Football Outsider: Colts playoff pretenders

ColtsBlueFL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not saying we will make any kind of noise in the playoffs, but I remember in 2009 when the Cardinals made the playoffs everyone wrote them off. They ended up almost winning the Super Bowl. They had Fitzgerald, and a veteran Kurt Warner I know but they were considered D.O.A. by the media as well. Playoffs are bizarro-world any ways.

Hey I remember the 1995 Colts stunning their way to nearly a SB.......

It can happen. Not saying it will but in a one and done playoff format sometimes the ball can have a funny way of bouncing in the biggest games.....

And as Colts fans we know all too well what it is like to be expected to contend and fall short.

Win or lose this year, if we are in the playoffs I will just simply enjoy the ride regardless of how long it lasts.

Playoffs are bizarro-world any ways.

In '95, the average fan probably didn't even realize the Colts were in the playoffs.

Also, this is a young team not incapable of making a leap over the next month or so. If, offensively, they play a clean game and finish drives, they could be a handful.

It's nice that Colts have played well enough this year and exceeded the expectations to prompt somebody to write an article like this ( duh..) and fans to get offended by it.

Honestly, if this article was written during the Manning years I could understand but to be written this year..... it makes the author look a little bit silly and having better to do with his professional time.

I'd agree with that. I can't see us beating Denver or NE. But I want Denver................bad

Not that I think this team has the talent to go far in the post season (if we get there) but I'd love a shot at Denver. I'm really happy for PM and the success he's having in Denver but I would welcome a nice windy , cold , blustery day. You need to have a QB with a strong arm that can spiral the ball. IMO this could be a huge equalizer. To take a step further , it's going to be hard for Denver to win two games in late Dec.- January figuring the games will be in NE , Balt or Denver.

This probably wont go over well but he's right if you are talking about the Colts chances to do anything in the playoffs.

This team is not built to play with teams like Denver, Baltimore, Houston, and New England yet and we saw that first hand when we went to New England two weeks ago. Frankly we've played three playoff teams this year and we got blown out by two of them on the road while getting owned by the Packers for a half in the other game. So of the six halves of football we have played this year against playoff teams we've gotten beaten soundly in five of the six halves this year.

We are very much a product of our last place schedule but you know what we were 2-14 last year we were supposed to have an easy schedule. This team has gotten better because we are beating teams we couldn't beat last year and it has improved to the point where they are probably going to the playoffs. They will probably be one and done but this isn't like the Peyton Manning teams during the prime of their careers where it was a let down when they lost in the playoffs because we expected them to do great things. This is a team whose victory is just getting the playoffs because they are well ahead of schedule of where they should be.

Making the playoffs would be huge for this team because it gives them experience of playing a playoff game and going threw the playoff hunt and that is invaluable experience that you can only get by going threw it.

First, I have to agree with the article, although it really downplays the accomplishments of this team. If and when they make the playoffs they will be a huge underdog and understandably so. They haven't been very successful on the road, infact, minus Tennesee and Jacksonville, they have been plain out bad.

However, this is nothing to get down about. As others have said, going from 2-14 to making the playoffs in the NFL in one year is a huge accomplishment. Most of the teams they have beaten have had losing records and haven't been dominant wins, but they were wins nonetheless. An interesting stat from the Panthers/ Eagles game, the Panthers have lost most of their last 19 losses in the last 4 minutes, so it can go both ways. I know it's overstated, but good teams find ways to win, and this team always(minus the fluke against Jacksonville) finds a way to win close games. That in it's own is very positive, and will come in handy when this team is an elite team playing the Patriots and down 24-21 going into the fourth quarter.

First, I have to agree with the article, although it really downplays the accomplishments of this team. If and when they make the playoffs they will be a huge underdog and understandably so. They haven't been very successful on the road, infact, minus Tennesee and Jacksonville, they have been plain out bad.

However, this is nothing to get down about. As others have said, going from 2-14 to making the playoffs in the NFL in one year is a huge accomplishment. Most of the teams they have beaten have had losing records and haven't been dominant wins, but they were wins nonetheless. An interesting stat from the Panthers/ Eagles game, the Panthers have lost most of their last 19 losses in the last 4 minutes, so it can go both ways. I know it's overstated, but good teams find ways to win, and this team always(minus the fluke against Jacksonville) finds a way to win close games. That in it's own is very positive, and will come in handy when this team is an elite team playing the Patriots and down 24-21 going into the fourth quarter.

and you can make a case that the Jags and Titans are two of the five worst teams in football. Not exactly impressive road wins but hey for a team that hadn't won a road game in over a year you had to start some place.

