Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colts.com

SERIES FLASHBACK: 1999, 2006

1 post in this topic

Buffalo and Indianapolis have met 66 times previously, largely on the basis of being paired in the AFC East from 1970-2001. This marks only the fourth series renewal since 2002 divisional realignment, and this is the first regular-season visit by Buffalo to Lucas Oil Stadium. The Bills lead the series, 35-30-1. The Colts have won 12-of-19 meetings in Indianapolis, and they hope to move to 7-4 with a win Sunday over a former divisional foe.

View the full article

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Cardinals , Cubs and all MLB 2016
      What a game  Now I remember why I cannot listen to a Cardinal Radio Broadcast
    • 2015-2016 Indiana Pacers (And rest of the NBA) Season
      100-60 after 3 quarters.......very, very embarassing
    • Let's talk UDFA: Tevaun Smith
      Lol I was about to quote krunk and tell him shhhhh that may be the next discussion lol. I was going to open it up with him but I chose smith instead. Maybe I'll start and do all the WR then move to RB etc. But I am planning on doing it
    • Let's talk UDFA: Tevaun Smith
      I don't disagree with that -- he's got the athletic ability and the size, but his hands and route-running are suspect.  Hopefully he can be coached to improve in those areas..... not to be a jerk, but this topic is about Tevaun Smith, hopefully we can discuss McKay in a future thread if the OP continues this type of thing.
    • Seen Any Good Movies Lately? Rental Or New Release...Share Your Insights/Reviews Please...
      I will return to football discussions soon I promise. I'm just in a cinematic frame of mind lately. I go thru phases like this where I need a break from the rigors of daily life so I immerse myself in movie mania to recharge the batteries. Part of it, is that I value what films have to say about the human condition, the struggles we encounter, & how situations get resolved in the end. Even bad pictures can sometimes have merit. I say that because by understanding a film's shortcomings a reviewer & their audience learns where a picture went off the rails, how mistakes should have been fixed, & what constitutes a tight & effective flick overall. Am I an established film critic myself? No, but I suppose on some subconscious level SW1 would secretly like to be, which explains why my critiques are so darn detailed & long I guess. Plus, my fondness for musicians probably explains why I always try to tie in a song or number that addresses either a central theme or a character's torment in some capacity. Movie scores is where we obtain our emotional intensity as an audience & why we care about certain characters too.    On Monday night, I watched 2014 desolate, end of the world picture called "The Rover" directed by David Michod. We are located somewhere in the Australian Outback after some kind of war has transpired. How many people perished or why we have no idea. All we know for sure is this: A lot of buildings appear deserted, guns, fuel, & food are the essential commodities for survival; cars & trucks still exist with a few paved roads to drive on are still around, & frontier vigilante western justice is the law of the land meaning if you want something that you don't own outright you take it by force if necessary.    We are never told why this society down under collapsed just that we enter this continental tale 10 yrs after civilization there imploded. 1 of the things that you will immediately notice about this picture is how quiet it is with very little dialog & virtually explosions in it unlike say 75-80% of films made in the United States. I like that about films shot outside North America: They tend to take you along for the ride riding shotgun with the man character in silence. They don't insult their audience with smart caboose sidekicks, know it heroes, & formulaic plot lines you can predict within the 1st 25 minutes. The director makes you feel like you are just as bewildered as the main character, which makes you pay closer attention to your surroundings & where in the hades you are going.    Plotline: The camera zooms in on Eric's [Guy Pearce] face as he sits in right handed driver's seat of his car. He looks confused like he's in a trance he can't get out of. He's a white guy with facial hair who appears to be in his early 30's. He kicks open his door after what feels like an eternity & walks across the street into a dimly light, nearly empty pub. He asks the bartender for a shot of whiskey, pays for it, & sits down on a stool. Something has got him preoccupied but we have no idea what that is. He slams down his booze still in a haze of uncertainty. Not far from his stool there is a tiny window on the adjacent wall.   All of a sudden we hear a truck engine fly down the road, roar around the corner spitting up gravel in it tires, & flip violently over several times end of end. What the hades? This truck must have a tremendous roll cage on it because it lands on it's wheels with no shattered glass or roof cave in on it. The driver slammed into a structure & can't get reverse to work properly. They need a new mode of transportation for a swift getaway. One of the men inside the truck named Henry [Scoot McNairy] is bleeding from the left side of abdomen. It's not from the capsized truck. It looks like a gun shot wound. Did they just rob a bank? Probably. Wait...This is a barren wasteland with sparse nomadic people around. I can't envision a bank with a lot of loot available still in operation. Where would criminals get access to large quantities of cash? Gas stations? Come on, this makes no sense. Who fires bullets at a getaway vehicle with no major businesses to steal money from around for miles man?    Well anyway, an elderly man in his late 50's or early 60's with silver rimmed glasses named Archie [David Field] spots Eric's parked car. He runs across the street, smashes the window on the driver's side with a gun handle, & he proceeds to manually hotwire Eric's car. His 2 bank heist buddies join him inside what looks like a blue Toyota Celica & zoom down the road with the accelerator pressed all the way to the floor. Eric realizes his car has been stolen so he jumps in their old vehicle, puts the gear shift in reverse, & he pursues them with a resolve & fervor of a guy with nothing to lose. Eric looks royally ticked off like a man who will move heaven & earth to get his ride back. Why's this car so darn important to him? He must be packing some precious cargo in that car somewhere or the vehicle has sentimental value to him for 1 reason or another.    Eric catches up to these 3 thugs who took his wheels without permission & after some chicken & mouse games; He almost chokes Archie with his bare hands until Henry hits him in the back of his skull with the stock of the firearm he was carrying on him. After Eric walks up & comes to, he walks into the only business around & asks patrons inside if they have seen 3 guys in a car say within the last 20 minutes. He is encouraged to speak to 80 yr old woman in the back room simply called "Grandma" [Gillian Jones]. Grandma isn't all there mentally. She seems feeble minded or strung out on drugs like an ancient madam of a remote brothel house for shady individuals with plenty of cash. Eric is able to convince a short, vertically challenged person to sell him a 9MM glock with the clip inside & then assassinate him with no trepidation at all. Clearly, Eric has had some level of precision military training. You can tell by the way he carries himself & the ease at which he can take a life so easily without any remorse or regret.    Eric strolls back into grandma's room demanding that she tell him everything she knows about the car thieves. He even * the hammer & points the barrel toward her. Grandma isn't scarred at all. She pushes the barrel away with her finger & Eric doesn't have the heart to drop her because the lights may be on but no ones home. Eric walks out to the truck & spots a bloody fingerprint on the door frame. It turns out that Henry threw his younger brother Reynolds [Robert Pattinson] out of the road when the robbers changed vehicles believing he was dead & gone. Rey, for short, wanted to know what this stranger named Eric was doing with his older sibling's truck. Eric knew that Rey was the key to getting his car back from the 3 thieves requiring Eric to get this young kid immediate medical attention before he bleeds out completely.    This 1 hour 40 minute picture drags a bit pacing wise as these 2 pinpoint the necessary doctor in this backwoods territory, she patches Rey up for no money or barter items [Not realistic or even plausible to me], & this physician has barely anything to eat, but out of the goodness of heart, she'll take in stray dogs as pets but not eat them herself even though every living citizen there suffers from starvation. [Yeah right. Whatever lady.]   We see that Eric, a man of very few words, knows how to return fire while under fire himself with ice in his veins & he able to make Rey see that his brother Henry who left him for dead on the road isn't worth his family loyalty in the end. Finally, after Eric is arrested by the Australian army for shooting at Rey his only friend in this wasteland & murdering a fellow officer, we are given a crucial piece of information: Eric found his wife cheating on him with another lover while he was away &, in the course of the crossfire that gunned down his wife & her lover, his precious dog got cut down in the aftermath. Eric wrapped his beloved canine in a blanket, set it gently in the truck, & decided to have a drink honoring the loss of his spouse & prized pooch in the same day. That's why he wanted his Toyota back--He loved that darn dog more than anything else in this world & no criminal bafoons were gonna take away his right to administer last rites to his cherished 4 legged friend darn it.    So let's review all the problems with this picture shall we...What bank are 3 fools gonna rob in the middle of nowhere with no thriving businesses around? What Dr. would perform major surgery on a stranger for no money for food or supplies? What Dr. would run a shelter for stray dogs with no food resources anywhere around for miles & not eat the animals with no unified economy up & running after a major war had taken place?    Oh yeah, I should mention that the 2 brothers Henry & Rey shot each other when Eric caught up to his car & inspected the building the 3 criminals were sleeping in.    I did like how quiet this film was though like a theatre play where Eric had to convey 90% of his emotions strictly by facial expressions alone. He's not a man you wanna cross & don't get between a man & his best friend or you won't live to talk about it. Is the "Rover" simply a bad day revenge story? Yes, I suppose it is. There's nothing wrong with simple themes in movies. I just hate films that drag for long sequences making their audience drowsy & take way to long to reach it's final conclusion. On some level, the director deserves credit for forcing the audience to see what Eric was so upset about once his car was stolen. I just expected a bigger character motivation I guess. I get the bond between owners & animal lovers & it's kind of touching to witness an owner finish the day just the way he wanted.    Let's roll with a C+ on "The Rover" because it took too long to drive the central thesis home: Forget the dog beware of the darn owner. If you hurt him; I hurt you. It's as simple as that.       
  • Welcome New Members

