Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, is it over for Alex Smith in SF?

Jules

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for Smith only for the reason he suffered a concussion, and lost his starting job, and maybe even a roster spot on his team because of it. Players hide their injuries from coaches and team medical personnel for that reason. Nobody wants the next man up to become THE man in lieu of you, even when you return fully healthy. The league has to realize this flies in the face of their protecting players mantra. Players don't want to be hurt, or play hurt. But even more so, they don't want to lose their job or possibly even a paycheck.

On a 49er/performance front, CK appears to offer a higher level of dynamics, no question. However, if his stronger arm and willingness to zing it into tight windows results in more picks in the playoffs, this may be worse than Smiths protect the ball style. If CK has to run often and gets popped, he may not have the poise he is showing right now. Or he might even cough it up at an inopportune time. Smith can get away with his style because there hasn't been a D like the 49'ers since the 2000 Ravens. Dilfer wasn't even as good as Smith is now, but he went 7-1 with that Ravens D, and then went on to win the Super Bowl.

I know Jim Harbaugh is looking long term, but his timing to do so now is suspect, IMHO. IF C. Kaeprnick fails to get to the NFC championship game, it was a fail move this year. Smith already did that, and likely could do so just as well this season. If CK wins the NFC and gets to the Super Bowl, it's a genius move by Harbaugh. No other way to look at it short term. Long term, that will sort itself out over time but it does appear to be the more promising move in that regard. I just wonder how it plays with this years Super Bowl contending team. And, what Smith's future holds.

As an exercise, on what teams would you start Smith over their current QB, and do the same for Kaepernick. How big Is the difference?

I see what you are saying about feeling bad for Alex Smith, but really, he wouldn't be benched f he learned to throw the ball down field. I live in the SF Bay Area and have a family friend as an executive in their FO. I watch all of their games, (my wife is a Niners fan) and I would call Alex Smith "Captain Checkdown" because that's essentially all he would do. I'm sure Frank Gore is gonna miss him.

It's not learnable, he's either got a strong arm or doesn't but with D all they need is check downs and mid range passing. Also the timing sucks IMO. CK has a higher ceiling but comes with higher risks as well, he hardly has any experience at this level.

It's not learnable, he's either got a strong arm or doesn't but with D all they need is check downs and mid range passing. Also the timing sucks IMO. CK has a higher ceiling but comes with higher risks as well, he hardly has any experience at this level.

Joker, you and I agree on many things, but I have to disagree with you here. It is learnable. Take for example Drew Brees, who doesn't have a very strong arm but can make all of the throws. He's learned to properly read coverage, anticipate throws, and work on his timing. Manning doesn't have the strongest arm either, and by the way, Alex Smith has plenty of arm strength, which he's demonstrated on some deeper throws to Vernon Davis. It's just that he's gun shy, doesn't trust what he's seeing and always opts to play it safe and check down. It's a good strategy, but perhaps not what Harbaugh is looking for as the Niners continue to improve. He may want somenone who can add a dynamic that they've been missing-- a down field passer.

Joker, you and I agree on many things, but I have to disagree with you here. It is learnable. Take for example Drew Brees, who doesn't have a very strong arm but can make all of the throws. He's learned to properly read coverage, anticipate throws, and work on his timing. Manning doesn't have the strongest arm either, and by the way, Alex Smith has plenty of arm strength, which he's demonstrated on some deeper throws to Vernon Davis. It's just that he's gun shy, doesn't trust what he's seeing and always opts to play it safe and check down. It's a good strategy, but perhaps not what Harbaugh is looking for as the Niners continue to improve. He may want somenone who can add a dynamic that they've been missing-- a down field passer.

I didn't know he had the arm strength but was afraid to use it. That's kinda odd. I would think Harbaugh would be all for having a conservative passing game, along with running the ball heavily, and having a dominate D. It's sound strategy. I can't blame if he wants the offense to evolve but IMO he should start that next year or if Smith fell apart for some reason, this year.

but can they do it with Kapernick

Yes...anyone who has watched Alex Smith knows the 49ers run a limited offense with him

If Kapernick can play the way he did against NOLA and the Bears (2 teams with big flaws, I admit) SF will be in the Super Bowl

There werent going with Smith.....He isnt better than average

I didn't know he had the arm strength but was afraid to use it. That's kinda odd. I would think Harbaugh would be all for having a conservative passing game, along with running the ball heavily, and having a dominate D. It's sound strategy. I can't blame if he wants the offense to evolve but IMO he should start that next year or if Smith fell apart for some reason, this year.

Smith was taken over Aaron Rodgers for a reason. He had a lot of promise. But Smith hasn't had a consistent offensive coaching scheme until recently. Now he's gun shy, and yet puts up quite decent numbers by going ultra safe. his last 28 games he was 21-6-1. But he loses his job anyway due to injury... and... the fact that he was inherited by Harbaugh. Kaepernick was Harbaugh's guy all along. He went up to second round to draft him. Smith get 7.5 million dollars base salary guaranteed next season if he's still on the squad by 4/1/2013. He gets 1 million roster bonus if he's still on by 3rd day of 2013 season (early March). Who pays 8.5 million for a backup QB? Will Alex Smith restructure to backup pay? Not likely. CK had better be their version of RGIII and not the next Elvis Grbac.

** Upon signing, Grbac mocked Dilfer in the press: "It's time that a quarterback comes in here and provides leadership, a go-to guy, a vertical passing game. This is a great team. I can make it better." Grbac posted mediocre passing statistics that year, but still managed to lead the Ravens to an 8-6 regular season record and a playoff win over the Miami Dolphins before losing in the second round to the Pittsburgh Steelers. During the season, he was taunted and booed by Baltimore fans and harshly criticized by the Baltimore press. When Grbac was injured midway through the season and temporarily replaced by backup Randall Cunningham (who went 2-0), the taunt "Elvis has left the building" was used." **

And they better find a decent backup for CK too.

Here's something I don't believe that was mentioned. This is regular season. The playoffs are a different kind of animal. How is the kid going to perform when teams "dial it up a few notches" in the playoffs? He has very limited experience, and experience is very important come playoff time. Granted, there are exceptions, but in this case, Smith has the experience, He led his team to the NFC Championship game. Smith has done well under that pressure before...Smith finally has had a stable OC and coaching staff, and was beginning to flourish. (Look at his last 2 games he played before being injured).

Maybe CK can handle the pressure, maybe he can't. Here's the big question that Harbaugh is gambling on...Are you willing to risk the better chance on making the Super Bowl, with CK?..or Smith. Personally, I would rather take someone who has been there, than someone untested, if given the choice. And if CK fails, it will all be on Harbaugh... And one more possibility...if CK starts to fail, and Smith comes back and leads the team to a championship, what effect, long term, will this do to CK...

I would have stayed with Smith this year..if he doesn't deliver, then go with CK next year. SF has a great shot at winning it all this year..I hope Harbaugh didn't just blow it by this choice.

You can mind

Here's something I don't believe that was mentioned. This is regular season. The playoffs are a different kind of animal. How is the kid going to perform when teams "dial it up a few notches" in the playoffs? He has very limited experience, and experience is very important come playoff time. Granted, there are exceptions, but in this case, Smith has the experience, He led his team to the NFC Championship game. Smith has done well under that pressure before...Smith finally has had a stable OC and coaching staff, and was beginning to flourish. (Look at his last 2 games he played before being injured).

Maybe CK can handle the pressure, maybe he can't. Here's the big question that Harbaugh is gambling on...Are you willing to risk the better chance on making the Super Bowl, with CK?..or Smith. Personally, I would rather take someone who has been there, than someone untested, if given the choice. And if CK fails, it will all be on Harbaugh... And one more possibility...if CK starts to fail, and Smith comes back and leads the team to a championship, what effect, long term, will this do to CK...

I would have stayed with Smith this year..if he doesn't deliver, then go with CK next year. SF has a great shot at winning it all this year..I hope Harbaugh didn't just blow it by this choice.

You dont have next year....maybe next year Patrick Willis breaks his leg or the whole defensive line is suspended for drugs

You only have now....and you have a player most other teams have not seen who's playing well...

People feel bad for Alex Smith but he's played for 7 years....times up......somebody new came along

You KNOW Alex Smith is an average player..not bad but not the equal of what other playoff teams have.

I dont really care what effect this move has on either player...

If they win....its good..If they lose..its bad no matter which QB plays..

That's my point, why make the gamble now with so much on the line? Smith has shown he can get it done and his style fits, he doesn't turn the ball over and his defense shuts down the opponent, which generally results in a win. He's risking a divided locker room for the long ball? Why? It's obvious they don't need it rightnow.

I'm just glad it's not my team.

As a Niner fan, JH is taking the long-view on this. He was his hand-picked QB. He's been grooming CK for this. It came earlier than expected but this why we drafted him....to eventually lead this team. And he IS leading them. And he's doing it with his play on the field. The fact that he's even making this QB situation possible speaks to just how impressive his short body of work is. I told myself if he beat the Saints, he would earn the right for me to shut up and let JH get this kid ready.

I do think Alex is getting a raw deal. And part of me wanted Alex to lead this team to a SB just to shut-up all non-Niner fans, and some in our own fan-base who said it would never happen. But this is a grown man's game Alex knows how this works. He benefited from the same scenario years back when he sent his best friend, Shaun Hill into a back-up role, and eventually out of town, when he came in off the bench and impressed when Hill had been playing pretty good ball in previous games that season. This is the nature of the business. If it can happen to Montana, it can definitely happen to Alex. I think the guy is as solid a human being as you can possibly find. Never a bad word to say, even through this and all the other * he's endured throughout his career. But Alex knew, with the contract he signed, that this was very possible. I'm not driving the CK bus, but I'm not running it off the road either. He's done enough for me to just sit back see what happens. Not a move I would have made with a team who was humming along just fine, but nobody has his pulse on this team like JH. And if its any position I trust his judgement, its at QB.

Exactly 757Niner! A nicely written response there. The NFL is a cut throat business of competition 1st & foremost & not everybody makes the cut anymore even veterans like Alex Smith. I don't hate Alex. I just think Colin is the future & he gives Jim Harbaugh's squad the best chance to win a SB right now.

I can appreciate your perspective CF4L, but the NFL is a lot like drivers ed...Eventually, a new driver has to travel on the freeway at rush hour...You learn by doing not watching on the sidelines.

Sink or Swim 49ers; it's time to see what you have. Is Colin a franchise QB or not? It's time to take the training wheels off IMO...As William Shakespeare said in "Hamlet" "May fortune favor the foolish"

Well lets not forget there is a few games left before the playoffs,but the intensity and speed of the game deffinately pick up and we shall see what kinda grit he has :rawr::Yikes: :hmm: I will give you this the kid is talented

Amen Brother Amen! Throw CK to the Playoffs wolves & let's see if San Fran has a timid little cub or a roaring lion shall we?

CINDA-lion_roar.jpg

Lion-Cub.jpg

Alex Smith will be starting in the NFL next year, but not for the 49ers obviously. I think he ends in Kansas City.

I want Alex Smith to have a shot starting somewhere. KC seems like as good as spot as any I guess. Good luck Alex. Get Marty Schottenheimer back to Arrowhead ASAP or Alex is doomed IMO.

.I hope Harbaugh didn't just blow it by this choice.

Too late. He already did. Smith wont' be a 49'er or get his 8.5 million from the San Fran team next year. His only chance left is for CK to get into the SB. anything less is epic fail for Harbaugh and the 49'er organization.

Now, where does Smith end up?

I want Alex Smith to have a shot starting somewhere. KC seems like as good as spot as any I guess. Good luck Alex. Get Marty Schottenheimer back to Arrowhead ASAP or Alex is doomed IMO.

Chargers have to regret firing Marty right now, not often do coaches get fired after 14-2 seasons. KC seems like a good spot for KC, this QB class sucks and he can take over till they find the man. Hopefully they can resign Bowe, so he has something to throw to, the run game is there already. I think the D could be too.

Chargers have to regret firing Marty right now, not often do coaches get fired after 14-2 seasons. KC seems like a good spot for KC, this QB class sucks and he can take over till they find the man. Hopefully they can resign Bowe, so he has something to throw to, the run game is there already. I think the D could be too.

Another blogger on this site named Bogie, a very bright guy BTW, will speak very kindly about Marty Schottenheimer as a HC in San Diego too. AJ Smith, GM of the Chargers, is such a bleeping fool IMO. :facepalm:

AJ Smith had better get fired too along with Norv Turner at season's end also.

Darren Sproles gone, Vincent Jackson gone, Drew Brees gone, and Marty Schottenheimer gone= AJ Smith gone ASAP IMO.

Exactly 757Niner! A nicely written response there. The NFL is a cut throat business of competition 1st & foremost & not everybody makes the cut anymore even veterans like Alex Smith. I don't hate Alex. I just think Colin is the future & he gives Jim Harbaugh's squad the best chance to win a SB right now.

You are my friend, and I respect your opinion, however, you are contradicting yourself in your statement. Colin may very well be the future, but this is right now. That team is built to win NOW...The second part I totally disagree with. You are telling me that you are going to put a basically untested player, with 1 year exp, and 2 starts under his belt, into the playoff picture, and that is your best bet to win?..I'll take the proven vet, even if he isn't quite as athletic, or has a stronger arm. Look at Smith's last game and a quarter..or however long he was in the game until he got hurt. He was the NFC offensive player of the week...Smith got them there last year, and if it weren't for Mr Fumbles on special teams, they would have been in the Super Bowl. He showed he can handle the pressure, all he needs to do is stay within himself, hand the ball off, and don't make mistakes. I rather put my money on a proven vet with less athletic talent, than to go with what could well be a "flash in the pan"...He may end up being a very good player..but if you want to win right now...you go with the old vet..

