Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Offensive Philosophy

Flash7

The new Colts offense is fun and exciting when things are clicking on all cylinders. But, it doesn't produce many points, and essentially, that's what really matters.

I find myself thinking that it's great that Luck is allowed to be "gunslinger" and take intermediate and deep shots, but is it an effective philosophy overall? After watching Brady and his execution of his offense, with primarily short slants and crossing routes to his playmaking receivers, I ask myself, what if our offense was more efficient like theirs? Don't we have playmakers that can take a slant and use their speed and elusiveness to turn a short pass into a large gain, (Hilton, Brazill, Avery)?

Where are the screens?

Why do we ask a rookie to carry so much of the responsibility to run this type of offense?

Is this offense playing to Luck's strengths?

Where are the designed roll-out for our mobile and accurate QB?

We've already discussed why Luck has a low completion percentage, (many factors). Yes, he has good stats relative to how many yards he's thrown, but his overall effectiveness has been limited by this offense. I think by adding more plays designed for efficiency to our existing playbook would go a long way in helping our overall offense, including our O-line, Luck and limiting turnovers and not having to carry so much of the burden of the offense; and our receivers.

Your thoughts on our offensive philosophy-- which emphasizes deep passes?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to keep in mind that we are playing with a patchwork offensive line. That determines a lot of what we can and cannot do regardless of anyone's philosophy.

I totally understand, but a patchwork offensive line indicate to most coaches the need to get rid of the ball fast, thus shorter passes. We, however, despite a patchwork offensive line want Luck to drop back, wait until a deep route developes, dodge would-be tacklers, and make an accurate throw 20-30 yards down the field-- and do this 40-50 times per game. I think it's right to question this philosophy, isn't it?

I'm not that fond of it.

When Polian/Caldwell were fired, I wanted a coach with a West Coast background and that was the same thought whether 18 remained in place or not. With Luck running a version of it in college it made even more sense to bring in someone well-versed it to continue his growth. It would be somewhat similar to what Shanahan did with RGIII and the Baylor offense, utilizing some of the concepts, to make his move to the pros similar. Tannehill, is running the same exact offense that he ran at A&M so that has helped him transition to the pro gram. Obviously Luck will grow in this system, but even then I'm not sold on this system being that solid.

It's risk reward, and I'm certain that if we had hired a WCO coach as opposed to Arians, then I believe we would have more points, possibly more wins and Luck's #'s would look more favorable.

The passing concepts that Arians is using is bordering on the Run & Shoot with the longer passing routes that take time to develop, and I just feel that he could have put Luck in a much better situation at various times.

Screens/roll-outs/etc are all phases that seem to be missing. 6-4 is 6-4, and nearly 300 yards a game is nearly 300 yards a game but I think Luck would have been better off today and in the future with a WCO. There is also no question that the QB2 would be better off with that system in place if something should happen to Luck.

Yet we will just have to deal with Arians and his predictable tendencies, his hard-headedeness and his higher risk offense unless someone makes him an offer at OC, then I could see the team making the mistake of promoting Clyde Christensen who would likely install concepts from the Arians offense and the Manning/Moore offense which would be an even bigger mistake.

I totally understand, but a patchwork offensive line indicate to most coaches the need to get rid of the ball fast, thus shorter passes. We, however, despite a patchwork offensive line want Luck to drop back, wait until a deep route developes, dodge would-be tacklers, and make an accurate throw 20-30 yards down the field-- and do this 40-50 times per game. I think it's right to question this philosophy, isn't it?

The worse your offensive line is the shorter the depth of your targets need to be. Quicker reads.

I can't help but concur with your logic, even if you use a shorter passing game to set up the longer throws. We seem to start well and then fall into a one dimensional offense as games progress. The over targeting of Reggie as well can work against sometimes, but I understand why he's getting that many targets. Really hurt us against the Pats though.

I'm a novice when it comes to the nuances of the play calling so I feel it's unfair of me to be overly critical, but it does seem like our play calling is a little off sometimes.

The worse your offensive line is the shorter the depth of your targets need to be. Quicker reads.

EXACTLY! We're taking the opposite approach and asking for Luck to make difficult plays and throws as the norm. I think that Luck would be successful in most offenses. He's having some success with this offense, (ranked 4th in the league) but I still think, as you've mentioned, that he would greatly benefit from being in another type of system, perhaps a WCO. Imagine if he was in that system and performing better. That would be scary.

I'm also a little confused on why its such a vertically minded offense when the major doubt pre draft for Luck was arm strength. I have only mainly seen highlights of his Stanford days but it seemed to be a run offense backed by short slants and PA deep shots. Also making use of target TEs, Fleener and Ertz (SP?).

As much as I'm a fan of Andrew some of his longer shots have been slightly off, when you combine that with throwing into coverage because he's being pass rushed and wants to get rid... Bad things happen.

EXACTLY! We're taking the opposite approach and asking for Luck to make difficult plays and throws as the norm. I think that Luck would be successful in most offenses. He's having some success with this offense, (ranked 4th in the league) but I still think, as you've mentioned, that he would greatly benefit from being in another type of system, perhaps a WCO. Imagine if he was in that system and performing better. That would be scary.

One thing that bothers me about it is that the routes are a lot deeper in some cases, and Luck doesn't have time to let those routes mature, at times he's forced to throw to a shorter target, and do so in a hurry at times which will decrease his accuracy and even on some completed passes, the ball is still too much off target for the receiver to catch it and do a lot with it. Which is one reason for a lack of YAC. The home runs aren't developing and if he's lucky he can get a stand up double, but a lot of times he's getting single if not just fouling it off to save a sack. Or he's forced to locate Wayne and force a throw to him which is where the majority of his interceptions have come.

Since the longer routes aren't developing it basically takes the receiver out of a play and what good is that.

I'm just not sold on the approach.

I'm not that fond of it.

When Polian/Caldwell were fired, I wanted a coach with a West Coast background and that was the same thought whether 18 remained in place or not. With Luck running a version of it in college it made even more sense to bring in someone well-versed it to continue his growth. It would be somewhat similar to what Shanahan did with RGIII and the Baylor offense, utilizing some of the concepts, to make his move to the pros similar. Tannehill, is running the same exact offense that he ran at A&M so that has helped him transition to the pro gram. Obviously Luck will grow in this system, but even then I'm not sold on this system being that solid.

It's risk reward, and I'm certain that if we had hired a WCO coach as opposed to Arians, then I believe we would have more points, possibly more wins and Luck's #'s would look more favorable.

The passing concepts that Arians is using is bordering on the Run & Shoot with the longer passing routes that take time to develop, and I just feel that he could have put Luck in a much better situation at various times.

Screens/roll-outs/etc are all phases that seem to be missing. 6-4 is 6-4, and nearly 300 yards a game is nearly 300 yards a game but I think Luck would have been better off today and in the future with a WCO. There is also no question that the QB2 would be better off with that system in place if something should happen to Luck.

Yet we will just have to deal with Arians and his predictable tendencies, his hard-headedeness and his higher risk offense unless someone makes him an offer at OC, then I could see the team making the mistake of promoting Clyde Christensen who would likely install concepts from the Arians offense and the Manning/Moore offense which would be an even bigger mistake.

Correct me if I'm wrong FJC but I'm sure you posted a Set frequency breakdown where we looked to be overly predictable in our Run/pass play calling, is that trend still continuing in your opinion?

I would prefer a varied passing game where things were made a little easier on Luck through play calling. Also, the situational play calling could be better. That said, they move the ball as well as anyone in the league. If they weren't turning the ball over and were finishing drives, I'm not sure we would have much to complain about. Self destruction; youthful mistakes - this is why they're not scoring as much as they should. Iron that out, and everything will be fine.

Or he's forced to locate Wayne and force a throw to him which is where the majority of his interceptions have come.

Force-feeding Reggie is where a majority of Manning's INTs happened as well. Psychologically speaking, I understand it. If you are going to force a ball, you force it to the player you trust the most to come up with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong FJC but I'm sure you posted a Set frequency breakdown where we looked to be overly predictable in our Run/pass play calling, is that trend still continuing in your opinion?

For the most part. There has been a slight shift in some of the categories, but that will happen with more attempts and with some of the #'s being one-sided an additional attempt will alter it.

I'll see if I can work something up for the first 5 games vs. second 5 games to compare

Force-feeding Reggie is where a majority of Manning's INTs happened as well. Psychologically speaking, I understand it. If you are going to force a ball, you force it to the player you trust the most to come up with it.

That is a fair point. It happens. when you have one guy getting 30%+ of the targets team pick up on it. I remember a few weeks ago when I crunched some #'s on that, Atlanta had what I would call nearly a perfect break down. 25% each to White/Jones/Gonzalez and the rest of the team, splitting 25%.

For the most part. There has been a slight shift in some of the categories, but that will happen with more attempts and with some of the #'s being one-sided an additional attempt will alter it.

I'll see if I can work something up for the first 5 games vs. second 5 games to compare

That would be excellent thank you, I enjoy reading your breakdown of stats. I would have thought that losing Fleener had some effect but it looks like Allen has stepped in and Saunders has covered the blocking.

That is a fair point. It happens. when you have one guy getting 30%+ of the targets team pick up on it. I remember a few weeks ago when I crunched some #'s on that, Atlanta had what I would call nearly a perfect break down. 25% each to White/Jones/Gonzalez and the rest of the team, splitting 25%.

I think this really speaks to vets vs. rookies too. Luck looks around and sees TY, Allen, Brazill, Fleener, Ballard, while Ryan has the luxury of vets and a HOF TE. I don't watch a lot of all-22, but I would guess that some of these kids are running loose routes, wrong routes, not to even get into Luck's reads, etc. I'd lock onto Wayne too..

I think this really speaks to vets vs. rookies too. Luck looks around and sees TY, Allen, Brazill, Fleener, Ballard, while Ryan has the luxury of vets and a HOF TE. I don't watch a lot of all-22, but I would guess that some of these kids are running loose routes, wrong routes, not to even get into Luck's reads, etc. I'd lock onto Wayne too..

He could definately throw to a worse receiver. I just thought it was odd, and obviously I doubt it was planned to have that 25/25/25/25 split in Atlanta, and I just looked and it is currently has shifted a bit for the Falcons

Player Target Passes %
Gonzalez 87 397 22%
White 93 397 23%
Jones 77 397 19%
Rest of Team 140 397 35%

That would be excellent thank you, I enjoy reading your breakdown of stats. I would have thought that losing Fleener had some effect but it looks like Allen has stepped in and Saunders has covered the blocking.

Here is the breakdown per grouping.

arians10games2.jpg

Overall they are still mostly in line with the first 5 games,

First down has moved closer to 50/50 Which is a good thing.

I would say the 2TE2WR set is the least predictable which it should be.

Here is a breakdown of the length of Luck's passes(ball traveling through the air), Overall, then first 5 games then the 2nd group of 5 games.

No major changes here, it's just he's been more accurate shorter which is to be expected as he gets more time in the league. He threw 6 fewer passes a game in the 2nd 5 than he did in his first 5.

luck1st5vs2nd5.jpg

I'm also a little confused on why its such a vertically minded offense when the major doubt pre draft for Luck was arm strength. I have only mainly seen highlights of his Stanford days but it seemed to be a run offense backed by short slants and PA deep shots. Also making use of target TEs, Fleener and Ertz (SP?).

As much as I'm a fan of Andrew some of his longer shots have been slightly off, when you combine that with throwing into coverage because he's being pass rushed and wants to get rid... Bad things happen.

there was no major doubt about his arm strength honestly...it's just people picking at something till they find a fault.

i like the offense and i don't see a need to change to the west coast offense. the problem i have is arians refusing to using the short passing game with any kind of regularity. we have all seen it from time to time so we know it's there, but for some reason he likes chuck it. given the ability of the offensive line...i don't really get it.

No major changes here, it's just he's been more accurate shorter which is to be expected as he gets more time in the league. He threw 6 fewer passes a game in the 2nd 5 than he did in his first 5

Wow quick work, thank you for this,so the play calling has been consistent, don't know if that's good or bad really. The Luck stats are nice in that gives me some comfort in that he seems to be improving on the shorter stuff on terms of consistency, though slightly worse on the longer throws. He's not been throwing as deep as often as it looks to the naked eye.

It feels wrong to criticise Arians considering our position, but I do feel like there is a heck of a lot more to come from this team.

One thing that bothers me about it is that the routes are a lot deeper in some cases, and Luck doesn't have time to let those routes mature, at times he's forced to throw to a shorter target, and do so in a hurry at times which will decrease his accuracy and even on some completed passes, the ball is still too much off target for the receiver to catch it and do a lot with it. Which is one reason for a lack of YAC. The home runs aren't developing and if he's lucky he can get a stand up double, but a lot of times he's getting single if not just fouling it off to save a sack. Or he's forced to locate Wayne and force a throw to him which is where the majority of his interceptions have come.

Since the longer routes aren't developing it basically takes the receiver out of a play and what good is that.

I'm just not sold on the approach.

You just blew my mind with that cross-sports analogy.

there was no major doubt about his arm strength honestly...it's just people picking at something till they find a fault.

Sorry I should have made it clearer that it wasn't something I doubted myself, just it was the going argument at the time, well till pro day...

Still he doesn't seem to have found his touch on some longer throws, but when you've got the distraction of being chased from pillar to post by D's I guess it's not going to be spot on!

Compare that to the ice age Brady had in the pocket...

Arians' offense has the potential to be one of the most explosive in the league. I think we have all witnessed its potential over the last few games when the deep ball light finally came on for Andrew and the running game began to be more effective. Much of the critique on this board mirrors what Steelers fans were saying about BA before he was forced out. It is who BA is, and it's not going to change. I do think this year is setting up Luck to set the league on fire in future years if BA and his system remain in place. I believe BA is consciously sacrificing some points and turnovers this year for more immediate success in the future. What makes this uncomfortable for fans and media is that it goes against the current grain of developing a rookie QB by essentially putting everything on the table for him (its almost the exact opposite way Carolina handled Cam, the Skins RGIII, the Dolphins Tannehill, the Seahawks Wilson, etc.). That says a ton about Luck and speaks to the weird mix of aggressiveness and conservatism that is BA.

Some of the positives we are already seeing from BA's offensive scheme include:

• 4th in 3rd down conversion percentage, trailing only NE, Pitt, and ATL. This is really amazing with a rookie QB and a ton of other rookies on O.
  • 6th in overall time of possesion and 2nd in plays/game, which is reflective of what many on here called for as a more ball-control offense.
  • 6th in first downs/play
  • For you advanced stat geeks, Luck is ahead of all rookie QBs and Newton in DYAR and QBR and barely trails RGIII in DVOA.

If Luck and the offense cut down on the TOs and improve in the red zone, I don't see how any one will be complaining about BA's offense, but that's just me...

Sorry I should have made it clearer that it wasn't something I doubted myself, just it was the going argument at the time, well till pro day...

Still he doesn't seem to have found his touch on some longer throws, but when you've got the distraction of being chased from pillar to post by D's I guess it's not going to be spot on!

Compare that to the ice age Brady had in the pocket...

i actually think his long ball has really improved. before he seemed to be trying to throw the deep ball to perfectly..now he kinda lets it fly and allows his receiver to go get.

Arians' offense has the potential to be one of the most explosive in the league. I think we have all witnessed its potential over the last few games when the deep ball light finally came on for Andrew and the running game began to be more effective. Much of the critique on this board mirrors what Steelers fans were saying about BA before he was forced out. It is who BA is, and it's not going to change. I do think this year is setting up Luck to set the league on fire in future years if BA and his system remain in place. I believe BA is consciously sacrificing some points and turnovers this year for more immediate success in the future. What makes this uncomfortable for fans and media is that it goes against the current grain of developing a rookie QB by essentially putting everything on the table for him (its almost the exact opposite way Carolina handled Cam, the Skins RGIII, the Dolphins Tannehill, the Seahawks Wilson, etc.). That says a ton about Luck and speaks to the weird mix of aggressiveness and conservatism that is BA.

• 4th in 3rd down conversion percentage, trailing only NE, Pitt, and ATL. This is really amazing with a rookie QB and a ton of other rookies on O.
  • 6th in overall time of possesion and 2nd in plays/game, which is reflective of what many on here called for as a more ball-control offense.
  • For you advanced stat geeks, Luck is ahead of all rookie QBs and Newton in DYAR and QBR and barely trails RGIII in DVOA.

If Luck and the offense cut down on the TOs and improve in the red zone, I don't see how any one will be complaining about BA's offense, but that's just me...

Fair points and well made. Though even if Andrew can handle it all can the supporting cast? Or are we simply focussing on getting him up to speed as quick as possible, mistakes and all, with a view to buying him a O line to work with next year in FA?

You make a lot of great points and the stats really back that up. I have two questions as a follow up to what you've written.

1. How much of what we are seeing is a result of Luck's spectacular play? In my opinion, Luck can make most offenses work because of his level of play, and most good QB's generally end up with their teams at the top of the offensive stats lists.

2. If Luck were in an offense that emphasised shorter passing plays, would his numbers be better? (He may have less passing yards, but also less turnovers, and a higher completion percentage.) I think it's largely Luck's level of play that account for the third down conversion percentage, and may be equal to or higher in another offensive system. But again, we may never know.

Also, to touch on the first sentance in your response, Arian's offense may have the potential to be one of the most explosive offenses in the league, but it may also lend itself to be very turnover prone. It constantly asks for the QB to make intermediate and long throws, and the completion percentages for such throws, league wide, is very low. We can't realistically expect to connect on these types of throws reguarly.

