Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No one is talking about Brady for MVP

Snowglobe

" A popularity contest." Exactly Yehoodi!  :thmup:

Credentials or variety, why would the Associated Press ever want be unconventional & give the MVP Award to someone other than a traditional media darling right?  :thinking:

the MVP award is as bad as the golden glove award . . . a popularity contest . . . if one of the top 3 has the same numbers as one of the lesser players/QBs and the same record, the top 3 QB will get the award . . .

i do think it will be tough for AP to get the award . . . I think he needs to break the record . . . for the most part the award is given to a player on a division winner (this btw is my team element portion of the award) and sometimes to a WC team . . . and only very very rare cases a player on a non playoff team, interestingly i think the last one was OJ and his 2000 yards . . . we'll just have to wait and see . . .

sometimes I wish weren't any awards, just play some good  football & forget these individual ,accolades that 50 guys determine often based on what city  they report from

ap should ge t record he play\s texans and packers, they are ranked 24 & 30 Vs run, forgot which is which, also few weeks back got over 200 Vs Packers ,

Ponder  decent enough to have  to keep a half an eye on him,

LINK for playoff seeding, mouse over yellow  at end of vikings name explains tiebreaker, mouse over team name gives schedule left

Vikings right now are # 6 seed

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when did it become the most valuable player between Brady and Manning award? Peterson has almost single handedly taken a 3-13 team to the brink of the play-offs, giving it to 12 or 18 is pure elitism. Brady is winning less games this season than last.

if the Colts win out, I'd say jumping 9 wins in his first season convincingly beats all QB's hands down.

You're argument is insanely flawed, of course the Colts can change their wins by more than anyone else because they were a pathetic team that year that gave up on themselves and their fans, doing the "Suck For Luck" campaign which was one of the most disgraceful displays of sportsmanship ive ever seen.

The Patriots are consistently in the double digit wins every single year, so obviously their +/- wins from one season to the next is going to be a small margin. Tom Brady and the Patriots set the standard every single year for what it means to be a great team, the Colts rolling over for an entire year just so they can draft their next Quarterback does not.

You're argument is insanely flawed, of course the Colts can change their wins by more than anyone else because they were a pathetic team that year that gave up on themselves and their fans, doing the "Suck For Luck" campaign which was one of the most disgraceful displays of sportsmanship ive ever seen.

The Patriots are consistently in the double digit wins every single year, so obviously their +/- wins from one season to the next is going to be a small margin. Tom Brady and the Patriots set the standard every single year for what it means to be a great team, the Colts rolling over for an entire year just so they can draft their next Quarterback does not.

So Brady is MVP because the Colts sucked last year... Of course! It's all so clear to me now!

So Brady is MVP because the Colts sucked last year... Of course! It's all so clear to me now!

Hes the MVP because hes having a better year than any other quarterback and has to carry his team on his back a majority of the games because the defense gives up more big plays than any other team in the league. For the first time he actually has all 5 offensive lineman healthy, for 3 straight games which is the most all year for them. He hasn't had his two young weapons that they gave big contracts too on the same field all year long and still is leading the highest scoring offense in the league, 2nd highest scoring in NFL history.

Without Brady this team goes nowhere, the Patriots remind me of the early 2000 Colts that were high powered offense but had a suspect defense that lived off the turnovers. Although I think the Patriots defense is a bit more stout against the run, but horrendous against the pass.

Hes the MVP because hes having a better year than any other quarterback and has to carry his team on his back a majority of the games because the defense gives up more big plays than any other team in the league. For the first time he actually has all 5 offensive lineman healthy, for 3 straight games which is the most all year for them. He hasn't had his two young weapons that they gave big contracts too on the same field all year long and still is leading the highest scoring offense in the league, 2nd highest scoring in NFL history.Without Brady this team goes nowhere, the Patriots remind me of the early 2000 Colts that were high powered offense but had a suspect defense that lived off the turnovers. Although I think the Patriots defense is a bit more stout against the run, but horrendous against the pass.

Then you should have said that in the first place and left the personal shots at Colts fans out of it. Your rant about the Colts being bad had nothing to do with Brady for MVP. Brady is deserving, as is Peterson and Peyton. No reason to get bent out of shape.

I think because of those 2 performances, that include a loss and a very close win against the Jags (where he threw 2 picks), pretty much made it a 2 man battle between AP and Peyton.

If AP makes the playoffs, then he gets it (or at least deserves it). If he doesn't, then it probably goes to Peyton.

Funny, AP and Peyton will most likely battle it out for the comeback player of the year award too. That one should be a tie.

