Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like rookie of the year is locked up

rg3isnumber1

eh let him have his laughs now, Considering teams that the Redskins would have to beat out for a wild card berth the Skins fans dont exactly have anything else to look forward to this year regardless if Robert wins or loses. Come January the trolling will turn into posts calling for Dan Snyders head on a stick

Actually the Redskins have a chance at the division, the NFC East is pretty wide open with the Redskins and Cowboys both at 5-6 and the Giants at 6-4. The Giants also have a tough schedule to finish things up, while the Redskins can make their own destiny against the Giants and have a more winnable schedule in the last stretch.

As far as Griffen goes, he definitely has a simpler offense than the Colts and a solid running game to help him out, but he is still very accurate and his throws still look very sharp. The kid definitely has alot of talent and he actually relies less on running than I expected. The real question is how he develops, will he continue to progress and slowly take more charge of the offense or will he buy too much into his own hype and never really improve? He seems like a smart kid and I would like to see him succeed. I would love to see him and Luck become the next top two quarterbacks. I don't see why it has to be one or the other and can't be both.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griffin's also responsible for the playfakes that cause defenses to be out of position and make his job easier and he frequently has the option to hand it off instead of throwing, which gives him another read that most people don't even think about. He may be the best in the NFL already at selling those.

That throw to Moss is probably the ONLY long ball where Griffin's given the defense a decent shot at a pick this season. Can't say the same about Luck, who is much more inclined towards those throws and has been bailed out in very similar situations before. Personally, I think it's a good sign when a QB is willing to trust his receiver to go up and get it in certain situations. IIRC, that Moss TD was a 3rd and long out of field goal range with good coverage underneath. Had it been picked it probably would have been no worse than a punt but because our QB took a chance we got a score.

you're responding as though i said griffin sucks....i didn't say that nor do i think that..in fact i said he was good (which is praise from someone who doesn't pass it out often) on this thread, but people chose to ignore it. i claimed he isn't as impressive as his stats some times indicate....and his perfect passer rating is the biggest example of that. his game thursday, imo, was much more impressive to my amateur eye.

I don't get why everyone has fallen in love with Luck. He hasn't really done anything. Everyone acts like he is destined to be a top QB or hall of famer...

So far Luck is cool.

A lot of people on this site hold him above criticism. He has a LARGE role in our blow out losses. You don't throw multiple touchdowns for the other team and expect to win. It's not the defenses fault.

People excuse his mistakes because he's a rookie but at the same time, the justify the release of Manning because Luck is the greatest prospect since John Elway and that he is NFL ready.

He didn't look NFL ready when he was missing easy targets in the Jets game. Nor did he look NFL ready when he basically gave the game to NE.

So he's just a rookie when he looks horrible, but when someone doubts Irsay's decision to pick him over RG3 or keep Manning, it's justified because he's the greatest prospect in years.

He will continue to be compared to Manning and RG3 because the Colts had the options of all of them. So people, get used to it.

So far, and it's super early, Manning and RG3 look better than Luck.

I really hope the Colts did their due diligence in selecting Luck and explored their other options (Keeping Manning or drafting RG3) instead of just impulsively blowing up the Colts because Irsay fell in to the hype surrounding Luck.

But with that being said. I like Luck. I just don't get why some make it seem like the decision to go with Luck over RG3 is above criticism. It's not.

RG3 could very well be the better of the two.

And keeping Peyton could have been more fruitful.

Time will tell.

you're responding as though i said griffin sucks....i didn't say that nor do i think that..in fact i said he was good (which is praise from someone who doesn't pass it out often) on this thread, but people chose to ignore it. i claimed he isn't as impressive as his stats some times indicate....and his perfect passer rating is the biggest example of that. his game thursday, imo, was much more impressive to my amateur eye.

I was just providing a counter-point to what you said. I actually feel the stats adequately reflect what he brings to the table most of the time and I don't agree that the Eagles game is one that you should be pointing to to prove your point. That game is one of two games this season (the other being the Steelers game) that I'd consider statistical outliers.

The typical RGIII game of about 280 yards of combined offense with 2 TDs, no turnovers, and somewhere in the 65-75% completion rate range represents his impact as a player very well.

RG3 and it's not even close.

Luck does not get to play a Eagle team that totally LAYED DOWN, or the Cowboys who are good when they want to play. They only decided to show up after halftime against the Skins.

They are both great players but Indy goes as Luck goes... Washington, I guarantee Grossman or Cousins would be looking very good with that running game also. Those WR's were just running around wide open in the first half against Dallas.

