•  

Photo

Colts were interested in Russell Wilson [Merge]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 deedub75

deedub75
  • 1632 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Just saw on NFL Countdown that the Colts were gonna take Russell Wilson with the 92nd pick instead of TY Hilton but the Seahawks took him before we picked. It seems like they were serious about having a good backup QB
"I have 3 kids and no money. Why can't I have 3 money and no kids?" - Homer Simpson

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Nobody

Nobody
  • 4679 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and doubt that.
I will delete this when the new Colts win a Super Bowl.

Come on boys, let's get rid of the rest of my sig!

#3 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 6293 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Just saw on NFL Countdown that the Colts were gonna take Russell Wilson with the 92nd pick instead of TY Hilton but the Seahawks took him before we picked. It seems like they were serious about having a good backup QB

Interesting. I wonder how they planned on getting him on the field. I always thought Mr. Irrelevant was a waste of a pick since he'd never see the field, but I can understand wanting to groom a backup for the future.

Wilson is too good to ride the bench.

#4 Stephen

Stephen
  • 2430 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Yea wilson is too good to ride bench

#5 Kyle

Kyle
  • 1388 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Grigson did come from Philly. Might not seem like a smart pick for this year but after he showed his stuff in a few preseasons we could have traded him away for a lot more than a 3rd round pick. Not saying I would have been happy about a 2nd QB in the first 3 rnds but maybe Grigson had a Kolb like situation in mind.

#6 SteelCityColt

SteelCityColt
  • 3358 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

With so many leaks to plug I can't see them drafting another QB that high.

#7 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 13234 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

What's the source on this? I like Wilson, but I think he is too good to be on the bench, as others have said. With that said, it's difficult to say that if a guy is just on the bench. Today, no one would bench Tom Brady, but he was a backup at some point in his career, and coming out of the draft, few people would have said he is too good to sit on the bench.
When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#8 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 6673 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hmm...That would have been interesting.

Houston Texans, 2011, 2012 AFC South Champions

#9 coltsfanatic24

coltsfanatic24
  • 2826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

i doubt it too many needs at other positions.

#10 coltsrule91

coltsrule91
  • 7006 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

we would have probably asked him to play another position. no way we were gonna waste a third round pick for a backup qb

its not T.Y its T.watttttttttt WHAT DID T JUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 LJpalmbeacher

LJpalmbeacher
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm glad we have T.Y. instead.

#12 throwingBBS

throwingBBS
  • 2546 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

i thought that was a good idea at the time. Especially if he was available in the 4th rd.
Much cheaper than what we are paying our backup now. A Superior 4 year ins. policy.

#13 Tark The Shark

Tark The Shark
  • 2388 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks, but no thanks.

Russell is too good to be a back up.

I could imagine it if we still had Peyton on the roster.

But Luck & Wilson on the same team, that would be a head-scratcher.
“Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the heck you're doing.”- Peyton Manning

#14 Mouthfire

Mouthfire
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Seeing how Collie is out for the season (and potentially permanently), the Hilton pick looks really really smart, in retrospect.

#15 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11326 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

ok
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#16 AustinCollie17

AustinCollie17

• 2134 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Seeing how Collie is out for the season (and potentially permanently), the Hilton pick looks really really smart, in retrospect.

Indeed. We got a baller in T.Y.
Waiting for the draft...

#17 Dan

Dan

#bradyquinnforthemaddencover

• 1371 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I thought Skins taking Cousins was a stupid pick, so I'd have been upset if this had happened.

#18 funktacious2

funktacious2
  • 1768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

That would be neat.

#19 loluck

loluck
  • Banned
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Russell Wilson > Andrew "turnover" loluck lol

#20 loluck

loluck
  • Banned
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Russell Wilson would have taken the starting job...

#21 SteelCityColt

SteelCityColt
  • 3358 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Russell Wilson > Andrew "turnover" loluck lol

Ahh lolluck how is life under the bridge?

#22 Malakai432

Malakai432
  • 6338 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

He likes cupcakes, that I do know.

Vontae Davis is what happens when an unstoppable force meets and immovable object, then they have a kid! 

Dancing Monkey BAM!  :monkeydance: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Bandit strikes again~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#23 loluck

loluck
  • Banned
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Awesome. Thanks for asking.

#24 SteelCityColt

SteelCityColt
  • 3358 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Awesome. Thanks for asking.

I wouldn't want it said we're not a friendly and welcoming board :P

#25 loluck

loluck
  • Banned
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I wouldn't want it said we're not a friendly and welcoming board :P

Truthfully, most of the posters here are incredibly likeable and good sports. It's only a select few that make me want to come out from under my bridge. It's super comfy under there...

#26 Captain Americolt

Captain Americolt
  • 2568 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Truthfully, most of the posters here are incredibly likeable and good sports. It's only a select few that make me want to come out from under my bridge. It's super comfy under there...

We're all friendly here. Just remember this is a Colts forum and alot of posters wont like someone continually hating on Luck and loving Griffin III. Especially when it looks alot like trolling.

#27 SteelCityColt

SteelCityColt
  • 3358 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Ha lucky for you the billy GOAT ain't in these parts anymore. :)

#28 deedub75

deedub75
  • 1632 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

It was Adam Schefter who reported it. He named three other teams that were planning on drafting Wilson if the Seahawks didn't take him. I'm glad we took TY though.
"I have 3 kids and no money. Why can't I have 3 money and no kids?" - Homer Simpson

#29 deedub75

deedub75
  • 1632 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

What's the source on this? I like Wilson, but I think he is too good to be on the bench, as others have said. With that said, it's difficult to say that if a guy is just on the bench. Today, no one would bench Tom Brady, but he was a backup at some point in his career, and coming out of the draft, few people would have said he is too good to sit on the bench.

It was Adam Schefter. He reported that three other teams were interested.

#30 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 12947 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and doubt that.

I dont believe that either......why???

#31 manning04

manning04
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Good thing for Wilson we didn't

This post is brought to you today by Qdoba!

#32 MTC

MTC

The Governor

• Community Moderator
  • 4873 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Via footballguys.com

The Indianapolis Colts had interest in Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson during the third round of the NFL Draft to serve as a backup to QB Andrew Luck before selecting WR T.Y. Hilton.

Interesting...

As0FtW6.png

Formerly known as ManningToCollie.

#33 Nobody

Nobody
  • 4679 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

There is a topic on this already from a while back.

I will delete this when the new Colts win a Super Bowl.

Come on boys, let's get rid of the rest of my sig!

#34 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 13234 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Among the teams interested in Wilson were the Eagles (who ended up taking Foles), us (took Hilton), and the Redskins (who took Cousins). This is all according to Adam Schefter's 10 Spot. Looks like Seattle was the best place for him. He wouldn't be starting here or in Washington and Philly is a big mess.
When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#35 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL
  • 2607 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Mel Kiper has said if Russell Wilson wasn't 5' 10.5 " that he would have been right up there with Luck and RG3. Brees made it acceptable to have a 6 foot franchise QB. If Wilson keeps improving and impressing, he'll break that under 6 foot rule for future teams too. His short stature is the only glaring thing that made him drop in the draft. Current wisdom says you need 6'4" or taller and 225 or greater to get a QB that can see over lineman and deliver the ball. Brees, and now Wilson, are strong challengers to that wisdom. OTOH, Brees has regressed this season (at least in Int's). But that could be losing his HC/Playcaller too.

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.”       -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

#36 RGIII

RGIII
  • 1083 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Among the teams interested in Wilson were the Eagles (who ended up taking Foles), us (took Hilton), and the Redskins (who took Cousins). This is all according to Adam Schefter's 10 Spot. Looks like Seattle was the best place for him. He wouldn't be starting here or in Washington and Philly is a big mess.

I suspect he would have done very well in Philly, might have even bought Reid more time. Can't say I'm surprised that we were interested in him.

#37 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 6661 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Honestly..... though, I suppose it's possible, I don't believe it.

I don't think in your first draft to build a team one would use the 92nd pick to take a back-up QB.

Honestly, it makes little sense to me.

The 5th round -- maybe. But not the 3rd. Too high a pick to use on a back-up QB when you're trying to take other players that will actually play. We had way too many other needs (still do!) This doesn't add up. It would be one thing if we were already a playoff quality team and we're looking for another final piece to a puzzle.... but we're a long ways from that and certainly were last April...

Wonder if Grigson will chime in? I wouldn't read too much into anything if he doesn't, but I'm the curious sort.....

Sometimes you hear something in the media and think that it doesn't add up..... to me, this is one of those times....

#38 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11326 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

TY over Russell
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#39 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 13234 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I suspect he would have done very well in Philly, might have even bought Reid more time. Can't say I'm surprised that we were interested in him.

What makes you say that? I find it surprising that the Colts and Redskins were interested in him in the 3rd round, especially since they got great QBs in the first round. Unless the plan was to "Kevin Kolb" Russell Wilson, I don't think it would have been a great idea to take him so early.

#40 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6662 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Just because we were interested in him does not mean they actually had all intentions of picking him. I'm sure they were interested in about 10 different players in that spot.

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today". -- James Dean.

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Apr
    Bogie

The Fender Stratocaster turned 60, Happy Birthday to the man's best friend. You can never go wrong with a good strat, never.

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      16 Apr
    ColtsBTM12

I saw in the Colts mailbag that Nicks will wear number 14. That's weird. I wish they would have just given him 88. Marvin was great, but you don't have to retire everyone's number that's ever been good on your team.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates