Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could we see #61 play this week?

Dark Superman

Chapman has been practicing for about a full month now.. I mean I'm no coach by any means but after a full month I'm sure he's working out some of the growing pains.. Perhaps he could see a few snaps on Sunday just to get him a small taste of things to come. I'm guessing he won't be full strength until next year but a little action this year surely can't hurt..

My guess is Arians is wanting to put him out there as close to full strength as possible to get a good idea of what he can do but the D Line coach doesn't think he is ready (Gary Emanuel) or the strength and conditioning coach doesn't (Roger Marandino). Who knows really

Chapman has been practicing for about a full month now.. I mean I'm no coach by any means but after a full month I'm sure he's working out some of the growing pains.. Perhaps he could see a few snaps on Sunday just to get him a small taste of things to come. I'm guessing he won't be full strength until next year but a little action this year surely can't hurt..

I'm glad to see him play, but unless he's moving to CB he's not really going to have much of an impact. Our run D hasn't been an issue. Why would a team bother to run against us?

I hope he's as good as y'all seem to think he is.....

we'll need run stoppers agianst Houston

Here's my thinking. According to mocks, there are a lot of good defensive linemen in the 1st round of next years draft. We grab another high level one and team him up with Chapman and OUILA!, we go from medicore to greatly enhancing the Monster. I know, I know, we need an Olineman, but you know Grigson picks best available and there is a good sign that it could be a Dlineman.

Here's my thinking. According to mocks, there are a lot of good defensive linemen in the 1st round of next years draft. We grab another high level one and team him up with Chapman and OUILA!, we go from medicore to greatly enhancing the Monster. I know, I know, we need an Olineman, but you know Grigson picks best available and there is a good sign that it could be a Dlineman.

We don't need more D-lineman. We need CB's & O-lineman. D-line is something that can be easily addressed in the FA. And plus, Freeney & Mathis have at least 2-4 years left in them. So we're fine for now

for yall talking about dt's and only expressing them in the run stop you dont know their full job if he can gopple up to linman that means their are only 3 other lineman to get anybody else and if it a blitz play and a quick move by another lineman andmeans they are in the qb face within 2 seconds so stop acting like they are only good for stopping runs they make a big impact on pass rushing to especially on blitzes., but i do hope chapman plays it could be the center peice of out d-line weve been missing.

for yall talking about dt's and only expressing them in the run stop you dont know their full job if he can gopple up to linman that means their are only 3 other lineman to get anybody else and if it a blitz play and a quick move by another lineman andmeans they are in the qb face within 2 seconds so stop acting like they are only good for stopping runs they make a big impact on pass rushing to especially on blitzes., but i do hope chapman plays it could be the center peice of out d-line weve been missing.

very true

thanks princetontiger77, and as for OLB we could try to get C.J. Mosley in the draft to replace freeney plus last i heard hes leaving us so its not like we are getting rid of him the last i heard, but their could be someone who is dropping into free agency that we might get but i dont know who that would be, and if we do get a olb in free agency id say we get a lt and slide costantzo to rt...get 1 player and benefiting two spots. sounds good to me....but that only if we arent dropping down to far to egt him and passing up somebody else in a position we need too...which is hard with are current situation.

Name a Pass Rusher (at OLB) that's coming out the Draft or in FA this year

out of the draft: Jarvis Jones, Brandon Jenkins, Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner just to name a few, though to be clear, some of these guys have collegiate eligibility after this year so they could declare for the draft or stay in school

out of FA: Cliff Avril

As you can see, the number of pass rushers currently scheduled to hit FA is very slim which is why I believe our biggest priority in the draft will be to get a pass rusher.

out of the draft: Jarvis Jones, Brandon Jenkins, Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner just to name a few, though to be clear, some of these guys have collegiate eligibility after this year so they could declare for the draft or stay in school

out of FA: Cliff Avril

As you can see, the number of pass rushers currently scheduled to hit FA is very slim which is why I believe our biggest priority in the draft will be to get a pass rusher.

i agree, and like you said i know most of those will be gone before its are pick or should be unless if the teams are looking in a different direction which i doubt, are highest prospect i see us getting is cj mosley and he might even be gone depending on which teams have a higher draft pick than us.

ok First, no one has said that Defensive tackles can't rush the passer, however some DT's rush the passer better than others. Next, I know people want Chapman to be the next greatest DT in the game but that probably isn't going to happen. He should be very, very good and perhaps one of the best run stoppers in the league, but even at the collegiate level his performance as a pass rusher was limited. Now that doesn't mean that he won't be able to help with the pass rush in general, but it does mean that he himself is not the greatest pass rusher. It has not ever been one of his strengths, though there's no saying that he can't improve in that area.

So all that said, have you been watching the Colts this year? On suspected passing downs, the Colts have been lining up primarily in a 4 man front, with Freeney and Mathis (or Hughes) at their more familiar DE spots, and they put the better pass rushing/penetrating DT's in the middle. Essentially they line 2 guys up at 3 tech. They haven't been putting a NT on the field in passing downs. Even in the instances when AJ has been on the field in passing situations, he's been playing more to penetrate into the backfield than to draw a double team, and drawing a double team is how he plays running downs. So for that reason I have no reason to believe that they'll put Chapman on the field in passing situations and ask him to occupy a double team. Even if Chapman does occupy a double team in a passing situation, that does not mean the other team is stuck with only having 3 guys left to block. They still have RB's and TE's they can use to double team or chip guys like Freeney and Mathis to try to slow them down. So having Chapman on the field in a passing situation is not going to magically clear the way for Freeney and Mathis. It would be great if that were the case but it simply isn't true.

This is why most people keep saying that Chapman most likely won't have much of an effect in pass defense. The Colts put the best penetrators at DT on the field in passing situations and that means guys like Redding, Moala, Matthews and Nevis. I'm sure Chapman will be in on occasion due to injury or fatigue to the aforementioned players but he will not likely be the first guy the Colts want on the field in passing situations. I'm as big a fan of Chapman as there is. He was the one player we drafted that made me jump out of my chair in excitement. But I still do not expect him to be the savior of our defense, especially from a pass rush perspective.

Freeney is useless NOW. I could easily see us move for a pass rusher.

Freeney is far from useless, and to think we will find someone in FA with Freeney's skill set and experience is crazy. I understand we as fans are looking for results now but the truth is when adopting a new scheme from 4-3 to 3-4 the OLB position is one of the hardest positions to change after doing it one way for so many years. The key in the offseason is to get stronger and parting ways with Freeney will not make use stronger. At the OLB position what we need is a 3rd but good OLB to team up with Mathis and Freeney similar to what R,Brock was for us a few years ago. The only way I see us going in different directions with Freeney is the amount of money he may ask for, then yes he will not be back but if we can sign him to a team friendly contract he will stay but I honestly think Freeney wants to stay in Indy...

O and I fully expect us to draft DBs in the first and third rounds SS,CB which is the biggest area of need on this team everything else will be upgraded through FA, we have a LOT of money to spend and if we spend wisely the number of FA we bring in could very well be historic!!!

I say we go CB in the first round and SS in the third, here are a list of first round ccanidates at CB Demarcus milliner,David Amerson,Johnthan Banks and maybe Xavier Rhodes. Only two SS Vaccaro and McDonald. The second round on most mock drafts are loaded with DBs and hey you never know we may trade out of the first round but I would love for us to get any of the CB I just listed even Poyer manilly because we can get an ok CB out of FA as well but SS to me is very important, I would love to see us get Tony Jefferson to me he fits what we are trying to do but time will tell.

There is no way the Colts can get anyone like Milliner in 1st round because right now he's ranked 4th on the chart, if Colts make the playoffs they will be in the low 20 in 1st round pick and the closest CB in that area is Johnathan Banks Mississippi St who is ranked 19th and he would have to slide a few positions to be able to get him, right now the main thing needed is a offensive linemen if none is gotten in FA, would be better to get a young fresh lineman with low rookie wage than an older more costly FA, If Banks fall to the Colts I say take him, but if not then the highest available OL player, and save some of the under salary cap money for defensive players, Jared Allen may be available this off season he's a FA and he is a roaming DE that is all over the field and not stuck in one position and still freaking quick, and he might want to come to a club with playoff shots every year with A.Luck and depends on the price tag he MIGHT be an option, but not my choice to make because that's Grigson's...

Colts will be drafting late in the 1st so dropping down to second round I don't think will benefit much, but you never know :} it's all a crap shoot. If they get offered 2 early 2nd round picks for the single 1st round pick I say go for it!!!!!

Here below is what is listed around the area Colts might have in 1st round is the 13th and 14th slide down...

OT Jake Mathews ranked #13

OG Jonathan Cooper ranked #14th

OT Eric Fisher ranked #25

CB Johnthan Banks ranked #19

Closest FS is from LSU Eric Reid ranked #24

I have the utmost confidence in Grigson's choices, never did with EX Colts Chris Polian, he had far to many reaches!!!!!

But as everybody knows "opinions are like you know what's and everybody got one"!!!!! ;}LOL

Go Colts!!!!!

You don't need to double the nt on pass play they normally don't have ability to rush passer

I say we go CB in the first round and SS in the third, here are a list of first round ccanidates at CB Demarcus milliner,David Amerson,Johnthan Banks and maybe Xavier Rhodes. Only two SS Vaccaro and McDonald. The second round on most mock drafts are loaded with DBs and hey you never know we may trade out of the first round but I would love for us to get any of the CB I just listed even Poyer manilly because we can get an ok CB out of FA as well but SS to me is very important, I would love to see us get Tony Jefferson to me he fits what we are trying to do but time will tell.

Huh we are moe than likely to go OLB since dwight freeney is leaving us, just like we got andrew luck when we let go of manning, only makes sense to go olb and as i know of their isnt a great supply of pass rushers in the fa so you can count that out. and we got zib granted not the greatest but does make it to where it isnt are greatest need.....cb we will probably go 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th but that also depends on if we want to get a O-linemen. so who knows more than likely we will try to fix that in fa since that will be a lil easier than trying to get a good cb

I think we'll find our O-Lineman through FA, and probably a CB, since Powers is going bye bye. Butler and Gordy can be decent depth. Freeney will need to figure out that his monster paydays are at an end, or his time in Indy will be. Take that FS (Eric Reid) if he's still available for our 1st round pick.

We go bpa in the draft regardless of position and free agency for the rest. That is how Grigson drafted an entire offense for us last draft. He will stay true to his methods. If you want a cb, then you best pray that cb is tops on his board when it is our turn to pick.

We go bpa in the draft regardless of position and free agency for the rest. That is how Grigson drafted an entire offense for us last draft. He will stay true to his methods. If you want a cb, then you best pray that cb is tops on his board when it is our turn to pick.

I totally agree. I think his philosophy is fill holes with free agency and pick best available talent in draft regardless of need. Thats really how most of the best teams in the league draft. (QB is an obvious exception)

I totally agree. I think his philosophy is fill holes with free agency and pick best available talent in draft regardless of need. Thats really how most of the best teams in the league draft. (QB is an obvious exception)

I agree as well Grigson has said many times that you stick to the board and pick the best player available. So to speculate that we will go a certain position just isn't going to happen. I do think Grigson will pick up some mid-level young free agents to plug in to holes. Especially on the O-Line.

Huh we are moe than likely to go OLB since dwight freeney is leaving us, just like we got andrew luck when we let go of manning, only makes sense to go olb and as i know of their isnt a great supply of pass rushers in the fa so you can count that out. and we got zib granted not the greatest but does make it to where it isnt are greatest need.....cb we will probably go 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th but that also depends on if we want to get a O-linemen. so who knows more than likely we will try to fix that in fa since that will be a lil easier than trying to get a good cb

First off we don't have a 2nd round pick as of right now, gave that up for V.Davis. Second there are some good FA 3-4 OLB that will hit the market, you might want to google that. Third I really think Freeney will take less money to try an finish his career as a Colt. You say this is similar to the way we let Manning go for Luck but I dont see how you came up with that one maybe you can help me understand cause we wont have a top 15 or 20 pick as it stands right now, plus we had no choice but to go after a QB, we were parting ways with Manning due to health whick made QB our biggest need, I really don't think OLB is our biggest need even with Freeney hitting the market after the season. The truth is Freeney is in the first year of this new scheme. We need to try an resign him to a team friendly deal and get another OLB in FA, we need three good pass rushers and Freeney not been bad this season he just doesnt have the sacks we are use to seeing but he has been very disruptive. BUT the same big weakness of last year still remains CB,SS. Thats were we will be looking to go in the draft, DBs is were our biggest need is, and with Davis our only true CB with Powers hitting the open market and Zib is better then what we have had in the past but he is a good back up at best. You cant rush the passer if the CBs cant cover...

First off we don't have a 2nd round pick as of right now, gave that up for V.Davis. Second there are some good FA 3-4 OLB that will hit the market, you might want to google that. Third I really think Freeney will take less money to try an finish his career as a Colt. You say this is similar to the way we let Manning go for Luck but I dont see how you came up with that one maybe you can help me understand cause we wont have a top 15 or 20 pick as it stands right now, plus we had no choice but to go after a QB, we were parting ways with Manning due to health whick made QB our biggest need, I really don't think OLB is our biggest need even with Freeney hitting the market after the season. The truth is Freeney is in the first year of this new scheme. We need to try an resign him to a team friendly deal and get another OLB in FA, we need three good pass rushers and Freeney not been bad this season he just doesnt have the sacks we are use to seeing but he has been very disruptive. BUT the same big weakness of last year still remains CB,SS. Thats were we will be looking to go in the draft, DBs is were our biggest need is, and with Davis our only true CB with Powers hitting the open market and Zib is better then what we have had in the past but he is a good back up at best. You cant rush the passer if the CBs cant cover...

huh i didnt, i said freeney was probably going to leave us so we will probably get a olb, just like we let go of manning so we got a qb......not saying the freeney, manning situation is the same but how we will draft is. for the first round unless if there is good fa olb like you said is going to be there