He probably will win ROTY simply because he is the media darling. But he has proven to be not nearly the clutch player Luck is. When RG3 has to throw the ball .. ie Pitt and Carolina he struggled. When Washington is running (1st in the NFL) when play action is effective he is very dangerous. But it only seems to happen when they are playing even or from ahead.

How many late game comebacks does RG3 have? How many does Luck have.

But I am biased... :goodluck:

RG3 can look at his ROTY trophy all off season while Luck is playing in the post season. :thmup:

I was just providing a counter-point to what you said. I actually feel the stats adequately reflect what he brings to the table most of the time and I don't agree that the Eagles game is one that you should be pointing to to prove your point. That game is one of two games this season (the other being the Steelers game) that I'd consider statistical outliers.

The typical RGIII game of about 280 yards of combined offense with 2 TDs, no turnovers, and somewhere in the 65-75% completion rate range represents his impact as a player very well.

Wanna swap running games?

Wanna swap running games?

Heck no.

However, you only pose that question because you seem to have missed a recurring trend in most of my recent posts where I've pointed out that, while the run game certainly helps Griffin, Griffin also helps the run game substantially. Alfred Morris is averaging 0.5 ypc more than Roy Helu did for us last year behind the same offensive line. That's quite the improvement at RB... but our team is averaging 1.2 ypc more than it did last year. That should tell you that Griffin counts for something.

I've never seen a player reap the rewards of so many broken plays in my life. Props to him for getting the ball there but dang it's just crazy. At least once a game one of those Wash WR is 10yds away from the nearest defender for an easy TD. Or a slant turn into an 80yd TD. Crazy.

I think RG3 is a very good player for a rookie or vet but you hit the nail on the head.

I don't get why everyone has fallen in love with Luck. He hasn't really done anything. Everyone acts like he is destined to be a top QB or hall of famer...

So far Luck is cool.

A lot of people on this site hold him above criticism. He has a LARGE role in our blow out losses. You don't throw multiple touchdowns for the other team and expect to win. It's not the defenses fault.

People excuse his mistakes because he's a rookie but at the same time, the justify the release of Manning because Luck is the greatest prospect since John Elway and that he is NFL ready.

He didn't look NFL ready when he was missing easy targets in the Jets game. Nor did he look NFL ready when he basically gave the game to NE.

So he's just a rookie when he looks horrible, but when someone doubts Irsay's decision to pick him over RG3 or keep Manning, it's justified because he's the greatest prospect in years.

He will continue to be compared to Manning and RG3 because the Colts had the options of all of them. So people, get used to it.

So far, and it's super early, Manning and RG3 look better than Luck.

I really hope the Colts did their due diligence in selecting Luck and explored their other options (Keeping Manning or drafting RG3) instead of just impulsively blowing up the Colts because Irsay fell in to the hype surrounding Luck.

But with that being said. I like Luck. I just don't get why some make it seem like the decision to go with Luck over RG3 is above criticism. It's not.

RG3 could very well be the better of the two.

And keeping Peyton could have been more fruitful.

Time will tell.

anyone who thinks irsay may have blew up the colts do to "hype" loses a lot of credibility. and getting rid of peyton was the only option....i can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise. considering manning's age and the state of the colts roster irsay did him the biggest favor of his career.

anyone who thinks irsay may have blew up the colts do to "hype" loses a lot of credibility. and getting rid of peyton was the only option....i can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise. considering manning's age and the state of the colts roster irsay did him the biggest favor of his career.

It was NOT the only option. And that roster was basically the same group that almost went undefeated in 09...

Win close games... and bring his team back when HE has too...

Watch both closely... really.

Also the Redskins have tougher competition. The NFC is better than the AFC. And we don't even score many points. We are barely beating scrub teams.

But the weak, incompetent team surrounding Andrew Luck is holding him back right?

the only logical one

No not really...

Taking Andrew Luck and remodeling the team was a huge risk.

Manning is proven. Luck is not. He could be a bust.

There were multiple paths that could have been taken. We could have kept Manning, traded the pick and stocked up on talent, making us undefeated this season...

You never know.

But I like how the Colts are coming along so far. Just tired of this unwarranted praise that Luck gets.

No not really...

There were multiple paths that could have been taken. We could have kept Manning, traded the pick and stocked up on talent, making us undefeated this season...

You never know.

But I like how the Colts are coming along so far. Just tired of this unwarranted praise that Luck gets.

Manning wasn't proven at the time....

Stocked up. Went undefeated? Manning can't go undefeated with the amazing team he has now.

No not really...

You never know.

i sense the presence of a man crush for #18

If Luck makes the playoffs, which could definitely happen, I'd hand that award over to him. The first #1 pick to lead his team to the playoffs.

Unless the Giants fold, which could happen, but I doubt it, the Skins aren't coming close to the playoffs.

Consider what Luck has to do compared to RG3. A lot of his TDs are to wide open receivers. I think he had 8 wide open passing TDs.

yes, it's nonsense cause you disagree...got it

It is nonsense because it is stuff you are just making up .

You say you don't think RGIII sucks - just everything in his game . But then you talk about his game - broken plays - and nothing but screen plays and dump off passes to pad stats - but that is not really his game - I mean there are a lot of short passes but that is a big part of Mike Shanahans play action west coast offense but RGIII offers more .

Luck for example plays in an offense which calls for more of a mid range passing game - but the Colts and a Redskins are different teams with different kinds of players - no two offenses are totally alike - but if as you say the Redskins are running such a simple offense then how come no-one figured them out -

You look at the Steelers game and say when they needed to pass and get back into the game RGIII couldn't do it - But wait there are two things for a throw to work - firstly the throw and then the catch - In the Steelers game the throws were there but there were something like 10 drops from all the different recievers - 2 of the drops would have gone for scores - and when 1 aspect of the offense doesn't work the entire offense looks flat . But then you look at the last two games and the chemistry between the recievers and the QB, is something you would expect from a vetran not a rookie ...

And then there is the old standby It is like the "oh he is a poor mans micheal Vick or Vince Young" but he is not a runner who plays QB but a QB who can run . And yet people still think thats all he can do despite him showing otherwise time and time again . Yes he can run - but so can Luck . Oh and he is too small he is going to get injured - That is always a possibilty but Ben is a huge QB and built like a LBer but he gets hurt all the time ..

And now "Oh but he is throwing to wide open receivers" - isn't that what a QB is supposed to do - find the miss match and exploit it . Would you be happier if Luck for example was simply ignoring wide open receivers ? Also he is also hitting those "wide open receivers in stride and getting scores . How many times do you see a WR get open downfield and the QB overthrows or misdirects the pass . The WR are getting open and RGIII is tossing the ball 50+ yards right into their hands .

And why are they wide open? Because the Shanahans have designed a scheme based on a three card monty where defenders are not sure if it is going to be a run, a QB keeper or a throw and so the defenders are peaking into the backfield - and there is no way they cannot do that - becasue we saw in the Viking game RGIII certianally has wheels and is not afriaid to run - and take it the distance but also Morris is the kind of runner that can make you hurt - he may not have the home run speed but if he breaks into the secondary it is going to take a lot to bring him down.

Morris is a great runner, amazing lower body strength - but it is the threat of RGIII that helps Morris break those runs . Lets not forget the Redskins dont have first round talent in thier backfield ( like the Colts for example) Morris came from Florida Atlantic - his team in collage sucked and he was not the primary runner - And the Redskins offensive line outside Trent Williams is a bunch of cast offs ... Yes the Redskins do have a great running game but RGIII is a huge component of that .

I dont think the rookie of the year is all that important - but if you are going to go around dissmissing RGIII then as I said before - critise him all you want but at least keep the critisisms routed in reality - insted of the ignorant garbage recycled from talking heads in the media - try watching the games ... I know you said you did - but maybe eyes are better than ears for forming opinions .

It is nonsense because it is stuff you are just making up .

You say you don't think RGIII sucks - just everything in his game . But then you talk about his game - broken plays - and nothing but screen plays and dump off passes to pad stats - but that is not really his game - I mean there are a lot of short passes but that is a big part of Mike Shanahans play action west coast offense but RGIII offers more .

Luck for example plays in an offense which calls for more of a mid range passing game - but the Colts and a Redskins are different teams with different kinds of players - no two offenses are totally alike - but if as you say the Redskins are running such a simple offense then how come no-one figured them out -

You look at the Steelers game and say when they needed to pass and get back into the game RGIII couldn't do it - But wait there are two things for a throw to work - firstly the throw and then the catch - In the Steelers game the throws were there but there were something like 10 drops from all the different recievers - 2 of the drops would have gone for scores - and when 1 aspect of the offense doesn't work the entire offense looks flat . But then you look at the last two games and the chemistry between the recievers and the QB, is something you would expect from a vetran not a rookie ...

And then there is the old standby It is like the "oh he is a poor mans micheal Vick or Vince Young" but he is not a runner who plays QB but a QB who can run . And yet people still think thats all he can do despite him showing otherwise time and time again . Yes he can run - but so can Luck . Oh and he is too small he is going to get injured - That is always a possibilty but Ben is a huge QB and built like a LBer but he gets hurt all the time ..

And now "Oh but he is throwing to wide open receivers" - isn't that what a QB is supposed to do - find the miss match and exploit it . Would you be happier if Luck for example was simply ignoring wide open receivers ? Also he is also hitting those "wide open receivers in stride and getting scores . How many times do you see a WR get open downfield and the QB overthrows or misdirects the pass . The WR are getting open and RGIII is tossing the ball 50+ yards right into their hands .

And why are they wide open? Because the Shanahans have designed a scheme based on a three card monty where defenders are not sure if it is going to be a run, a QB keeper or a throw and so the defenders are peaking into the backfield - and there is no way they cannot do that - becasue we saw in the Viking game RGIII certianally has wheels and is not afriaid to run - and take it the distance but also Morris is the kind of runner that can make you hurt - he may not have the home run speed but if he breaks into the secondary it is going to take a lot to bring him down.

Morris is a great runner, amazing lower body strength - but it is the threat of RGIII that helps Morris break those runs . Lets not forget the Redskins dont have first round talent in thier backfield ( like the Colts for example) Morris came from Florida Atlantic - his team in collage sucked and he was not the primary runner - And the Redskins offensive line outside Trent Williams is a bunch of cast offs ... Yes the Redskins do have a great running game but RGIII is a huge component of that .

I dont think the rookie of the year is all that important - but if you are going to go around dissmissing RGIII then as I said before - critise him all you want but at least keep the critisisms routed in reality - insted of the ignorant garbage recycled from talking heads in the media - try watching the games ... I know you said you did - but maybe eyes are better than ears for forming opinions .

who are you even talking to?

i never mentioned broken plays

i never said anything about padding stats

i never said the offense was simple

i never mentioned the steelers game

i never mentioned mike vick or vince young

i never mentioned the running game

Now who is making stuff up?

You give Luck too much credit.

And you don't give him enough. I've yet to see RG3 be clutch. Screens, dump offs and wide open receivers don't make you clutch or a great QB. Running a college style offense doesn't make you a great QB. Having a great running game doesn't make you a QB. Then again I'm talking to a Redskins fan who won't listen to what is being said. Oh, and yes I've watched 5 different Redskins games this season, so don't tell me I've never even seen him play.

And you don't give him enough. I've yet to see RG3 be clutch. Screens, dump offs and wide open receivers don't make you clutch or a great QB. Running a college style offense doesn't make you a great QB. Having a great running game doesn't make you a QB. Then again I'm talking to a Redskins fan who won't listen to what is being said. Oh, and yes I've watched 5 different Redskins games this season, so don't tell me I've never even seen him play.

I'm not a Redskins fan... I bleed blue buddy.

But turning over the ball 17 teams is clutch? I give Luck all the credit in the world for overcoming the Packers, but the Colts have played some absolute cupcake teams this year (as have the Redskins, in retrospect, but that's another point). Jacksonville twice, the Jets, the Dolphins, Cleveland, Tennessee (and they get to play them again), and they still have matchups against Buffalo, Detroit, and Kansas City. It's not as if Luck and the Colts are playing world class teams. And the perception that he is ultra clutch is a bit misleading; the majorit of the Colts' wins, especially over that winning streak, were by 6 points or less, and the only team they've blown out this year are the hapless Jaguars.

And to fault Griffin for taking the short passes is misguided. So much goes into where a quarterback throws. Maybe the first two reads are covered and he's settling for a checkdown? Maybe the checkdown is his first read? Who knows - maybe Luck is just very poor at reading defenses and tosses is it up deep every time on a wish and a prayer? That's another thing: would you rather your quarterback throw to those wide open receivers or toss it into double coverage just because it's the riskier play? Throwing to the open receivers shows good play recognition and ability to look off defenders, somthing Griffin has done excellently to this point.

Lastly, as others have said before, Griffin makes that running game go. Morris is a solid running back who runs with a lot of power, but he's not a threat to take it 30+ yards. The ability for Griffin to sell play-action and the zone read fakes so well opens up huge holes for Morris; to deny Griffin's impact on the running game is ludicrous.

