Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman to IR [Merge]

ar1888

If Chapman proves to be what they think he can, this will not be a wasted pick.

There are always going to be picks we don't agree with. But to use this hindsight 20/20 crap is pathetic. I won't believe the Chapman pick is a reason to not draft someone in hopes that they will recover. We basically mortgaged a 5th rounder in hopes that he'd be a 1st/2nd round talent for us in the future. Given the guys that went up there, I'd like to think that, if healthy, Chapman would have been a stronger candidate that some that were selected way ahead of him. But, given his injury, he fell... a long ways.

But, further, this guy is a football player whose desire to win a championship outweighed his desire to be drafted higher in the NFL draft. The staff here seems to desire players that are not only talented, but truly desire to be something great. Luck is absolutely that type of player. A guy like Jamarcus Russell clearly wasn't.

All these things said, it is FAR too early to make the claim you did. Just because a guy like Dennard made a pick or two this year, I am not going to declare this a busted pick. Chapman has plenty of time to pan out, and I think this team loves what they got with that pick, even if he has yet to see the field on game day.

Speaking for myself here, I really liked the Chapman pick. I won't fault it even if he never plays a down. But come 7th round, Alphonzo Dennard is on the board, and we pick Tim Fugger. That is my only real complaint in the draft. It's not even a hindsight 20/20 argument when a lot of us wanted him back in April.

Speaking for myself here, I really liked the Chapman pick. I won't fault it even if he never plays a down. But come 7th round, Alphonzo Dennard is on the board, and we pick Tim Fugger. That is my only real complaint in the draft. It's not even a hindsight 20/20 argument when a lot of us wanted him back in April.

While I agree that it would have been a good talent pick, I just don't see a team that needs so much risking it on a > like that. He got in trouble a WEEK or two before the draft. If you can't keep it together prior to that, when you're a potential 1st/2nd/3rd round type of talent, whats to say you won't have problems later in the season, and major ones at that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see us get a talented corner somewhere, but I am just not sure Dennard is going to pan out in the long term.

Also, we've gotten extremely lucky with some of our FA acquisitions at LB. Fugger may well have panned out, and to an extent he did. Just not enough so to keep.

Also, to me, it seems Grigs has done a great job using trades and the FA market to bring in corners to round out our squad with some promising younger players. These guys may not be long term answers, but they are certainly better than a lot of what we had last year. When your starting corner is Jacob Lacey... that says something.

While I agree that it would have been a good talent pick, I just don't see a team that needs so much risking it on a > like that. He got in trouble a WEEK or two before the draft. If you can't keep it together prior to that, when you're a potential 1st/2nd/3rd round type of talent, whats to say you won't have problems later in the season, and major ones at that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see us get a talented corner somewhere, but I am just not sure Dennard is going to pan out in the long term.

Also, we've gotten extremely lucky with some of our FA acquisitions at LB. Fugger may well have panned out, and to an extent he did. Just not enough so to keep.

Also, to me, it seems Grigs has done a great job using trades and the FA market to bring in corners to round out our squad with some promising younger players. These guys may not be long term answers, but they are certainly better than a lot of what we had last year. When your starting corner is Jacob Lacey... that says something.

I'd say Lacey and Vaughn are on equal footing talent wise, neither look like they should see the field although Lacey has managed a pick this year in 6 starts and Vaughn hasn't had 1 in 6 starts and only 4 pass defensed as well while almost guaranteeing to draw at least 1 penalty per game

If Chapman proves to be what they think he can, this will not be a wasted pick.

There are always going to be picks we don't agree with. But to use this hindsight 20/20 crap is pathetic. I won't believe the Chapman pick is a reason to not draft someone in hopes that they will recover. We basically mortgaged a 5th rounder in hopes that he'd be a 1st/2nd round talent for us in the future. Given the guys that went up there, I'd like to think that, if healthy, Chapman would have been a stronger candidate that some that were selected way ahead of him. But, given his injury, he fell... a long ways.

But, further, this guy is a football player whose desire to win a championship outweighed his desire to be drafted higher in the NFL draft. The staff here seems to desire players that are not only talented, but truly desire to be something great. Luck is absolutely that type of player. A guy like Jamarcus Russell clearly wasn't.

All these things said, it is FAR too early to make the claim you did. Just because a guy like Dennard made a pick or two this year, I am not going to declare this a busted pick. Chapman has plenty of time to pan out, and I think this team loves what they got with that pick, even if he has yet to see the field on game day.

Potential and possibilities only get us so far, especially when we have only 4 picks "potentially" (if we dont give up a 6th for Vontae Davis) in the upcoming draft. Best ability is availability first. We better hit a few home runs in free agency with our dead cap space coming off.

No, it is not hindsight speaking for me. I did not want Chapman then because of his injury, and I did want a CB then and that is why I felt we could have gotten a CB that could have contributed instead of us doing a russian roulette with guys off the streets. Granted that Grigson has done a great job on the LB front and good job on the DL/DB front to keep the defense afloat but I am not willing to cut him slack on the Chapman pick. Sorry, I am not.

If Chapman does turn out to be a 1st/2nd round type talent, I would be glad to come back and eat crow but I seriously doubt it will happen. I was hard on the Manusky hire, and then did come back crediting Manusky for doing more than we expected on the defensive front. I will do the same for Chapman as well.

Well, it's not like he was going to come in and have an immediate impact.

When we drafted him, we knew of his injury and we knew that he was a longterm project. Even if healthy, I couldn't imagine him playing too much this year.

I think the year off, a year to get familiar with the system and the team is what he needs. Rest up that knee and come back next year. Think of longterm not short term.

We did the same thing with Bob and got a few years out of him. I personally think Bob was worth it and I think Chapman will be worth it.

If we win a SB with Chapman being a key part of it and Chapman wins defensive player of year or gets to the Pro Bowl, yep, it would be worth it. :)

We will find out next year.

If we win a SB with Chapman being a key part of it and Chapman wins defensive player of year or gets to the Pro Bowl, yep, it would be worth it. :)

We will find out next year.

Just too bad, had high hopes for him esp playing on it last year when injured and then getting it fixed

Hes still a beast if comes back healthy, maybe its karma and a year removed will prove him in great shape

I would rather an injury in practice than a big one from stress of playing to early that could of proven career ending

Well on the plus side, I get some peace of mind know Chapman now has a lot more time to get his knee back 100% and while I'm sure he wishes he could be out there, at least he's going to remain optimistic about his future.

Josh Chapman@The_Boss61

Injured Reserve For the rest of the season now it's just time to get this knee to a 100% so it's Beast Mode come next season.#COLTSTRONG

it's been said a million times...but dennard punched a cop just before he was about to became a wealthy young man. not sure i would want someone that stupid on my team.

Potential and possibilities only get us so far, especially when we have only 4 picks "potentially" (if we dont give up a 6th for Vontae Davis) in the upcoming draft. Best ability is availability first. We better hit a few home runs in free agency with our dead cap space coming off.

No, it is not hindsight speaking for me. I did not want Chapman then because of his injury, and I did want a CB then and that is why I felt we could have gotten a CB that could have contributed instead of us doing a russian roulette with guys off the streets. Granted that Grigson has done a great job on the LB front and good job on the DL/DB front to keep the defense afloat but I am not willing to cut him slack on the Chapman pick. Sorry, I am not.

If Chapman does turn out to be a 1st/2nd round type talent, I would be glad to come back and eat crow but I seriously doubt it will happen. I was hard on the Manusky hire, and then did come back crediting Manusky for doing more than we expected on the defensive front. I will do the same for Chapman as well.

You are aware of a guy called Drew Brees, right? Closer to home, how about Edgerrin James? Coming back from injury is not some mystical magical feat these days. It surely takes effort, but the amount of importance in sports medicine these days is truly astonishing.

So when you say that this is russian roulette with a guy off the street... you do realize that this guy more or less dominated in the SEC while suffering from a pretty major ailment. So when healthy, one might think he could contribute in a large way at the next level.

In any case, the lower rounds (5-7 in my book) are purely gambles on every, single pick. To me, the Chapman pick is exciting for what the potential could be.

As for free agency, I'd be willing to bet we hit that fairly hard.

• 2 months later...
Any news on how he is progressing--could he realistically be used as a DE?

No news that I'm aware of how he's progressing....

But, he's under 6'1" and weighs 315....   he's built like a side-by-side refrigerator...   He's got no athletic moves to get to a QB the way a DE would.    His whole game is power and short area quickness.    He was born and made for the Nose...   that's where he'll play...

And, despite frustrations over his inability to play this year, I expect him to play and play pretty well in 2013 and beyond....

Might as well count Chapman and Davis as 2013 draft picks...     they were future gambles.     And I think they both will turn out golden.

Chap nearly made it back last season.    But they took the cautious route.       He will be ready in 13.

IF....  Chapman comes through the 2012 draft of Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Brazill,  Ballard, Chapman will go down as one of the great Colt drafts of all time.

If Chapman is like any of the colts other draft picks from this past year, I am excited to see him play... Grigs has proved to me he has an eye for talent

IF....  Chapman comes through the 2012 draft of Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Brazill,  Ballard, Chapman will go down as one of the great Colt drafts of all time.

As I've heard others say, forget it going down as one of the greatest 'Colts' drafts of all time, it will go down as one of the great NFL drafts of all time!!!