Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoColts8818

1260 WNDE reports

52 posts in this topic

i don't agree with that at all. lowering the head or moving it to the side a couple inches is not a big deal when the offensive player is in a defenseless position....and that is the only time they are protected. even ted brushi, a hard nose player in his day, said the same thing on espn radio today. i know a lot of defensive players will rant and rave, but they will adjust and the game will be fine. i remember when players acted like it was impossible for a pass rusher to pull up under 3-4 steps....now they magically do it fine.

I get what you are saying. Yes, people learn to adjust their play based on their pocket book alone, but if a LB or Safety runs down a RB, WR, or TE and the player about to be hit moves ever so slightly the trajectory of the collision is now altered & just like clockwork the defensive player gets heavily fined. When was the last time you ever heard of an offensive player being fined? It's almost non existent.

IND_The Catch_728x90

I always laugh when I hear someone say "Can you imagine what the NFL & the zebras would do if Deacon Jones played today with his headslap technique?" haha

Referees would throw their shoulders out tossing yellow flags. Deacon Jones, by today's standards, would be expelled & exiled from the NFL.

I think they already have somebody like that, I think his name is Ndamakong Suh.

1 person likes this

I get what you are saying. Yes, people learn to adjust their play based on their pocket book alone, but if a LB or Safety runs down a RB, WR, or TE and the player about to be hit moves ever so slightly the trajectory of the collision is now altered & just like clockwork the defensive player gets heavily fined. When was the last time you ever heard of an offensive player being fined? It's almost non existent.

i'm not sure what they could be fined for other than cut blocks. although i have seen offensive players get fined for blind side blocks..or whatever they call them.

i remember when players acted like it was impossible for a pass rusher to pull up under 3-4 steps....now they magically do it fine.

This argument never takes into account power, speed, and sheer momentum either. Like a fully loaded semi sliding downhill on black ice; the trailer goes 1 way and the cab goes the opposite direction. My point is weight and speed on a football field cannot be stopped on a whim and a dime at a moment's notice. Like a F-16 jet spinning violently in free fall prior to the pilot ejecting with their emergency parachute. Tapping the brakes doesn't always stop kinetic energy or it's inevitable impact despite a defensive player's intent or best intent.

Sheer inertia cannot not always be curtailed or contained plain and simple. Newton's Law of Motion: "A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside force."

This argument never takes into account power, speed, & sheer momentum either. Like a fully loaded semi sliding downhill on black ice; the trailer goes 1 way & the cab goes the opposite direction. My point is weight & speed on a football field cannot be stopped on a whim & a dime at a moment's notice. Like a F-16 jet spinning violently in free fall prior to the pilot ejecting with their emergency parachute. Tapping the brakes don't always stop kinetic energy or it's inevitable impact despite a defensive player's intent or best intent.

Sheer inertia cannot not always be curtailed or contained plain and simple. Newton's Law of Motion: "A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside force."

again..lowering a target point on a DEFENSELESS player shouldn't be that difficult. in the ed reed hit he could have avoided it easily imo

i'm not sure what they could be fined for other than cut blocks. although i have seen offensive players get fined for blind side blocks..or whatever they call them.

I will admit Steelers WR Hines Ward, now retired, was fined once for a blindside hit once. I don't remember their opponent or player hit at the time, but you are correct. Fines have occurred on offensive players, but they are so rare I often forget when the penalty actually transpired.

again..lowering a target point on a DEFENSELESS player shouldn't be that difficult. in the ed reed hit he could have avoided it easily imo

I am not debating that a defensive player cannot modify their approach to wrapping up & tackling BOTT. However, contrary to popular opinion, there are certainly circumstances where this principle directly applies IMO.

RBs have been known to lower their heads and lead with the helmets to get extra yards...How come that deliberate act is never deemed "head hunting" on a LB or Safety ever? That bothers me...

i watch a crap ton

well, that would only be logical. i mean the refs are bad, but they aren't that bad...

nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree

I'm just saying that I've seen players like Brees, Brady, both Manning's, Rivers, etc take hits without penalty or fine that were far worse than some of the ticky-tack flags the Colts have received when players have contacted Luck.

Nothing to really to agree or disagree about. I'm just stating my opinion not asking anyone to agree with it.

1 person likes this

I always laugh when I hear someone say "Can you imagine what the NFL & the zebras would do if Deacon Jones played today with his headslap technique?" haha

Referees would throw their shoulders out tossing yellow flags. Deacon Jones, by today's standards, would be expelled & exiled from the NFL.

Deacon Jones, Randy White, Jack Tatum, Jack Lambert, Joe Greene, heck most of the 70's Steelers defense wouldn't stand a chance in today's league with the way they played.

I wonder how long Goodell would have suspended Lambert for tossing that Cowboy.

1 person likes this

not sure if they fined mayo, but they got arrington for 21k

How early does the stadium open for the game on Sunday? 10am or 11am? Sorry, but because of the stupid rules I can't start a thread and the Colts do not psot this information anywhere....

You know, I have to say this...Suspending 1game check to Ed Reed for that hit really ticks me off. #1 Ed Reed is not dirty & there is no need to make an example of him. He's a HOF safety for crying out loud. #2 Colliding straight ahead is 1 thing, but coming at a player at an angle is quite another. #3 Why does the defensive player get flagged & fined 98% of the time like it's an automatic forgone conclusion? It just makes my blood boil!

Are we all gonna wear dresses now? Toughen up, shake it off, and let em play refs...Geez...Give me a break... :slaphead: :facepalm: