Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The hit on TY Hilton will be fined

oldunclemark

idk about it being a fine, it wasn't intentional. Hilton was spun into the guy as he was trying to make the tackle. he was already in motion with his head down, he couldn't stop it from happening. i agree the refs prob should have been paying more attention, but it wasnt intentional. and the guy dont have a history of dirty play like suh.

I'm not really up to speed on this. Is this how they determine fines and things? Does the league look over incidents if they aren't sent in by the team?

a lot of teams send tape into the league office for a variety of reasons (officiating, late hits, etc), however it won't result in a fine. If a fine is handed down, it was going to happen regardless of anything the team sent in. If anything, the tape that teams send in just clues the league on what to maybe watch for going forward. Anything worthy of a fine is brought to the league's attention before anything can ever be sent in from a team, like Suh's groin kick.

** my understanding anyway

a lot of teams send tape into the league office for a variety of reasons (officiating, late hits, etc), however it won't result in a fine. If a fine is handed down, it was going to happen regardless of anything the team sent in. If anything, the tape that teams send in just clues the league on what to maybe watch for going forward. Anything worthy of a fine is brought to the league's attention before anything can ever be sent in from a team, like Suh's groin kick.

** my understanding anyway

Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense to me.

I'm not so sure you're right.

If someone finds video of that play and a replay, please link it here.

I thought it was as much on Hilton as it was on the defender that he ended up getting hit. The way he went down and turned his body, I'm not sure the defender could've done much of anything else.

But I don't think the announcers said anything, and no one who was watching it with me said anything about an illegal hit. Perhaps we were more concerned because it looked like TY might be seriously, seriously hurt for a minute or two and perhaps that distracted us from what you think is an illegal hit.

Perhaps you're right, OUM, but I'm not sure as of the moment. I'd like to see some tape if someone's got it....

idk about it being a fine, it wasn't intentional. Hilton was spun into the guy as he was trying to make the tackle. he was already in motion with his head down, he couldn't stop it from happening.

I haven't gotten around to watching the colts game yet, but this is basically what I've been hearing too. Sounds like it was a good (albeit unfortunate) no-call. Glad he was ok.

I don't know, I'll have to look at the play again sometime. I know if a player is defenseless, or is/has giving himself up, it's a no brainer. If a player is going/or is down, you better be real careful barreling in with the crown of your helmet or forearm first. It it gets into the head/neck area to a guy on the ground, they may indeed get a fine.

League isn't taking crap from D players that wreak havoc on players down, (or almost down) receiving or delivering a pass. A D players know when a guy is heading and will imminently be out of bounds, or on the ground and down.They can pull up somewhat but choose to barrel in full steam head first anyway.

Returners are considered a RB and they are not defenseless WRs, therefore helmet to helmet contact also is legal.

Often true, but not for runners down, or imminently so. Especially if back is turned and he is on the ground. You come in head first, it's remotely possible you may get a Fed-Ex package Tuesday am. Time will tell, but Luck has a laundry list of folks fined (not all penalized in the game either).

That hit should be fined but this whole hit in the head thing is outrageous. It's getting to the point where you can't even hit guys in the chest without getting a penalty. They don't call this one but they call it when Pollard hit a Charger player in the chest? Wow! I think they just call big hits, that's it.

I was there and watched the replay several times. It seemed to me that the defender used his helmet as a weapon. Hilton was clearly on the ground with his back towards the defender. It appeared to me he attempted to spear Hilton with his helmet, attempting to dislodge the ball or knock him out. It's the type of play that causes concussions and worse. It should be fined and players who repeatedly are fined should be suspended.

That hit should be fined but this whole hit in the head thing is outrageous. It's getting to the point where you can't even hit guys in the chest without getting a penalty. They don't call this one but they call it when Pollard hit a Charger player in the chest? Wow! I think they just call big hits, that's it.

The refs miss calls..like it or nt..head hits will be eliminated from the game..//and players hit each other in the head intentionally...

Its not an accident...

..the refs see some and miss others. The only difference between the real refs and the replacement refs..is that the

real refs are much more confident and sure of themselves as they are making the wrong call...

I was there and watched the replay several times. It seemed to me that the defender used his helmet as a weapon. Hilton was clearly on the ground with his back towards the defender. It appeared to me he attempted to spear Hilton with his helmet, attempting to dislodge the ball or knock him out. It's the type of play that causes concussions and worse. It should be fined and players who repeatedly are fined should be suspended.

Exactly....think it would have happened if they had on leather helmet?...NO.

Maybe we should take away the helmet weapon like they do in rugby. Almost bet concusions would go down.

Exactly....think it would have happened if they had on leather helmet?...NO.

Maybe we should take away the helmet weapon like they do in rugby. Almost bet concusions would go down.

I bet they wouldnt....many NFL players would shorten their lives for cash...and they like to hurt each other.

That's why they put you on defense to begin with...

i don't think you understand the new rules. there won't be a fine