Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we draft all O-Line this year?

Mr.Debonair

I'd prefer we actually avoid drafting OL, and instead go hard after them in FA....the problem is that drafting an OL takes time to develop. Look at AC, he's in year 2 and still having growing pains as a high draft choice.

I think a few key OL FA picks, and a few late round projects would go a long way for this team.

Use those picks on DBs and DL, or another weapon.

I'd prefer we actually avoid drafting OL, and instead go hard after them in FA....the problem is that drafting an OL takes time to develop. Look at AC, he's in year 2 and still having growing pains as a high draft choice.

I think a few key OL FA picks, and a few late round projects would go a long way for this team.

I'd like that weapon to be a big WR. But I agree with your strategy.

We can but i would rather use the free agent market. If we take a guy even in the first round it's going to take sometime for him to make an impact. Look at Castonzo he was thought to be the NFL read tackle in last year's draft and he's still showing signs of growing. I would much rather sign a guy or two that we know what we are getting. Add to that that Castonzo should keep getting better based on what we have seen from him so far and I think the o-line will be on the right track.

Honestly I don't know what's going to be in this draft at 3-4 outside linebacker but it wouldn't shock me if the Colts go there with the first round pick to replace Freeney.

I see the logic because O Linemen do take some time to develop but then again, Most O Linemen are Free Agents for a reason and much that reason more often then not is because some have been in the league for at least a few years and have not developed at all, Im more of the type that would take my chances in the draft with a potential star O Linemen rather then pick up what appears to be some no name O Linemen (to this point) who would be best as a depth player only (Satele, Justice and Mcglynn all come to mind as being all decent depth but none should be starting)

It could be argued since this looks to be such a D heavy draft with much depth that we should draft for O Line do to it being a major need (top 2 need)and O Line not being as deep (Although there are some really good ones for sure)

I see what you're saying but without our 2nd pick the first really needs to be a player capable of starting at the least. Can see there being that calibre of player being available on D, not so likely for O line.

That's what my gut says but a lot can happen between then and now. Our draft position will be the biggest decisive factor, the trade value for the pick is certainly diminishing quickly.

yeah, I still wouldn't have him then, he has been a penalty machine this year and not nearly good enough in coverage to make up for it

You aren't going to have pro-bowlers playing your nickle or dime backs. He would be fine in that role his problem is this year is that he's been asked to be the number one or number two corner most of the season. Most nickle or dime backs are going to struggle in that role. I think that poster was saying get Davis healthy sign a number two corner and use a combnation of Butler and Vaughn off the bench. That would be fine.

Buffalo's got arguably the most talented front 4 in the league. I'm not surprised they played us tough. I'm just glad we were able to run when we had to and converted the short yardage situations we did. A few quicker developing passes would probably help.

They were trying screens today and the Bills did a good job either breaking up the passes or tackling the guy right away. I think some credits needs to go to the Bills today that's for sure but at the sametime we've known the o-line was a problem going into the season. They weren't good enough today but other spots of the team (namely special teams) were and they were able to over come the sub par line play.

No, Davis will be back and I expect us to sign Powers' replacement in FA. Davis, either DRC or Sam Shields, Vaughn and Butler sounds good to me.

davis is great but he's only 1 cb and from what im hearing drc will be the eagles 1st priority in the offseason, asomugha will most likely be cut. sam shields is injury prone and vaughn and butler are both inconsistent. xavier rhodes would be the best pick in the draft, he's physical,fast, and plays on the ball well. davis,rhodes,and gordy would be a great trio of cb's.

I really wanna say we say we can rely on Davis but I really dont know if were going to be able to with his injuries. If he comes back next week and can stay healthy the rest of thr season my mind might change. But if he goes out again then Im gonna be doubting. Im stivking with Richardson or A Rhodes or Poyer.

games are won with a quality qb and in the trenches

Yes they are but if we are counting on rookies to win the trenches for us it will probably be close to what we have seen out of the line this year. I think they need to use their money and go after linemen that way. I wouldn't be against drafting a CB with the first pick if we get help with the o-line in free agency.

We can but i would rather use the free agent market. If we take a guy even in the first round it's going to take sometime for him to make an impact. Look at Castonzo he was thought to be the NFL read tackle in last year's draft and he's still showing signs of growing. I would much rather sign a guy or two that we know what we are getting. Add to that that Castonzo should keep getting better based on what we have seen from him so far and I think the o-line will be on the right track.

Honestly I don't know what's going to be in this draft at 3-4 outside linebacker but it wouldn't shock me if the Colts go there with the first round pick to replace Freeney.

we should have money this year for free agency pick ups that are Quality @ whatever position the staff chooses

Yes they are but if we are counting on rookies to win the trenches for us it will probably be close to what we have seen out of the line this year. I think they need to use their money and go after linemen that way. I wouldn't be against drafting a CB with the first pick if we get help with the o-line in free agency.

i agree

We're going Defense this year. We went HEAVY Offense last year. Now we go HEAVY Defense with our Small Amount of Picks we do have. FA is for Offense I would assume. This Draft is too heavy on Defense for us not to take Advantage it.

Take a S, Few CB's, & D-lineman that can be converted to or Play LB like we did with Jerry Hughes.

We're going Defense this year. We went HEAVY Offense last year. Now we go HEAVY Defense with our Small Amount of Picks we do have. FA is for Offense I would assume. This Draft is too heavy on Defense for us not to take Advantage it.

Take a S, Few CB's, & D-lineman that can be converted to or Play LB like we did with Jerry Hughes.

This is a great year for OLB/DE pass rushers. I think we can pick up a heck of a talent there in the first to be Freeney's successor.

Maybe the play calling should be adjusted a Lil to get some quicker throws

This has got to happen.

Look at how fast Brady got it out of his hands and destroyed us.

Look how Peyton makes an average O-Line look like Gods.

Now imagine if we actually gave Luck this option instead of trying to throw the ball 30+ yards 20 times a game.

We need to sure up the OL but FA is probably a better answer for that. We could use a future #1 WR, another shutdown corner, a dominate rusher, or even DL. Just go with best player available and there's a great chance it's 1 of those positions. And actually I'd take a OL too if he's that good.

This has got to happen.

Look at how fast Brady got it out of his hands and destroyed us.

Look how Peyton makes an average O-Line look like Gods.

Now imagine if we actually gave Luck this option instead of trying to throw the ball 30+ yards 20 times a game.

No kidding. I like BAs ideas but we gotta mix in more basic, short route plays. Not every play has to be cloak and dagger stuff. Heck Luck probably remembers every play from his Stanford play book, use some of those.

Top OLine Free Agents include:

Jake Long (MIA) - OT - A year ago, Joe Thomas set a new standard for offensive tackles with a 7-year, $84 million contract. The Dolphins are not expected to allow one of the best tackles in the league walk, but with a franchise tag number 120% of his cap number this year, $15.4 million will give Jake Long some leverage in negotiations.

Ryan Clady (DEN) - OT - After several seasons as one of the better left tackles in the league, Clady's is on his expiring rookie contract. After turning down a 5-year, $50 million offer from the Broncos prior to this season, there is some indication that he's looking for something more in the Joe Thomas ballpark. It's unlikely the Broncos, or any other team, will be willing to go that high, but if his demands persist, it brings the franchise tag into play.

Branden Albert (KC) - OT - Albert is among the best all-around left tackles in the league today. With the Chiefs emphasis on the run game and returning to the dominant offensive line that made them offensive powerhouses early last decade, even an offseason with other key free agents ready to hit the market, Albert should get his payday in red.

Sebastian Vollmer (NE) - OT - After a back injury that cost him most of the 2011 season, Vollmer returns to the starting lineup in 2012. He'll be 29 prior to the start of the next season and just coming off his rookie contract. When healthy, Vollmer has been among the league's best right tackles. If they can trust him to remain healthy, they will make a play for him.

Brandon Moore (NYJ) - OG - Though Moore will be 33 when the 2013 season begins, he may also be the best offensive guard on the market. With a Jets offensive line that was not too long ago the best in the league, they are now a unit that has felt pain attempting to replace former starters. Losing a player of Moore's caliber on the line could be devastating to an offense that has struggled to form an identity and develop even a sign of consistency.

Andy Levitre (BUF) - OG - Starting every game of his career so far, Levitre's versatility and consistency has brought tremendous value to the organization over the past couple years. With a healthy offensive line the Bills have found terrific success in running the ball with Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, and even Tashard Choice. Keeping this unit intact will be important for the Bills offense.

Andre Smith (CIN) - OT - Though the former 6th overall pick probably hasn't lived up to his expectations, Smith has developed into an effective right tackle for the Bengals. Though Cincinnati would probably have to search for another right tackle if he moves on, but generally these high draft picks have a way of not staying with their original team if they don't pan out all the way. Weight is a concern, but Smith could be one of the more realistic possible options in free agency.

Sam Baker (ATL) - OT - Over the last year or two, Sam Baker has been battling a chronic injury and Will Svitek for a starting job. At full health, Baker has been an effective left tackle for the Falcons. At less than full health, he's been a borderline liability. Baker is an example of the type of player every year where his own team has the best injury read on him. If the Falcons can trust his health, they will trust signing him to a solid second contract.

I want to write a tender 4-paged letter to Grigs to requesting that he picks up Ray Ray Armstrong...the defect from Miami he's a 6-4 Safety that got booted off the team for taking money from boosters...Kid was a monster in college was okay at The U..he's more of a project a la Vontaze Burfict but I think Pagano could coach him up...def a 6-7th round pick...but his size and speed can't be ignored.