CK may be the future, and for Harbaugh, he has made his choice...We'll see if it was the right one...As for me, I had the Niners going to the Super Bowl..but now..I'm not so sure..

You are my friend, and I respect your opinion, however, you are contradicting yourself in your statement. Colin may very well be the future, but this is right now. That team is built to win NOW...The second part I totally disagree with. You are telling me that you are going to put a basically untested player, with 1 year exp, and 2 starts under his belt, into the playoff picture, and that is your best bet to win?..I'll take the proven vet, even if he isn't quite as athletic, or has a stronger arm. Look at Smith's last game and a quarter..or however long he was in the game until he got hurt. He was the NFC offensive player of the week...Smith got them there last year, and if it weren't for Mr Fumbles on special teams, they would have been in the Super Bowl. He showed he can handle the pressure, all he needs to do is stay within himself, hand the ball off, and don't make mistakes. I rather put my money on a proven vet with less athletic talent, than to go with what could well be a "flash in the pan"...He may end up being a very good player..but if you want to win right now...you go with the old vet..

CK may be the future, and for Harbaugh, he has made his choice...We'll see if it was the right one...As for me, I had the Niners going to the Super Bowl..but now..I'm not so sure..

CF4L,

I respect your opinion as well buddy & I see my own contradiction too from a language perspective at least syntax wise..." I just think Colin is the future & he gives Jim Harbaugh's squad the best chance to win a SB right now." I would respectfully counter argue that the fumbles on Special Teams did indeed happen, the NY Giants went to the SB & won, & if Alex could have effectively moved the ball in the 2nd half to TE Vernon Davis or WR Michael Crabtree those Special Team turnovers wouldn't have mattered. My point is true franchise QB's overcome adversity & will their team to a victory, but sadly Alex Smith is not a franchise QB.

Sometimes rookies or QB's with limited experience surprise you because the stage & the Playoffs moment isn't too big at all. See Kurt Warner & Tom Brady. Heck, look at "Big Ben" in Pittsburg during his rookie year too. Yes, I will admit that riding with CK is more a hunch than solid fact, but my intuition on these matters is pretty good overall, but if I'm wrong I will man up & admit my mistake CF4L. I promise. CK moves the ball downfield consistently vs Smith who dinks and dunks. Can Smith throw the long ball? Yeah, but with CK I can sense victory. With Smith, my confidence to win significantly diminishes and wavers. Just my 2 :2c: .

." I just think Colin is the future & he gives Jim Harbaugh's squad the best chance to win a SB right now."

As seen in CK's 2 starts, it is not him giving the 49ers the best chance to win but their defense, more specifically their defensive line, showing up game in and game out. The "ease" of his 2 starts rest on the laurel of the defense. They defensive line destroyed the Bears and the Saints O-Line; straight blew them up. The Bears couldn't move the ball and Drew Brees was pressured into throwing terrible passes.

Like I stated earlier, I like CK but he put up Smith numbers with Smith results. Everybody is so wowed by eluding the rush and the possibility of a big play that they forget only wins matter.

As seen in CK's 2 starts, it is not him giving the 49ers the best chance to win but their defense, more specifically their defensive line, showing up game in and game out. The "ease" of his 2 starts rest on the laurel of the defense. They defensive line destroyed the Bears and the Saints O-Line; straight blew them up. The Bears couldn't move the ball and Drew Brees was pressured into throwing terrible passes.

Like I stated earlier, I like CK but he put up Smith numbers with Smith results. Everybody is so wowed by eluding the rush and the possibility of a big play that they forget only wins matter.

As today showed, if you limit the 49ers run, Kaepernick is only going to do so much.

Jim Harbaugh should throw Alex Smith back in there now. If he waits too long, they may have too many losses, IMO.

How about Jeff Fisher? 4-0-1 in the division, phenomenal with 1 tie and 4 wins.

According to Mike&Mikeinthemorning Alex is due a roster bonus of $8M in either April or March. If Kaep continues to improve I can see the 49ers cutting him. Then if they still want him resign him after his bonus date passes. It's wrong but it is a business & it's been done before

Harbaugh went down several pegs in my book (as a coach). I consider this decision to be his first big screw up in the NFL.
alex did nothing to loose his job BUT u should also look at it like this: Harbaugh was a great QB + he sees what Kaep does in practice where as we don't. Kaep could have a higher ceiling. U may feel bad for Alex but this is a business. 49ers are built to win now.

alex did nothing to loose his job BUT u should also look at it like this: Harbaugh was a great QB + he sees what Kaep does in practice where as we don't. Kaep could have a higher ceiling. U may feel bad for Alex but this is a business. 49ers are built to win now.

