Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2 trips to the redzone in the 1st half...

YOUR GM

And only 2 fieldgoals to show for it against the worst redzone defense in the league. It's clear that Arians can't scheme effective route combinations the more the field shrinks because he's all about the long ball. Don't expect this offense to ever become a juggernaut as long as he's the signal caller.

EDIT: And if I see one more receiver motion followed by a bubble screen, I'm gonna scream

And only 2 fieldgoals to show for it against the worst redzone defense in the league. It's clear that Arians can't scheme effective route combinations the more the field shrinks because he's all about the long ball. Don't expect this offense to ever become a juggernaut as long as he's the signal caller. Just sayin

Need an o line to have the threat of a run in the red zone. Do you think it's easy to get guys open when they're playing pass exclusive?

I just wish Arians would go with some shorter routes to extend drives sometimes.

Need an o line to have the threat of a run in the red zone. Do you think it's easy to get guys open when they're playing pass exclusive?

I just wish Arians would go with some shorter routes to extend drives sometimes.

I am pretty much trying to give up the Arians fight(with no success), its been well established he cant coach or play call his way out of a paper bag, I'm more interested in knowing when his contract is up because that will be a day to celebrate in my apartment

I am pretty much trying to give up the Arians fight(with no success), its been well established he cant coach or play call his way out of a paper bag, I'm more interested in knowing when his contract is up because that will be a day to celebrate in my apartment

I like Arians as a motivator, but it seems as if he calls too many deep passes. You gotta take what the defense gives you. Look what the Pats do. If they are covering deep, throw tons of short passes and carve the defense up that way.

I hope starting next year that Luck is running the offense and calling his own plays.

I like Arians as a motivator, but it seems as if he calls too many deep passes. You gotta take what the defense gives you. Look what the Pats do. If they are covering deep, throw tons of short passes and carve the defense up that way.

I hope starting next year that Luck is running the offense and calling his own plays.

I agree, we don't have the line for some of those long pass plays. But, as they say, you are what your record says you are. So you have to give Arians credit.

I actually like our run/pass mix and our focus on the vertical game. We just need to work the underneath a little more, and part of that also involves Luck going to the open underneath options on some of those long balls. That's not all on Arians.

It's not an easy system to transition to for a young team- particularly one that traditionally hasn't had the line to run block well or has had to pass protect for extended amounts of time.

If there's one thing that's been driving me nuts more than any of our play on the field, it's the impatience of the fanbase with how quick we are to say certain coaches or players are busts or disappointments. It's maddening. We're blowing away any reasonable preseason expectations, right in the thick of the playoff hunt in our first year of rebuilding, and our own fans are acting like we're the Jaguars.

If the defense holds the jags for one freaking play, we only have 3 losses. Ariansnis being tough on luck. He doesn't coddle him, but he encourages him after mistakes. Kraivitzs had an article about this early in the season. Luck will struggle early, but he is going to be much better because of it. I agree. I do think that we should go underneath a tad more, but we do NOT want to be like the pats. We will be better than them soon enough. I believe that with all my heart.

We donot have a power running game.

We donot have big bodied receivers that can block off dbs or out jump them or outfight them for the ball.

We have an OL line that stuggles to pass protect.

We have a QB that has now played in 11 NFL games.

Does the above make for a team that is "effective in the redzone ?"

Don't blame Arians.

We donot have big bodied receivers that can block off dbs or out jump them or outfight them for the ball.

Don't blame Arians.

All that is relevant, and it matters, but that doesn't mean that Arians' play calling isn't a problem. It obviously is.

Don't blame Arians.

The Steelers did, and he still called the same plays.

And only 2 fieldgoals to show for it against the worst redzone defense in the league. It's clear that Arians can't scheme effective route combinations the more the field shrinks because he's all about the long ball. Don't expect this offense to ever become a juggernaut as long as he's the signal caller.

EDIT: And if I see one more receiver motion followed by a bubble screen, I'm gonna scream

I'm not thrilled with the situational play calling, but it still mostly comes down to execution IMO. If Luck isn't hit on the throw to Ballard, it's a TD. Block it up, and it's a TD. This offense is putting them in position to score. They just have to finish drives. If they finish drives, the games begin to take on a different character.

The Steelers did, and he still called the same plays.

I looked up the Steelers TD efficiency in the redzone and conclude you that think Arains is weak there seem to have a valid point.They ranked mostly from the middle and lower. What we don't know is if he was instructed to be a bit conservative as the Steelers have had some great defenses probably played with leads a great majority of the time. However multiple years around 20th is multiple years around 20th.

I'm not thrilled with the situational play calling, but it still mostly comes down to execution IMO. If Luck isn't hit on the throw to Ballard, it's a TD. Block it up, and it's a TD. This offense is putting them in position to score. They just have to finish drives. If they finish drives, the games begin to take on a different character.