I'm going to introduce a foreign concept to this board. It's called objectivity.  ;)

With four picks in two games, a painful (albeit respectable) loss to the 49ers, and a close call with the Jags, I would say that Brady has taken a step back and that the MVP is now a two-man race between Manning and AP.

See how easy that is? You let things happen, they play out a certain way, and then you assess them honestly and without any emotion. LOL... :thmup:

I'm going to introduce a foreign concept to this board. It's called objectivity.  ;)

With four picks in two games, a painful (albeit respectable) loss to the 49ers, and a close call with the Jags, I would say that Brady has taken a step back and that the MVP is now a two-man race between Manning and AP.

See how easy that is? You let things happen, they play out a certain way, and then you assess them honestly and without any emotion. LOL... :thmup:

I want AP to run all over the Packers and the Vikes earn a playoff berth with a close win. How many times will AP honestly have a chance like this? I am all about fair opportunity. Let AP get MVP, Peyton get comeback player of the year and I will be happy. Not so sure about others, cant speak for them. :)

I want AP to run all over the Packers and the Vikes earn a playoff berth with a close win. How many times will AP honestly have a chance like this? I am all about fair opportunity. Let AP get MVP, Peyton get comeback player of the year and I will be happy. Not so sure about others, cant speak for them. :)

AP is pretty deserving of it too... when you play the Vikes you know what's coming, and a lot of teams still can't stop it. He gets less consideration but I also think Megatron has a very viable claim on it this year too. His team sucks though, which works against him. But can you imagine how bad it would be in Detroit if Stafford didn't have the luxury of throwing up passes into triple coverage over and over again? We saw that a little with Brady-Moss in 2007, but they also got the ball to Welker over 100 times. Not the case with the Lions.

AP is pretty deserving of it too... when you play the Vikes you know what's coming, and a lot of teams still can't stop it. He gets less consideration but I also think Megatron has a very viable claim on it this year too. His team sucks though, which works against him. But can you imagine how bad it would be in Detroit if Stafford didn't have the luxury of throwing up passes into triple coverage over and over again? We saw that a little with Brady-Moss in 2007, but they also got the ball to Welker over 100 times. Not the case with the Lions.

I'd love to see BB defend him. I bet we stop him:)  You know, with that great defense we have lol

I'd love to see BB defend him. I bet we stop him:)  You know, with that great defense we have lol

Yesterday was a nightmare. They need to get McCourty back to safety. My guess is that Dennard and Talib (who played a little, but not the whole game) just need a little time but would have both played if it was a "must win" situation.

I know he had two picks but Chung is a disaster in coverage. The INTs were the result of balls being thrown right to him.

If their secondary is still this banged up, the Patriots won't go far in January.

If their secondary is still this banged up, the Patriots won't go far in January.

It's all about matchups.

Of all the teams in the AFC, believe it or not I think the Bengals at the #6 seed are NE's toughest matchup.   IMO their D is better than Denver's and with Green alone that offense can keep pace.

You're argument is insanely flawed, of course the Colts can change their wins by more than anyone else because they were a pathetic team that year that gave up on themselves and their fans, doing the "Suck For Luck" campaign which was one of the most disgraceful displays of sportsmanship ive ever seen.The Patriots are consistently in the double digit wins every single year, so obviously their +/- wins from one season to the next is going to be a small margin. Tom Brady and the Patriots set the standard every single year for what it means to be a great team, the Colts rolling over for an entire year just so they can draft their next Quarterback does not.

You use your theories and I'll use mine thank you very much. If you really do want to bring cheating Into the argument (sorry I don't normally regurgitate this anymore) why don't we look over the punishments dished out over the last 10 years or so.

Next you'll be taking about pumped in noise.

With the last 2 not so great games by Brady, I think Manning has once again taken the lead for the MVP.  Week 17 will decide everything though.  If one QB struggles, and the other lights it up, that QB will win the award.  If both QB's light it up I think it goes to Manning.

The only way AP gets it is if he has the HUGE 209 yard game (I think 208 would tie it) against the Packers.  2,000 yards alone wont do it for him.  In 2009, Chris Johnson rushed for 2,006 yards and Manning still won the MVP.  Peyton has arguably been even better this year than he was in 2009.

At this point, I truly think it comes down to Manning vs Brady... Much like the AFC will (I think)

It's all about matchups.

Of all the teams in the AFC, believe it or not I think the Bengals at the #6 seed are NE's toughest matchup.   IMO their D is better than Denver's and with Green alone that offense can keep pace.

They also know Denver better as a team, having played them three times in the last year. I don't know, the more I think about it the more I think they will want the 4th seed's matchups.

