Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Loving Hilton...But...

IndyTrav

Maybe we don't need a guy to go up and get a ball if our QB was accurate enough to not put it in that position, which Andrew Luck is. That #1 guy you want is a luxury, not a need. I prefer guys like Reggie and Marvin, who use precision and great ball skills to beat their man, not jump 10 feet in the air to catch an overthrown ball.

true but how many 5'9" physical receivers do ya know that can handle being jammed at the LOS against a physical Corner that can also go get a ball when it has to be placed in a specific spot

The problem is not many of these guys exist anymore. It's a different game. But at the same time why not get a guy who can do those things, AND go get the ball.

I'm trying to think of a player drafted in the last 6years that meets your criteria, and simply can't.

Maybe there are... but the're just stuck in a really bad QB play offense. Harvin comes to mind.. Oh and (Greg)Jennings's game is alot like Marv and Reggies. Cecil Shorts looks very promising but is stuck with Gabbert at QB.

true but how many 5'9" physical receivers do ya know that can handle being jammed at the LOS against a physical Corner that can also go get a ball when it has to be placed in a specific spot

It's not like when Hilton and those other short WRs get jammed that they get completely taken out of the play. Heck i've seen Fitz and Megatron get jammed before.

Maybe there are... but the're just stuck in a really bad QB play offense. Harvin comes to mind.. Oh and (Greg)Jennings's game is alot like Marv and Reggies. Cecil Shorts looks very promising but is stuck with Gabbert at QB.

Jennings would be a good comparison. He's right at that 6yr limit. But he's had some elite qb action his whole career.

Harvin would be close but his game is entirely different than Reg/Marv.

To early for Shorts.

Hilton hasn't shown he has consistent hands or consistent numbers, 3 great games so far dont make him a #1

he also isn't targeted as much in certain games overall hilton will be a monster as long as he stays healthy afterall he does lead the team in receiving tds

Ok here we go again...*sigh*

First off, part of the reason it seems he has a lot more drops than he has, is that the ones he does drop are very high profile, wide open drops. People always remember the mistakes a person makes, rather than look at all the other positives.

As of right now, Reggie has 2 more official drops than Hilton...(6-4) In the AFC..top leaders in drops include the following..

Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace...(not to mention TE'ds Rob Gronkowski and Jermaine Gresham.

and that's not counting the NFC, where leaders in drops include Jimmy Graham, Victor Cruz, Megatron, Jody Nelson, Brandon Marchall, and Jason Witten.

All of these players have more official drops that TY..I'm sure no one would be complaining about drops nearly as much if we had any of those players on the team...

Also, to bring up another point, is that he was totally overlooked in the previous game against the Jags. He had only 1 target the entire game, the week after he had a 100 yard game. Then, this week, he was targeted often and produced a 3rd 100 yard game with 2 more scores.

The kid is producing well and coming through a lot more often than not when asked. As Hilton grows and develops, he'll learn to run better routes, better his blocking, and become a solid NFL receiver. And as long as he continues to produce and be effective, who really cares if he's a 1..2..or 3...I"m glad he's on the Colts..and hope he plays well for years to come..

And, as for the returns, I feel that he should only be returning punts..He's averaging about 8 yards per return, with virtually no blocking, (ie all the fair catches) I think Brazill or someone a bit bigger should handle the kickoff duties..Although we see Holliday and a few others over the years be smaller types on kickoffs, Hilton's the type to be elusive and quick, which suits a punt returner more in the long run, than it does on kickoffs...

First off, part of the reason it seems he has a lot more drops than he has, is that the ones he does drop are very high profile, wide open drops. People always remember the mistakes a person makes, rather than look at all the other positives.

As of right now, Reggie has 2 more official drops than Hilton...(6-4) In the AFC..top leaders in drops include the following..

Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace...(not to mention TE'ds Rob Gronkowski and Jermaine Gresham.

and that's not counting the NFC, where leaders in drops include Jimmy Graham, Victor Cruz, Megatron, Jody Nelson, Brandon Marchall, and Jason Witten.

All of these players have more official drops that TY..I'm sure no one would be complaining about drops nearly as much if we had any of those players on the team...

Also, to bring up another point, is that he was totally overlooked in the previous game against the Jags. He had only 1 target the entire game, the week after he had a 100 yard game. Then, this week, he was targeted often and produced a 3rd 100 yard game with 2 more scores.

The kid is producing well and coming through a lot more often than not when asked. As Hilton grows and develops, he'll learn to run better routes, better his blocking, and become a solid NFL receiver. And as long as he continues to produce and be effective, who really cares if he's a 1..2..or 3...I"m glad he's on the Colts..and hope he plays well for years to come..

And, as for the returns, I feel that he should only be returning punts..He's averaging about 8 yards per return, with virtually no blocking, (ie all the fair catches) I think Brazill or someone a bit bigger should handle the kickoff duties..Although we see Holliday and a few others over the years be smaller types on kickoffs, Hilton's the type to be elusive and quick, which suits a punt returner more in the long run, than it does on kickoffs...

preach__copy.gif

Wayne has 130targets. Calvin 106. Cruz 104. Hilton 54.

All those guys are going against the #1CB. Often with help over the top. And is some cases like Calvin double covered with help over the top.

Gordon is on the Browns, a much worse team. And generally on the 1 or 2 CB. Missed all of TC and a few preseason games, in a tougher division and tougher spot than Hilton. In my book he gets the nod on the better season to this point.

Again I don't know that consistency is the right word. But Hilton completely disappears in other games. Is it scheme. Luck. Play calls etc. I don't know.

But if we as Colts fans are going to go bananas over 3 100yd games, then we should also consider the 7 where he did nothing. It's objective.

And people. Myself included consider him a slot guy because there are 0 #1wr in the NFL his size.

marvin harrison wasn't much bigger, if at all. i know the colts listed marv at 6ft..but that guy was tiny. not saying he is a number 1, but he has the ability to play of the outside.

marvin harrison wasn't much bigger, if at all. i know the colts listed marv at 6ft..but that guy was tiny. not saying he is a number 1, but he has the ability to play of the outside.

As I was discussing with another poster I'm having a hard time picking out a WR drafted in the last 6 years who has performed well (or as 1) that is similar in stature. It's hard to pick one out in 8years that is similar to Reggie. All outside guys that perform well now are in the 6-2 6-5 210 230lb range.

The closest me and the other poster got was Harvin (who plays a completely diff game) Greg Jennings (elite qb, other WRs performing in his absence). Perhaps Roddy White, although he is bigger than both Wayne and Hilton, and he's on that 8yr cusp.

As I was discussing with another poster I'm having a hard time picking out a WR drafted in the last 6 years who has performed well (or as 1) that is similar in stature. It's hard to pick one out in 8years that is similar to Reggie. All outside guys that perform well now are in the 6-2 6-5 210 230lb range.

The closest me and the other poster got was Harvin (who plays a completely diff game) Greg Jennings (elite qb, other WRs performing in his absence). Perhaps Roddy White, although he is bigger than both Wayne and Hilton, and he's on that 8yr cusp.

antonio brown maybe, desean jackson (kinda), hakeem nicks who is 6'1...although he plays bigger, mike wallace. but yeah, generally i agree

Hilton is outperforming everyone in our draft except for Luck. He is outperforming everybody else's middle round receivers as well. Josh Gordon was taken in the 2nd round, wasn't he, ahead of Hilton. At the beginning of the season, our coaches trusted Avery more because he had same speed and more experience. Now, we target Hilton as much or more. He earned that. I predict he will make some really big plays for us at the end of the season.

I'm partial to Allen as the best rookie besides Luck. Allen is the best blocking TE we have had in a while, he's not bad in the passing game, but the best part is that he seems to be a durable workhorse who's built to do the dirty work and stay on the field.

I'm partial to Allen as the best rookie besides Luck. Allen is the best blocking TE we have had in a while, he's not bad in the passing game, but the best part is that he seems to be a durable workhorse who's built to do the dirty work and stay on the field.

Allen has had plenty of boo boo's this year, dropped balls and penalties.

Hilton IS the steal of this draft (for the Colts). And i honestly think Allen and TY are both the steal of the entire draft. They are really playing well. He is a 3rd WR and is putting better #'s than nearly all rookie at the same position. He is a game changer.

This is hilarious. Hilton may not be this or that, but the guy is a late third round rookie. We haven't seen his best yet, and thus far, what we have seen is commendable.

The guys in the tall WR boat need to understand that good WRs are not all 6-3/6-4, etc. I remember watch an NFL films presentation, and Jack Del Rio was all proud of his WR who was as big as a linebacker, and still ran a 4.4 forty. That guy was Reggie Williams, if I recall correctly. He is nowhere to be found in the league now. As a 9th overall pick, he put up 268 yards, 27 receptions, and 1 TD across 15 games.

Hilton has 30 receptions, 455 yards, and 4 tds across 9 games thus far, with a rookie QB throwing him the ball, and we nabbed him in the late 3rd round.

I'll take a GOOD receiver over a tall one every single day. And at this point, I'd say Hilton is looking like a good receiver. He may be in the upper tier of receivers later in his career, but right now, he is good enough.

The biggest problem is his hands. He has a lot of drops (considering he doesn't have that many targets). He needs to work on his hands if he ever wants to be a solid #2 receiver or even think about being a #1 guy.

Another problem is his route running. He runs sloppy routes sometimes, and is why he gets covered easily a lot. As a receiver, you try to make it unknown where you're going to go. I watch him, and I can tell you what route he's running, and I'm the furthest thing from a psychic.

The good news about him is that his upside is crazy. You're looking at Percy Harvin upside, which is kinda crazy.

yea, but teams are tough when you get deep into the playoffs and have guys like Gronkowski who can embarass even the best of CB's. You eventually need a taller receiver with blessed hands and speed. Wallace comes to mind and others.