I'd agree with that. I can't see us beating Denver or NE. But I want Denver................bad

Honestly speaking I think we can beat NE..we got off to a very good start but then we just started to beat ourselves and New England capitalized..I see us most likely getting a rematch with them or playing the ravens..I kinda like our chances if we play one of those two..

Vince Verhei says we are not playoff caliber and destined for a quick and early exit.

http://insider.espn....ianapolis-colts

It's just jealously it runs rapped in the NFL circle. The fact that we got another great QB for years to come burns them up especially in a small market. I think if Pagano comes back at the end of this season it will be a great inspiration for this team and sky's the limit.

If this happens, I would just put Reggie on defense and hope that Manning throws it to him out of habit.

Yeah, only one problem... Reggie isn't exactly the fastest on our Roster. Doubt he gets a Pick 6 haha But hey, I'll take the turnover.

And at elast he'll be able to hold onto the ball unlike Mr. Zibikowski -___-

Who cares what this 2-bit hack thinks...... this team is fun to watch and exciting. More than we can say for last year. We're sitting here and talking playoffs....1 and done fine, I'll take that this year! This hack can call us pretenders, but we have a real shot, with a rookie QB, rookie front office, rookie head coach, followed by a rookie interim head coach, many more rookies on each side of the ball. If he wants to call us "Playoff pretenders" that is fine.....I can think of several names for him... More important is we all need to enjoy this, we are witnessing the building of a monster and a dynasty!

Play-off calibre meaning being good enough to get into the play-offs, or good enough to get beat in the first round? Like the One & Dungy's of the mid 00's? With Peyton?

It's all just clap-trap.

We COULD beat the Ravens anywhere. They are average. We could beat the Texans anywhere (see them v the Jags?). We could not beat the Patriots in Foxboro. Fact.

Who cares. We were 2-14 last year.

Fact is IF we were able to get the Ravens, Id like our chances. Broncos and Pats would just beat us up, unless it snows 24 inches in Foxboro and there are 100 mph winds in Denver.

If we do get the ravens and happen to win we would then face the Texans. Which would be our 3rd game against them in 5 weeks. I would assume it would be a close one and anything can happen against divisional opponents.

I know its all ifs and fan banter but its Tuesday...

I just hate when the term "playoff pretender" is being used for a team that is clearly in a great spot to earn a playoff spot. The Colts are 7-4 and currently hold great position in the playoff race with the #5 seed currently. To me that makes them playoff contenders because they have a great chance of making it into the playoffs.

But maybe I'm viewing the terms "playoff pretender / playoff contender" incorrectly. Either way, the way I interpret a playoff contender is this....

"a playoff contender is a team that has a litegimate chance of earning a playoff berth based on the teams record and current seeding at least midway through the regular season."

So the Colts are not playoff pretenders, but playoff contenders, because if the playoffs were to start this week, they'd be in.

However, while the Colts are playoff contenders (ie. legitimately contending for 1 of 6 playoff spots), I do not believe they are Superbowl contenders. This simply means that assuming the Colts make the playoffs, the odds are simply not in their favor to advance to the Superbowl.

However, at the beginning of the season the odds were against the Colts in every possible way. New front office, new coaching staff, young rookie team, etc. But look at where they are now. 7-4 and currently hold the 5th seed in the AFC.

IN OTHER WORDS: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!

I'll try and stick to the positives:

The last time I looked the Colts were 2-3 on the road. 2-0 in the division (The 06 Super Bowl team was 0-3 on the road in the divison and 0-4 on the road overall. We held a good Buffalo offense to 13 points and the win against Cleveland is looking better, given how they are playing.

I wouldn't mind going to Baltimore or New England. Denver and Houston scare me more.

I don't fear Baltimore's defense and I seriously doubt if New England is going to get 28 points directly off turnovers or returns again.

Do they have holes? Yes. Show me one complete team in the NFL that has no issues.

Does anyone remember the Seahawks making the playoffs with a 7-9 record and having no chance to beat the defending superbowl champ Saints?????

