Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians' playcalling is the problem

BProland85

Have we even scored 30 points or more yet this year? With a rookie the caliber of Andrew Luck, I would have figured we would have some higher scoring games for this offense. We have talent on offense around Luck, so dont give me that. While they are young, they are pretty talented.

Am I wrong with this? Or is the reason just the poor OL that we STILL have not fixed?

I really hope Luck is able to call his own plays and run the offense starting next year instead of going with Arians playcalling all the time and throwing too many deep passes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we even scored 30 points or more yet this year? With a rookie the caliber of Andrew Luck, I would have figured we would have some higher scoring games for this offense. We have talent on offense around Luck, so dont give me that. While they are young, they are pretty talented.

Am I wrong with this? Or is the reason just the poor OL that we STILL have not fixed?

I really hope Luck is able to call his own plays and run the offense starting next year instead of going with Arians playcalling all the time and throwing too many deep passes.

we scored 30 versus greenbay

While his play calling has not been perfect at times I think the o-line remains the bigger problem. This was one of the worst run defenses in football yet the Colts could not run the ball very well today and Luck was under presure all day long and the D-line was breaking up screen passes when we tried to run them. Simply put the line was not doing a good enough job blocking and it impacted the rest of the offense.

Thankfully the Special Teams Unit came to play today they are the reason we won the game.

Everyone will put the blinders on when we win but yes it is a major part of the problem. Everyone loves to blame the olinebut in truth we are getting more push than we have gotten in the past 3 or 4 years... And on top of that NO oline in the league is going to pass block for 10 seconds every play for the long routes we call. Our oline is a weak spot I know that, we know that, coaches know that, so why are we not calling quick passes or passes out of the back field? Nope just long bombers all day.

Anyone else see how luck was playing early? Timid and lacking confidence also anyone see the bad tendencies he's starting to pick up? Staring down receivers always trying to force the big play... From what i remember he never had these problems out of college...

Everyone will put the blinders on when we win but yes it is a major part of the problem. Everyone loves to blame the olinebut in truth we are getting more push than we have gotten in the past 3 or 4 years... And on top of that NO oline in the league is going to pass block for 10 seconds every play for the long routes we call. Our oline is a weak spot I know that, we know that, coaches know that, so why are we not calling quick passes or passes out of the back field? Nope just long bombers all day.

Anyone else see how luck was playing early? Timid and lacking confidence also anyone see the bad tendencies he's starting to pick up? Staring down receivers always trying to force the big play... From what i remember he never had these problems out of college...

They just played the 31st ranked rushing defense in the NFL and got 81 rushing yards (and 20 of that came from Luck on none designed QB scambles) on 29 carries or just 2.8 yards per carry. Adjust for Luck and it's just 61 yards for 2.6 yards per carry. That's not play calling that's the line not doing a good enough job run blocking.

Add to that they let Luck get sacked four times and gave up at least two deflections at the line of scrimage on passing plays and yes the line is a big part of the problem and no it's not just putting blinders on.

I'm not sure if its a case of this O system is going to take a while to get down and execute because of the rookies and it complexity and Arians is playing the long game.

My worry is that with its reliance on slow developing routes and our struggle to solve the O line issues Andrew is going to get roughed up a lot.

Hard to argue with the results though.

Its not 1 particular issue its a combination of several issues in no particular order

1.Playcalling by Arians-To predictable, ignorant of the fact that we have very little that resembles an NFL Caliber O Line and right now I dont know if we have 1 player that I can say without a doubt is the leader or the best player on that O Line, Castonzos draft position would lead you to believe that he is but his play has not, he has struggled awful more often then not this season

2.O Line-there play speaks for itself most of the time, nothing to be said here

3.Bad throws by Luck at times also holding onto the ball sometimes to long

4,WR's dropping passes, some of which have lead to interceptions, such as the Wayne juggle today

All of that is correctible but #1 wont be until he is shown the door or moves on

Play calling does have something to do with it. it seems plays are being called without a purpose. example why run a playaction... when we have yet to run the ball... our why not run more screens with Brown. it seems we run plays to run them but not really with the intention to set something up. we at one point ran the ball 3-4 straight plays effectively... our first pass after that should be a PA pass... but it was not.