• Member Introductions! (Say Hi!)
      When I first saw this thread, I thought I was late to the party, but then I saw that this thread has been going since 2012.   I'm still late to the party, but story of my life.  I joined in 2015, but have been a Colts fan since I was a kid.   My first Colts memory is getting a hat signed by Quentin Coryatt at training camp, and that same year almost going to the SB.   My favorite Colts memory is beating the Pats to get to the SB in 2006.   Favorite Colts:   1. Peyton Manning 2. Marvin Harrison 3. Reggie Wayne 4. Dallas Clark 5. Brandon Stokely   Needless to say, Peyton (#1) and everyone he threw the ball to (#2-5) won me many, many fantasy football games, and are my guys for eternity.   You might assume from my top 5 Colts that I am a "new-age" "fairweather" fan who only likes offense and points.  You are wrong.  I am grateful for the offensive Renaissance in Indy, but Defense is my passion.  My secret top 5 Colts: Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Cato June, Gary Brackett.   I want Henry Anderson to help lead a Defensive Renaissance in Indy.  Luck and TY are great, and I hope the OLine is outstanding, but the D is the Key.
    • Member Introductions! (Say Hi!)
      Hey guys,   I have been posting for probably a year or so now.  I reside in Brazil, IN, which is about 20 minutes East of Terre Haute on I-70.  I'm 28 years old and have been a Colts fan since Harbaugh days, but really started following and rooting hard for them after they drafted Manning in 98.  I love our team and my family and I make sure we are ready to rock for every game.  We always have viewing parties at my father-in-laws or my house and are known to holler and scream at the TV!  Hope all is well with all of you, and GO COLTS!
  • Members

• AndyColt

AndyColt 23

• dw49

dw49 2,115

• FeedCrief

FeedCrief 155

• Boiler_Colt

Boiler_Colt 1,088

• Andrew Luck's Beard

Andrew Luck's Beard 347

• Smonroe

Smonroe 5,912

• IndyD4U

IndyD4U 1,674

• JRnINDY

JRnINDY 158

• Archer

Archer 585

• PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger 2,673

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.