Key word is "could". Never know if that move should have been made at the beginning of next season, sounds awful risky to me that it is made right now.

At some point, his D and running game wont be making as many plays and he would be counted on to make more plays, the question is whether he can do that? With the Bledsoe-Brady case, Bledsoe was hurt for a considerable period though he did come in for a cameo in the playoffs when Brady got injured for a series or two. It is not the same case with Alex Smith.

The only way I will be convinced Kaepernick is the guy is if he makes few mistakes when he goes to Foxboro and beats Brady.

Key word is "could". Never know if that move should have been made at the beginning of next season, sounds awful risky to me that it is made right now.

At some point, his D and running game wont be making as many plays and he would be counted on to make more plays, the question is whether he can do that? With the Bledsoe-Brady case, Bledsoe was hurt for a considerable period though he did come in for a cameo in the playoffs when Brady got injured for a series or two. It is not the same case with Alex Smith.

The only way I will be convinced Kaepernick is the guy is if he makes few mistakes when he goes to Foxboro and beats Brady.

Actually, Bledsoe finished out the AFCCG.

But I agree with you 100%. "Potential" is what causes first round bust. Something a lot of 49ers fans do not realize is film changes a lot about how defenses attack you. The Rams had 1 game experience and 2 weeks of film and they came prepared. I think Harbaugh is the man but he is taking a huge gamble and honestly, his back is against the wall and it is self inflicted. If the 49ers start to lose, it will look very bad on him because the dependable, but plain Alex Smith, while not wowing fans and analyst, was winning games and did nothing to lose him job.

The AFC is practically sown up but this NFC (other than the Falcons) is still a battle. With how tight it is, the Seahawks still have a chance to win the NFC. The 49ers have back to back games in Foxborough and Seattle. Looking at the remaining teams, and situations, the 49ers , if all the cards fall wrong, still have a chance to miss the playoff.

agree with above

should not have been done this year,m smith was winning, just now starring with big name

Harbaugh says Kaepernick will start the next game. And in the meantime it continues to be WWIII on the 49ers forums with team Alex vs. team Kaepernick.

I can easily understand why

--------------------------

even if he didnt call the plays how t do u misfire so badly on that toss back near own endzone , & that safty was stupid , he should of avoided it

Rather have smith Vs Pats but even if starts now he is coming back cold and hasnt taken enough first team reps

thats 9 points right there he gave to Rams

Smith is due a 1 million dollar roster bonus in early March (3rd day of 2013 season) and if he is still on the roster on April 1, 2013, his 7.5 million base salary is guaranteed. That would add up to 8.5 million for the potential backup QB. He'll be released, before March is my guess.

As far as practice, it's a good measuring stick, but not without its own flaws. I hear Mark Sanchez is an awesome QB, in practice. It doesn't make to the field on Sunday, though.

I think Arizona or KC should pursue Smith as soon as 49'ers dump him. Maybe even the Jets! Build bback up that D and the ground and pound running game. Smith knows that system ;)

As far as practice, it's a good measuring stick, but not without its own flaws. I hear Mark Sanchez is an awesome QB, in practice. It doesn't make to the field on Sunday, though.

Especially when teams have a gameplan for you. I was telling a guy on *shudders* Bleacher Report that too many fans in the bay area has totally confused style with substance. Stats are just that...stats. Anybody who followed basketball in the 80s would remember Michael Jordan's record breaking 63 point game; the Bulls lost.

CK maybe good, maybe not. Potential is what gets you drafted. Success is just the manifestation of that potential.

I think everyone knows Alex Smith is an average player.....and few average QBs survive in the post-season...

Even Smith's mother doesnt think he's that good...

I dont think much of Harbaugh (he's an egomaniacal brick head) but I like this move...because

nobody thinks Alex Smith is very good..

Looking at this game, I'm really starting to wonder if making this switch was purely for financial reasons. 16-21, 177 no td's, riding the defense and running game just like they said Smith did.

If you get the same passing production out of two guys but one is younger, has a stronger arm, and is more of a threat on the run then why wouldn't you switch to that guy? Smith was having a solid season but he's just as dependent on the defense and run game and has a good deal less upside.

If you get the same passing production out of two guys but one is younger, has a stronger arm, and is more of a threat on the run then why wouldn't you switch to that guy? Smith was having a solid season but he's just as dependent on the defense and run game and has a good deal less upside.

Exactly.........you have to play your best players..not the ones with seniority