Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, is it over for Alex Smith in SF?

Jules

If you get the same passing production out of two guys but one is younger, has a stronger arm, and is more of a threat on the run then why wouldn't you switch to that guy? Smith was having a solid season but he's just as dependent on the defense and run game and has a good deal less upside.

I'm not going production, I'm going on what I'm seeing during the game. Upside is like potential energy. If it isn't put into motion, then it just stays stored. Jemarcus Russell had upside; Ryan Leaf had upside; Jimmy Clausen had upside. That's the crazy things about sports; you are drafted on maybes.

But truthfully, CK has been doing the thing that you said Smith does the last 3 games.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as impressed with this SF team like I used to be. I am not sure what it is and I can't quite put my finger on it.

But, something seems more off to me lately......

Guess we will see when they go to NE but I would favor NE at home in a night game. This is where Kaep is gonna have to prove himself and since NE already lost to two NFC teams this season I don't love the odds they go 1-3 vs. the NFC this year either.

I am not as impressed with this SF team like I used to be. I am not sure what it is and I can't quite put my finger on it.

But, something seems more off to me lately......

Guess we will see when they go to NE but I would favor NE at home in a night game. This is where Kaep is gonna have to prove himself and since NE already lost to two NFC teams this season I don't love the odds they go 1-3 vs. the NFC this year either.

Yeah, if they lose in New England, they have to win in Seattle to secure the NFC West and the way that Seattle is playing now, that will be tough to do. *peeking over at Seattle's score and smh*

It will be interesting seeing the rest of the season play out. The NFC is too close to call. If the 49ers don't win the NFC West, they might not make the playoff.

Both the Giants and Bears sit at 8-5 with the Giants winning over SF but SF beating the Bears. The Seahawks still have a chance to win the NFC West if they win out (and they have the schedule to do it.). If Seattle somehow wins the NFC East, that will leave 49ers looking at a tight playoff spot that will point to the NFC East battle. The NFC is crazy..lol

i think at this point , coach has made decision & thats it, its a shame, smith had this team winning more covincibly to me , did well in a shootout last year in playoffs, & has experience in playoff

he abided by the rules and reported dizziness leading to the concussion test & sit down and thats how lost a job, if didnt report issue and no one noticed would coach have made that change even if had 1 off game

People forget this play in the playoffs...

I remember that play, also that game very well. Sadly, most of the fans on the 49ers site forgot that Alex Smith carried the team on his back to beat the Saint. Come to think about it, Alex Smith played under Urban Meyer's spread. He can run a little zone read. lol

he abided by the rules and reported dizziness leading to the concussion test & sit down and thats how lost a job, if didnt report issue and no one noticed would coach have made that change even if had 1 off game

I actually think Harbaugh set concussion reporting back a few years with this move, no matter what the motive might have been. If Alex Smith didn't report anything, he would still be playing but now the league sees that and don't want to put themselves in that same situation.

And no matter how people will try to spin it, using athleticism, upside, blah blah blah, the 49ers were 6-2 when he left. If anyone has been looking at the games, they would know that CK has basically been pulling a Alex Smith (with more turnovers..lol). Bears game, I give him that, even though they held the offense to practically nothing. The Saints game, the 2 pick 6s and the constant pressure on Brees in the pocket is the reason for that win, and not offense. Rams game.....*shrugs*.. And this last game, other than the zone read touchdown, the best thing that CK did was hand off the ball to Gore and the occasional dump off. Like I stated earlier, potential energy is just that. If this is indeed how he plays, then I believe that it had to do more with opening up cap space by dumping Smith.

I actually think Harbaugh set concussion reporting back a few years with this move, no matter what the motive might have been. If Alex Smith didn't report anything, he would still be playing but now the league sees that and don't want to put themselves in that same situation.

And no matter how people will try to spin it, using athleticism, upside, blah blah blah, the 49ers were 6-2 when he left. If anyone has been looking at the games, they would know that CK has basically been pulling a Alex Smith (with more turnovers..lol). Bears game, I give him that, even though they held the offense to practically nothing. The Saints game, the 2 pick 6s and the constant pressure on Brees in the pocket is the reason for that win, and not offense. Rams game.....*shrugs*.. And this last game, other than the zone read touchdown, the best thing that CK did was hand off the ball to Gore and the occasional dump off. Like I stated earlier, potential energy is just that. If this is indeed how he plays, then I believe that it had to do more with opening up cap space by dumping Smith.

Oh I agree plus last weeks games rookie mental errors with the backwards overthrown lateral near own endzone & other team gets TD & also the going back 7 yards intro the endzone and throwing to take a saftey

thats all u need mental rookie errors in playoffs

8 million next year is alot of cap space die smith, but why chance a season for it & a SB

Oh I agree plus last weeks games rookie mental errors with the backwards overthrown lateral near own endzone & other team gets TD & also the going back 7 yards intro the endzone and throwing to take a saftey

thats all u need mental rookie errors in playoffs

8 million next year is alot of cap space die smith, but why chance a season for it & a SB

Another thing I think it boils down to is Kaepernick is his guy. That's is who he drafted so he is putting all his chips into Kaepernick's basket.

It's not like any other situation in football and the term upside.

Luck > Painter

RG3 > RG3&Out..lol

Weeden > McCoy (considering what he has, he is heads and shoulders better than McCoy)

And this is all seen on the field. Not practice or what we believe but tangible evidence. WIth Smith and CK, not as much. And it's not a knock on Kaepernick. I like the dude but I haven't seen much to say he warranted taking Smith's starting position. And without using upside or potential (because those are yet to be seen), how did Smith lose his job?

But then we get to the 49ers

Another thing I think it boils down to is Kaepernick is his guy. That's is who he drafted so he is putting all his chips into Kaepernick's basket.

It's not like any other situation in football and the term upside.

Luck > Painter

RG3 > RG3&Out..lol

Weeden > McCoy (considering what he has, he is heads and shoulders better than McCoy)

And this is all seen on the field. Not practice or what we believe but tangible evidence. WIth Smith and CK, not as much. And it's not a knock on Kaepernick. I like the dude but I haven't seen much to say he warranted taking Smith's starting position. And without using upside or potential (because those are yet to be seen), how did Smith lose his job?

But then we get to the 49ers

absoluetely , he didnt get Peyton , == SSuperbowl , as he * PM well they each wanted offensive control to certain degrees lets face it sso would be head butting

Kappy he can say is his pick & he made the team work, while he inheited smith but making a bad smith work to waas great for his rep BTW

anyway off to Dr, have great morning

absoluetely , he didnt get Peyton , == SSuperbowl , as he * PM well they each wanted offensive control to certain degrees lets face it sso would be head butting

Kappy he can say is his pick & he made the team work, while he inheited smith but making a bad smith work to waas great for his rep BTW

anyway off to Dr, have great morning

Exactly...

And you have a great morning also!