If you know you have protection issues, you should call plays that don't put as much pressure on your line to protect. Especially on crucial downs. Arians constant use of an empty backfield on third down shows a stubborn refusal to make up for the deficient line play.

I don't think he should scrap his entire play book. I just think he could do a couple things differently that would help cover over some of the obvious weaknesses we have. Getting the backs involved in the passing game and using less empty backfield on third down and in the red zone would make me very happy.

Nitpick. Colts are winning and that is, ultimately, what matters.

Sure, they need improvement in most all facets, but bottom line is the W/L ratio. Arians is seriously in the running for coach of the year, in my book.

Defense and special teams won the game yesterday. They're winning in spite of Arians right now, in my opinion. But whatever, if praising him means he leaves for a HC job next year (and is ultimately off of our hands), give him "coach of the year," PLEASE

The ironic part is I believe Luck was phenomenal in the Red Zone in college. I couldn't believe we didn't bring Carter in to run or at least roll out a couple plays given Luck's speed and size. I still believe we need to send Arians the Dummy's Guide to Short & Dump Passes as we have so many opportunities especially with our speed.

The ironic part is I believe Luck was phenomenal in the Red Zone in college. I couldn't believe we didn't bring Carter in to run or at least roll out a couple plays given Luck's speed and size. I still believe we need to send Arians the Dummy's Guide to Short & Dump Passes as we have so many opportunities especially with our speed.

I agree that we should to have Luck roll out more, especially in the red zone. That way, teams not only have to worry about the pass, but also worry about him running the ball in. Luck is very good throwing the ball when rolling out, it gives him and the receivers more time to get open, and cuts down on the pass rush. I really don't like to see a QB run, but there are times when it is necessary, and since he is so big, and such a threat, this should be incorporated more into the offense. And, if worse comes to worse, he can always just toss the ball safely out of bounds, without losing yards. I get so tired of the Colts just running basic straight ahead hand offs in short yardage, our line isn't the best, and one can basically tell its coming due to the formation.

I personally would love to know what the stats are, (via run or pass), when Luck rolls out..I'm pretty sure that it's gotta be a great percentage of positive gains.

Yeah, but he had 3 tight ends over 6 foot 6 and the threat of one of the best running games in college football. Aside from a couple Carter short TD's we've had no Rushing production in the redzone. Case in point Luck has our most rushing touchdowns. The threat of the run has to be there and you can't just chuck up a fade and expect one of our smurf recievers to come down with it, Fleener should be able to help, hopefully.

Yeah, but he had 3 tight ends over 6 foot 6 and the threat of one of the best running games in college football. Aside from a couple Carter short TD's we've had no Rushing production in the redzone. Case in point Luck has our most rushing touchdowns. The threat of the run has to be there and you can't just chuck up a fade and expect one of our smurf recievers to come down with it, Fleener should be able to help, hopefully.

Lack of rushing production and lack rushing attempts are two very diffferent things. Kind of hard for our backs to score rushing TD's in the redzone when they're constantly on the sideline or lined up out wide whenever we reach that part of the field. Case in point, the 1st time we made it to the redzone yesterday, we handed it off to Brown on 1st down (gain of 4) and handed it off to him again on 2nd down (gain of 3.) With a 3rd and 3 inside the 10 yard line after 2 respectable gains on the ground, you'd think Arians would stick with a run look and maybe go play action, right? Wrong. 3rd and 3 on the 7 yard line, he takes Brown off the field completely, puts Ballard in and calls an empty backfield for an incomplete pass. Drive results in field goal.You want to know the worst thing about that play on 3rd and 3? Arians called a timeout before they ran the play, meaning he actually took time to call the offense over and look for what he felt was the best play in that situation. Such a horrible play call out of a timeout. He has no concept of plays complimenting each other.

The 2nd time we made it into the redzone was just before the half. Reggie caught a pass that got us to the 3 yard line. Now, we didn't have anymore timeouts with only 16 secs left on the clock, so I understand having to call all pass plays in that situation. However, common sense tells you that all pass plays should be called in the endzone or to the sidelines so the clock will stop if the pass is incomplete. The 1st play we ran was so sloppy, none of the routes were defined at all. I think I saw Avery and Allen in the same area on the incomplete pass to Allen. Play had no chance. The 2nd play ran is what was pure stupidity on Arians part. He calls a slant to Reggie just outside the endzone. Of course, Reggie is tackled short of the endzone right away and the clock continues to run, thus eliminating any chance of another shot in the endzone before settling for a fieldgoal. If he were going to call any routes short of the endzone, he should've kept a back in the backfield and at least made them think about the possibility of a draw or a flat route by the back. Would've had the same level of risk as the play he ended up running with an empty backfield.

The guy is a dope inside the 20's, plain and simple. We don't run well inside the redzone because we don't try. And when we do try, we telegraph which way every run is going with the constant TE motions