5.5 p/y

Urbik - 4 year/16.....4

Starks - 4 year/20.....5

Bryant - 3 year/10.....3.3

Franklin - 2 year/4.....2

Fletcher - 3 year/10.....3.3

Moore - 6 year/60......10

Adds up to about 33 milion per year without taking all the legal jargon that I don't understand. Keeps us well under our projected cap so we can keep guys we like too.

Then draft Xavier Rhodes and Larry Warford.

Very close to my draft/FA priorities. I'm predicting that Freeney pulls the Reggie Wayne and unexpectedly re-signs with the Colts. I feel that his lack of production is more a result of his injury than his inability to fit the new system. We have a ton of cap room, so I say that we can keep him and bring in Brent Grimes (CB, Falcons), Derek Landri (DL, Eagles), and a low-level FA OT. Then, I would draft:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida

3) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas

4) Branden Smith, CB, Georgia

6) Michael Mauti, OLB, Penn State

All this Elam projecting has gotten me very hyped....seriously..I'd love for the Colts to pick him up but as far as FA pick ups....

1)Dwayne Bowe-Hear me out, he's kinda crazy but I'd be crazy if I played for a team my whole career that never had a talented QB. he's a big WR and a great compliment to Hilton and Wayne...and he just wants to leave

2) Sabastian Vollmer- Very solid tackle...and since no one is sacred in NE he may be an easy steal

3) Cliff Avril-Although he plays in a base 4-3 I think he'd make a fine OLB

I would take Vaccaro over Elam, partially because I'm a Longhorn fan and partially because I think he has better coverage ability and more prototypical size. I need to look up this Warford guy, he seems to be getting a lot of pub around here. Can't say as I've watched a UK football game in my life.

I get what you're saying, but Elam is by far a better player.

Not real big on breaking the bank for Clady. Castonzo is in his 2nd year and will continue to improve his pass blocking. Plus it's not like switching to the right side when you've been on the left your whole life is easy. I would like to get Vollmer since he will be a lot cheaper and he has been right on par with Eric Winston as best RT in the league. Between Levitre, Urbik, and Rinehart, Buffalo has a lot of talented OGs, and they won't be able to keep them all...especially with Byrd being a must sign. My preference would be Urbik. The rest of my wish list is Randy Starks, Desmond Bryant, Aubrayo Franklin, Bradley Fletcher, and William Moore.

By my estimates...

Vollmer - 4 year/22....5.5 p/y

Urbik - 4 year/16.....4

Starks - 4 year/20.....5

Bryant - 3 year/10.....3.3

Franklin - 2 year/4.....2

Fletcher - 3 year/10.....3.3

Moore - 6 year/60......10

Adds up to about 33 milion per year without taking all the legal jargon that I don't understand. Keeps us well under our projected cap so we can keep guys we like too.

Then draft Xavier Rhodes and Larry Warford.

Rhodes is a zone corner.

I like the thoughts Nobody but have 2 concerns, and while this will sound "complainy" overall I really like your mock.

1st: free agency is all about overpaying veterans with success and then leaving the modest pay to under-performers. We have some nice cap room incoming, but picking up the 3 you named and then resigning the guys you named some of whom will likely ask for longer-better contracts just doesn't seem technically feasible. I could be wrong... I'd like to be wrong. I think you're player selection is great.

2nd:I like your later round picks, but I'm not feeling the value of Elam. I wouldn't be upset if we got Elam, but I'd rather sacrifice Elam's hard-hitting, good tacking for a well rounded better-in-coverage safety, but they still wouldn't have a desired value, IMO. So, alternatively, instead of signing shields in free agency I might try signing Byrd from the Bills or another top safety, and instead opt to pick up a CB in the 1st round where I think the talent option is better than the safeties.

Bethea is our coverage safety, we need another Sanders, IMO. I'd love Byrd, but I don't see it happening. I feel the CBs are topheavy, and we wouldn't get a good value man corner in the 20s.

Seem Mauti play a couple games but I hesitate to use a draft pick on him given his injury history tearing both anterior cruciate ligaments in his knees (both right and left) as well as suffered a shoulder injury and and ankle injury while at Penn State, Thats not to say I wouldn't look at him because he is impressive and injuries are a part of the game, but both knees a shoulder and a ankle injury while being slightly undersized in a 3-4 scheme at only 234lbs. I'd pass but, Better players can be had at that position with a smaller injury history

Resign-

1.Donnie Avery-Not a great route runner or perfect hands but he has been as productive through 11 games as I thought he would be all year long and he has remained healthy this year, Would like him to find the end zone more because he has alot of potential in my opinion and its not all coming out

2.A.Q Shipley-Has not played eye popping but has played much better then the current starter Satele in my opinion, at least Shipley has balance which if you focus on Satele you can clearly see he leans to far forward off the snap of the ball and is not nearly as physical as advertised (and looking at a few games that Oakland played last year you can see the same thing)

3.Fili Moala-Was not playing spectacular but was coming along well in the new scheme, would be a decent starter if we did not get a 3-4 DE in the draft or FA, If we did go the draft route for that position then he would be a solid backup option

4.Antonio Johnson (we dont know when Chapman will be able to play or how good he will be after injury,) also Mckinney is a huge man who injured his knee who was not even real good pre injury, Tevasue is also in the last year of his deal as well, Johnson while not our NT of the future is still our best backup option for the future unless we take a NT in the draft somewhere or in FA.

5.Josh Gordy-Has not done much thats relevant this year outside of a sack vs Jacksonville but he is still young, aggressive Corner who is not afraid to jump a route and can blitz from the Nickel, I'd keep him on a minimal deal for depth and see what he can do with it in a 2nd year in this system

6.Darius Butler-showed flashes of very good talent vs Jax with 2 picks and then followed that up with a forced fumble vs New England, Could be a #2 perhaps but I'd bring him back to compete with Gordy for Nickel

7.Winston Justice-While not the answer going forward, he could provide us with some sort of decent depth

8.Drew Stanton-Outside of Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Matt Moore Drew Stanton would be the best option as a backup QB behind Luck. I'd be alright with Batch or Stanton or Moore but will stick with Stanton

9.Jeff Linkenbach- While Link has no business at Right Tackle he has played pretty decent at Guard and would provide us with some decent depth, nothing great but I wouldnt be worried if he was subbed in at RG or LG

10.Matt Overton-ya need a long snapper and Im not investing money in another guy just to hike a ball on field goals, he is cheap, he stays for now.

11.Pat Mcafee-Good but not a great Punter and is a pretty good tackler (unfortunately we have seen that one to many times)

12.Moise Fokou-Nothing spectacular about him, Seems to be a thumper, not good in coverage but has done pretty decent when called upon to play, saves us from having to unnecessarily go for depth

Releasing

1.Tevasue

2.Hickman (I think we will be looking elsewhere for a backup but to me can be a Wild Card in terms of staying or going)

3.Tony Hills

4.Cassius Vaughn

5.Mario Harvey ( I think he is a heavy hitter though and do like him)

6.Clifton Geathers

7.Dwight Freeney, Still has good but not elite pass rushing ability in him in my opinion but at 32 and soon to be 33 the time has passed for him in terms of him having to learn a new defense and rethink his instincts to pass rush but now also play the run, Great Colt, will miss him, cant wait for him to retire to say goodbye properly but situations change and unfortunately Freeney nor anyone else can turn back the clock, if we could then I could see him getting this new defense he is in in time, unfortunately ya just cant

Resign-

1.Donnie Avery-Not a great route runner or perfect hands but he has been as productive through 11 games as I thought he would be all year long and he has remained healthy this year, Would like him to find the end zone more because he has alot of potential in my opinion and its not all coming out

2.A.Q Shipley-Has not played eye popping but has played much better then the current starter Satele in my opinion, at least Shipley has balance which if you focus on Satele you can clearly see he leans to far forward off the snap of the ball and is not nearly as physical as advertised (and looking at a few games that Oakland played last year you can see the same thing)

3.Fili Moala-Was not playing spectacular but was coming along well in the new scheme, would be a decent starter if we did not get a 3-4 DE in the draft or FA, If we did go the draft route for that position then he would be a solid backup option

4.Antonio Johnson (we dont know when Chapman will be able to play or how good he will be after injury,) also Mckinney is a huge man who injured his knee who was not even real good pre injury, Tevasue is also in the last year of his deal as well, Johnson while not our NT of the future is still our best backup option for the future unless we take a NT in the draft somewhere or in FA.