I sure do, and that one turned out 41-36 Seahawks....

Any given Sunday, anyone can beat anyone. All we gotta do is make the playoffs and then ANYTHING can happen.

With no dominate team in the NFL this year, I disagree with this. Any team can get hot in the playoffs and make a run. Falcons have been one and done for a while now and they're one of the better teams in the league. We will probably be playing Baltimore in the playoffs and that team is struggling on offense badly. They should've lost to the Chargers, but got a great spot on the 4th and 29 play. Broncos will be tough, that D is outstanding and that offense with Manning, well we know all that too well.

Does anyone remember the Seahawks making the playoffs with a 7-9 record and having no chance to beat the defending superbowl champ Saints?????

I sure do, and that one turned out 41-36 Seahawks....

Any given Sunday, anyone can beat anyone. All we gotta do is make the playoffs and then ANYTHING can happen.

That Seahawks team won the west with that record, so played at home. A little different scenario than the situation which faces the Colts, but you make a good point, with a great example.

With no dominate team in the NFL this year, I disagree with this. Any team can get hot in the playoffs and make a run. Falcons have been one and done for a while now and they're one of the better teams in the league. We will probably be playing Baltimore in the playoffs and that team is struggling on offense badly. They should've lost to the Chargers, but got a great spot on the 4th and 29 play. Broncos will be tough, that D is outstanding and that offense with Manning, well we know all that too well.

The article at least cautions the Falcons too, albeit it parenthetically, but they are a great example of a team which has the same functional results as the Colts, yet nobody is really calling them a pretender. Seven of the Falcons ten wins are by a TD or less. They have a schedule with as many playoff teams from last year as the Colts (so the horrible competition argument can be made for many teams). That article was useless. Telling everyone the Colts have overachieved and may well be the "worst" of the top 12 NFL teams isn't exactly a difficult position to take. The logic behind it, however, applies to a lot of teams besides the Colts.

So is New England a Super Bowl pretender since they lost there last two trips?

No because the writer is basing it on DVOA odds which I'm sure was higher for NE to make the SB than Indy.

However I agree the word pretender is insulting but such is the media.

Is the article accurate? very. should you be offended? no. We had a princess schedule in a cupcake conference and making the playoffs meant our plane didn't crash and we landed safely in each city we were supposed to.

The Colts were 2-14 last season and jettisoned arguably the greatest QB of all time. Just making the playoffs this season would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Last season really is no indication of anything. We have 60% players from our last superbowl appearence on our roster.

Well, considering that if we make the playoffs, our most likely wild card opponents are Peyton Manning and the Broncos.... Yeah, I don't see us winning that one....

This is becoming the number one reason why we shouldn't have cut him. How long before we can get past him? If we have to wait for PM to retire before we get to the superbowl, then we made the wrong choice, IMO.

We wont play Denver..

Look at Baltimore's schedule...(Pitt, Cincy, NE, Denver. NYGs) Denver's going to be 12-4 or 13-3..

Baltimore's probably going to be 11-5 at best...

Our most likely playoff foe is Baltimore..... at the No. 4 seed..if we are 10-6 and the No. 5

I agree. Baltimore loses 3 of those 5. We see Baltimore and they show us the door. Too bad. I'd rather it be PM to show Irsay the door this time.

It's nice that Colts have played well enough this year and exceeded the expectations to prompt somebody to write an article like this ( duh..) and fans to get offended by it.

Honestly, if this article was written during the Manning years I could understand but to be written this year..... it makes the author look a little bit silly and having better to do with his professional time.

Maybe the author reads these forums and thinks some of you need a wake up call.

I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows we're a one and done playoff team..just getting there is good enough for me..

I'll be happy when I have confidence in our team to win a Playoff game. Like how Denver fans will feel.

Be careful what you wish for. :funny: jk my friend.

I liked this but I would have liked it x10 if I could.

Manning was a pitiful 4-7 in 1st round Playoff games.

lmao Diehard Colts FANS say we have a BAD O-line, a not very good D-Line, and a POOR secondary, with Not Much of a Running Game.

But Playoff CONTENDERS!

And "better than given credit for because we have heart". No, worse than our record thanks to an easy schedule and brought together by an unusual circumstance.

Which is all good except for some heavy long term damage because of our draft position.