Lions country is happy about megaton but still just hate the club & season & never expect much except finding a way yo lose

even though AP didn't run wild this weekend , keying on him allowed Ponder to strike when needed

he did get over 200 in their last meeting & if Jaren Allen & company can sack Rodgers and get more possessions for Vikings chances are excellent

Vikigs D sure stopped texans

With the last 2 not so great games by Brady, I think Manning has once again taken the lead for the MVP.  Week 17 will decide everything though.  If one QB struggles, and the other lights it up, that QB will win the award.  If both QB's light it up I think it goes to Manning.

The only way AP gets it is if he has the HUGE 209 yard game (I think 208 would tie it) against the Packers.  2,000 yards alone wont do it for him.  In 2009, Chris Johnson rushed for 2,006 yards and Manning still won the MVP.  Peyton has arguably been even better this year than he was in 2009.

At this point, I truly think it comes down to Manning vs Brady... Much like the AFC will (I think)

Honestly, if Manning wins, the only reason is because he is Peyton Manning. There are 2 understated facts that remain:

1. The Broncos won the AFC West last year and won the Wild Card Round last year with Tebow.

2. In 2005, the Broncos went 13-3 playing better competition. Shaun Alexander won MVP that year.

If people would take away the popularity factor, I don't see how AP doesn't get it but it is what it is. Running backs will always get a raw deal when it comes to the MVP race. I know a lot of people on here will dismiss this but in 2009,  Chris Johnson broke the total yards from scrimmage record but didn't receive one vote for MVP because they were lacking at the QB position for half the year missed the playoffs. For the most part, this award is catered to QBs. QB play lends itself to wins more than running, case in point, Sundays game. Jamaal Charles tore yall up and the Chiefs still loss. Why? That's right.

Yesterday was a nightmare. They need to get McCourty back to safety. My guess is that Dennard and Talib (who played a little, but not the whole game) just need a little time but would have both played if it was a "must win" situation.

I know he had two picks but Chung is a disaster in coverage. The INTs were the result of balls being thrown right to him.

If their secondary is still this banged up, the Patriots won't go far in January.8

They won!

Made the plays when they count. All the yards look ugly and scary I know but.....

and I don't care who you play, Jax or SF...they're all NFL teams who come to play too.

As Vince said, we weren't energized enough at the beginning. Just because the big bad Patriots (his words:) were coming to town against a less than stellar team.......well they soon realized they were in a dogfight. Henne has always burned us the 1st half. What separates

the good teams is can you sustain that for 60 min. Jax couldn't, we could.

Still..BB does well with what he has in secondary. McCourty is better at safety but with injuries its great BB can move players around. Including Bob at LB with Spikes out.

Honestly, if Manning wins, the only reason is because he is Peyton Manning. There are 2 understated facts that remain:

1. The Broncos won the AFC West last year and won the Wild Card Round last year with Tebow.

2. In 2005, the Broncos went 13-3 playing better competition. Shaun Alexander won MVP that year.

If people would take away the popularity factor, I don't see how AP doesn't get it but it is what it is. Running backs will always get a raw deal when it comes to the MVP race. I know a lot of people on here will dismiss this but in 2009, Chris Johnson broke the total yards from scrimmage record but didn't receive one vote for MVP because they were lacking at the QB position for half the year missed the playoffs. For the most part, this award is catered to QBs. QB play lends itself to wins more than running, case in point, Sundays game. Jamaal Charles tore yall up and the Chiefs still loss. Why? That's right.

SMH. No. If Peyton wins it will be because he earned it. Did you know he lost all feeling in his arm? He had to re teach himself to throw? Now he leads the league for all QB after over a year off and 4 major surgeries. He has thrown more TD this season than he did as a colt with exception of the 49 TD year. On a new team with new players none the less. If thats not MVP play, IDK what is.

You've got Manningitis.

SMH. No. If Peyton wins it will be because he earned it. Did you know he lost all feeling in his arm? He had to re teach himself to throw? Now he leads the league for all QB after over a year off and 4 major surgeries. He has thrown more TD this season than he did as a colt with exception of the 49 TD year. On a new team with new players none the less. If thats not MVP play, IDK what is.

You've got Manningitis.

Manningitis? I don't even know that means...lol.

If a QB has to win it, I would give it to Brady. What you essentially did in your post was make an awesome case for Manning getting Comeback Player of the Year. Looking at your name, I can understand your leaning but if you would look at this objectively, you could understand why AP should get it but I digress. Peyton Manning took last years AFC West champions and made them better, but the fact remains they won the AFC West and a playoff game last year with TEBOW as QB. Just saying...

