Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Release Jason Babin

krunk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His salary for this season is 5 million. I say only do it if he clears waivers. Here is the break down of his contract. If we claim him we are responsible for any cap hits./29/2011: Signed a five-year, $27.725 million contract. The deal contains $5.5 million guaranteed, including a $1 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $4 million. 2012: $5.575 million, 2013: $4.225 million, 2014-2015: $6 million, 2016: Free Agent

NO no and more no. He is awful. He doesn't care about doing anything against the run, and only cares about his own sack numbers. Guy is a selfish me-type player that isn't concerned with the team's success. We don't need those type of players on this team. He's not even getting to the qb in a system that is built for just that.

I'm not sure if he would be able to transition smoothly into our scheme at this point in the year, but I think it's worth a look considering he had 18 sacks last year. I'm not sure how much weight I put on his perfomance this year considering how bad the Eagles are as a team.

Eh Babin was good for a couple years.

I would personally not want to, and I don't think we have the cap space this year. Although if this guy was let go by the Eagles, then that is a red flag

I don't think it's that big of a red flag. It's starting to become clear that the Eagles are going into rebuilding mode. They are clearing out older players, and trimming contracts. They are in the same position we were in last year with some differences.

Eh Babin was good for a couple years.

I would personally not want to, and I don't think we have the cap space this year. Although if this guy was let go by the Eagles, then that is a red flag

Babin had 18 sacks as recent as last year.

It's b/c of the wide 9 system. Babin doesnt play the run at all and only tries to get a sack for himself. His tape now allows offenses to remove him from the game essentially. He's one of the biggest reasons the eagles have been bad on D this year. He also blames everything on the media or the fans and takes zero accountability. He thinks there's nothing wrong with the eagles D lol.

Well that is pretty good but that was for a mostly 4-3 team, I don't think he would fit in our system. And as one of the other posters stated, he is not a team guy.

I don't think it's that big of a red flag. It's starting to become clear that the Eagles are going into rebuilding mode. They are clearing out older players, and trimming contracts. They are in the same position we were in last year with some differences.

I say it is a red flag because the Eagles are 3-8, I would think that releasing Babin is a sign that he wasn't a team player and watching the game last night, he didn't have any energy for the game, well the whole team didn't have any passion for winning.

I would rather not waste cap space that we don't have now to bring in a guy who doesn't have a passion for the game or the team.

Well that is pretty good but that was for a mostly 4-3 team, I don't think he would fit in our system. And as one of the other posters stated, he is not a team guy.

I say it is a red flag because the Eagles are 3-8, I would think that releasing Babin is a sign that he wasn't a team player and watching the game last night, he didn't have any energy for the game, well the whole team didn't have any passion for winning.

I would rather not waste cap space that we don't have now to bring in a guy who doesn't have a passion for the game or the team.

I said it's worth a look. I didn't say we should rush out and sign him asap. Earlier in the thread I posted my concerns about a scheme change being an issue. Although I do believe that we play more 4-3 than 3-4 with most NFL teams utilizing the pass now days you have to counter that with Nickel, or Dime in most cases. That will leave you playing 4-3.

Babin does not play for the Colts, so I can't vouch for what the other Colt fan said in this thread about his attitude and demeanor. It could be very far from the truth. Abnormal things happen during a losing season. I haven't seen anything in the media dogging Babin for his attitude.

NO no and more no. He is awful. He doesn't care about doing anything against the run, and only cares about his own sack numbers. Guy is a selfish me-type player that isn't concerned with the team's success. We don't need those type of players on this team. He's not even getting to the qb in a system that is built for just that.

That all sounds vaguely like a player we currently have on our team......A certain Pro Bowler I believe, except neither are Babin or this player awful not to mention our system is built for that exact same thing while suppose to be better at stopping the run as well

I said it's worth a look. I didn't say we should rush out and sign him asap. Earlier in the thread I posted my concerns about a scheme change being an issue. Although I do believe that we play more 4-3 than 3-4 with most NFL teams utilizing the pass now days you have to counter that with Nickel, or Dime in most cases. That will leave you playing 4-3.

Babin does not play for the Colts, so I can't vouch for what the other Colt fan said in this thread about his attitude and demeanor. It could be very far from the truth. Abnormal things happen during a losing season. I haven't seen anything in the media dogging Babin for his attitude.

I understand what you are saying. I am sure the guy plays a mean 4-3 DE on a team that had a bad defensive coach. Right now, I think it would be a little bit too late to bring him in because one guy could kill the whole chemistry of the team.

I could very well be far from the truth, but I have only seen him play and it just doesn't seem like he is playing to the best of his ability. Even though we were 2-14 last year, Reggie still had around 1,000 yards receiving, so I don't believe that just because the team is losing doesn't mean you still can't go out and give it your all.

National media only likes to praise andy reid and talk about how disappointing the eagles are. They don't dive into the reasons why the team is performing bad. It's guys like Babin (not just him, plenty of other guys like him, especially on that defense) who take zero accountability about their performance that caused the eagles to be one of the worst teams. He came on a radio philly station here and said that there wasn't anything wrong with their defense, they were just a play here or a play there away from winning the game. When asked about the lack of team sacks, said that it wasn't a problem. Teams were just blocking them more (which isn't true at all). You lead the league in sacks, then the next you are 28th with even better defensive line personnel, and that's not a problem??? He then went on to bash the philly fans, and made comments that got some national media outlets to go through the whole "philly fans are the worst blah blah blah stuff". I know he had 18 sacks last year, but on a young team like this, you don't want old not-team-orientated vets corrupting our young guys.

But that's just my opinion haha

Because they want to rebuild? Why, even we didn't blow up our team until the off season. So why does a guy get released this late in the season out of the blue off a downright stInky team? Time tells the truth.

Or, the truth is at the beginning of that steam vapor trail. I'm not following it, afraid of what kind of pile resides at the bottom. :yuk:

National media only likes to praise andy reid and talk about how disappointing the eagles are. They don't dive into the reasons why the team is performing bad. It's guys like Babin (not just him, plenty of other guys like him, especially on that defense) who take zero accountability about their performance that caused the eagles to be one of the worst teams. He came on a radio philly station here and said that there wasn't anything wrong with their defense, they were just a play here or a play there away from winning the game. When asked about the lack of team sacks, said that it wasn't a problem. Teams were just blocking them more (which isn't true at all). You lead the league in sacks, then the next you are 28th with even better defensive line personnel, and that's not a problem??? He then went on to bash the philly fans, and made comments that got some national media outlets to go through the whole "philly fans are the worst blah blah blah stuff". I know he had 18 sacks last year, but on a young team like this, you don't want old not-team-orientated vets corrupting our young guys.

But that's just my opinion haha

I didn't see anything in your comments that relates to a "Me First" selfish type of non-team player. The man according to your comments(not the actual interview) made statements on the overall state of the defense. It seems he felt there were some issues here or there, but nothing that demands an over haul at the time he made the statements. I've seen the Colts under Dungy in the Tampa 2 get SMOKED on defense, and Dungy would calmly say "It's not a big problem" "Guys just need to get off the ball faster" and everyone on the forum would explode because we felt there was much more wrong with the D than that same line Dungy always gave.

The comment you say Babin gave seems like the same type to me.

Yeah, let's pick up 2M to have a two hit wonder (yeah I made up a term) who's underperforming this year.

The Colts would not use him, and guess what, I would rather have Hughes over Babin, just because of Hughes' familiarity with the system and he hasn't been doing terribly in it.

He is talking on NFL Live right now and sounds like a professional said quick drop back releases have affected his numbers and said only positive comments about teammates and coaching imo.

lol he was taking shots at his other teammates. When he was saying he didn't have opportunity to sack the qb, he was implying that was due to three reasons: the first because they were doing a quicker release of the ball, the second because the backfield wasn't being covered well so he couldnt get a sack on the qb since the ball was already completed to a wide open guy (first and second implications tied together), and the third is that when he said "they didn't need to score much" he meant that their O wasn't putting up points. The last 5 games, they eagles have been giving up 30+ points every game with the qb passing a ton every game and not even getting touched. There was plenty of opportunity to get a sack, and more importantly affect the opposing qb by producing some amount of pressure.

Even though we're not using the "rebuilding" term, we're just not in a must-win-now phase where we need pick up a short-term solution like Babin before our window closes.

Too bad the Eagles D seems to be getting scapegoated here...first they fire Castillo, then cut Babin. The first move certainly didn't work out for them lol, but it's tough for that D to get any worse so I guess freeing the money up now could make sense.

Because we all know that he's a situational rusher like Babin and nowhere near the talent that Babin is. Seems pretty straightforward.

It took Babin 7 years before he had his 12.5 season followed by his monster 18 sack season a year later, Hughes is in the first year of a role that fits him more and his duties are more then rush the passer, If we pick up Babin then we would likely put him in Freeney's role and there would be little point in swapping one 32 year old vet for another in this case except to lessen the cap hit that will ultimately tally up to 14 million (we've done ate most of that whats 6 more weeks of it to finish it off)

Two points:

1) We've been playing a lot more four down defensive sets over the past couple of games.

2) Babin's contract would come with minimal cap pain moving forward, and releasing him at the end of this season wouldn't have any negative cap ramifications moving forward.

I think he'd fit, but I don't think he'd make us better. He's a talented player, and he knows how to rush the passer, so he wouldn't hurt. And he's in game shape, unlike someone who has been sitting on the waiver wire or on a practice squad for several weeks. According to Spotrac, we have about $8.3m in cap space right now, so his prorated cap hit of $2m wouldn't preclude us from adding anyone else. If it works out, great, we have him under contract for two more years at a manageable cap hit. If not, oh well, move on.

I'm not campaigning for it, but I could see it being a good move.

Good scary.. It would improve this teams D depth instantly.. He is far superior to Hughes.

As a 4-3 defensive end. And I would further qualify that by saying that he has been far superior to Hughes. He's been average this year, and at a different position. I don't think his play merited a release; I don't know what's going on with the Eagles right now. But his past ten or twelve games have been kind of "meh."

Also worth noting: The Texans drafted Babin under Dom Capers, who tried to convert him to a 3-4 OLB (he was a 4-3 end in college). Babin played two years as a linebacker in Capers defense. He wasn't anything special in that role, but perhaps a role as a situational pass rusher in our hybrid defense wouldn't be very foreign to him at all.