Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman to IR [Merge]

ar1888

That is the reason you dont draft someone hoping they will recover to play at a high level because sometimes, you can exceed your own expectations. We now did, are on the verge of the playoffs, and could have used more production from the Chapman pick, the Fugger pick, and the Anderson pick, IMO. 3 picks where we could have gone for a CB, IMO.

You can always scour waiver wires for above average DLs because those limited down DLs are on waiver wires (like we got Tevaseu etc.) and PS squads all the time. But you rarely see above average DBs on practice squads and waiver wires, plus the Colts have a higher rate of injury to DBs than most teams in the league the last 5 years, so we could have used more draft picks there. Yes, Darius Butler is the exception to the norm but then, folks like Tevaseu, AJ were all picked up from waiver wire or other teams' practice squads.

That is the reason you dont draft someone hoping they will recover to play at a high level because sometimes, you can exceed your own expectations. We now did, are on the verge of the playoffs, and could have used more production from the Chapman pick, the Fugger pick, and the Anderson pick, IMO. 3 picks where we could have gone for a CB, IMO.

You can always scour waiver wires for above average DLs because those limited down DLs are on waiver wires (like we got Tevaseu etc.) and PS squads all the time. But you rarely see above average DBs on practice squads and waiver wires, plus the Colts have a higher rate of injury to DBs than most teams in the league the last 5 years, so we could have used more draft picks there. Yes, Darius Butler is the exception to the norm but then, folks like Tevaseu, AJ were all picked up from waiver wire or other teams' practice squads.

If Chapman proves to be what they think he can, this will not be a wasted pick.

There are always going to be picks we don't agree with. But to use this hindsight 20/20 crap is pathetic. I won't believe the Chapman pick is a reason to not draft someone in hopes that they will recover. We basically mortgaged a 5th rounder in hopes that he'd be a 1st/2nd round talent for us in the future. Given the guys that went up there, I'd like to think that, if healthy, Chapman would have been a stronger candidate that some that were selected way ahead of him. But, given his injury, he fell... a long ways.

But, further, this guy is a football player whose desire to win a championship outweighed his desire to be drafted higher in the NFL draft. The staff here seems to desire players that are not only talented, but truly desire to be something great. Luck is absolutely that type of player. A guy like Jamarcus Russell clearly wasn't.

All these things said, it is FAR too early to make the claim you did. Just because a guy like Dennard made a pick or two this year, I am not going to declare this a busted pick. Chapman has plenty of time to pan out, and I think this team loves what they got with that pick, even if he has yet to see the field on game day.

I was expecting that to happen at some point after he wasn't at least brought in after he was eligible after 6 weeks, Well only his rookie year so no need to panic, with that said with the position that he plays or hopefully eventually will that would put alot of stress on the knee (I would think because he would be trying to hold the weight of 600 pounds or more between 2 or more O Linemen)Our best scenario would have been to get a look at him on the field this year to see if NT is an absolute need going forward in the near future or if he was capable of being the force he was at Alabama.For me if I was Grigson (Because its ultimately his call since he is the GM)this setback doesn't change anything simply because this is Chapmans rookie year. Im still looking at NT through the draft in the late rounds. A shame this happened with Chapman, he is a good guy and when healthy or if healthy he could help the team a great deal.....All of this my opinion of course.....We could ask our ourselves until we are blue in the face if he was a wasted pick(Its to early for that answer) but NT was a big need and he was considered one of the best available if not the best when healthy so I dont blame Grigson for taking that gamble, at the time I thought everyone thought he would be back at some point and that Mookie (and what was Mckinney at the time) could hold down the fort but this is what the great GM's are paid to do and thats not bank your hopes that a player will be healthy at some point without having a fall back plan...It will be interesting to see how things unfold going forward.....Hope for the best plan for the worst, that applies both in life and as a GM.....I'd like to believe Grigson thinks like that