Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Road to the Playoffs.

SilentHill

Let's start off simple. We are at least 1 game up on everyone else for the wildcard.

7-4 Indianapolis Colts (@DET, TEN, @HOU, @KC, HOU)

There are 3 teams within 2 games back of us.

6-5 PIttsburgh Steelers (@BAL, SD, @DAL, CIN, CLE)

6-5 Cincinati Bengals (@SD, DAL, @PHI, @PIT, BAL)

5-6 Miami Dolphins (NE, @SF, JAC, BUF, @NE)

I'm going to exclude everyone that is more than 2 games back at this point. The advantages we have, are that we are 1 game up, CIN & PIT Play eachother, which is a loss in at least one of their columns.

Essentially, if we can just win 2 of our last 5 games, That would force Miami and either PIT/CIN to win out for the rest of the season (With the exception of the game against each other).

For sure, we can win at least two of those games, the home game against TEN seems the easiest, given our play at home this season (Should be undefeated if not for a late last second miracle TD from JAC)

It's also worth noting if we can squeak out 3 wins I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) we clinch a playoff birth, regardless of what happens.

It looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Also, just to beat a lot of people to the punch:

We have 3 games that this team SHOULD win. KC, Det, Ten are all bad teams that this team should handle easily. We could even sneak a win in against the Texans who look beatable and may have nothing to play for in week 17. Pittsburgh is toast without Big Ben, Bengals have a cake schedule left, Dolphins have a rough road ahead.

We have 3 games that this team SHOULD win. KC, Det, Ten are all bad teams that this team should handle easily. We could even sneak a win in against the Texans who look beatable and may have nothing to play for in week 17. Pittsburgh is toast without Big Ben, Bengals have a cake schedule left, Dolphins have a rough road ahead.

Not sure Vegas agrees with what you have...Doesnt copy well but what it says is all the books have Detroit a 4.5 to 5 point favotite

349 Indianapolis

350 Detroit

51u-10

-4½ -10

51u-10

-4½ -10

-4½ -10

-5 -10

51½u-10

-4½ -10

51u-10

-5 -10 TV: CBS, DTV: 710

If they get the game in Detroit, they will probably do it. If not, it's going to be a week-by-week, back-and-forth thing. We could very well be in a three-way tie after next weekend. And the Bengals are the competition IMO. After Roethlisberger returns, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers run the table. I'm not counting on them tanking.

Considering our remaining games, we have 2 very winnable ahead (Titans and KC), 2 games with Texans are 2 for L column. If we beat Detroit, We have chance for 10-6, that worth a wild card spot.

No one thought that that loss against Jax would mean so much... We stood at 8-3 now, and we had to pick only the 2 home games for PO.

I'm not sure we will make PO, still we must be proud of our Colts. They falsify all the experts, giving us almost no credit before the season.

GO COLTS!!!

Okay, because I am a musician at heart AKA "Little Drummer Boy," I am going to view this from the perspective as a young, hungry band desperately trying to land a lucrative multi-disc record deal. It took the Scorpions, 1 of my favorite bands, 12 years to get a record deal with PolyGram Records. This German band did a lot of non glamorous jobs during the day & played whatever gigs they could book at night.

Eventually, it took the Scorpions over a decade to land a record contract, but once they did they quickly rose to the top due to disappointment, rejection, & a ton of blood, sweat, tears, & backbreaking hardwork. Over a decade to reach the zenith of their musical profession & they remained a top tier group for the next 20 years & beyond. Their international following is incredible & mind blowing to this day.

My point is I don't want the Colts to make the Playoffs this year because the more adversity they face as a team; the greater the fire & inner intensity to succeed will catapult the Indianapolis Colts to the Promiseland for a longer & more sustained period of time IMO. Success cannot come to quickly or you tend to take it for granted, assume it's easy, & not fully appreciate how you achieved & accomplished said success. Naturally, I don't anticipate waiting for a decade to make a Playoffs run; more like a drought of 1 or 2 seasons at the most. Just my 2 :2c: anyway....

lucas-oil-stadium.jpg

Scorpions.jpg

I sure as heck dont want the Colts to go 8-8 or 9-7 and make the playoffs and then get knocked out in round 1 only to have a low draft pick, Many of our current players likely wont be around next year and some aren't even starters, I also dont want to go 9-7 or 8-8 and not make the playoffs and still get a low draft pick

My other concern: If the Colts make the Playoffs this season, too many pundits and NFL analysts will attribute our early success solely to HC Chuck Pagano's cancer diagnosis and his will to defeat it. Now, I am relieved to hear that Coach Pagano has returned home, will defeat this horrible disease with flying colors, and I admire the strong public support for the Chuck Strong Movement and 2 Colts cheerleaders willingness to shave their heads as a sign of mass positive support.

I wanna win despite a disease, not be inspired solely because of it. Let's see how far we get next year with no cancer element in the equation. Yes, the struggle to survive, thrive, and flourish is noble, awe inspiring, and profound, especially in solidifying a family atmosphere, cohesion, and overall team chemistry. However, good will alone does not equate to performance on the the field every single game. Coach Pagano is NOT making blocks, catching the ball, or scoring touchdowns; The players are. Again, just my 2 :2c:...

I apologize if my perspective seems cold and heartless. Not my true intent here. It's just what I honestly believe plain and simple.

That all being said...Even if we do defy the odds & back into the Playoffs, ride the post season train as far as it will carry us baby! At that point, I will take motivation in whatever form I can get it in disease or no disease; hair or no hair...But, if we do get there fight, claw, kick, and spit...Derail the darn train straight off the tracks at full speed if necessary...Remember 2 names: Dan Marino and Jim Kelly...

In other words, make the most of your playoffs experience and take nothing for granted...Play with your hair on fire & attack your opponent with a feverish fierceness and vengeance..."Not 1 step back!"

"NO Guts; NO Glory Baby!!! :thmup:

train-derail.jpg

My other concern: If the Colts make the Playoffs this season, too many pundits and NFL analysts will attribute our early success solely to HC Chuck Pagano's cancer diagnosis and his will to defeat it. Now, I am relieved to hear that Coach Pagano has returned home, will defeat this horrible disease with flying colors, and I admire the strong public support for the Chuck Strong Movement and 2 Colts cheerleaders willingness to shave their heads as a sign of mass positive support.

I wanna win despite a disease, not be inspired solely because of it. Let's see how far we get next year with no cancer element in the equation. Yes, the struggle to survive, thrive, and flourish is noble, awe inspiring, and profound, especially in solidifying a family atmosphere, cohesion, and overall team chemistry. However, good will alone does not equate to performance on the the field every single game. Coach Pagano is NOT making blocks, catching the ball, or scoring touchdowns; The players are. Again, just my 2 :2c:...

I apologize if my perspective seems cold and heartless. Not my true intent here. It's just what I honestly believe plain and simple.

I get what You are saying buddy!

However a NFL's expert stated few weeks earlier, when making the power rankings, that Colts were ranked high due to Andrew, the team isn't such good. I think "Pagano-effect" isn't over but it is working in an other way than most of us may think. Pagano, in spite his illness was working with the team, via e-mail, phone etc. he can fire up his team, inspire players. So no "experts" (and our opponents) may say that Paganos fight with this cancer made the Colts fly. Pagano, Arians and the players are making this team fly!

Also, it is good to remember that despite the long gambling odds, probability, and Mathematical equations of certainy, sometimes the HOUSE loses and Vegas goes down....

"Experts" have been known to crash and burn too. NE was supposed to with the SB easily in 2007 and the Oakland Raiders were also SB favorites in 2002 as well...Oops!

LasVegasSign1.jpg

Hey, I just noticed this...At 1:53 seconds in the "Viva Las Vegas" Music Video, you can see both Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill wearing baseball caps with a white horseshoe on them...

Gotta be diehard Colts fans right? haha:blueshoe:

Drummer Frank Beard, the only band member without a beard, is wearing a sports jacket with white :blueshoe: on his shoulders. Very Cool IMO!!! :dancing: :rock: Okay, maybe not... :sigh: Close, but not quite. I know.

zz-top.jpg

I think someone needs to email owner Jim Irsay that "Viva Las Vegas" ZZ Top video and show it up on the LOS giant flat screen at every game in the 4th quarter.

Those white :shoe: must be a good sign right? Like a Colts rallying cry similar to when Ravens LB Ray Lewis asks "Are there any dogs in the house?

If NY Giants WR Victor Cruz can have his "salsa dance" time, then we can have our "Viva" moment of inspiration too right? Just Kidding!!!

http://youtu.be/NQMCljl6XC0

I sure as heck dont want the Colts to go 8-8 or 9-7 and make the playoffs and then get knocked out in round 1 only to have a low draft pick, Many of our current players likely wont be around next year and some aren't even starters, I also dont want to go 9-7 or 8-8 and not make the playoffs and still get a low draft pick

So what do you want?

A deep playoff run or for us to lose all our remainning games and come in at 7-9 so we could improve our draft order slightly?

I really hate hearing that the only way we can beat the Texans is if they bench their starters. The Jags almost beat them with their starters so there is no reason we cant. And the Texans have yet to beat us at home. Basically were guaranteed to beat them at Lucas Oil but they will beat us at their place.

Considering our remaining games, we have 2 very winnable ahead (Titans and KC), 2 games with Texans are 2 for L column. If we beat Detroit, We have chance for 10-6, that worth a wild card spot.

No one thought that that loss against Jax would mean so much... We stood at 8-3 now, and we had to pick only the 2 home games for PO.

I'm not sure we will make PO, still we must be proud of our Colts. They falsify all the experts, giving us almost no credit before the season.

GO COLTS!!!

Lions came very close to beating the Texans! I think Indy can do the same, expect finish the deal, especially at home! I have to stay on the "they can do this" side, even if others think I'm delusional! :) Colts are fighting for it, despite all the odds against them

Lions came very close to beating the Texans! I think Indy can do the same, expect finish the deal, especially at home! I have to stay on the "they can do this" side, even if others think I'm delusional! :) Colts are fighting for it, despite all the odds against them

Well...I'm not sure we can pick a win against Texans at LOS, however Colts seem to be a strong home-field team. We lost this season only against Jax, due to a blown coverage, and too conservative play-calling. We will see... I was glad, if that last match-up with Texans wouldn't matter our PO appearance.

We are able to surprise any team...still I see more chance for us beating Lions on the road.

One of ESPN's outsider writer writes pretty low on Colts...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8676562/nfl-how-good-indianapolis-colts

I wouldn't mind falsify them again.

The high draft pick is already out the window. Even if they went 0-5 and finished at 7-9, they aren't going to be getting a top 10 pick. So any playoff experience is good for the future even if it means one & done. So at this point all you can do is press down on the gas and see what happens.

The high draft pick is already out the window. Even if they went 0-5 and finished at 7-9, they aren't going to be getting a top 10 pick. So any playoff experience is good for the future even if it means one & done. So at this point all you can do is press down on the gas and see what happens.

Your exactly right FJC its almost a given they will make it ,without a major letdown or some catastrophic injuries.So what if its one and out ,just like you IMO its good experience for them.It would be ludicrous to think somehow the hunger would be quenched with that.We can draft wherever we are,at this point our draft position really doesnt matter as much,as say we were 4-7

Best thing is that we're in a pretty good tiebreaker scenario. If it's a 3-way tie between us, the Bengals, and the Steelers, the Colts are in automatically. Colts have an advantage in conference record on both those teams, to the point where only a very specific combination of wins and losses would result in the Colts losing the tiebreaker to the Steelers (wherein the Steelers would have to lose to the Cowboys and the Colts would have to beat the Lions, plus they'd obviously have to end up tied so the Colts would have to drop 2 or 3 more games while the Steelers go on a run). And if that happens it would be based on strength of victory. As for the Bengals, the Colts have a lead in conference and common games (and if the Colts beat the Chiefs, Colts win the tiebreaker in common games). So if the Colts lose to the Chiefs and the Texans twice, and the Bengals ended up tied with them, the Bengals would have had to lose to the Eagles AND the Cowboys to win the tiebreaker. Now, while either of those scenarios where the Colts lose the tiebreak to the Steelers or Bengals could happen, it would only be a seeding tiebreak unless the other team has a flat-out better record as well. And, of course, the Colts have a head to head win over the Dolphins. So, barring 2 of those 3 teams basically winning out, or at least going 4-1 (Dolphins would have to actually win out and the Steelers and Bengals play each other so at least one of those teams can go 4-1 at best) all the Colts really have to do is beat the Titans and Chiefs to get in the playoffs, because that would likely clinch almost any tiebreaker scenario.

TBH, the Lions game isn't that important from a tiebreaking perspective. If we had to pick a game to lose, it would be the Lions, because it wouldn't count against our conference record. Now, obviously, getting a playoff spot outright would be nice, but the point is that if we're tied with another team at the end of the season, we'd rather have lost to the Lions and beaten the Titans and Chiefs than beaten the Lions and lost to either the Titans or Chiefs.

Your exactly right FJC its almost a given they will make it ,without a major letdown or some catastrophic injuries.So what if its one and out ,just like you IMO its good experience for them.It would be ludicrous to think somehow the hunger would be quenched with that.We can draft wherever we are,at this point our draft position really doesnt matter as much,as say we were 4-7

Most of the years over the past decade making the playoffs was assumed or a given and there were years where there wasn't much celebration to it. There were a couple of years that it seemed like an accomplishment(2008/2010) for an example. Those years with the team either starting slow and or dealing with a ton of injuries making the playoffs was more of an accomplishment than other years. That accomplishment needs to be celebrated. This year is one of those years.