5.Josh Gordy-Has not done much thats relevant this year outside of a sack vs Jacksonville but he is still young, aggressive Corner who is not afraid to jump a route and can blitz from the Nickel, I'd keep him on a minimal deal for depth and see what he can do with it in a 2nd year in this system

6.Darius Butler-showed flashes of very good talent vs Jax with 2 picks and then followed that up with a forced fumble vs New England, Could be a #2 perhaps but I'd bring him back to compete with Gordy for Nickel

7.Winston Justice-While not the answer going forward, he could provide us with some sort of decent depth

8.Drew Stanton-Outside of Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Matt Moore Drew Stanton would be the best option as a backup QB behind Luck. I'd be alright with Batch or Stanton or Moore but will stick with Stanton

9.Jeff Linkenbach- While Link has no business at Right Tackle he has played pretty decent at Guard and would provide us with some decent depth, nothing great but I wouldnt be worried if he was subbed in at RG or LG

10.Matt Overton-ya need a long snapper and Im not investing money in another guy just to hike a ball on field goals, he is cheap, he stays for now.

11.Pat Mcafee-Good but not a great Punter and is a pretty good tackler (unfortunately we have seen that one to many times)

12.Moise Fokou-Nothing spectacular about him, Seems to be a thumper, not good in coverage but has done pretty decent when called upon to play, saves us from having to unnecessarily go for depth

Releasing

1.Tevasue

2.Hickman (I think we will be looking elsewhere for a backup but to me can be a Wild Card in terms of staying or going)

3.Tony Hills

4.Cassius Vaughn

5.Mario Harvey ( I think he is a heavy hitter though and do like him)

6.Clifton Geathers

7.Dwight Freeney, Still has good but not elite pass rushing ability in him in my opinion but at 32 and soon to be 33 the time has passed for him in terms of him having to learn a new defense and rethink his instincts to pass rush but now also play the run, Great Colt, will miss him, cant wait for him to retire to say goodbye properly but situations change and unfortunately Freeney nor anyone else can turn back the clock, if we could then I could see him getting this new defense he is in in time, unfortunately ya just cant

FA Signings

1.Tracey Porter (4 years 2 million per year with signing bonus of 1 million

2.Arthur Jones 3 years 800,000 per year with signing bonus of 1 million

3.William Beatty 4 years 700,000 per year with 500,000 signing bonus

4.Kenny Phillips 2 years 2.5 million per year with 2 million signing bonus

5.Eben Britton 4 years 4 million guaranteed 2 million signing bonus

Forgot, Add Powers to the release list

Powers doesn't need to be released his contract will be up after this year.

Also, Avery sucks, sort of.........Hilton almost has matching stats despite not being the starter or catching any passes in two games this year.

But I think the knock on Hilton for you would be his 2 in 15 pound differential from Avery.

Powers doesn't need to be released his contract will be up after this year.

Also, Avery sucks, sort of.........Hilton almost has matching stats despite not being the starter or catching any passes in two games this year.

But I think the knock on Hilton for you would be his 2 in 15 pound differential from Avery.

I like Avery, yardage and catch wise he has outplayed T.Y. and while Avery has dropped a couple this year T.Y. has dropped some easy ones

I like Avery, yardage and catch wise he has outplayed T.Y. and while Avery has dropped a couple this year T.Y. has dropped some easy ones

Avery came into camp uninjured and experienced. Hilton was a rookie and was injured. Since then, Hilton has managed to set 2 Colt's records halfway through his rookie season. That is quite an accomplishment, so I would NOT say Avery is outplaying him.