Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts were interested in Russell Wilson [Merge]

deedub75

What makes you say that? I find it surprising that the Colts and Redskins were interested in him in the 3rd round, especially since they got great QBs in the first round. Unless the plan was to "Kevin Kolb" Russell Wilson, I don't think it would have been a great idea to take him so early.

We were eyeing him in the 4th round where we took Kirk Cousins, not the 3rd where we passed on him for a guard. It's been a generally accepted fact that Rex Grossman isn't likely to stick around for very long (he was a free agent and we only gave him a one year deal), so we were going to have to try and develop someone as a backup sooner than later.

We were eyeing him in the 4th round where we took Kirk Cousins, not the 3rd where we passed on him for a guard. It's been a generally accepted fact that Rex Grossman isn't likely to stick around for very long (he was a free agent and we only gave him a one year deal), so we were going to have to try and develop someone as a backup sooner than later.

Do you think 4th round is too high for a backup QB?

Do you think 4th round is too high for a backup QB?

I'll add my two cents. This isn't one of many posts that fall into the HATERG3 mantra that many promote and support here, but with the Redskins already having RG3&out(Grossman[Credit given to Christ Mortensen], they needed to address the QB position and with the offense Shanahan is running, his starting QB will take a few more hits than a normal quarterback so while I think it is a bit high for most teams, unless they do want to try to groom him and deal him in the future, I don't see it as a horrible decision. Maybe Cousins would have been around the next round but someone might have snatched him.

He is more athletic than Grossman and the offense wouldn't have to be as altered as much if he were to go out. I know the Panthers had an interest in Wilson as well.

I'll add my two cents. This isn't one of many posts that fall into the HATERG3 mantra that many promote and support here, but with the Redskins already having RG3&out(Grossman[Credit given to Christ Mortensen], they needed to address the QB position and with the offense Shanahan is running, his starting QB will take a few more hits than a normal quarterback so while I think it is a bit high for most teams, unless they do want to try to groom him and deal him in the future, I don't see it as a horrible decision. Maybe Cousins would have been around the next round but someone might have snatched him.

He is more athletic than Grossman and the offense wouldn't have to be as altered as much if he were to go out. I know the Panthers had an interest and Wilson as well.

Makes sense

i thought that was a good idea at the time. Especially if he was available in the 4th rd.

Much cheaper than what we are paying our backup now. A Superior 4 year ins. policy.

And Russell Wilson would have hated it in Indy... He was given a shot to start for the Seahawks and has performed exceptionally, it would have been a shame for a talent like that to rot away on the Colts bench. The guy deserves to be a starter and it worked out for everyone in the end, but what a tragedy it would have been if he was stuck in a bubble of irrelevancy as a backup.

I'm just going to take this in the most positive way, which is to say that the Colts were considering a QB who has had a fantastic rookie season, and when he was taken before their pick, ended up settling for a WR who has had a fantastic rookie season.

I think that speaks rather highly of our scouting department.

I thought Wlson should have been drafted by Miami (since Miami was dead set on drafting a QB despite not having any WR's) instead of Tannehill, Im happy for Wilson though, actually going to a team with decent WR's, worked out good for him to this point

I'm not sure I'm buying this. Russell Wilson was taken 75th. The Colts traded up 5 spots from 97th to 92nd. I think Russell Wilson was off the board before this trade was even made. BTW, we gave up a 5th in the 2013 draft to move up those 5 spots. I also seem to recall a report that Pagano was ticked-off that the defensive player they traded up for went off the board a couple spots ahead (NE traded up to #90 to take Jake Bequette DE?).. then they decided on Hilton.

Interesting. I wonder how they planned on getting him on the field. I always thought Mr. Irrelevant was a waste of a pick since he'd never see the field, but I can understand wanting to groom a backup for the future.

Wilson is too good to ride the bench.

I heard through the grape vine that Mr. Irrelevant has progressed to a game ready QB. What have you heard?

If Russell Wilson would have been 6'0" or 6'1", he would have been taken in round 1 or top of round 2.

His success bodes well for Johnny Manziel. QBs that can make plays outside the pocket are being pursued more aggressively in the new NFL. Teams are not afraid to run offenses similar to what a QB had in college to make the transition easier. I wonder why Jeff Fisher did not do those more with Vince Young.

This could also be a reason why college coaches will succeed in the NFL too. David Shaw of Stanford could become the Chargers head coach, who knows???

I never believe in grooming a backup the same year as your starter. The reason being that a drafted backup within the first 4 rounds, you will never know his ceiling unless you give him a fair shot and it is impossible to give a back up the same fair shot behind a starter drafted No.1 or No.2 It is best to go after a vet/experienced one whose ceiling you already know but is someone who can catch on to your offense pretty fast. I think Stanton fits the bill best for us.

Imagine if we traded the first pick to Cleveland for #4, #22, and #34 and first and second next year. (comparable to Redskins trade who gave up 1st and 2nd rds next 3 yrs) We kept Peyton and drafted Wilson in the third. Things worked out perfectly for us and I'm content with Peyton moving on but Russell might have made a very good qb in waiting. He does remind me of Brees. Incredibly accurate. Plays bigger than he is. No moment is too much for him. He is fortunate he has a great offensive line to open up passing lanes for him. There were many alternatives we could have went if we stuck with Peyton and I think we could have put an incredible team around him...especially focusing on the offensive by getting Kalil or Richardson then Reiff or Decastro and then back to defense like Jenkins and Upshaw or Wolfe at the top of the second. We could have still got Allen and then Russell in the third. Would have sucked to not take TY and Fleener and Luck but there are always other options that wouldn't have been bad. Perhaps instead of trading away that second rder for Davis we use it for Josh Gordon or we have a ton of flexibility next year with two first rders and two second rders. Sure we would have had to let Freeney go to keep Peyton but the rest of what we did could have been very much similar because the money would have pretty much evened out. The possibilities are endless but clearly the path we are on while not every pick and choice was perfect is the right path.

A lot of people didn't think Wilson would pan out in the NFL.

I'm glad to say that I'm not one of them..lol. I saw him at NC State and watched him effectively run a pro style offense at Wisconsin. It sucks that his height knocked him back so far but this guy has a good head on his shoulder and is grounded (yes, I watch the Real Rob Report..lol).

I'm glad to say that I'm not one of them..lol. I saw him at NC State and watched him effectively run a pro style offense at Wisconsin. It sucks that his height knocked him back so far but this guy has a good head on his shoulder and is grounded (yes, I watch the Real Rob Report..lol).

I remember sites comparing his bowl game numbers to Lucks, and Wilson coming out way on top. The guy produces, and it was his height that kept him out of round 1.

Imagine if we traded the first pick to Cleveland for #4, #22, and #34 and first and second next year. (comparable to Redskins trade who gave up 1st and 2nd rds next 3 yrs) We kept Peyton and drafted Wilson in the third. Things worked out perfectly for us and I'm content with Peyton moving on but Russell might have made a very good qb in waiting. He does remind me of Brees. Incredibly accurate. Plays bigger than he is. No moment is too much for him. He is fortunate he has a great offensive line to open up passing lanes for him. There were many alternatives we could have went if we stuck with Peyton and I think we could have put an incredible team around him...especially focusing on the offensive by getting Kalil or Richardson then Reiff or Decastro and then back to defense like Jenkins and Upshaw or Wolfe at the top of the second. We could have still got Allen and then Russell in the third. Would have sucked to not take TY and Fleener and Luck but there are always other options that wouldn't have been bad. Perhaps instead of trading away that second rder for Davis we use it for Josh Gordon or we have a ton of flexibility next year with two first rders and two second rders. Sure we would have had to let Freeney go to keep Peyton but the rest of what we did could have been very much similar because the money would have pretty much evened out. The possibilities are endless but clearly the path we are on while not every pick and choice was perfect is the right path.

this again?

sadly people can't be happy that we have a possible superstar here now

I think he is pretty happy especially given our record(not tryng to put words in your mouth Smonroe but I took ya as someone who is happy with how this season has turned out to this point). But at the same time Peyton had a great history as a Colt, Will go down as the greatest QB in the regular season of all time one day probably and he will have done MOST of that as a Colt, Those are memories and excitement for that player that will never go away and shoul not be forced to go away. I think many of us may have been entertaining something similar to Smonroes idea a time or two however brief, heck I even entertained it several times right before the draft myself but logic kicked in and I would rather go for 10-15 years of success rather then 4-5 of mediocrity and thats all without knowing exactly how Peyton himself was doing health wise. In the end it appeared to work out but some will always wonder what might have been, I do sometimes and thats with us going 8-4 sometimes even if I dont let it out on the boards

Interesting. I wonder how they planned on getting him on the field. I always thought Mr. Irrelevant was a waste of a pick since he'd never see the field, but I can understand wanting to groom a backup for the future.

Wilson is too good to ride the bench.

When it comes to a back-up qb, we are fortunate to have Stanton in the roll. He's probably the best back-up the Colts have had in years.

I'm totally happy with Luck. He has been really solid this year. Is he as good as Peyton. No....but that's my humble opinion and I think in a few years he will get his turnovers down and will be one of the best qbs in the league. I was just saying that it would have been an intriguing option to have Russell backing up Peyton and then replacing him in a few years while rebuilding the team with the draft pick paloza we would have received by trading Luck. I will say that this has worked out beautifully though for everyone involved as Peyton is playing MVP caliber and will have the chance to take Denver to the SB for the next couple years and the Colts have a very very successful transition with Luck. Its a win win.