Okay, because I am a musician at heart AKA "Little Drummer Boy," I am going to view this from the perspective as a young, hungry band desperately trying to land a lucrative multi-disc record deal. It took the Scorpions, 1 of my favorite bands, 12 years to get a record deal with PolyGram Records. This German band did a lot of non glamorous jobs during the day & played whatever gigs they could book at night.

Eventually, it took the Scorpions over a decade to land a record contract, but once they did they quickly rose to the top due to disappointment, rejection, & a ton of blood, sweat, tears, & backbreaking hardwork. Over a decade to reach the zenith of their musical profession & they remained a top tier group for the next 20 years & beyond. Their international following is incredible & mind blowing to this day.

My point is I don't want the Colts to make the Playoffs this year because the more adversity they face as a team; the greater the fire & inner intensity to succeed will catapult the Indianapolis Colts to the Promiseland for a longer & more sustained period of time IMO. Success cannot come to quickly or you tend to take it for granted, assume it's easy, & not fully appreciate how you achieved & accomplished said success. Naturally, I don't anticipate waiting for a decade to make a Playoffs run; more like a drought of 1 or 2 seasons at the most. Just my 2 :2c: anyway....

lucas-oil-stadium.jpg

Scorpions.jpg

Although I am also a musician at heart and I love your post, I respectfully disagree! Live in the moment, reign in the present, get to the playoffs this year and worry about next year, next year! heck, be the first rookie to make it to the superbowl!!!

Making the Playoffs will do more to inspire the will to win in the players we already have than drafting a couple slots higher. Playing in that atmosphere will do a lot to mature a team full of young playmakers and attract quality FAs to Indy, which, IMO is worth picking out of the top 10... I think that the jump Luck makes between his Rookie and Sophomore seasons is going to be huge. Anything to speed up that progression is better than planning for the draft in the middle of the season. This team is forging bonds and creating the kind of chemistry it takes to win at a faster rate due to Coach Pagano's circumstances, but those bonds will still exist through the offseason and into next season because we drafted quality, character guys (Luck, Allen, Hilton) that just want to be the best at what they do. Anything can happen in the NFL, but I'm not going to root against The :coltslogo: under any circumstances. (hopefully nobody digs up an old post from last year where I may have said something about us possibly needing to lose against Jax last season :scared:)

After game 15, Bengals will be 9-6, Colts will be 9-6, Steelers will be 8-7, Dolphins will be 7-8

Root for Texans to beat the Patriots and play their starters for only a half in game 16.

Hard to root for some teams ever, but we must. I'm going to hate rooting for the Pats, Chargers, and Ravens this week. But I will.

At this point, it would take a major meltdown for us to miss the playoffs. As has been stated, two wins out of our remaining five games pretty much gets us in. Unless the Jets get hot and finish with five straight wins, and they are the only team with a trump-tight tie breaker over us right now.

If we can't squeeze two wins out of our remaining games, I'll be disappointed. If we had lost to the Bills, I would have been disappointed. And that's wild. The expectations have been turned on their head. My preseason prediction was 6 wins, which we just surpassed. We could technically finish with twice as many wins as I predicted. If we don't finish with at least 9 wins, it will be a major letdown.

I think we have a chance to beat the Lions in Detroit. That team kind of has split personality disorder. We can't turn the ball over, and we have to finish drives, but if we do those things, we'll have a reasonable shot at stealing a road game against a decent team. The Chiefs and Titans games are matchups that favor us (one is at home), and I'll be disappointed if we drop either of them. We might get a gimme in Week 17, if Houston's seeding is locked up (it might not be; they play the Pats in two weeks, and are only two games ahead of them, so with a loss, they might need a win in Week 17 to lock up a top two seed and/or home field throughout).

I'm hoping for three wins out of the next five. A final record of 10-6, the fifth seed in the AFC, and a trip to Denver. Let's get it done.

It's impossible to know, but it's starting to sound like Roethlisberger could be out a few more weeks. If that is the case, two more wins should definitely do it.

I predict the Colts will be heading to Baltimore after it all plays out.

Although I am also a musician at heart and I love your post, I respectfully disagree! Live in the moment, reign in the present, get to the playoffs this year and worry about next year, next year! heck, be the first rookie to make it to the superbowl!!!

No problem coltsfan nyc. Please feel free to disagree with my point of view at anytime. I don't presume to have all the answers. I am no football genius either just a public relations/locker room chemistry guy I guess. Making the SB as a rookie QB would be pretty sweet. "BIG Ben" from Pittsburgh almost pulled it off so anything is possible I suppose.

I have an affinity for musicians/kindred spirits as well. Nice chatting with you Colts nyc! Rock On My Friend! :rock::thmup::colts: