Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Release Jason Babin

krunk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if we put in a claim on him. We're ahead of the Patriots in waiver priority.

That would be good, but I have a feeling Grigs is going to pass on this one for some reason. My gut is telling me Babin just needs a change of environment. We do need some help getting to the q.b.

He is only good in the Wide 9 and is a locker room cancer according to most of those "experts" who have inside knowledge. There is a reason the Eagles just cut him and have little reason too, because they still will have to pay him if no one claims him .

The only place I've seen him called a cancer is on message boards like this one.

He's played and been productive in several different schemes, with several different coordinators and sets of teammates.

The Eagles won't owe him anything else after this release, whether he's claimed or not.

The only place I've seen him called a cancer is on message boards like this one.

He's played and been productive in several different schemes, with several different coordinators and sets of teammates.

The Eagles won't owe him anything else after this release, whether he's claimed or not.

Eagles will owe remaining balance of $5.6M salary, $1.64M, if he is not claimed on waivers.

Jason Babin was a nobody before he met Washburn, who followed him to Philly. So he never was in a different scheme when he was having success. It was always the wide 9.

I'd like it twice if I could.

I'm not really that knowledgeable about this stuff, but why wouldn't we just play a base 4-3 and move Freeney and Mathis back to their natural position at this point. It's not like losing a yard or so on average in run D would be the make or break for this D right now. The linebacker core is the only place left that there's depth, they'd adjust. Angry would get more snaps, and he can tackle. I'm waiting for 10 responses about how wrong I am. I can handle it! :thmup:

Eagles will owe remaining balance of $5.6M salary, $1.64M, if he is not claimed on waivers.

I misunderstood your point earlier. I thought you were saying they'd have cap obligations in future years. My mistake. Either way, I don't think they're hopping up and down over the potential of saving $1.64m on the cap over the next five weeks. They don't have plans on using that money elsewhere.

The monetary considerations with respect to Babin's contract are completely related to 2013 and 2014. The Eagles currently have close to $140m committed to the cap in 2013. The salary cap is expected to stay somewhat flat; I think it will come in at less than $125m, and that's probably being ambitious. The Eagles releasing Babin is just them getting a head start on shedding payroll for next season. So the idea of potential savings against the cap for the remainder of 2012 probably wasn't very high on their list in making this decision.

Jason Babin was a nobody before he met Washburn, who followed him to Philly. So he never was in a different scheme when he was having success. It was always the wide 9.

Define "nobody."

He was a productive player for the Texans, where he was both a pass rushing OLB and a 4-3 end. Not a Pro Bowler, not a defensive leader, but a productive player. As a rotational pass rusher, he had 124 tackles, 13 sacks and two forced fumbles in 43 games through his first three seasons. He took off when he got with Washburn in Tennessee, but that's not the first time he contributed.

Besides that, we play Freeney and Mathis in plenty of wide nine alignments over the past few weeks.

I'm not campaigning for Babin. I just don't think the resistance to adding him is logical. He's a talented player who would come with little cost and less risk, and we need all the talent we can get.

That would be good, but I have a feeling Grigs is going to pass on this one for some reason. My gut is telling me Babin just needs a change of environment. We do need some help getting to the q.b.

No one gets his free pass out by quitting on his teammates and not suffer repercussions from the guys on other teams. How long before he decides to quit on you too? All these ex Eagles coming out and railing on him now. I knew there was a steaming pile under the underbrush.

I hope Grigson stays away... far away.

Over the last 3 seasons 2 players have more sacks than Babin. Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware.

He's cheap and has talent. I'm with Supe on this one. I'm not going to start a rally to bring him here. But he could help this team, and his signing wouldn't hurt us in the slightest.

He could even be a stop gap for the Dwight-less years ahead, preventing us from having to use a pick on a DE, OLB.

Over the last 3 seasons 2 players have more sacks than Babin. Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware.

He's cheap and has talent. I'm with Supe on this one. I'm not going to start a rally to bring him here. But he could help this team, and his signing wouldn't hurt us in the slightest.

He could even be a stop gap for the Dwight-less years ahead, preventing us from having to use a pick on a DE, OLB.

Simply put, he'd be value added to our D. As far as that locker room stuff, I think ours can handle it. He was on Sirius yesterday and would not say a bad word about anyone. He also said he expects his contract to be reworked next year by whoever picks him up.

I doubt we'll get him, but I don't see a downside if we did.

No one gets his free pass out by quitting on his teammates and not suffer repercussions from the guys on other teams. How long before he decides to quit on you too? All these ex Eagles coming out and railing on him now. I knew there was a steaming pile under the underbrush.

I hope Grigson stays away... far away.

Where are you getting this quitting on his team mates thing from? Did you get that from his team mates? Show me an article or an interview please. Some kind of proof.

He's a one trick pony that can't even do his one trick in a system designed for him to do so, and a locker room problem.

At 4:00 pm today he will clear waivers and try to strike a huge dollar multiyear deal with someone. I hope dearly it is not us.

Actually both seasons he started every game he had over 10 sacks and 18 last year, Starting helps a player get into the game much easier and faster then being subbed in and out and not getting any rhythm or feel for the game

13 sacks in 43 games is not that good. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but it would have to be next to nothing. He brings nothing to the table unless we use him in pass rushing only situations. We also have no clue how he will fit into the 3-4 D.

He was a rotational player. Jerry Hughes has 5 sacks in 35 games, four of them in his last 11. Not that Jerry Hughes is the measuring stick, but my point is simply that for a rotational pass rusher, that's a decent level of production. And that also answers how he would likely fit into our defense, since the Texans were using him as pass rushing linebacker for his first two seasons.

There's nothing wrong with using him in pass rushing only situations. I don't understand why we'd try to use him for anything else.

The price tag is also pretty cheap, at $1.64m for the remainder of the season. We can easily absorb that. And there's no risk. If we waive him in two weeks and no one claims him, we'd have to swallow the remaining $1m or so. If we release him after the season or anytime before Week 1 of 2013, there's no commitment moving forward.

We're in a 4-3, or at least a hybrid version, more than we're in a 3-4. A great pass rusher fits any system.

he has been released from every team (or didnt sign a new contract) for a reason.I think i read he is 3rd in sacks for the last 6 years yet he is either released or not resigned.

he is a situational pas rusher, who sucks vs the run, we already have freeney on that role :)

Yup! I think Freeman makes what, $375k this year??

Enough said.

The talk of money is just plain silly IMHO. if the Colts can afford him without jeopardizing the future and he helps the team, how can that possibly be bad? How his salary compares to anyone else's is irrelevant. He's not a quitter, he's a lights out player in practice and on games. He's also opinionated, and if you've ever been around Philly fans you probably agree with his tweets the got him in trouble.

As far as him being a one trick pony, so what? It's a trick every team can use. I doubt we'll get him after just filling our roster but I don't understand why anyone would complain about improving the team. As the Giants have shown, you can't have too many pass rushers.

I misunderstood your point earlier. I thought you were saying they'd have cap obligations in future years. My mistake. Either way, I don't think they're hopping up and down over the potential of saving $1.64m on the cap over the next five weeks. They don't have plans on using that money elsewhere.

By the way, I think the Eagles are free and clear on Babin either way. According to Ross Tucker, Babin has already claimed termination pay once in his career, which means he doesn't get anything from the Eagles if he clears waivers. I don't know how or if that affects their cap for 2012, but they evidently won't be paying him the $1.64m.

https://twitter.com/...526849458540544

The talk of money is just plain silly IMHO. if the Colts can afford him without jeopardizing the future and he helps the team, how can that possibly be bad? How his salary compares to anyone else's is irrelevant. He's not a quitter, he's a lights out player in practice and on games. He's also opinionated, and if you've ever been around Philly fans you probably agree with his tweets the got him in trouble.

As far as him being a one trick pony, so what? It's a trick every team can use. I doubt we'll get him after just filling our roster but I don't understand why anyone would complain about improving the team. As the Giants have shown, you can't have too many pass rushers.

We have a one trick pony now that makes too much already. Freeney.

This is all moot anyways since we've already filled our 53 spot roster.