You've got Manningitis.

i commented in topic on last nights game

Game announcers said or article I read said

during his early throwing & rehab post surgeries,

Peyton had to watch himself throw with mirrors as he couldnt feel his arm and thus had no idea what his mechanics were like, using the mirror allowed him to observe himself in act of throwing to correct any issues'

I cant imagine that , i have done some  weird things using mirrors to see  so could do a medically procedure  and it aint easy

One key difference, fellas. Unlike years past, the MVP is given the week before the SB. Has been the case since 2010, if I am right.

So, an MVP may not know he is MVP till he makes it to the SB. That is a good thing, IMO. That also reduces AP's chances, unfortunately. So, a bit of the postseason might factor into it, I am assuming.

One key difference, fellas. Unlike years past, the MVP is given the week before the SB. Has been the case since 2010, if I am right.

So, an MVP may not know he is MVP till he makes it to the SB. That is a good thing, IMO. That also reduces AP's chances, unfortunately. So, a bit of the postseason might factor into it, I am assuming.

I'm pretty sure its reg season only regardless when they give it out. Infact I'm almost positive.

I seriously don't get this notion that just because the Broncos won the AFC West last year means that Manning is ineligible for the MVP.  Yeah, they won the west...at...8-8.  The Broncos with Manning are now staring 13-3 in the eye with the #2 seed and the POSSIBLE #1 seed.

Yes, the Broncos won the west last year with pitiful offense, good defense, and a LOT LOT LOT of luck.  This year, the Broncos are arguably the best team in the league.  So Manning took a decent team and has helped turn them into an elite team.  Why does that not count for the MVP?

Edit:  I WILL, however, agree that most of the arguments made for Manning count towards the Comeback player of the year.  His surgeries, the struggle to come back to form, all that jazz shouldn't really  be a factor in the MVP.  His greatness this year with a completely new team should, though....

Manningitis? I don't even know that means...lol.

If a QB has to win it, I would give it to Brady. What you essentially did in your post was make an awesome case for Manning getting Comeback Player of the Year. Looking at your name, I can understand your leaning but if you would look at this objectively, you could understand why AP should get it but I digress. Peyton Manning took last years AFC West champions and made them better, but the fact remains they won the AFC West and a playoff game last year with TEBOW as QB. Just saying...

What the Broncos did with Tebow is irrelevant and inadmissible. It should be based on merit in this year only.

I seriously don't get this notion that just because the Broncos won the AFC West last year means that Manning is ineligible for the MVP.  Yeah, they won the west...at...8-8.  The Broncos with Manning are now staring 13-3 in the eye with the #2 seed and the POSSIBLE #1 seed.

I'm not saying it makes him ineligible but at the same point, I'm not for one second going to believe that the Broncos were the doom and gloom of the NFL. And I put a lot of that pitiful offense on Fox and McCoy and not Tebow. Case in point, look at his stats at the end of the 2010 season, but I digress. Now, if Manning would have stayed with the Colts and they would have went 13-3 after that 2-14 season, then I believe that every award should be thrown at it but he didn't. He made last years AFC #4 seed to this years #2 seed. I will give him Comeback Player all day but meh regarding the MVP.

If you want to bring last year into the equation, Tom Brady is playing worst than he did last season, and has his team in a worse position than they were last season. They will be playing in the wild-card round compared to last season's homefield advantage.

The Patriots even have a better run game, and a better defense than they did in 2011.

How a team does in the prior season is irrelevant.

What the Broncos did with Tebow is irrelevant and inadmissible. It should be based on merit in this year only.

Ok, so why isn't Aaron Rodgers in the conversation then? He has almost 4,000 yards, 35 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and the Packers are currently the #2 seed in the NFC, with the fail mary being the only reason they aren't playing for first.

Truth is, the MVP award is about the player who is the greatest asset to the team and their current position. Ask yourself, out of the candidates, where would each team be without that player and please use objectivity.

I've been following Peyton Manning longer than most people on this website but I know when to throw out fandom for pure facts.

If you want to bring last year into the equation, Tom Brady is playing worst than he did last season, and has his team in a worse position than they were last season. They will be playing in the wild-card round compared to last season's homefield advantage.

How a team does in the prior season is irrelevant.

Adrian Peterson is playing better than he did last year, came back from an injury, and is his teams offense. *shrugs*

Adrian Peterson is playing better than he did last year, came back from an injury, and is his teams offense. *shrugs*

That is why AP is more relevant to the MVP consideration than Tom Brady. However, he probably needed to break Dickerson's record to get the MVP. Unfortunately 2,000 yards isn't good enough. Chris Johnson didn't get it 2009 when He got 2,000. Jamal Lewis didn't either in 2003. Both times Peyton got it those seasons. To add to it his 2012 season is better than his 2003 and 2009 season also.

If Tom continued to play lights out throughout the season it would probably go to him, but the past two games he let Peyton extend his lead. The only way Peyton doesn't get it is if he plays terribly this week.

That is why AP is more relevant to the MVP consideration than Tom Brady. However, he probably needed to break Dickerson's record to get the MVP. Unfortunately 2,000 yards isn't good enough. Chris Johnson didn't get it 2009 when He got 2,000. Jamal Lewis didn't either in 2003. Both times Peyton got it those seasons. To add to it his 2012 season is better than his 2003 and 2009 season also.

If Tom continued to play lights out throughout the season it would probably go to him, but the past two games he let Peyton extend his lead. The only way Peyton doesn't get it is if he plays terribly this week.

That's what made this hilarious and somewhat true...lol

nfl-mvp-flowchart.png

Chris Johnson was screwed by shoddy QB play that season and not being Peyton Manning. But the league had to recognize what he did was awesome so he did get Offensive Player of the Year. To me, that's the most cut and dry award. I don't see anyone other than AP getting that. Subjectivity is thrown into the MVP award.

Ok, so why isn't Aaron Rodgers in the conversation then? He has almost 4,000 yards, 35 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and the Packers are currently the #2 seed in the NFC, with the fail mary being the only reason they aren't playing for first.

Truth is, the MVP award is about the player who is the greatest asset to the team and their current position. Ask yourself, out of the candidates, where would each team be without that player and please use objectivity.

I've been following Peyton Manning longer than most people on this website but I know when to throw out fandom for pure facts.

With the system that GB runs I think their QB2 could come in and produce quicker/at a higher rate than Mallet or Osweiler. I think the New England offense would be easier for Mallet to succeed than what Manning runs with Osweiler making the calls. I'm not saying that Patriots would barely miss a beat or be like they were when Brady went down with his knee injury, but I believe they would have a better record than Denver without Manning.

To me that is one of the strengths of the West Coast Offense. To me it amplifies the QB's abilities. Makes a crappy QB decent, a decent QB good, a good QB great. 

That's what made this hilarious and somewhat true...lol

nfl-mvp-flowchart.png

Chris Johnson was screwed by shoddy QB play that season and not being Peyton Manning. But the league had to recognize what he did was awesome so he did get Offensive Player of the Year. To me, that's the most cut and dry award. I don't see anyone other than AP getting that. Subjectivity is thrown into the MVP award.

Yes, I've seen that picture before, and find it hilarious. When you win it as many times as Peyton you get jokes made about it. The MVP is subjective award, but if Barry sees my post he can show you the article why Peyton, while playing in Indy, had the short end of the stick when it came to MVP voting.

I didn't say Aaron Rodgers didn't belong in the conversation. I'm saying Tebow and last years Broncos have no bearing on whether or not Peyton should get the award. It's irrelevant. It shouldn't even come into the equation.

And it is not just about how valuable a player is to his particular team, it is about the most valuable player in the league. It is supposed to honor a player that has performed the best over the course of the season. It should probably be Adrian Peterson. But your argument against Peyton is invalid.

I'll be objective. Andrew Luck has just proven what an asset he is to his team. Plus 8 on last season. Brady is in the minus figures. Manning and Peterson are heading towards plus 4/5. Work it out from there....

Being sensible, I hope AD gets it.....

u r half right

only the announcement is delayed, not the vote , voting is in early January right after regular season so no playoff results are included, announcement isnt till bye week after confereance championships & before SB

Not sure why announcement delayed,  has something to do with NFL network I read  

Not sure here I copied the below from  this year but was an official site

====================================================

Although voting occurs early in January, anticipation builds by delaying the announcement until the bye week between the conference championships and Super Bowl. Beginning in 2010, the AP announced the award in conjunction with exclusive coverage from the NFL Network. It’s clearly a fine line.

“If we were to delay the voting process even a week, a performance in the playoffs might creep into people’s thinking,” Wilner said. “And these awards are not for the playoffs. It needs to be equal footing for every player in the league.”

Other professional sports leagues have different methods to their madness.

==================================================================

Wilner is the one  in charge  for many years of the process & picking the voters

Except that 2 of those 4 were balls that bounced off of the HANDS of his receivers, those are not on the Quarterback. Brady is still missing a true #1 receiver, he hasn't had one since Randy Moss, and before that he never had one his entire career.