I've watched few Colts games this year so I'm not going to comment extensively on my opinion of Luck, but from what I've seen he, too, has excellent ball placement and can manage the pocket very well, but he has no better than average arm strength and tends to float out routes and comebacks.

Robert Griffin himself is a big reason that that running game is so good. The threat of him scrambling or picking up first downs on designed runs makes the job even easier for a runningback. Winning games with no name receivers (with the exception of Moss) is pretty impressive in my eyes. In any case, both 12 and Griffin look very promising. We can only wait and see what the future beholds.

Here we go:

Andrew Luck.....235/412...57%...2965yds...12/12 TD/INT...7.2Yds per Att...12.6Yds per Comp...296.5Yds per Game...77.2Passer Rating...75.64QBR...22Sks...2 4th QT comebacks...4 Game Winning Drives...163rushYds...5TDs...4.7YPC...

Luck has had 4Tds over 30 yards, 4Tds under 7yards...the others are 14,8,16,9...He has gained 211yds on TD passes, avg 17yds per TD...

Andrew Lucks team is 6-4, and the teams he's competed against are 43/49 (1 1-9Team), with 2 wins over teams with a winning record....

Robert Griffin.....206/305...67%...2504...16/4 TD/INT...8.2Yds per Att...12.2Yds per comp...227.6Yds per Game...104.6 Passer Rating...72.09QBR...26sacks...1 4th QT Comeback...1 Game Winning Drive....642rush Yds...6TDs...6.5YPC...

Griffin has had 7TDs over 30yds, 6TDs under 7yards...the others are 29,26,17...He has gained 523yds on TD passes, avg 32yds per TD...

Griffins team is 5-6 and the teams he's competed against are 56/54/1 (1, 9-1Team) with 2 wins over teams with a winning record...

Luck has more/better: Wins...Comp...Att...Yds...Int...Yds per Comp...Yds Per Game...QBR...4th QT CB...Game Winning Drives....sacks (less than rg3)...

Griffin has more/better: Comp%...TDs...Yds per Att...Passer rating....Rush Yds/TDs/Avg...

***And Griffin has played 1 more game than Luck***

Considering RG3 won't be sniffing playoffs

It's still close

I know the troll ticked you off but saying RG3 won't sniff the playoffs is showing your uninformed and not looking at the standings. Right now the redskins are a game and a half behind the giants for the division lead. And this week the G-men play the Packers who easily could beat them meaning the Skins would be 1 game back and guess what? play the G-men next week on Monday night football. Andrew Luck and the Colts on the other hand are 3.5 games back of the division. So RG3 might sniff the playoffs more then you think.

Here we go:

Andrew Luck.....235/412...57%...2965yds...12/12 TD/INT...7.2Yds per Att...12.6Yds per Comp...296.5Yds per Game...77.2Passer Rating...75.64QBR...22Sks...2 4th QT comebacks...4 Game Winning Drives...163rushYds...5TDs...4.7YPC...

Luck has had 4Tds over 30 yards, 4Tds under 7yards...the others are 14,8,16,9...He has gained 211yds on TD passes, avg 17yds per TD...

Andrew Lucks team is 6-4, and the teams he's competed against are 43/49 (1 1-9Team), with 2 wins over teams with a winning record....

Robert Griffin.....206/305...67%...2504...16/4 TD/INT...8.2Yds per Att...12.2Yds per comp...227.6Yds per Game...104.6 Passer Rating...72.09QBR...26sacks...1 4th QT Comeback...1 Game Winning Drive....642rush Yds...6TDs...6.5YPC...

Griffin has had 7TDs over 30yds, 6TDs under 7yards...the others are 29,26,17...He has gained 523yds on TD passes, avg 32yds per TD...

Griffins team is 5-6 and the teams he's competed against are 56/54/1 (1, 9-1Team) with 2 wins over teams with a winning record...

Luck has more/better: Wins...Comp...Att...Yds...Int...Yds per Comp...Yds Per Game...QBR...4th QT CB...Game Winning Drives....sacks (less than rg3)...

Griffin has more/better: Comp%...TDs...Yds per Att...Passer rating....Rush Yds/TDs/Avg...

***And Griffin has played 1 more game than Luck***

You left of a few HUGE stats its called RUSHING and RUSHING TD's. RG3 642 yards and 6 TD's Luck 165 yds. 5 TD's. Also using QBR is bull crap that is a made up ESPN stat the NFL doesnt use QBR. The QB rating they use RG3 is 104.6 and Luck 77.2.....Using espn's QBR is like using a rating system I made up lol. I know you put both but QBR is dumb use just the real rating that is official.