Its not 1 particular issue its a combination of several issues in no particular order

1.Playcalling by Arians-To predictable, ignorant of the fact that we have very little that resembles an NFL Caliber O Line and right now I dont know if we have 1 player that I can say without a doubt is the leader or the best player on that O Line, Castonzos draft position would lead you to believe that he is but his play has not, he has struggled awful more often then not this season

2.O Line-there play speaks for itself most of the time, nothing to be said here

3.Bad throws by Luck at times also holding onto the ball sometimes to long

4,WR's dropping passes, some of which have lead to interceptions, such as the Wayne juggle today

All of that is correctible but #1 wont be until he is shown the door or moves on

All of your points make it pretty clear that Arians is working miracles considering what he has out there. We're beating the teams that are as good as us and a couple that were better.

Who do you want to replace him and why?

All of your points make it pretty clear that Arians is working miracles considering what he has out there. We're beating the teams that are as good as us and a couple that were better.

Personally I don't and I think he should be coach of the year. He took over a team that was 1-2 coming off a crushing loss after being 2-14 the season before and just losing their head coach to cancer. They could have easily fallen apart at the point in time. They didn't they ralied and have gone 6-2 under him. I credit the coach for bringing them together.

With that said I know you weren't directing that at me.

Personally I don't and I think he should be coach of the year. He took over a team that was 1-2 coming off a crushing loss after being 2-14 the season before and just losing their head coach to cancer. They could have easily fallen apart at the point in time. They didn't they ralied and have gone 6-2 under him. I credit the coach for bringing them together.

With that said I know you weren't directing that at me.

I agree with you. I understand people's frustration with some of the play calling but Gavin does a good job of pointing out everything he has to deal with. I'm not crazy about some of the empty backfield plays but I understand the need to stretch the field in order to get the short passes to work.

This is the NFL, every team is capable of winning any game. Not every play or series is going to work for any team.

I don't know who people would rather have, and why they want them, but I'd like to hear their suggestions.

I agree with you. I understand people's frustration with some of the play calling but Gavin does a good job of pointing out everything he has to deal with. I'm not crazy about some of the empty backfield plays but I understand the need to stretch the field in order to get the short passes to work.

This is the NFL, every team is capable of winning any game. Not every play or series is going to work for any team.

I don't know who people would rather have, and why they want them, but I'd like to hear their suggestions.

I guess I just don't think he's done a bad job. Yeah his play calling is a little strange at times but what coach in the NFL doesn't have strange play calling at times? i think as a whole he's done a great job when you factor everything in and I am willing to live with a little strange play calling at times.

Play calling does have something to do with it. it seems plays are being called without a purpose. example why run a playaction... when we have yet to run the ball... our why not run more screens with Brown. it seems we run plays to run them but not really with the intention to set something up. we at one point ran the ball 3-4 straight plays effectively... our first pass after that should be a PA pass... but it was not.

THIS was exactly why Steelers fans were upset with him. He doesn't use ANY plays to set up others. Its all very sporadic yet predictable.

ill take 7-4 all day. who cares if we score 30 or not. the point of the game is to have more points then the other team period.

The problem is, when you get to the playoffs, you don't want to get embarrassed. This defense is not good enough to hide the offense's deficiencies against good teams. This is the worst 7-4 team I have ever seen. But that is a symptom of playing is the worst division of all time...

The problem is, when you get to the playoffs, you don't want to get embarrassed. This defense is not good enough to hide the offense's deficiencies against good teams. This is the worst 7-4 team I have ever seen. But that is a symptom of playing is the worst division of all time...

you do realize that our offense is basically all rookies right? you should count your blessing that we're 7-4

I thought the play calling was fine today. The blocking on the other hand was bad.

Happy for the win. I agree. Luck got more shorter passes completed to RBs, TEs and WRs today, that is what I wanted, so the play calling was not an issue today for me. We could definitely have rushed better, IMO, and that is definitely on the O-line. At least rushing enough times kept us possibly from turning the ball over more, I guess.

