Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deedub75

Colts were interested in Russell Wilson [Merge]

71 posts in this topic

Just saw on NFL Countdown that the Colts were gonna take Russell Wilson with the 92nd pick instead of TY Hilton but the Seahawks took him before we picked. It seems like they were serious about having a good backup QB

Just saw on NFL Countdown that the Colts were gonna take Russell Wilson with the 92nd pick instead of TY Hilton but the Seahawks took him before we picked. It seems like they were serious about having a good backup QB

Interesting. I wonder how they planned on getting him on the field. I always thought Mr. Irrelevant was a waste of a pick since he'd never see the field, but I can understand wanting to groom a backup for the future.

Wilson is too good to ride the bench.

Grigson did come from Philly. Might not seem like a smart pick for this year but after he showed his stuff in a few preseasons we could have traded him away for a lot more than a 3rd round pick. Not saying I would have been happy about a 2nd QB in the first 3 rnds but maybe Grigson had a Kolb like situation in mind.

What's the source on this? I like Wilson, but I think he is too good to be on the bench, as others have said. With that said, it's difficult to say that if a guy is just on the bench. Today, no one would bench Tom Brady, but he was a backup at some point in his career, and coming out of the draft, few people would have said he is too good to sit on the bench.

we would have probably asked him to play another position. no way we were gonna waste a third round pick for a backup qb

i thought that was a good idea at the time. Especially if he was available in the 4th rd.

Much cheaper than what we are paying our backup now. A Superior 4 year ins. policy.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Russell is too good to be a back up.

I could imagine it if we still had Peyton on the roster.

But Luck & Wilson on the same team, that would be a head-scratcher.

Seeing how Collie is out for the season (and potentially permanently), the Hilton pick looks really really smart, in retrospect.

1 person likes this

Seeing how Collie is out for the season (and potentially permanently), the Hilton pick looks really really smart, in retrospect.

Indeed. We got a baller in T.Y.

I thought Skins taking Cousins was a stupid pick, so I'd have been upset if this had happened.

Russell Wilson would have taken the starting job...

1 person likes this

I wouldn't want it said we're not a friendly and welcoming board :P

Truthfully, most of the posters here are incredibly likeable and good sports. It's only a select few that make me want to come out from under my bridge. It's super comfy under there...

Truthfully, most of the posters here are incredibly likeable and good sports. It's only a select few that make me want to come out from under my bridge. It's super comfy under there...

We're all friendly here. Just remember this is a Colts forum and alot of posters wont like someone continually hating on Luck and loving Griffin III. Especially when it looks alot like trolling.

Ha lucky for you the billy GOAT ain't in these parts anymore. :)

It was Adam Schefter who reported it. He named three other teams that were planning on drafting Wilson if the Seahawks didn't take him. I'm glad we took TY though.

What's the source on this? I like Wilson, but I think he is too good to be on the bench, as others have said. With that said, it's difficult to say that if a guy is just on the bench. Today, no one would bench Tom Brady, but he was a backup at some point in his career, and coming out of the draft, few people would have said he is too good to sit on the bench.

It was Adam Schefter. He reported that three other teams were interested.

Via footballguys.com

The Indianapolis Colts had interest in Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson during the third round of the NFL Draft to serve as a backup to QB Andrew Luck before selecting WR T.Y. Hilton.

Interesting...

Among the teams interested in Wilson were the Eagles (who ended up taking Foles), us (took Hilton), and the Redskins (who took Cousins). This is all according to Adam Schefter's 10 Spot. Looks like Seattle was the best place for him. He wouldn't be starting here or in Washington and Philly is a big mess.

Mel Kiper has said if Russell Wilson wasn't 5' 10.5 " that he would have been right up there with Luck and RG3. Brees made it acceptable to have a 6 foot franchise QB. If Wilson keeps improving and impressing, he'll break that under 6 foot rule for future teams too. His short stature is the only glaring thing that made him drop in the draft. Current wisdom says you need 6'4" or taller and 225 or greater to get a QB that can see over lineman and deliver the ball. Brees, and now Wilson, are strong challengers to that wisdom. OTOH, Brees has regressed this season (at least in Int's). But that could be losing his HC/Playcaller too.

Among the teams interested in Wilson were the Eagles (who ended up taking Foles), us (took Hilton), and the Redskins (who took Cousins). This is all according to Adam Schefter's 10 Spot. Looks like Seattle was the best place for him. He wouldn't be starting here or in Washington and Philly is a big mess.

I suspect he would have done very well in Philly, might have even bought Reid more time. Can't say I'm surprised that we were interested in him.

Honestly..... though, I suppose it's possible, I don't believe it.

I don't think in your first draft to build a team one would use the 92nd pick to take a back-up QB.

Honestly, it makes little sense to me.

The 5th round -- maybe. But not the 3rd. Too high a pick to use on a back-up QB when you're trying to take other players that will actually play. We had way too many other needs (still do!) This doesn't add up. It would be one thing if we were already a playoff quality team and we're looking for another final piece to a puzzle.... but we're a long ways from that and certainly were last April...

Wonder if Grigson will chime in? I wouldn't read too much into anything if he doesn't, but I'm the curious sort.....

Sometimes you hear something in the media and think that it doesn't add up..... to me, this is one of those times....

I suspect he would have done very well in Philly, might have even bought Reid more time. Can't say I'm surprised that we were interested in him.

What makes you say that? I find it surprising that the Colts and Redskins were interested in him in the 3rd round, especially since they got great QBs in the first round. Unless the plan was to "Kevin Kolb" Russell Wilson, I don't think it would have been a great idea to take him so early.

Just because we were interested in him does not mean they actually had all intentions of picking him. I'm sure they were interested in about 10 different players in that spot.

2 people like this