I actually somewhat agree with some of this, particularly with regard to the potential of the offense to be explosive. The problem I have is more about the play calling than the offensive system. Not only is the play calling often predictable, but we put a lot of stress on our substandard offensive line, requiring them to block while deep routes develop. We also call on our rookie quarterback to take a lot of shots downfield in between defenders.

It's ironic that Arians complains about his quarterback getting hit, when the play calling could very easily be adjusted to keep him out of harms' way. We can roll Luck out more, we can call more quick-hitting pass plays, and we can vary the snap count and stop tying it to receiver motion. All of those things would reduce the contact Luck takes.

The other advantage a more simplistic offense would have is that it would be more transferable to a different quarterback.

You mention that the decisions Arians is making with regard to the offense go against the current trend of adapting to your quarterback, rather than forcing him to adapt to you. I don't think the question is whether Luck can handle what Arians is giving him. The problem is that the play calling is predictable, and the pieces around Luck -- specifically the offensive line -- aren't good enough to support the play calling.

You make a lot of great points and the stats really back that up. I have two questions as a follow up to what you've written.

1. How much of what we are seeing is a result of Luck's spectacular play? In my opinion, Luck can make most offenses work because of his level of play, and most good QB's generally end up with their teams at the top of the offensive stats lists.

2. If Luck were in an offense that emphasised shorter passing plays, would his numbers be better? (He may have less passing yards, but also less turnovers, and a higher completion percentage.) I think it's largely Luck's level of play that account for the third down conversion percentage, and may be equal to or higher in another offensive system. But again, we may never know.

Also, to touch on the first sentance in your response, Arian's offense may have the potential to be one of the most explosive offenses in the league, but it may also lend itself to be very turnover prone. It constantly asks for the QB to make intermediate and long throws, and the completion percentages for such throws, league wide, is very low. We can't realistically expect to connect on these types of throws reguarly.

I would have to look up the numbers. But I do think Luck's numbers out of the pocket may be more efficient than inside the pocket. So, I would call more crossing routes, timing routes that take only 2-3 seconds to form before the throw is made to improve the efficiency from inside the pocket. Outside the pocket, he can see the throws. However, there is only so much you can do if the coverage is good, Luck should take the dumpoffs.

Our RBs, I know DB has dropped a few passes in the past and Vick Ballard caught a game winning TD vs the Titans but they should start becoming a factor in the passing game as well. Once that happens, it increases the efficiency of our offense and probably takes more time off the clock as well when we go up against quick strike offenses like the Pats etc.

I always felt that DB and Ballard both have good enough hands, hence Mewelde Moore was a wasted roster spot and thankfully he is gone. Involve the RBs and TEs more, and take fewer shots down the field, IMO.

It will make our O-line look good, offense look good and efficient, reduce turnovers, and put more points on the board than leaving them on the field.

Fair points and well made. Though even if Andrew can handle it all can the supporting cast? Or are we simply focussing on getting him up to speed as quick as possible, mistakes and all, with a view to buying him a O line to work with next year in FA?

I think we see Avery, Hilton, and Allen all coming together under the system. Hilton with 3 100 yard games as a rookie is spectacular and much more than I expected this year. Skill position wise, the Colts are in pretty good shape and the O line has made some strides too, but yes, I think the FO will spend some money on that spot next year and continue to develop the young players we have.

My main concern moving forward is the defense. We could upgrade at almost every position and I think that is where the majority of attention will be placed. A better D will take a lot of pressure off of the O...a balanced team will lead to a more potent and efficient scoring attack.

I think we see Avery, Hilton, and Allen all coming together under the system. Hilton with 3 100 yard games as a rookie is spectacular and much more than I expected this year. Skill position wise, the Colts are in pretty good shape and the O line has made some strides too, but yes, I think the FO will spend some money on that spot next year and continue to develop the young players we have.

My main concern moving forward is the defense. We could upgrade at almost every position and I think that is where the majority of attention will be placed. A better D will take a lot of pressure off of the O...a balanced team will lead to a more potent and efficient scoring attack.

I'm hoping that we draft D heavy and high, seems some good prospects upcoming this year on that side of the ball. Agree on the skill positions, even without the production from the likes of TY you'd figure it has to be a low priority with the glaring holes elsewhere. A true 3/4 pass rusher, safety, CB, O line, even ST players need addressing IMO.