This team is night and day at home and on the road, almost a Jekyll and Hyde. Youth should no longer be an excuse, they have been broken in, and 11 games into the season, IMO. Better take care of the home game vs the Titans. The 9th win is going to be the hardest, IMO.

Less turnovers on the road and better rushing on the road is what is going to keep us respectable on the road. Even with a playoff berth, we will be going on the road where we have been road kill. The Chiefs game at Arrowhead worries me with the way Luck turns the ball over on the road and their CBs will be some of the best we will have faced. If we do not turn it over at Arrowhead, we can rely on their putrid offense to lay an egg. Considering that we are counting on our 9th win at the Chiefs, hence their mention. We will cross the bridge when we get there, I guess.

I don't really care if we get embarrassed or not if we get to the playoffs we have will have WAY overachived what was expected of this team. Remember at the start of the year some people were wondering if we would win a game and fully expected us to be the worst team in the league. No first overall draft pick QB has ever lead his team to a winning record if Luck does that when you factor in what they went threw with Pagano and I'll just be thrilled that this team got there. I fully expect them to go one and done and that one not to be pretty. However if you can't see the diference in this team going the playoffs and being one and done vs. the disapointed around some of the Peyton lead teams that went one and done in the playoffs with much greater expectations I don't know what to tell you.

1.Rick Dennison-Houston Texans O Coordinator, Zone Blocking scheme guy, Does a very good job of making many plays look different but are just variations of the same play on many occasions.

2.Marty Mornhinweg

3.Kyle Shanahan (Wont happen I dont think with Mike still coaching the Redskins)

4.Tom Clements

They all have one common theme, They all employ a Zone Blocking scheme and deal with fairly (but not spectacular) mobile QB's

I don't really care if we get embarrassed or not if we get to the playoffs we have will have WAY overachived what was expected of this team. Remember at the start of the year some people were wondering if we would win a game and fully expected us to be the worst team in the league. No first overall draft pick QB has ever lead his team to a winning record if Luck does that when you factor in what they went threw with Pagano and I'll just be thrilled that this team got there. I fully expect them to go one and done and that one not to be pretty. However if you can't see the diference in this team going the playoffs and being one and done vs. the disapointed around some of the Peyton lead teams that went one and done in the playoffs with much greater expectations I don't know what to tell you.

Awesome post. i really hope we get win #8 next week so i can be there in person for a chance to see the ninth win.

1.Rick Dennison-Houston Texans O Coordinator, Zone Blocking scheme guy, Does a very good job of making many plays look different but are just variations of the same play on many occasions.

2.Marty Mornhinweg

3.Kyle Shanahan (Wont happen I dont think with Mike still coaching the Redskins)

4.Tom Clements

They all have one common theme, They all employ a Zone Blocking scheme and deal with fairly (but not spectacular) mobile QB's

They're also all employed. As O coordinators, and the next step is head coach. I guess you're saying they'd take a lateral move for the opportunity to work with Luck? I'm not too sure about that.

More realistically, who is or will be available? But you must know that unless Arians chooses to leave its his job.

2.Marty Mornhinweg

4.Tom Clements

No way any of those guys make a move to take the exact same job they had going into the season to take over the Colts OC job. While we are throwing a list of guys we could have had I wouldn't had minded if the Colts could have gotten BB as head coach but something tells me he wasn't going to leave New England to take over our team. Just because a guy is out there doesn't mean he was a relastic option none of these guys you listed were. The ony one they might have had a chance to get was Clements but he wasn't going to leave Green Bay once he knew he could have the OC job there to come take the Colts job. Arians was an option because he was on the market for us to go get.

Also, rather we are going to be a zone blocking team or not is a call that is probably ultimately made by the HC/GM and then you get an OC and line coach that fits what you want to run on offense. Just because the Ravens used zone blocking doesn't mean Pagano wanted to bring it with him. Franly the players they had on offense didn't really fit a zone blocking system and our o-line would just be that much worse had we gone to it because then you would have had been trying to force square pegs into round holes.

I would also don't know if any of those coaches would have been ready to take over as a head coach with what we are facing with Pagano other than Mornhinweg whose track record as a head coach is not very good. Say what you will about Arians but he has done a great job taking over a team that could have very easily fallen apart and gotten them to buy into the Chuckstrong thing and it is producing results.

It's not Arians. It's the execution...

totally disagree!!

Arians likes the Big Bomb...

IMO

we need to do short passes and slants... What Luck did in College..

This would limit the Hits and Sacks on Luck ( preserve His Future ) and increase points and RedZone performance.

was never happy with him as OC...

I will not take away what He and the Colts have accomplished .. and I am very pleased where we are... I just hope he last as long as he did with Peyton...

It seems as though the Colts are practicing the long pass all throught the week and then attempting it over and over during the game. If they could work more on the short passing plays, then they would do better on 3rd down and also in the redzone. They know how to march down the field, but stall out where it counts. How many of those field goals that we settled for could have been touchdowns had we played a little better dink and dunk? Just my opinion.

word is 50/50 Kyle's gone after this season. If I remember correctly, his contract is up and he may test the waters - even if its a lateral move. That being said...I'm just a collector of information - not always 100% accurate - and with a statement like 50/50....really doesn't matter what i say at this point. :)

It may not be a popular opinion because of all the flak Griffin gets for the screens and short passes, but really more of that is what needs to be done here until that line gets up to par. Shanahan calls those plays because that line isn't all that great in traditional sets. Part of Griffin's success is due to play-calling and having a structured game plan with plays that build off one another over the course of the entire season. I made a post somewhere in these forums a couple months ago about this very thing. So I think yes, a fair share of the blame lies with Arians. However like some have said - you can't underestimate what he's meant to the team off the field either.

--- oh also with the talk about possibly making all blocks below the waist illegal, it may hinder how some employ the zone schemes. Personally I don't see that rule passing.

No way any of those guys make a move to take the exact same job they had going into the season to take over the Colts OC job. While we are throwing a list of guys we could have had I wouldn't had minded if the Colts could have gotten BB as head coach but something tells me he wasn't going to leave New England to take over our team. Just because a guy is out there doesn't mean he was a relastic option none of these guys you listed were. The ony one they might have had a chance to get was Clements but he wasn't going to leave Green Bay once he knew he could have the OC job there to come take the Colts job. Arians was an option because he was on the market for us to go get.

Also, rather we are going to be a zone blocking team or not is a call that is probably ultimately made by the HC/GM and then you get an OC and line coach that fits what you want to run on offense. Just because the Ravens used zone blocking doesn't mean Pagano wanted to bring it with him. Franly the players they had on offense didn't really fit a zone blocking system and our o-line would just be that much worse had we gone to it because then you would have had been trying to force square pegs into round holes.

I would also don't know if any of those coaches would have been ready to take over as a head coach with what we are facing with Pagano other than Mornhinweg whose track record as a head coach is not very good. Say what you will about Arians but he has done a great job taking over a team that could have very easily fallen apart and gotten them to buy into the Chuckstrong thing and it is producing results.

If our current O Line would be so bad with a Zone Blocking scheme then why was every O Lineman on our roster originally drafted in a Zone Blocking scheme? clearly they arent that good in the Man Blocking scheme and weren't until Arians started using some Zone Blocking schemes. Whos to say none of those coaches woudl not come over to the Colts? Pagano did and look how good was with the Ravens. I agree that the blocking scheme is made by the HC in most cases (Thats what Arians has installed and hired a O Line coach to teach that) but that clearly has not worked out, none of our guys were in Man Blocking schemes in college and none of them were drafted into that except Anderson, If the players the Ravens had did not fit the Zone scheme then how did Rice rack up 3 straight 1000+ yard seasons with that scheme? Have you not seen Arians trying to fit a square peg into a round hole all season long? and that includes the Man Blocking scheme we have primarily used, Not being confrontational I just disagree about many of the points you made, you also say none of the guys I mentioned were unrealistic but did not give any reasons for any of them, The whole BB thing is a given so does not apply because he was not on the market